All Comments on 'A Promise'

by woodmanone

Sort by:
  • 133 Comments
gmann57gmann57almost 7 years ago

Thank you for your story. I enjoy reading your stuff

C_frommnC_frommnalmost 7 years ago
Very Nice

Totally different from the Cuck or BTB story's. Thank You

NIGHTW1NGNIGHTW1NGalmost 7 years ago
Welcome back

Always liked reading your stories. Still do! I'm glad that you decided to be a part of Legends Day 2,and I hope that you'll write some more.

Good job on A promise. 5 stars.

Huedogg2Huedogg2almost 7 years ago
gave it a 4

I only have one question, where are the parents from, MARS? Who cares about what promises he made while they where married or dating. Their divorced and she's the one that filed. She also made the same promises. Yet she was out dating and fucking with the wrong guys. Yet he was the one who needed to keep his promises?

ihateraccihateraccalmost 7 years ago
okay wtf

first part great, that i understand alot of dumb-ass men are taught by there fucking idiot fathers to work till you drop....after reading the interaction between son and dad, yeah his father taught him to be a white knight.

So she was not happy, and begs him to be in the marriage and not just apart of it, gets a divorce....its her right....her choice.

Then the story becomes stupid...really really stupid.....parent know everything...ohh i am divorced.....ohh there were marriage issues....but they can get in touch with her....they know she needs help....he stays with them after making good money... he is not dating....his dad yells at him for doing what he was told/taught work hard, provide for the family, die on the cross as a company's bitch. where in this story did she deserve him?

Oh thats right, men dont deserve women, they pick us and all their work is done, did she try leaving before? counseling? anything....? no....yeah it is so his fault.

Oh wait she dates a scumbag and he has to rescue her....he does and she is like well maybe we should see each other again? wtf

He needs to die, all those knight bitches need to die. I worked hard i am a bastard, i was taught to not enjoy life....what about the money...you know she blew threw it. WTF.

Fuck your america thats says men must fix the shit that women break, there is literally 10,0000's of women that would love her life before the divorce.

But not white women, not in america, not now, it has to be perfect.

America the land where men must be perfect to stay married because women are taught to just let him do all the heavy lifting.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightalmost 7 years ago
The think I like about Woodmanone stories

is how straight forward they are. The good guy is a good guy that usually learns a hard lesson or two and carries on. I do hope Woodmanone keeps posting!

goalie52goalie52almost 7 years ago
Another Classic

Another classic from a classic writer. I am glad that woodmanone and many of the other great writers have graced us with their great stories and style of writing. I have a quick question. Is Dalton still working at the Double Deuce?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
an absolute pleasure!!!

He wasn't perfect, made his mistakes. I think he should have taken her first call, but none of the rest, if she hadn't been clear in expressing her regret for the quick divorce. But EVENTUALLY, he does man up enough to admit his mistakes, and correct HIS wrongs. True, what is missing is more of HER accepting HER accountability in this retelling. But we have to admit to ourselves that she was properly remorseful, because we ALSO have to believe he wouldn't have believed her if she hadn't been sincere. Throughout every description, she was always characterized as sincere. She may have lost patience, and had been erroneous in believing that he couldn't change. But that was sincerely how she felt (at that point in time). And she had been at it for two years trying to get through to him. I admit, I questioned the firmly telegraphed reconciliation for a second there, when she jumped right into expectations of him moving right back, thinking that may be she felt that NOW HER job was too important. But as quickly as she changed tune on moving down to him, as a reader, I was reassured of her love for him.

This a rare breed of story, here. Sadly, that makes it not for everybody. Obviously, one commenter has no idea of Midwestern values, or even apparently a basic grasp of the concept of integrity. I actually hope that you keep that snarky comment around to laugh at now, and later again. Most of us will be laughing at that comment WITH you because THAT is exactly the kind of audience member who needs to hear a story like this the most! But for the rest of us, this simple tale, well spun, and full of grace, sits nicely and in good company on this awesome legends day event.

Thank you very much for this contribution. Great Job!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
What?

In the first five paragraph he shrunk 3 inches and lost forty-five pounds. Tell me Evan though this is fiction how the hell do you do that?

tazz317tazz317almost 7 years ago
ONCE AGAIN THE COMMUNICATION FACTOR AND EGO

destroys a marriage, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Who needs enemy if he has parents like that!!!

