All Comments on 'A Secretary's Revelation'

by trigudis

Sort by:
  • 14 Comments
johntcookseyjohntcookseyover 7 years ago
Interesting

My dad always claimed my mom was the most intelligent despite his degrees and her housewife status. She was a secretary when they met - her traditional old-world parents didn't think women should aspire to higher education regardless of her stellar high school gpa. Never bothered my father though. In fact he bragged about her. Then again, he was a self-made man, secure in his own skin. Thanks for the story. As always, thoughtful. ***** (By the way, I downloaded a couple of your books on Kindle - they are working their way through the considerably deep backlog of books on my virtual nightstand.)

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
And...?

What's next? The story isn't finished. Does it destroy their relationship because his ego is hurt? Does it die because she feels she is better than him?

Too much left open and unsaid.

trigudistrigudisover 7 years agoAuthor
What's Next? Maybe nothing.

The story stands as is. Jennifer isn't inclined to throw her superior intelligence up to Kevin. On the other hand, the dynamic between them could change, thereby paving the way for a sequel. I'm also thinking about creating a new story (different characters and setting) using a similar theme. We'll see.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Problem?

What's the issue here? That he got as 34, the same as her and according to earlier comments in the story in the 95th percentile (and two point higher than her boss). I also agree with previous comment that the story should be expanded a little more

trigudistrigudisover 7 years agoAuthor
He got a 17 on the Wonderlic, not a 34, Jennifer's score

The issue is that Kevin, college educated, with a greater fund of knowledge than Jen and with the mild sense that he might, cognitively, be superior to her (a view she shares before he took the test), gets a rude awakening, one his fragile male ego doesn't take too well. She couldn't care less, but it hits him like a bucket of ice water.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Wonderlic measures a very general intelligence

It doesn't measure fluid and crystal intelligence, both of which contribute heavily to WAIS. An easier explanation, which she should have seen when she was researching the issue, is that she is better at learning new things quickly in a work style environment versus her fiance, who is better at long term knowledge and deductive logic.

trigudistrigudisover 7 years agoAuthor
The Wonderlic...

does measure problem solving ability and it does correlate positively with the WAIS. Granted, intelligence is more than just what IQ tests measure. The beauty in IQ tests, if you can find beauty in them, is that they quantify intelligence as opposed to such nebulous concepts as "common sense" and social IQ, both valid to a point but not so quantifiable. My story is based on reality. Not to name the actual company, but I knew a secretary who told me that management where she worked wouldn't even look at perspective hires unless they scored above a certain number on the Wonderlic, college or no college.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Actually high RQ demonstrates high intelligence than IQ!

Many high IQ people are actually have very low RQ rational quotient. There is also a thing called lateral thinking demonstrates higher intelligence than an IQ test. Someone with a photographic memory may get a very high IQ value the Wonderlic personal test but may fail miserably on a RQ test. It is one thing to know a subject in great detail but it is another thing to apply your knowledge rationally. I don't believe that Jen is really that intelligent since she would have been near the top in her high school graduating class. This would have got her free university admission.

Also Jen does not have a knowledge base from getting a university degree. She may have a high IQ but she really does know anything other than general knowledge.

Jetcrash747Jetcrash747over 5 years ago
Learning proper or correct english.

Are you sure he completed college? His last conversation with Jill of "Cause it ain't so." Then this "It ain't so, Jen. And based on my lovely test score, anything you say in that regard will sound patronizing."

I myself never completed college but in any conversation, I use proper english which does not contain the word ain't.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 5 years ago
Nice

There is no reason for him to feel ashamed. Actually he should be proud of his wife. Also it's a nice confidence booster for her. It tells her she doesn't have to feel inferior to anyone. Great lesson learned.

Five Stars

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
The Lesson Here is......

Make sure you and your partner are equal in intelligence, otherwise there will be hell to pay later on in life.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Kevin’s IQ is in the 90’s!

There is no way that he would be good at Jeopardy. Since Kevin beats Jenifer at Jeopardy he is smarter than Jenifer since he knows more than she does. This test is not a true IQ test. The short time limit for test does not show knowledge. It just shows how fast you react.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

First off an IQ of 130 is good but it’s not genius level! Second you can “study” for an IQ test by doing many IQ type questions. It gives you practice so you don’t spend too much time on a particular question. You don’t have to answer every question on an IQ test to get a 34 out of 50. What you have to do is quickly read over over the question to determine if it is easy to answer. If it will take some time skip it and do an easy question. Go back to the hard questions after you do all of the easy questions. That is how an intelligent person completes IQ test. Also don’t guess the answer. It is better to leave a question than guess. You lose points for wrong answers.

Note there is the more important RIQ intelligence quotient. I have met, in university, many people with very high IQ’s but they were dumber than rocks when it came to RIQ. They had problems tying their shoe laces. To demonstrate RIQ, just look at all of the people who you think are intelligent who believe in QAnon!

chytownchytownover 1 year ago

*****Interesting read and so real. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usertrigudis@trigudis
Free-lance writer who enjoys reading mostly non-fiction but also Nicholas Sparks romance novels and "serious" lit (John Updike, Irwin Shaw, Philip Roth, Herman Wouk). I enjoy writing these stories because it entertains me as well as the readership. Lit is unique in that wri...

SIMILAR Stories