A Sea of Heartache

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"But it did happen." Peter just laid there silently, still wrapped in her arms. His mind was whirling a million miles a minute. He closed his eyes for a second to clear his head...

********

When he opened his eyes again, it was morning. Bright sunlight was blazing into the room. The sound of construction echoed off the crumbling walls. When he turned his head, he saw Karen's beautiful eyes staring at him. The sun shining through her hair gave her an angelic look. She looked as if she were radiating a white aura of peace and serenity. Even her big, beautiful eyes were smiling.

"Good morning, Sleepy Head," she said, kissing him softly.

"Morning. I'm so sorry, Karen. I didn't mean to fall asleep on you."

"I'm glad you did. Now I can actually say we went to bed together and woke up together," she giggled.

"Listen. About last night..."

"Shush," she warned, resting her tiny fingers over his lips. "No talk of last night until you feel like talking about last night."

"Deal," he smiled.

"Are you staying on Adamson for a while?"

"Depends on whether the dragon lady will let me. She's apparently the self proclaimed mayor of this little burg now," he laughed. "As you know, she and I don't exactly see life through the same shot glass."

"Well not to burst her bubble, but she's not the mayor. In reality, Conrad was the team leader. And now that he's...gone," she paused a moment. "I guess that makes me the mayor," she smiled. "And you have carte blanc here, Doctor Richardson. As a matter of fact, if you wouldn't mind, I'd prefer it if you took over as my doctor. I love Sandy to death, but that marvelous procedure you performed on me isn't exactly her strong suit. I'd like to make sure I have every shot at making a full recovery."

"I've got a pretty fair idea you will. But it's going to take time, Karen. Time and patience."

"Ha! This leg's is still there and aching like a sonofabitch. As far as I'm concerned, I've got all the time in the world to do whatever it takes to make sure it stays that way and gets back to normal."

"Normal is such a strong word," he smiled. "You'll be sporting that scarring for the rest of your life, and you'll play hell getting through airport security. I had to put half a hardware store in that leg. It'll probably make its' presence known every time it gets cold."

"That's a small price to pay."

"Well. Look who's up," Sandy smiled, walking into the room. "Have you lost feeling in that arm, Karen," she laughed, seeing Karen's arm still under Peter's neck.

"Oh no," Peter laughed, popping up into a seated position. He turned and took Karen's arm, rubbing it gently.

"It was worth it," Karen giggled.

"Peter. Are you planning on staying for a while?"

"I had hoped to, yes."

"Good. I know you don't owe me a thing, but If I may be so bold, might I ask a favor? I just discharged two, but we've still got twelve patients here and, frankly, I'm pooped."

"Can I start with this one," he smiled.

"Absolutely. You know more about the rehabilitative procedures after your bypass than I do."

"Sure. I'd be glad to help. We could just split the patient load between us if you'd like."

"Like!? Are you kidding? I'd be forever in your debt. I haven't had a shower in three days, or more than two hours sleep in the last two weeks. Wait a minute. What's the catch?"

"No catch, Sandy. Just split the charts up any way you'd like and stack mine at the nurses' station. I'll get a shower and round on them."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you," she smiled. In an uncharacteristic move, the frigid Sandy leaned down and kissed Peter's cheek, running her hand down his face. "I can't tell you how much I appreciate it."

"Get some sleep. I'll get on them here in a bit."

Peter took Karen's hands in his once Sandy left. "I think we've got a lot to talk about."

"I'd like that," she smiled.

"Well. I need a shower. I'll go do that and round on these patients and I'll be back."

"Promise?"

"Promise," he smiled, leaning down to plant a soft kiss on her lips.

"See you in a bit.

*****

"People are going to start talking, Sandy," Peter smiled, seeing Sandy stepping into the cavernous shower.

"Hardly. We are medical professionals, Peter."

"Listen Peter. I'm sorry about the things I said to you the last time we were in here."

"Water under the bridge, Sandy. Forget about it."

"No. I owe you an apology. A few, actually. To be honest, I think I was a little jealous. Had you not been here, there's no way I could have saved Karen's leg."

"Don't beat yourself up about it, Sandy. You're a good surgeon. And believe me, the price I paid to perfect that procedure is a price I pray you or no one else ever has to pay."

"Well I hope the opportunity never presents itself again, but if it ever does, would you show me how you do it. I mean, I've read all the literature, but I tend to pick things up quicker when I'm actually seeing it done."