He is what ? 26? and the parents conduct his life?? She divorced him after 2 years and now wants a revoke??!! Ha ha ha!!! Funny real funny!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago

So his brilliant solution was to turn the guy in for the robbery?

She could have done that! In fact, since he told the guy not to mess with her, he now probably thinks she did.

I guess with them getting back together and moving away it's probably not going to be a problem, but that part was...kinda dumb.

Still a pretty enjoyable story overall. Thanks for sharing.

Cog

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
The story of two MORONS

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Great

Another good Woodmanone story. Thanks.

Boyd Percy

BgsmithjrBgsmithjralmost 7 years ago
Good Story Glad your back

Hope for more westerns to help ptsd, your good so I keep rereading

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 7 years ago
Thoughts

"I promised you before, I'll always be there to protect you... always." - Except for when she REALLY needed it!

His parents didn't know he's divorced?

She could have a message more than "Call me!"

Why the POV shift when he was meeting Ally? Three paragraph's of third person between his POV!

With Remy there to protect her, why doesn't she go to the Police now?

Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 7 years ago
good story consistent character development

The story works because the husbands workaholic personality/ attitude is strongly connected to he rest of his personality. The husband's inability to grasp the seriousness of the wife's unhappiness is closely tied into the husband child like focus on himself. It allows the author to build up story in such a way that there it makes sense that a man this cannot see what the wife is complaining about will also NOT see that the marriage failing is mostly HIS fault

The one thing the bother me about the story is the use of term male pride . That was a cliché --in fact nothing about the story had any two Male Pride. The questions as to whether or not they would reconcile has to do with his the work vs marriage issue

rightbankrightbankalmost 7 years ago
Thanks for your participation in II

Let's hope they have learned a hard lesson about keeping promises.

Had to chuckle when his dad told him how much detail he knew about their lives in the city, everything except the divorce?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Bend to my will........

Sorry not buying it. She made the same vows, yet it's ok for her to break her vows..... naw the message is the same in almost all of these stories. Women can't help being contrary. But men have to be held to a higher standard? Who set the standard? 1*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Good to have you back

I much prefer the stories that have a happier ending... Where people grow up admit that they make mistakes and are are mature enough to admit them and reconcile. In the long run a deeper and more lasting relationship will be the reward ( spoken from experience).

For all those haters ...WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD....

Impo_64Impo_64almost 7 years ago
A very good story...

A very good story...why? because is about people who make mistakes, but are able to recognize it and try to mend them...That's what is relevant in this story...4*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Too sweet

Too simple, too bad. The characters weren't fleshed out, too one dimensional a ns weak

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Um. No.

This just dragged on and on but I stuck with it until the arrest scene. The police cannot institute a one-on-one identification of a suspect WEEKS after the incident. It has to be a photo array or in person line up.

Generally the protagonist is a wimpy twit. I could not identify with him at all.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Nice story!!

Nicely done! Glad to have you back! Ignore the Anony's that either have some serious self image issues or a major lack of reading comprehension!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
White knight bullshit

He leaned on his wife / took her for granted for a time, but he was working toward a goal. Like my leaned on me, when she worked toward her doctorate. It's what you do when building a future.

Unlike me, his wife got selfish and walked away. I stuck with my wife, long hours and endless months and all. And we're still going strong, 30 years later.

When Remy's wife walked, SHE ended all of his responsibility to her. WTF happened to HER part of "for better or worse ?" She broke her promise before he broke his. e couldn't see it -- but it was his good fortune. If she couldn't handle his working long hours, God help her if he'd become disabled and she had to actually TAKE CARE of him 24x7.

Oh, and his mom and day were complete assholes as well. When someone's wife walks out on their marriage, it's no time for some deranged, self-righteous "tough love." If i'd been his dad's friend, and heard his comment, I'd have kicked the dad's ass on the spot.

boatbummboatbummalmost 7 years ago
An Entertaining Read But....

....The notion that arresting Jack the perp is "the solution" to the problem is so absurd that I have to gag. As soon as he's out on bail, the shitstorm of trouble is gonna start! And even if he's convicted and goes to jail for a few months or years, what happens when he gets out? He's gonna come after the people who put him away with a lot more deadly force than a blackjack!

