A Promise Made, A Vow Broken

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was only a matter of time then, when I introduced a sixth person into our little get-togethers. Amy and I had started to date about 18 months after the divorce. I had been dating around at this point, not really looking for Ms. Right, when Amy and some friends walked into a restaurant where the kids and I were having a Saturday night meal. She and her three women friends were seated just a table away, and while I wasn't paying too much attention, my kids were on top of things for me.

"Hey Dad, see those women that just sat down?" Melissa asked somewhat under her breath. "They're all good looking, and three of them aren't wearing wedding rings."

"Jesus, Melissa, I don't need you to be my wing man," I responded.

"She's right, Dad. There's some wattage at the table," Terry added.

So I looked over. The kids were right.

"Shit. Maybe I do need you as my wing man," I said to Melissa.

We finished dinner. I drove, so I gave my car keys to Melissa and told the kids I would find an Uber home. I then went and introduced myself to the table of lovely ladies, who quickly invited me to join them. I sipped a shot of Eagle Rare bourbon while they ate.

"Did you just ditch your kids to flirt with us? What kind of a dad are you?" queried the long-haired blonde, Jennifer, who sat at my 10 o'clock on the round table.

"I'm a dad who knows his kids have good taste, so when they pointed out that three of you weren't wearing wedding rings, I had two choices: head home to watch a baseball game and get the shit razzed out of me by those very same kids, or come over here, maybe make a complete ass out of myself, but at least gain more respect from the kids. And they've always told me that it's just as easy to love a good-looking stepmom as it is an ugly one."

"Wow. That's some shtick you've got going there, big guy," said the married brunette at my 2 o'clock.

"Not a shtick, just a confident guy with two bright, mouthy children ... with good taste, too, I might add. So, are you the house mother here?"

They all cackled at that, even Rose, the one I was picking on.

"And for that one, big guy, you get to tell your story to the class first," she responded with a smile.

So I gave four almost-strangers the Reader's Digest version of my life, quickly going over my former 17-year marriage and subsequent divorce.

"Not good enough, Romeo. If you're such a great guy, how did the wife get away?" asked Angelique, the raven-haired goddess at my 8 o'clock. "There are three of us here who've been the divorce route, so we want to know early if we should even be wasting our time talking to you."

"Direct, I like that," I responded.

For the first time since I got divorced two years ago, I laid out my whole story, even the painful parts. Up until then, the only ones who knew the whole story were Traci's parents and my divorce lawyer.

It was uncomfortably quiet when I finished my tale. I saw tears in everybody's eyes. Hell, I had tears in my own.

"Well, that's one way to bring the room down," said Carole as she touched my right arm from my 4 o'clock.

"I'm sorry, ladies. I try not to dwell on the past. Look on the bright side, I got two great kids out of the deal, and my in-laws aren't too bad, either."

"Your in-laws? You've got to be kidding me," gasped Angelique. "Now you're stretching my bounds of belief. Nobody likes their in-laws that much, especially after a divorce."

"What can I say, I'm special."

"If you guys are finished eating, this round of drinks is on me. My turn to hear your stories," I said.

We sat there through three more rounds until I had heard everybody's story. Jennifer was divorced because her spouse was a serial cheater. Angelique and Carole's marriages had dissolved due to irreconcilable differences. And Rose has been married to the world's best husband for 26 years. She called him the world's best husband several times, and every time she did, the other three nodded their heads in agreement. This is a man I have to meet.

The women told me they get together for a girls night out once a month, so my being there was sort of breaking the rules for Rose. But Rose offered that if she could bring her husband to the next outing, then I could come as well, if I wanted. The other three agreed quickly.

"Can I bring a date?" I asked cheekily.

The six of us got together at the same restaurant a month later. I got to meet Shawn, Rose's husband, and came away from that meeting thinking he just might really be the world's best husband. We hit it off instantly.

