A Second Chance

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Web_Spinner
Web_Spinner
2,985 Followers

"I am surprised, David. Kerry doesn't usually like to sit on a man's lap."

"He's not a man, mommy. He's Bobbie's daddy," she said innocently.

Amy and I laughed at that. We all had a quick bite to eat and then caught the skiff to our next port of call. This stop was more touristy with lots of shops to visit. We wandered around the village and I bought the kids some souvenirs. When we got back to the ship that evening we were all tired from all the walking we did. We decided that we were just going to stay in that night and order room service. We agreed to meet up at the pool the next afternoon. I fell asleep that night thinking about I had enjoyed being in Amy's company. I hadn't spent this much time around a woman since my wife had passed away.

-----Amy

When Amy got back to their room she ordered a quick dinner for Kerry who was tuckered out then put her to bed. As she lay in her own bed she thought over the day. She had been amazed to see her daughter sitting in David's lap when she had returned to the arcade. Ever since her husband had walked out on them, Kerry had seemed to have a distrust of men just like her mother. And she was taken with how David always made sure to buy something for Kerry when he bought something for Amy. And most of all he had never hit on her. Amy wasn't vain but she did know that men did find her to be very attractive and she wasn't used to being around one who didn't make a pass at her. She was actually finding him to be intriguing.

------David

I found myself looking forward to seeing Amy and Kerry that afternoon. I was starting to think that my daughter was right. I really did need to get out and start living again. Bobbie and I arrived at the pool first and I found two empty loungers. I put my towel and novel in one to save it for Amy. I spotted them when they came on deck and watched as she walked towards me. She smiled brightly at me when she came up. Today we chatted with ease. We still didn't discuss our private lives other than what concerned our daughters. I did tell her a lot about Bobbie, her school and her hobbies. When we decided that the girls had had enough water and sun it was Amy who suggested we meet up for dinner. I quickly agreed. We ate early and then took the girls to the arcade again.

The next day we would be headed back towards our starting point. We had one final night aboard ship. We spent the day together. We even got a few comments about what a lovely family we were from fellow passengers. Amy and I just smiled and went on our way, not bothering to correct them. It was that afternoon when we talked about where we would eat tonight that Bobbie surprised me with her suggestion.

"Dad, you and Ms. Wilson haven't got to eat in the real fancy restaurant yet. Why don't you guys let me baby sit Kerry in our room tonight and both of you go there. They even have a place you can dance after you eat."

"I don't know, sweetie. I mean Amy might not feel comfortable leaving Kerry with you."

"Geez, dad. She's sitting right there. Ask her." I could feel my face getting red.

"Amy, would you like to eat in the adults restaurant tonight?"

"That might be nice, David. If Bobbie doesn't mind watching Kerry."

And so it was set. I had my first date in fifteen years. Actually I just looked at it as a dinner with a friend. After all, it wasn't like we would see each other again once the cruise was over. Since it was going to take Amy longer to get ready, I took our daughters to eat. Yep, you guessed it, pizza. I then took both girls back to our suite and Bobbie played with Kerry while I got ready. At seven thirty I went to Amy's room. I knew she was beautiful, but she was a true knock out in her little black dress.

"We need to go back to my room, before we go to dinner." I said.

"Why, David?"

"Because I need to get my bat."

"Your bat?" she asked confused.

"Yeah, to beat off all the guys trying to steal my date."

Amy giggled. "I'll take that as a compliment."

I was the envy of every man when we walked into the restaurant. We were seated at a nice cozy table for two. I had a nice bottle of wine brought to the table when we ordered out meal. For the first time since we had met we opened up about our lives. Amy told me how she had fallen for her ex-husband and against her parents wishes had married him only to have him leave her and their daughter for another woman. I told Amy about losing my wife and how hard it had been. I was touched to see the tears well up in her eyes. After that we changed the subject to less emotional topics.

The food was excellent and when we plates had been cleared away I asked her if she would care to go to the lounge next door. Amy said she would like that and soon we were sitting at another table listening to the music and watching couples dance. The final night of the cruise they were playing all slow songs.

"Amy, I'm not the best dancer in the world but I would be honored if you would dance with me."

"I would love to, David."