"Sure. But I'd have to agree. I hope we never get the opportunity here."

"Speaking of which, what's the prognosis for this place. I see they're rebuilding. And a whole lot faster than I ever imagined."

"Believe it or not, the research they do here is groundbreaking. The things they've learned about storms, marine life, ocean currents and a whole host of other things is amazing. I'm no earth scientist or meteorologist, but everything they do here is benefiting mankind. And they're government funded so when they need something, they don't waste any time putting our tax dollars to work. Those are Seabees out there and the Army Corps of Engineers. There were boats and choppers all over this place as soon as the storm died down." She was standing there talking as if she were fully clothed: everything on display. Surprisingly, it didn't have the usual effect on him.

"Oh, I believe it. Given the brain trust they have out here, it has to be serious business."

She went on with her soaping, quiet for a few minutes, before she spoke again. "Peter. It's none of my business, but would you like to talk about what that wicked anxiety attack was all about last night? That was, without a doubt, the most serious one I've ever seen."

"Not really. Let's just say that a lot of things I thought I had buried came out to play."

"Are you ok now?"

"I'm fine. I just have a few ugly demons I still need to do battle with."

"If you ever need someone to talk to, my door's always open."

"Wow! Who are you and what have you done to Sandy?"

"I'm really not the snob you seem to think I am, Peter," she laughed. "I guess sometimes I just take medicine and my job here a little too seriously."

"And so you should. You've got a lot of responsibilities out here. Lots on your shoulders."

"What? No shot?"

"No shots, Sandy. I find I'm slowly turning over a new leaf."

"Let me know how that goes for you. Maybe I could take a few pointers."

Peter was pulling on a clean set of scrubs when Cathy blew into the room and, greeted Peter. Without a second thought, she stripped down right there, inches away from Peter, and stepped into the shower, chatting with Sandy. It dawned on him that he'd been hanging around in the wrong places when he was on the island. Again, the thought caused him pause. He truly was beginning to wonder about his sanity. The old Peter would have undressed and gone back in to try his luck with the two knock outs.

He walked out into the hall and called an old friend of his, Carolyn Bornstein. Carolyn was a doctorate nurse anesthetist and the dean of the NP program at the university.

"Hi, Beautiful. Miss me?" Peter used his best perv voice, breathing heavily. Carolyn knew it well.

"Well hello there you poor excuse for a surgeon. How the hell are you?"

"Hanging tough, Carolyn. You know me."

"All too well, I'm afraid. Seriously, Peter. How are you?"

"Getting better by the day, Sweetie. Living life."

"Getting better enough to come back and share those awesome gifts of yours with the masses?"

"Yeah, not so much. I find I truly like what I'm doing up here."

"You're Mother Theresa with a four million dollar boat," she laughed. "So, to what do I owe the pleasant honor of this unexpected phone call?" Peter went on to explain Adele's situation and sing her praises."

"Boy are you ever in luck. The Hollingsworth Grant is still open. That's a full ride. I'd have to see her records, but most of the classes she'd need, she should have already taken. She'd just need the anesthetist's program."

"Would it be ok if I put her in touch with you? I'm currently dealing with the aftermath of a wicked storm on one of the islands."

"Sure. Give her my name and number. But have her call me right away. I'll put an admin hold on the Hollingsworth applications for a day or two, wink wink," she laughed. "What's her name? I'll see if I can't dig up her school records from the nurses' registry." He did.

"And you wonder why you're my favorite anesthetist. I really appreciate this, Carolyn. I'll call her now and have her call you right away."

"Glad to do it, Hon. Anything else?"

"Just that I love yah, Baby," he laughed.

"Yeah, yeah. It seems to me you had the opportunity to show that love and you let that ship sail."

"Wrong time, wrong place, Carolyn."

"I know. I was just getting my digs in. Ok, Pookie. Have her call me. And keep in touch."

Peter called Adele immediately. She was elated. She assured him that she'd call Carolyn as soon as they hung up and thanked him profusely.

"One of your conquests," Sandy giggled, coming out of the locker room.

"Hardly. Just trying to help out a friend who shows some serious aptitude toward anesthesiology.

"What are you talking about?"

"This friend of mine shows a strong affinity for anesthesiology. I just made a call and got her in touch with someone who can make her affinity a reality."