Now that I've had my morning vent, I want to thank you for the story. And since I'm a big fan of happy endings, I'm glad that both Remy and Ally managed to get their heads out of their asses and see the folly of their rigid, uncompromising positions during their unhealthy marriage. Here's wishing them a passel of kids and dogs and all the joy that life can send their way.... ;-)

MattblackUKMattblackUKalmost 7 years ago
A really good read

Sometimes, life works out.

There appears to be a whiff of something a bit off in the comments. Ignore it.

Pappy7Pappy7almost 7 years ago
Really good story, 8 Stars.

Well, I would if I could. Read some annony posts and I guess the mold buildup in Mommie's basement must causing some really tough rashes on their butts. Makes them irritable and snippy. One of the best stories I've read on here in a long time. Thank you for sharing your talent and wordsmithing with us.

HankWTullamoreHankWTullamorealmost 7 years ago
Usually love your stories

But, this one was a little too pat. The characters seemed contrived to creat damsel in distress for neglectful hero to rescue after figuring out being a workaholic is harmful to.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Nice

An otherwise solid woman just dumping a divorce on a guy for working hard makes you question her character a bit.

MrmacjrMrmacjralmost 7 years ago
Sequel?

nice well written story. It just feels that there may be more to the story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Meh

I didn't care much for the hero the way you've written him. The whole story makes for a character sketch of a guy who really never learned any of the lessons his life had taught(?) him to that point. He's a bit dense, this one, and so he's a dud for a character, really.

shareher4funshareher4funalmost 7 years ago
Pappy's got a moldy butt

The criticisms offered were constructive and accurate. You've got talent, try to be more nuanced and less formulaic. I gave it 3 stars, I'd add another half if possible.

Pappy, get some ointment for that ass crack mold, and lighten up a little!

LalawmanLalawmanalmost 7 years ago
Glad to read a new story of your's

Look, I am not a writer. I did like the story and didn't stop reading until I was finished. 4 Stars.

OnethirdOnethirdalmost 7 years ago
We learn

I was surprised at a lot of the criticism. Many of these people would complain about getting a free lemonade from a little girl's stand down the block ("Hey little girl, why don't you use Meyer's lemons? I expect a swizzle stick in my cold drinks!"); the story is freely offered and was requested and it takes effort. While the theme has been done before, I thought it was well executed. Yes, he was dense and didn't balance work and marriage- it is a common problem. Yes, he had to be virtually hit over the head to see the light, it the whole point is that he finally "manned up" and did the right thing. His ex was surprisingly forgiving- a woman scorned and ignored would usually move on, especially when married to a clueless Neanderthal. I root for people like this to get it together, not cut their noses off to spite their faces.

teedeedubteedeedubalmost 7 years ago
Fantastic

as always. I'm thankful that BR got you all to cough up some new stuff.

BillandKateBillandKatealmost 7 years ago
Thank You

I enjoyed this story. Real life (or it should be) - two good people do stupid things, learn from their mistakes and get back together to give it another try. Thanks for participating in Legends, I've always enjoyed your stories.

IaOldTimerIaOldTimeralmost 7 years ago
Welcome back

I SO enjoy your writing talent. I have read all of your stories posted on Lit, and many several times.

cpetecpetealmost 7 years ago
Nice clean

straight story of righting a wrong. " Mistakes were made" but corrections were made

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Good story

Not overly complicated and easy to read. They screwed it up and they fixed it. Dad was a little hardcore - "my way or the highway" type of guy but that played well in the story line. Thanks for the effort.

4 stars

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
A nice story of mistakes made and rectified

"I watched her leave with conflicting emotions. She had wanted the divorce so the hell with her."

My feeling exactly after my first wife asked for a divorce. I worked too hard, spent too much time away, etc. etc. It was all for her and the family we planned. It's pretty tough to buy a house without putting in the hard work first.

I came home from work one night to find Zoe gone and divorce papers on the table. I tried to contact her, but she refused my calls. After a month I gave in, signed the papers and sent them to her lawyers. I didn't quit my job and move away, but I did insulate myself from everyone I/we new and changed my number.