I led Amy onto the dance floor and took her in my arms. She was the first woman I had held in two years and when her body pressed up against mine a jolt of electricity went through my body. We stayed on the floor for three songs. Her body seemed to meld to mine. I was in a daze when I led her back to our table. We danced one more time for another three songs and decided we should get back to check on the girls.

We took the elevator to deck nine and walked to my rooms. Amy was amazed at the size of our quarters. Both our daughters were asleep on the floor in front of the TV. I chuckled at the sight and told Amy to wait. I picked up Bobbie and carried her to bed. She only slightly roused and went back to sleep as I tucked her in. I kissed the top of her head and went back out to the living room area.

I bent down and picked up Kerry in my arms and told Amy I would carry her back to their room. We made it there without her waking up and I gently laid her in her bed and pulled the covers over her. Amy leaned down and kissed her daughter's cheek and then walked me to the door.

"Thank you for a wonderful evening, David."

"It was truly my pleasure. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed an evening like this. How about we meet for breakfast in the morning. I know Bonnie would never forgive me if she didn't have the chance to say good bye to Kerry."

"Yes, David. That would be nice." She quickly kissed me on the cheek and went back inside her room.

I returned to my suite feeling conflicted. For the first time since my wife had died I had a desire for another woman. I went to bed torn by what I felt. I cried that night, afraid I was betraying my love for my departed wife.

-----Amy

Amy went to bed that night with feelings she thought she would never have again. It had been a wonderful night. David had been a wonderful date. He had complimented her on her looks and had listened attentively to everything she had to say. And when he took her on to the dance floor and he had put his arms around her she felt a jolt flash through her. Amy cried into her pillow that night that she hadn't met a man like David to fall in love with.

------David

We met for breakfast on our last morning. Our daughters gabbed away about how much fun they'd had. Amy and I sat and listened. We would look at each other and smile. We would be arriving in port soon, so after breakfast we had to return to our rooms to pack and have our luggage ready to be taken off the ship. We told the girls to say good bye to each other. Amy looked at me and stepped in and hugged me. I held her for tightly for a minute before releasing her. I could see a glimmering of tears in her eyes as she looked at me..

"Thank you for last night, David. I had a wonderful evening."

"I did too, Amy. Here, this is my card. It has my e-mail address on it. Just in case, well, you know?" I said. I wasn't sure why I gave it to her. Maybe somewhere inside I didn't want have her leave my life. Amy nodded and smiled as she took it. Then Kerry ran up to me and held her arms out. I bent down and picked her up. She wrapped her little arms around my neck and hugged me and kissed my cheek.

"I wish I had a daddy like you," she said out the blue.

I was taken aback. I was going to miss both Amy and Kerry more than I had realized. I was too choked up to speak so I just hugged her tight. Amy hugged Bobbie and we went our separate ways. I looked back one last time just as Amy turned to look at us. She gave me a sad smile and I saw a single tear slide down her cheek.

Our bags had been picked up and once we docked we made our way off. I looked around but I didn't see Amy or Kerry anywhere. We had an afternoon flight booked back to take us back home. I hadn't realized it but I had hardly said a word to my daughter since breakfast. Once we were in our seats on the plane she looked up at me.

"You really like her, don't you dad?"

I looked at her startled. "Yes, Bobbie. I guess I do. She's a very nice lady."

"I can tell she likes you too. Maybe you should give her a call sometime."

"Yeah, maybe."

I then realized I didn't have anyway to contact her. I had given her my card but hadn't asked for her number or e-mail. I tried to perk up and spent the rest of the flight talking with Bobbie about our trip. For her the trip had been thrilling. I felt good that I had agreed to take her.

When we got back to our home airport we headed for the baggage claim area. I had just picked up our last bag when I stepped backwards onto someone's foot. I heard a woman's voice cry out in pain. I quickly turned.

"I'm so sorry," I said immediately apologizing. The woman on whose toes I had stepped on looked up at me.

"David?" she exclaimed in surprise.

"Amy. What are you doing here," I said equally surprised.

"This is where we live," Amy said.

I realized that while we had talked about a lot of things, we hadn't ever mentioned where we lived. I looked at Bobbie and saw her laughing at us as she stood holding Kerry in her arms.