"You what? You? You actually did something for someone else? What ungodly sex acts did she have to perform for that honor?"

"That hurt, Sandy." Peter walked away.

"Peter! I was just teasing. Jeez! Lighten up."

"You'll have to forgive me, Sandy, but usually comments like that, coming from you, are meant to wound."

"I thought we'd done the whole water under the bridge thing?"

"We did. I'm sorry. I've just got lots on my mind. I need to get cracking on these patients. Go get yourself a nice, long sleep. Take your time. I'll stop in and see them all." Peter walked off.

Peter rounded on all twelve patients in no time. All of them were well on the road to recovery. He'd sent a few down for XRays to check their progress, ordered some labs, pulled some stitches and even discharged one with a set of crutches and some mild pain relievers. When he finished, he returned to Karen's room.

"I was beginning to think you changed your mind and left," she smiled, her arms out. "Would I be out of line if I asked for a hug?"

"Not at all," he smiled, wrapping her in his arms.

"So. Let me do some doctor stuff here and we'll see where we stand."

"You're welcome to play doctor with me any time you'd like," she giggled.

"I'll keep that in mind. But for now, we're going to need to get those stitches out, get that leg casted and see about getting you up on some crutches."

"You mean I'll be mobile again? Whoo hoo!! Two weeks in this bed has about driven me stir crazy."

"Mobile on a limited basis. You're going to need to take it slow for a while."

"Peter, would you please pull this Foley. It's driving me insane. They changed it three days ago and I swear they've somehow got it in wrong. I'm sure I can manage a bed urinal."

"Want me to get a nurse?"

"Really? You've seen more of me than I have."

"Just making sure you're comfortable."

"I think we blew that concern out of the water a long time ago. And, for the record, I'd like to keep it out of the water when I'm mobile again. If you'd like to, of course?"

"I'd like that too," he smiled, placing a pad under her. "Breathe through your mouth, Karen. Big breath." He deflated the ball and had the Foley out in a flash, quickly placing a bed urinal against her.

"Oh God! As unsexy as this may sound, it just feels sooo good to pee normally again," she giggled.

"Nothing about you is unsexy, Karen." She looked at him with those big, beautiful eyes; melting him.

"And for the record, the Muppet is beginning to balance out."

"I can imagine. It's been almost two weeks. My legs must look a fright. At least I was able to shave my pits during my bed baths."

"Well, you'll be able to shave that right leg at your leisure, but the left is going to be a while. I'm going to pull the stitches from your ribs and the staples from your thigh, then we're going to take you down to Xray to get a look at that leg."

"How long will I be laid up, Peter?"

"I'll know more after I see the Xrays. If everything looks good, we may be able to get you up on crutches tomorrow."

"Anything to get out of this bed."

Rodney, one of the resident geeks, popped in as Peter was helping Karen onto a gurney. "Oops! Sorry, Boss," he nervously chirped, turning his back. Luckily, she'd been covered when he burst in.

"Do you not know how to knock, Rodney? What's up?"

"Radio message from the powers that be." He was walking backward, his arm outstretched behind him, waving the message. Peter, laughing, took it from him to end his discomfort, and handed it to Karen.

"Rodney. I'm covered. You can turn around," she giggled. She read the letter intently.

"Thanks, Rodney," she said, dismissing him. He couldn't wait to get out of there. Peter was betting that the only woman Rodney had ever seen naked was an anime.

"Don't mind him, Peter. He's our resident Sheldon Cooper," she laughed. "He's got the social graces of a corpse, but he's a wiz at plotting storm fronts.

"Anything important?"

"Not really. Just sending their best wishes for my recovery, passing the command of this place to me and officially putting me on medical leave once I'm discharged. Whoop de do! It's not like I have anywhere to go. There's nothing left for me in North Dakota, and I certainly can't spend a couple of weeks on a beach somewhere with this leg."

"Do you even have quarters here now? There's not much left standing out there."

"Not until they finish getting the new buildings up. My hut was one of the first to go. They've already sent the nonessential staff to the mainland on paid vacation. I guess I'll just take a room here in the hospital. They're supposed to have the living quarters done in a couple of weeks."

"Listen, Karen. No strings, of course. Totally your call. But if you're feeling adventurous, you're more than welcome to stay with me on the boat. I mean...you know, until your quarters are restored."