Zoe finally came to see me at work. I work in construction and she had to actually wait for the end of my shift. When I saw her, I spun on my heel and left another way. I didn't want the pain of seeing her after dreaming of our life each night. Besides, as I copied above, 'she wanted the divorce so to hell with her.'

I finally got a certified letter from her lawyer explaining Zoe asked to have our divorce procedure stopped. She was having second thoughts. I'd moved from our old rental to a newer smaller apartment and she didn't know where I lived. My parents and where I worked were the only ways she had to contact me. My parents stayed out of it and my job was off limits. Then she remembered our old postal address and sent a letter. By then I contacted my own attorney and started divorce proceedings again. She started it, she wanted it, I was going to make damn sure she got her divorce.

I guess she realized I threw her letter away when she was served. The next two letters came in registered. I signed for them, then sent them back unopened. Finally a friend of hers tracked me down when I was having lunch. She let me know how sorry Zoe was about everything she did and wanted to get back together. Apparently she realized how much she loved me (yeah, right) after she moved out. I let her friend know I was just following through on Zoe's request and the divorce wouldn't stop.

The next time I saw Zoe was the day after our divorce was final. Funny enough, she was with another guy at one of the restaurants we frequented. I didn't see her until a woman jumped from her table and ran off from her date crying. The dude walked past my table and muttered to me: "fucker."

Zoe remarried before me. Hell, she had two kids from the guy who called me 'fucker' before I even dated again. Women don't have a problem getting back into the mating game again, no matter what they profess. I was still single when she divorced and sent out feelers to see if I was interested in not. Not!

I'm happily married again, to a woman who appreciates my hard work. I still put in at least fifty hours each week, sometimes a bit more. But we have that house Zoe always talked about and after six years, our first child is on its way. My ex? A single mom who I do my best to avoid.

bruce22bruce22almost 7 years ago
Nice Light Romance

There is a divorce in the story but it was the lack of communication that was killing the

Romance and they both ended up very happy. Typically a romance plot without attention to the realities. Thanks Woodie for a pleasant read.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
So much hate for women! So much infantilism in men!

So many of the comments seem to be from members of the Misogyny League, heaping undeserved and extreme blame on the wife, who gave the clueless husband every opportunity to work with her to fix the problem. And why do so many authors of this LW genre create protagonists who are childish and self-centered--don't answer phones, don't respond to requests to talk?

maninconnmaninconnalmost 7 years ago
Loved it!

Always liked your stories, Woodman, hope you keep writing!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
So much hate for men! So much disrespect in women!

Where do women get the idea that if they could just get that stupid ol' lunkhead to listen long enough, she'll be able to explain to him how wrong he is. Then he would realize that she was right all along.

FD45FD45almost 7 years ago

The only suggestion I have is that for about 3 paragraphs, you went from first person narrative style to third person style when he was waiting in that restaurant for Ally the first time.

It was jarring. I think you could have related his nervousness and the situation without changing the style.

Over all, it was a good story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Kind of boring and juvenile.

It was painful to read these two character sabotage their relationship. The wife should have suggested counseling, and gone for a legal separation at first. If the self-possessed asshole still put his job before his marriage then she should have found someone who actually wanted a wife and family. The continued miscommunication and lack of communication was childish, and tedious to read about. I give them a 50/50 chance at best unless they both do some serious growing up. And the whole store robbery scenario was ridiculous. What if she walked in to use the bathroom? What if the store clerk was armed? What about security cameras, like the ones pointing at gas pumps to capture drive-offs?

Appreciate the effort, but it was lame. I comment only because you can do so much better. Please give the next effort more time and thought.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Some things best

left unsaid.

Had he not said anything about Ally to Jake, then he could have had the satisfaction knowing that Jake was going down without Jake knowing Ally having something to do with it.

After all when he gets out on bail til the trial Ally and her mother will also have to worry about the threat.

Mum is the word with that famous "Cheshire Cat smile".

Ib_SaysIb_Saysalmost 7 years ago

Yea it was pretty stupid of him to even mention Ally.

That aside the whole reasoning behind the divorce felt a bit thin, I guess too much telling and not enough showing to flesh it out made it difficult to empathize with Ally.

