A Shadow of Scarlet (Book #3)

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Deflect Parry Punch. You see how it works?" She spoke clearly and slowly.

The girl nodded again.

"Good. Rule one:" Callie held up a single finger. "No fighting. No hitting. No picking fights. No getting someone mad at you to make them try to fight. Got that?"

Another nod.

"Rule two:" Callie added a second finger. "Do your homework. The scholar controls the warrior. Homework comes first. Always. If you have to choose between a workout and doing homework, you miss the workout. Understand?"

The girl hesitated then gave a reluctant nod.

"Those are the first two rules. There will be more. See you Wednesday."

The girl smiled for the first time.

"I saw what you did." The young twenty-something man who had been at the front counter when they came in was now standing nearby. "I saw you hit him. For no reason. Gerrard, you ok?"

Karen stepped forward, interrupting. "He grabbed me, or tried to. Twice. " Nodding to Callie she went on. "My bodyguard prevented him from succeeding."

"That doesn't mean you can just hit people. Other members. It's not allowed."

"Excuse me? Who are you?" Wolfe wanted to know, the chill still in her voice as she asked.

"Michael. I work here. I'm the assistant manager."

"Michael, I think you need to talk with your supervisor before you get yourself in trouble."

"I don't have to talk to anyone, I know what I saw."

"Do you? Somehow I don't think so. I also think I'll be having a talk with your supervisor. About you."

"No need, Ma'am. We will take care of it."

Two men in expensive suits appeared behind Michael. They were holding Gerrard's arms in a tight grip. Gerrard was standing on his tiptoes looking awkward as the two men restrained him physically.

"Hey, you can't do that! Let him go."

Michael protested when he saw how they were treating Gerrard. The men ignored him looking to Karen.

"Damage control?" Karen asked the two men.

"Police are on their way. Several calls apparently."

Karen sighed. Wolfe wanted to sigh with her. Callie looked impassive.

"I said, let him go!" Michael grabbed at Gerrard's arms to try to pull him away from the two men holding him.

"Sir, please step back and stop interfering. This is a mall security issue."

"You're not security. You're not in uniform."

Two more men, this time wearing security uniforms, hurried into the fitness center.

"Security, arrest these people." Michael ordered the new arrivals.

"Miss Karen?" One of the guards looked at the platinum blonde for instructions.

"He tried to attack me. Callie stopped him. Apparently the police are on their way."

"Didn't you hear me? I said to arrest them! Them too!" Michael pointed at the two men holding Gerrard.

"Sir, why don't we step over here so you can tell me what happened?" One of the uniformed security men steered Michael away from the rest of them. "From the beginning . . ."

Two

Wolfe watched as the police reviewed the video of the event on an electronic tablet, which another security officer had produced. They were at the tiny security office after walking there from the fitness center. Michael's supervisor, Nick, who was also the owner of the fitness center, had asked them to leave so that the crowd which had gathered could disperse and things could get back to normal. Karen had acquiesced once the crowd began to take pictures of her with their phone cameras.

It was hard for Wolfe to just wait. She knew she was quick to anger. She tried to compensate for it with etiquette and good manners, something Karen emulated though for a different reason. However, waiting for idiots to finish one thought in a long logic chain was still hard for her. She wanted to hit people sometimes to get them to move instead of stand around like clods with empty heads.

Whenever she felt that way she really had to watch what she said. There is a big difference between respect and wariness or fear. Too often people feared her because of her temper and didn't see the side of her abilities and personality she'd prefer.

More than once she'd ruined a deal after unintentionally saying something about being too slow or dumb. Those incidents had been awkward to say the least. The company had paid for her mistakes by losing business. Business which Scarlet had desperately needed at the time, though not anymore. Not since Karen had taken over.

People loved Karen, almost drooling at the prospect of doing business with her. Which was alright with Wolfe. Karen was better at that part of the business, while she was still better at dealing with Scarlet's needs.

It was funny in a way. Karen was Scarlet, while she was the official CEO of GreenWood. Yet they mostly did the other person's job instead of their own. Except whenever Karen had to act officially as Scarlet, Wolfe did everything for the club. Karen did the contracts and things for GreenWood. Other than that, there was no change to the way Scarlet ran. It was the business side which changed. For the better. Definitely for the better.