"What?" I said to her.

"I can't believe you two didn't know we live in the same city. Kerry and I have already talked about it on the boat and made plans to see each other again," Bobbie giggled.

I had a luggage cart and helped Amy get her bags and loaded them with ours. She and Kerry had taken a different airlines but as coincidence would have it, we had arrived at the same time.

"Is your car here?" I asked Amy as we were leaving the baggage claim.

"No, we're going to take a cab home."

"Where do you live, exactly?"

"Over in Richmond Hills."

"We go right by there daddy. Let's give them a ride home," piped in my daughter.

"If you would give me a chance, I was going to suggest that," I said. "How about it, Amy. Can we give you and Kerry a ride?"

"If it's not really out of your way, that would be nice."

I was thinking that even if it was out of our way, I would still want to give her a ride home.

"Alright, if you will wait here with the girls, I'll get the car and pick you up."

As I went to the parking lot I couldn't help but wonder if it wasn't fate that we had met. Whatever the reason, I now believed that this wouldn't me the last time that Amy and I saw each other. When I returned we quickly loaded the car . Our daughters sat in the back talking and giggling all the way to Amy's. I helped Amy get their luggage into their condo and got a nice hug for my effort. She slipped a piece of paper into my hand and asked me to call her.

Bobbie talked all the way home about how great it was that we all lived so close together. I just nodded my head as we drove. I went to bed that night still conflicted over my feelings for Amy and my love for my departed wife.

Our first day back I headed into the office to make sure everything had run smoothly while we were gone. It was great to find out that there had been no problems. I had good people working for me. To thank them for their hard work every year I would have an annual picnic for my employees and their families. I would arrange to have a catered barbecue cooked on site. This year it was scheduled for the weekend after our cruise.

Bobbie started in almost immediately how nice it would be if I invited Amy and Kerry to go with us. It didn't really take any convincing for me to agree. On Thursday I called Amy.

"Hello Amy," I said when she had answered the phone.

"Hello David. I was hoping you would call."

"That's nice to hear. The reason I am calling is that my company has an annual picnic every year for the employees and their families and it is this Saturday. I was wondering if you and Kerry would like to go."

"Sure, David. I would like that. I know how much Kerry wants to see Bobbie. She asks me everyday when will they get to see each other."

"Great. I'll pick you up at eleven. The picnic actually begins at noon but I like to get there a little early to make sure the caterers are set up."

We chatted for a few more minutes and I hung up feeling good. I really did want to see her again.

-------Amy

Amy had been wondering if David was going to call her. She had even been tempted to call him but kept putting it off. Now he had called and invited her and Kerry to a picnic. It wasn't like being asked out on a romantic date for two but she would get to spend more time with him. She also knew that Kerry was going to be thrilled to see Bobbie again.

-------David

Bobbie was so excited that Amy and Kerry were going to the picnic. On Saturday morning, starting about nine, she would ask every fifteen minutes if it was time to leave. I had to laugh at her eagerness. When I did finally tell her it was time she raced to the car and was already buckled in by the time I got there. We pulled up in front of Amy's condo and just as we stepped out of the car her front door opened and little Kerry burst out running as fast as her little legs would carry her and leaped up into Bonnie's arms. I looked over and saw Amy standing in the door laughing.

When my daughter put her little friend on the ground Kerry bounded over to me and held her arms up. I reached down and picked her up and gave her a hug which was enthusiastically returned. I swore I saw Amy dab at a tear as she watched us. Amy closed and locked her door and came over and gave Bobbie a hug as I put Kerry in the back seat and buckled her in. My daughter ran around the car and got in beside Kerry and I opened the front door for Amy. Instead of getting in she stepped up and hugged me. I felt the same jolt of electricity surge through me that I had felt the night I first held her as we danced. I put my arms around her and returned the hug.

The drive to the park was fairly short. Amy and I mainly listened to our daughter's happily chattering away in the back. When we arrived and got out Kerry excitedly pointed at the swings in the little playground area and Bobbie asked for permission to take her little friend over there. Amy said it would be fine. They were close enough we could keep our eyes on them. I saw where the caterers were setting up and told Amy I wanted to make sure everything was in order. As we walked towards them Amy slipped her hand into mine and I felt a tingle of pleasure at this simple contact.