It seems like she lost faith with him, a little more blame should be laid at her feet for that.

The whole divorce felt a bit too contrived and strained SoD too much, the conflict simply did not feel strong enough.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago

I don't understand why she gave an ultimatum one night and left and filed for divorce the next day. It would be hard to forgive.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
A cute story

At least they worked it out, a happy ending .construction for a college grad. If was tired before he is wasted by dinner(tired)

DFWBeastDFWBeastalmost 7 years ago
Thank you!

Thanks sir. Always an enjoyable read.

Killian

carvohicarvohiover 6 years ago
Oh the comments...

Please ignore most of them. Cpete and HDK got it right; a good straightforward story about a couple with some problems, or one problem at least.

The guy works too hard trying to get ahead to build a life while forgetting who its all for.

This was a damn good story, a conquering hero, a damsel in distress, no infidelity, except for too much work, and parents who were there when he needed them.

This had five written on it from the first page.

Thanks,

Jedd Clampett

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
enjoyed your story... as usual

so i hope as well that this is a reignition of the creative spark so we can enjoy more from you sooner rather than later.

RA

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
5 Stars

I’ve read all your stories and just re-read “A Promise”. It’s a very enjoyable read. I hope you’ll contribute to blackrandl1958’s Thanksgiving Westerns. I never thought I would enjoy westerns until I read yours. I thoroughly enjoyed each one. Wish you were posting more often now, but thank you for all you’ve contributed.

rightbankrightbankover 6 years ago
I don't think he really learned his lesson

He didn't accept responsibility for the divorce. It was not a No Fault separation. Even just before lunch in the Italian restaurant he repeated the same mantra as every time asked about talking to her

"What do we have to talk about I thought? Ally said it all when she divorced me."

He didn't change,

He got his own way

.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Bullshit

Her actions i.e. divorcing him severed the promise(s) he made to her. This is drivel...

nestorb30nestorb30about 6 years ago

I like your writing and your story development is good, but your endings are very abrupt.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
A workaholic's fairytale fantasy

The husband was an ass who deserved to be divorced. If the gender roles were reversed, I doubt you'd have anyone speaking up on her behalf.

The father was an asshole. No doubt it was his example and teaching that turned the husband into the insensitive jackass of a husband who didn't care about his marriage until it was too late. In the real world, the father's advice would have just led to the husband getting arrested for stalking and him getting a protective order against him, because "camping on her doorstep" and "not giving up" is shitty advice when you've already missed all the opportunities to fix things and the other person has decided they're done.

I'm at a loss as to what his white knighting even added to the situation. The ex-wife could have just called the cops on the asshole rather than having the ex-husband set up a confrontation. All that sub-plot did was create an artificial scenario where he could pretend to be a hero, without actually being needed in any way.

This reads like the fantasy of a guy who fucked up his marriage, and dreams about a situation where he can swoop in and rescue his ex-wife from a scumbag (because of course her new boyfriend is a scumbag who, despite being abusive and literally committed armed robbery while on a date, she's unable to see the obvious without him there to point things out), after which she'll fall into his arms in gratitude without him having to change or even apologize.

Blech.

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketabout 6 years ago
Hum

One very self centered fellow who just can’t accept that by his own actions he shot himself in the foot. I did think the was a real quick inconclusive bit of writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
not believeable

I know the guy was a class A jerk and she should have left him, but once they were divorced he would never have got involved with her again. She made her bed now she should have to sleep in it and I wondered if while he was gone did she sleep in it alone.......?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Damn!

They both screwd up, but I believe it was for the best. When Remy's parent started laying the guilt trip on him, I'd of packed my thing and found someplace else to live. Don't need the head ache. As-far-as Ally's problem, it her problem not his. She divorced him, not the other way around, even though he was working so many hours and he did break his promise(s) to her.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Not sure why Ally is being blamed here, Remy was the one who repeatedly broke promises. He was a self-centered ass who put his work before his marriage. Of course, this is LW, so anons and others will want to BTB even in the husband was the idiot.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
I am sure that I read very similar story by another writer !

Few names and places have been changed but the gist is, someone plagiarize !

I suspect it is this writer. For that- 1* !