"Ma'am, do you want to press charges?" One of the police officers asked Karen after finally thinking his way through what seemed to Wolfe to be a simple process. Callie was wrapped in Karen's arms as the pair stood nearby.

Karen shook her head. "No. However, he is no longer welcome here. If he comes here again, I expect him to be arrested for trespass. I will leave it to you to explain all of the ramifications of that to him."

"Arrested? Me? I didn't do anything!" Gerrard protested and pointed at Callie. "She hit me!"

"Sir," one of the officers began. The three women, two brunettes and one blonde, left the office before he could continue.

* * * * *

That evening Wolfe watched Callie fidget all around the apartment. When they'd arrived home, Callie's sister, T Rose, wasn't at the apartment. T Rose still lived with both Wolfe and Callie, as she'd done while Callie was sick. Rose liked Wolfe's apartment and neither Wolfe, nor Callie objected to her still being there. They were friends and companions and got along well with each other. Wolfe didn't mind her space being invaded. Something had happened while Callie was sick that let the three of them share the space without friction.

Rose finally arrived home, bringing some takeout with her. Normally Rose kept the apartment clean and often cooked for them. Not because they expected it, but because Rose felt she owed them for letting her stay there after Callie got better and no longer needed someone to care for her. If she was out when Callie and Wolfe came home, they waited until either she called to let them know she wasn't coming home, or she finally came home.

Often Rose brought dinner with her when she was late. To prevent fixing something in addition to what Rose brought, they waited. Tonight it was Chinese on the menu. Rose brought in two bags of food for them all.

After they ate, Callie was still restless. She couldn't watch TV, couldn't concentrate on her on-line studies in Art History. Which she'd expound upon in a heartbeat if you even thought about asking. Yet, she couldn't study. Couldn't read one of her much loved mystery books either. She couldn't settle at all.

Rose watched Callie's restlessness. After the third time Callie prowled through the refrigerator, T Rose asked her what was the matter. Callie shook her head.

"Nothing."

"Not nothing." T Rose came over to feel Callie's forehead temperature. Callie almost angrily shook her off.

"I'm not sick."

"Well, you're cranky that's for sure." Rose snapped back at her. "Are you mad at me for something?"

Callie shook her head. "I'm sorry Rose. I don't know what's wrong. I'm just . . ." Callie waved her arms in frustration at her inability to express what was bothering her.

"You're upset. About what?" Wolfe asked directly, putting down the spreadsheets she'd been reviewing.

Callie shook her head. "I don't know."

"Yes you do. You just don't want to tell us. Is it something you're ashamed of?"

"No."

"Then what?" Rose lead Callie over to the couch and sat down next to her.

"I just . . ." Calle paused, unable to say what was on her mind.

"Callie! You can tell us. I'm your sister. Maria's your friend. You can tell us anything. This is not like before." Rose referred to how her sister had suppressed herself emotionally so no one would know her secret. Which had caused all sorts of inner turmoil and eventually lead to her illness.

When she'd been ill, they'd discovered that Callie didn't feel like she belonged anywhere. No one understood her because she was a lesbian. She'd kept it all bottled up inside until one day it all came crashing out. Now they both encouraged her to talk about her feelings instead of hiding them again.

Callie drew a deep breath. This was a test of her trust in Rose and Maria. She either did or she did not. There was no third choice here.

"I'm afraid."

"Of what?" T Rose looked at her sister. Callie was never afraid of anything. Not in her experience anyway.

"Of not getting strong enough again. Of not being able to protect Karen. Of not being able to do my job."

"Your job is a lot more than just protecting Karen. You know that." Wolfe kept her voice soft.

"I know. But today, I hit that guy with just about everything I had. He just said ouch when he should have been unconscious."

"What guy? You had a fight today?" T Rose was surprised. Usually Callie told her whenever she had to fight. She'd been home for hours and Callie hadn't said a word. Maybe that's what was bothering her sister; there was no stress relief.

Callie nodded in response to her sister's question. "Some jerk grabbed Karen. I told him to get lost but he grabbed her again. I had to hit him."