"What? Are you sure you really mean that, Peter?"

"Surprisingly, yes. There may be some credence to that theory of yours that baring your soul shall set you free."

"So, are you saying there might be the slightest glimmer of feelings for me under that crusty, studly exterior of yours?"

"Oh...I think that might be safe to say," he smiled.

"I had a feeling, but I didn't dare hope. Well, if it's any consolation, Doctor, those feelings are reciprocal. And in spades," she smiled, blushing. "And if your offer is sincere, I graciously accept."

"Oh, it's sincere," he smiled, leaning down to kiss her. Her hand immediately wrapped around his neck, pulling him down hard to prolong the kiss. Her return kiss was a hot, passionate kiss packed with emotion. When it broke, a lone tear rolled down her cheek. He gently kissed it away.

"Hey, hey, hey. What's with the waterworks?"

"I'm just very, very happy, Peter. I'm not going to have to buy a parrot and an eye patch and take this peg leg down to the pier to join a pirate crew. I've finally faced my demons and, if my woman's intuition is at all accurate, I'll be seeing more of you in the days to come."

"I'm afraid, at least if you believe the rumors, your' coming aboard Recluse will definitely qualify you as an official pirate," he laughed. "As for your woman's intuition, I'd say it's pretty accurate," he smiled, taking her hand."

"So what you whispered to me in the OR about my having the mystical powers to make you a one woman man were true?"

"Damn that Adele. She needs to work on her anesthetic cocktail combinations," Peter laughed. "But yes, Karen. In all honesty, I believe you could. But you're going to have to be very patient with me. I may have regurgitated my soul last night, but there's still a lot of flying monkeys swooping around up there." He pointed to his head.

"As I said, Peter, I don't expect you to whoosh me off to Cancun tomorrow for a whirlwind wedding. Just knowing that the potential is there for something other than a wham, bam thank you Ma'am is all I ever needed."

"I believe it's safe to say I can honestly give you that."

"That's all I ask. Now, what evil, painful things do you have in store for me?"

"Oh, the worst. We'll need to get a bullet for you to bite down on," he laughed, pushing the gurney out into the hall and down to the procedure room.

"Now. Let's get that brace off of you, get all the sutures and staples out and then get you over to Xray. Once I see how that's healing, we'll probably put you in a cast. How long that stays on will all depend on how quickly you heal."

Peter inexplicably adjusted her exam gown to maintain her modesty while he accessed her leg, unfastening the straps on the brace. It was obvious to Karen that he was getting frustrated having to continually move the gown back out of his way as his manipulations to remove the brace caused it slip back in his way. Just the fact that he felt the need to preserve her modesty tickled her. There was that sweet, childlike quality she always knew he possessed. He'd seen it all before, numerous times. Much more up close and personal even, she thought, remembering their wild, passionate interludes. While she was no exhibitionist, she had no inhibitions where Peter was concerned.

"Oh for God sake, Peter," she laughed, taking off the gown and tossing it to the side. "It's not like there's anything on this broken down old body you haven't seen before." He laughed along.

"Thank you. Old habits," he smiled, continuing his work, much relieved. She watched him work. Her smiling eyes never left his handsome face. She gently reached her hand up and ran it through his hair. He didn't resist. In fact, it seemed to calm him.

"A few little pinches here while I pull these staples," he smiled, staring into her beautiful eyes. He worked quickly, popping the thirty-eight staples in no time with not so much as a flinch from Karen.

"Well! If I do say so myself, I don't think you're going to have much of a scar here at all. Once the swelling goes down, and it's had some time to heal, it shouldn't be more than just a few thin red lines."

"If I have any say in the matter, no one but you and me will ever see it. I'm not worried about it." She was still smiling, still running her fingers through his hair.

"Ok. Let's get these out of your chest. If you would be so kind as to hold that lovely breast up for me, I'll make quick work of this."

"If I must," she huffed, teasingly. "I like it better when you hold it."

"Sorry, Kiddo. I'll need two hands to remove these sutures and, if I may be so bold, and with the utmost respect, it'll take two hands to hold that glorious specimen of femininity up and out of the way."

"What? These old things," she giggled, holding her breast up and shaking it at him, giggling.

"I've given up bragging because, well, as we know, ego can ruin your life, but this one will look like nothing but a line left from your bra cup when it heals."