CumminginsiderherCumminginsiderherover 5 years ago
I can't say this story did much for me....

The guy seemed like too much of a dumbass and a dim bulb.

I don't see why the girl had to apologize at all, she was in the right. He was and still is, just a selfish loser. She would be better off without him and he deserved to be alone.

Usually, I can find some redeeming characteristics with the main character, but with this guy, I can't. You made him out to be such a dense, selfish, idiot that it took away from the story. I didn't care whether he was happy or succeeded and was actually only rooting for her.

It's not often you come across the main character who is supposed to be "likable" and you are supposed to "root for" but you find that virtually impossible to do because you made him out that way.

The story had potential but after the divorce part, I found no interest in the main character or even the story.

Sorry, but only 2 Stars and I feel that might have been a bit high.

notredame43notredame43over 5 years ago
Detroit i disagree

he did put his job up too high, but ive seen stories with the wife and (everything for the career being one) and no one really called the wife for her shit. he was an ass to a big degree thats true, but his fucking dad needed a beating. Stay out of other peoples shit, she left thats on her as he said and she refused to budge. they honestly should have stayed apart as she cant be counted on for good times and bad just as he put his work to high up the ladder. Shes not lily white in this deal at all, and that friend with the guilt trip, hey if you're so worried YOU take care of it

tazz317tazz317over 5 years ago
WHAT EVER IS GOING TO HAPPEN

Will,,,,the trick is to put up roadblocks to slow the motion from free falling, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Man you have GOT to pay attention to the POV!``

You jump around from first to third and back to first person constantly, sometime in the same paragraph. Please, pick a POV and stick with it through the story.

widowedidiotwidowedidiotover 5 years ago
Lesson Unlearned

This started out as a good story, but it just seems that this man never learned from his mistakes. Why does he have to leave everything for later? Seems that is what caused his divorce. But even after. He always has to do something first before he talks to anyone, even his parents had to wait for him to go to sleep first before he told them about Ally divorcing his ass. His friends are trying to help him and he makes them wasit until after he has eaten? And whats this jumping from first to second then third person back and forth?

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Good

Good story, good reconciliation. Too busy to talk, and both.made a mistake. Glad they gave it another chance.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
No. Not well written

Your main character was not believable - and I’ve got a nearly slut-like ‘suspension of disbelief’ when reading fiction.

The inconsistencies you forced upon your protagonist, inconsistencies your entire plot absolutely required, were so unbelievable that I had no choice but to bail out on your story telling effort, then leave this comment to point out, this irony; you failed to write a readable story Woodmanone. You offered me a story in exchange for my time - and you wandered around aimlessly, and as if that was your privilege.

-

It isn’t, so I’m leaving you.

JMSA.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
God! love your stories

This 90 year man has canoed the current, eaten at Big Springs cafe.

and in the 50s and 60s roamed the streets of St. Louis. Rode the comet,

eaten Iti food on Hill, married a nurse from Deaconess Hospital 65 years ago.

Thanks for memories.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsabout 5 years ago
That was a good story! 5*****

They both made mistakes, but not the big one. There is a future for them and I like the way it ended. Thanks. That was good.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
change in person from 1st to 3rd and back again

There was a sudden change in person about 1/3 of the way down page 3. There was no new chapter, no lines across the page to make a break, just a new paragraph. It really was not enough separation. The change back to 1st person was imo equally poorly done.

Alyssa's refusal to talk to Remy from moving out until the divorce didn't seem consistent with her trying to talk to him about his hours earlier and accepting his numerous promises to change. A short time would have made sense, but pushing to divorce without a thorough discussion allowing him an opportunity to convince her didn't seem to me to be consistent with her character before, her attempts to reach him later nor her willingness to move with him at the end of the story.

Schwanze1Schwanze1almost 5 years ago
Second reading

How about she makes an anonymous call fingering the bad guy? How about she gets in her car and leaves town? Ignore that and it’s a fun story

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Super abrupt ending...

... but otherwise a good story. He's a dumb ass and needs to get over himself but I liked Ally a lot. That woman was golden and had her priorities right where they should have been. I just hope he learns how to compromise some day or he'll lose her again. He was "my way or the highway" the whole story long and didn't really change his tune even at the end, as demonstrated by his refusal to move back to St. Louis. They have construction jobs there, too, Mr. Rigid.