The six of us continued to go out to eat on a monthly basis, and I began seeing the three unmarried women on a social basis as good friends. Sometimes we would do things as a group of four, sometimes me and one of the women would actually go on a date. Several of the dates ended up with us having sex - sometimes making love, sometimes fucking. They were all great in the sack, whichever way we did it, and I made sure that each of them was given my best - which always includes me going down on a woman. I like it tremendously and I think I'm pretty good at it, and judging by the screaming orgasms I got from all three, I think the women enjoyed it tremendously.

After about a year, Angelique and I became exclusive. I still remained good friends with Jennifer and Carole, but it was understood by all concerned that exclusive meant exactly that - although when the girls got together sometimes the bantering could get a little rough, even for me.

My kids got comfortable with Angelique pretty quickly. It took the in-laws just a little longer to warm up to her. I got it, and I didn't push it. A steady girlfriend for me meant that their slim hopes of Traci and I reconciling were fading fast. But I think they came to see the same thing that I saw in Angelique, and since the two of them and I had such a strong bond, I think it was just a matter of time before they felt natural with her, and started to show her why I thought so highly of them.

After Angelique had been with the in-laws about a half-dozen times, Judy took me aside from the others and said we needed to talk. She looked as serious as a heart attack, so I was a little worried that my family bliss was about to explode.

"Bobby, maybe I don't have the right to say this, but too bad, I'm saying it anyway," she started. "How long have you been dating this woman? Don't you think it's time you put a ring on her finger before somebody else gets that bright idea?"

I tried my best to match the serious expression on her face, but I was smiling ear-to-ear on the inside. When your ex-mother-in-law sees it ... well, I guess she was right.

"You're right, Mom. I need to lock this girl up. I guess I've been a little gun-shy," I said.

"Do it soon, you big lug," she responded.

I took Angelique back to Maggiano's for her 47th birthday about six weeks later. I told her to dress for the event, and was treated to the sight of her version of the little black dress. Since Angelique was not able to conceive, she didn't have any pregnancies, and her body looked like that of a 35-year-old, with her boobs having no sag and her midsection still being taut. I know she spent considerable time at the gym as well so it wasn't just about not having kids. The dress was about five inches above her knees, and was cut low in front to show some of her beautiful 36Cs. Heads turned all night long, and I barely managed not to drool during dinner.

We both ordered cheesecake for dessert, and our waiter came back carrying a tray with two pieces and a bottle of champagne.

"We didn't order the champagne," Angelique whispered to me.

"We didn't. I did," I whispered back. "It's for drinking right after I slip this ring onto your finger."

I had gone to my favorite jeweler after Judy talked to me and had him make me a custom diamond engagement ring. I thought he did a great job. Apparently so did Angelique, who started crying as soon as she saw it. I'm pretty sure there was a yes somewhere in the middle of all that blubbering.

We had a simple spring wedding. Terry was my best man. Rose was Angelique's matron of honor. No, I didn't invite Traci.

Even though I know it hurt Ron and Judy, I did not consider my ex-wife a friend. The only time we were together is when it was something to do with the kids. We were cordial when we were together, but unlike some people who can get over their divorce and actually become friends, that wasn't going to happen for me. I couldn't forget the disrespect, and if you don't forget, I don't think you really forgive. My kids eventually forgave Traci, and that's fine with me, she is their mother, but I don't ask about her and the kids don't volunteer information about her; the same with Ron and Judy.

Angelique seemed to get on pretty good with Traci when we were all together. I'm OK with that, because Angelique is her own person and can choose who she befriends. Again, we don't really talk about it.

Two of the times we got together after our wedding was for Melissa's wedding, and then Terry's. I was a very proud father on both occasions, and I wasn't going to let anything detract from my kids' big days.

Grandchildren started coming a couple of years after both got married, and then I got to see a side of Angelique I never anticipated. While Traci and I were both thrilled to be grandparents, "Grandma Angel" was absolutely beside herself with joy. Apparently she had a lot of maternal itches that needed to be scratched, so to speak, and the grandkids helped filled the bill. She was absolutely ridiculous.

Traci eventually married again. And then divorced again. And then married a third time. And divorced a third time. Angelique commented to me that she thought Traci was looking for another version of me, but just couldn't find one. She wanted me to promise her that I'd never leave her.

"I don't have to promise you that," I answered. "I made you a vow."