My employees and their families began arriving at noon and I made sure I was there to greet them. I introduced Amy to each arrival and was pleased to see they made sure to make her feel welcome. I did catch a few of them giving me nice smiles. They all knew that since my wife's passing that I hadn't dated. The picnic went great. The weather was perfect and the food was served on time and was enjoyed by all. We had some organized games like the three legged race and an egg toss. Amy stayed close to my side all afternoon and even helped me hand out the prizes for winners of the games. The picnic officially ended at five and by five thirty I had said good-bye to the last family to leave. The caterers were finished packing up and I loaded Amy and the kids up in the car.

"Thank you for inviting us, David. We both had a really nice time," Amy said once we were in the car.

"I should be thanking you for coming. I enjoyed spending more time with you," I replied.

We talked about how well the picnic had gone as I drove them home. I pulled up and got out to help Kerry out of the car but Bobbie beat me to it. We exchanged hugs all around and Amy and I hugged last. She looked up into my eyes.

"Maybe we can get together again," I said hopefully.

Amy nodded. "I would like that. Call me," she said. And then added, "Soon." She stood on her tiptoes and placed a gentle kiss on my lips. Again I felt the electricity.

-------Amy

Amy put her tired but happy daughter to bed that evening before turning in herself. She lay in bed thinking about the events of the day. She really had enjoyed spending time with David. She had thought that David worked for the company and was surprised to learn he owned it. And she recalled how welcome his employees made her feel. She could tell they all had a great respect for their boss and were quite fond of him. This just convinced her more that David was a special man. She fell asleep hoping he would call her soon.

------David

Bobbie waited all the way until Wednesday before she started bugging me about when I was going to call Amy again. She thought it would be a good idea if she baby sat Kerry so that Amy and I could go out together. One trait my daughter had inherited from her mother was her ability to read me like a book.

"Daddy, I know how much you loved mom. We both still do. She loved us both so much. Please daddy, you have to know that she would never want you to live alone and be unhappy because she can't be here with us. Neither of us will ever forget mom, but I know you really like Amy and it's time for you to be happy again."

I couldn't help the tears that ran down my cheeks as I looked at my wonderful daughter. I realized she was right. My wife would never have wanted me to pine my life away anymore than I would have wished that for her. As long as I had Bobbie I would always have a piece of her.

"Just when did you get so smart?" I asked her. Bobbie just rolled her eyes at me and giggled.

"I've always been smart. I get it from my parents. It's about time you noticed." I reached over and grabbed her and started tickling her as she squealed with glee and squirmed begging me to stop. I relented and hugged her tight as she wrapped her arms around my neck and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

I called Amy that night and asked her if she would like to have dinner with me Saturday night. Just the two of us. I told her that Bobbie had offered to baby sit Kerry here at my house. I also told her that I would arrange to have our neighbor's eighteen year old daughter stay with the kids. She often came over to stay with Bobbie when I had to go somewhere.

Amy sounded excited and instantly accepted my offer. We decided it would be easier if she drove over here since Kerry would be staying with Bobbie. I told her we lived in a gated community and I would leave her name with security and they would let her in. When I told my daughter that I had a date for Saturday night I think she was as excited as I was.

I was impatient the rest of the week waiting for Saturday and when the day arrived I realized that I was beginning to feel nervous. I felt like a high school kid going out on his first date. Luckily I had the help of my daughter who laid out the clothes I should wear. I got her seal of approval once I was dressed. The doorbell rang right at six and I realized that my palms were sweating as I reached for the door knob. When I opened the door and saw Amy looking absolutely gorgeous my nervousness changed to desire.

Little Kerry greeted me with open arms demanding a hug which I was more than happy to give her. I passed her to Bobbie and they ran off laughing as my daughter took her in hand. I was now free to turn my undivided attention to Amy. She seemed to glide across the floor as she stepped into my arms. My heart was beating hard as I leaned down and kissed her softly. Her lips were soft and warm and I believed they spoke to me telling me that she was glad to be there.

Web_Spinner
Web_Spinner
2,985 Followers