Other than that my only problem was the afore mentioned abrupt ending.

"Can I move to Van Buren and we can get married again?"

"K."

The end.

jtwheelsjtwheelsover 4 years ago
Hope the lesson he learned stays with him

Ally deserves better but if satisfied with him who am I to naysay

Good story

26thNC26thNCover 4 years ago
One

One of your best. I enjoyed this one again. Great effort.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Great story !

Story well written, well sewed together, even if there isn't enough details and moments depicting the life at home to make me visualise or imagine it as a married life... So i could dread for the end of it. The streaks of stubborness in the two of them made me believe it could really happen in real life. - Tending sometimes on stubborness myself... But slowly gathering wisdom ;) - Not in an harsh way, but it didn't made the EmotionBar go bust from me (cry, laugh and/or have the urge to scream "Yes!" from a good twist) wich would grant you an "Outstanding" from me.

Excellent story, and a real joy to read none the less... still too good for only 4 stars, so 5 it is.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

Great story!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Good Story.....but.....

He's still and ass....just like most of us guys who let pride dictate their attitude and responses.

Artie88Artie88about 4 years ago
Far Too Long in the Telling

A promise is a promise... okay.

But I wish the author had promised to keep this from being so pedestrian.

It took far longer than it needed to tell the story of a promise made and fulfilled.

CRAP!!!!

Writing is okay, with some decent development of the main character, but no one else (including the heroine, who we still don't know at the end of the story, except as a weak silly little girl).

The concept of a promise to be kept is good, just the telling is weak.

COYSCOYSalmost 4 years ago
Liked it

I liked this story a lot. It was a little wordy, but it felt real. I could see two young people being stubborn and letting their marriage slip away. Happy ending felt good. Thank you

KRD19254KRD19254almost 4 years ago

Of course with his BS & MBA he could always find a job working for the 'Fielding's' from their Feed and Mill Enterprise in Steelville, MO. (I know different author but you MO writers stick together) both being damn good. Hooyah, salute!

YvesmiYvesmialmost 4 years ago

Don't like it. Very basic. What would she want him back for? Unreal.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Can't Understand

The comments blaming Allie, how many times did she try to talk to him about what she correctly saw as a problem. She Didn't want a divorce but saw no way else out of the delimma, in country speak 'she had to fish or cut bait." She tried many times to 'fish' but he wasn't biting so that only left one option. I think Gary summed it up quite eloquently by saying "Remy, you're an ass. You know that? A total ass." As for people sniping at Remy's father for "butting in", you run away, come into the man's home and whine like a three year old, Remy is lucky the old man didn't toss his ass to the curb. Unfortunately too many of us have acted like Remy at some time but he gets a chance at having a second chance. The story was a bit uneven in a couple of places, like changing POV without warning but I thought it was very well done anyway. Signed: BTW

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
I agree why want him back broke word for two.years and marriage vows from beginning

MBA and only making that little bit more than wife and putting in all those hours

Dumbass

You know how much most MBAs make right out of college

Storm113Storm113almost 4 years ago
NOT A NERD!!

Not even close. This guy is the anti-NERD. Good grades do not a nerd make. Nerds are socially inept, don't do well at sports, don't date hot women (unless they are Bill Gates), get picked on and don't fight. This guy is not a nerd.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Reply: Not a nerd!

OK, I will start by claiming that I am a nerd myself. So it is from this perspective that I give my opinion on your claims.

First of all, I have to agree with you on the MC in this story. He does not fit my definition of a nerd, either. Not at all. Him working construction during his youth alone puts his nerddom at question. Not impossible for a nerd, but highly unlikely. He didn't have any rule based special interests to speak of either, such as electronics, programming, table top role playing, or anything like it. This guy is not a nerd, I agree.

Here are some replies to your laundry list of nerd check boxes:

"Nerds are socially inept,"

True. Although most nerds either crack the social code as they grow up, or find a group of people they can relate to. How many non-nerds do you think you will find at college studying electro biology? At the local maker space fiddling with electronics? Working at Cern? But every nerd I have ever been close to does feel socially awkward out in "the real world".

"...don't do well at sports,"

Certainly true. There must be exceptions, but I don't know of any.

"...don't date hot women (unless they are Bill Gates),"

True for me when I was 13, but... As girls grow into women, a lot of those geeky ones crack the social code too, and some of them become really, really hot. Depending on what you find hot, of course. Also, some women who used to be popular because they were hot as teens were also hiding a socially awkward personality. They got away with it because of how they looked, but later in life may want to find a man that can truly understand her. And then there are the nerd hunters. Women who try going with a geek, and find they really like it. A bit like chubby chasers, but with nerds.

And then there is the sex... Go to any BDSM club, and you will find a whole bunch of nerds. Just saying. Maybe that has something to do with why some women like to date and marry nerds. When a nerd gets nerdy with sexuality, well, as with anything else, they go in depth.

"...get picked on and don't fight."

Mostly true, although this usually becomes a non-issue as people grow into adults.

The way I handled it was the way my mother taught me: Do nothing until you can no longer stand it, and then go ape shit crazy. Hurt the biggest one as much as you can, not caring if you get hurt yourself. And tell on them often. Bullies are cowards at heart, and will quickly learn to pick on someone else. I would also use any authority I could, in any way I could, just to maximize the annoyance level of dealing with me. I did not give two shits what those assholes thought of me, and why would I? They had already made it clear that they saw me as sub-human, so fuck them. And you know what? It worked. So well, in fact, that I never even got into a real fight. I only had to go crazy a couple of times, yelling incomprehensibly and throwing things at my tormentors. I would walk to a place where there was plenty of ammunition, as they were taunting me, and I was working up a rage. I remember hurling ceramic pots and even a bench at them. I guess I am lucky with my genetics, in that I am pretty strong without having to work for it. Anyway, I went so crazy that they would flee while attempting to laugh in their nervousness. I wasn't fooled.

And here is the real kicker about nerds: A nerd is someone with high functioning autism and high intelligence. That is what I now believe. I was diagnosed at 35 with ADHD and had autism spectrum disorder added at 43. Most of the patrons at my local hacker space has at least one of those two diagnosis.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
really

You really know how to show a girl a good time, "St. Louis's finest brew; Budweiser." Lotta nope, there.

FifteenyearscotchFifteenyearscotchover 3 years ago

So Ally simply wanted Remy to put their marriage first? She wanted him to cut back his hours to spend more time with him? She didn't care about the promotion & more money?! And she sat him down and told him this directly, in a calm and open dialogue??? This is the unicorn woman men are desperately searching for, Remy is a fucking jackass!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

A pretty good story about a completely self- centered A-hole. I doubt it matters where they live or what he does for a living, he will always be a self-centered A-hole. I think it’s a genetic condition for some people.

MightyheartMightyheartabout 3 years ago

Superb.

All divorces are not about Infidelity.

Such issues are real & everywhere.

Both partners need to understand & communicate.

Solutions need to be worked on.

Great

5* again

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Very good! 5*s

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

The Double Deuce, in Missouri, a guy with a mullet. Was this a side story to the movie Roadhouse? Let me guess, the bouncer’s name was Dalton.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

The MC is arrogant, egotistical and controlling. He wouldn't listen to the emotional outpouring from his wife when she begged him to cut his working hours and spend more time building his relationship with her. He ignored her calls after the divorce without giving her the curtesy of listening to what she had to say. When he finally met up with her he cut her off every time she was about to discuss their relationship. Even in the last part of the story when they were at the restaurant he cut her off telling her to wait until they've eaten before talking to him. Why would a women want someone like this?

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Stupid story;ine. All Ally had to do was testify against her boyfriend. The police would have arrested him and given Ally a protection detail until the trial was over.

BlueEyd2BlueEyd2over 2 years ago

He kept bouncing from being a 'tough guy' who keeps his promises, to a "woe is me" whoosey who doesn't. At the end, he doesn't pursue her, but she does to him.

He continues to prove he is not who he thinks he is, and has a very child-like personality.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userwoodmanone@woodmanone
I believe age and cunning will overcome youth and enthusiasm every time. Being some what of an egomaniac I believe my stories are very interesting. Only the readers can verify or disprove that premise. Several of my stories are based on my own experience or most have a little ...