"She did a good job. No broken bones, no blood."

"And?"

"He is banished from the mall. If he returns, security will arrest him for trespass and he will be turned over to the police. Or worse." Wolfe was emphatic about that. She would not tolerate his presence again.

"And?" T Rose asked again with a rolling motion of her hand. C'mon, lets get to the good stuff.

"I hit him. Hard! He barely felt it."

Wolfe came over to the couch. Sitting next to Callie, on her other side opposite Rose, Wolfe wrapped one arm around Callie in support and friendship.

"You are strong enough to protect Karen. You will get stronger. Every day you will be stronger until you are well again. You know this. It will take time, but it will happen."

Callie nodded her head, but Wolfe could see that she didn't believe. She didn't believe in herself.

"You should go see your sensei. Talk to him. Tell him what you just told us. He is your teacher, your trainer, your master. He will tell you the truth. He will help you."

"I can't." Callie dropped her eyes and scrubbed at her fingers.

"Ahh, there is the root of the problem. You are ashamed of your failure. Ashamed of your mistake. Ashamed to admit you are human. Ashamed to think your sensei will reject you. Ashamed of your love. Ashamed about me."

"I am not ashamed of you!" Callie hissed, raising her head. Her eyes were brittle glass.

"No. You are ashamed for yourself. For hitting me. Aren't you?"

"No."

"Yes." Wolfe's voice was steady. She knew. She'd seen this many times with many people in the past for many different reasons. Shame was easy to spot once you knew what to look for.

T Rose nodded in agreement. "You are. You know you are. Otherwise you'd not feel so bad about it. Or about everything that happened today."

Callie refused to agree with either of them. Both Rose and Wolfe tried to cheer her up, until Callie said she was tired. Once changed into pajamas they went to bed. Wolfe in front of her and Rose behind, the three of them snuggled together like kittens in Wolfe's huge bed. Both Rose and Wolfe slept while Callie remained awake.

Was she ashamed of what she'd done to Wolfe? Callie didn't think so. She'd come to terms with that. Hadn't she? Her subconscious wasn't talking to her any more. Not after her fever dreams ended.

In the morning, Wolfe waited while Callie told her sister goodbye. Today, Rose was going to try to find a job again. Another day in the long list of days of job hunting. She was sitting at the table with the newspaper scanning the help wanted section. She circled the ads she was interested with a red felt pen. After a quick hug with T Rose, Callie left with Wolfe to pick up Karen at Karen's condo.

Later, at the office, Wolfe sent a surreptitious email message to Karen. She was worried. She'd known that Callie wasn't happy with her improvement, but she hadn't known how unhappy. On the surface, Callie seemed as normal as ever. There was no indication of any problem at all. But last night's admission showed that there was something wrong.

Karen sent an email reply back, then groaned as she stretched. Callie looked up with a question in her eyes.

"I think I need some time away from this computer. I'm going to take a break. Would you like to come along?" Karen asked Wolfe knowing she'd say no. Wolfe had a telephone call to make instead.

"No. I think I need to get this finished." Wolfe indicated her computer. "You know I'm still having to take work home."

"I know. And, you shouldn't." Karen's face softened with concern. "You need time off."

"We both know I can't do that right now."

"You will. Soon. Promise me."

"I will." Wolfe promised.

With a sharp nod, and a sharper look which made Wolfe look away as she remembered what an ass she'd been, Karen held out her hand for Callie. Hands linked they walked across the office. Callie wiggled her free hand fingers in temporary goodbye to Wolfe.

"So, tea or truffles?" Karen asked Callie as they headed out. "I vote for truffles."

"Truffles? After all that complaining about getting fat?"

Karen sighed. "You're right. Tea it is."

Calllie brought Karen's hand up to her lips and kissed it. "You can have truffles next week. One."

"One?" Karen protested. "Are you trying to torture me? Nobody can eat just one truffle."

"Self control is good for you." Callie was unfazed by Karen's false protest. "If not, then I can always chain you to your desk."

"Won't work. I know the number to the chocolatier. They'll deliver if I ask them to." Karen sounded smug.

Callie looked at Karen as the door began to close behind them. "Duct tape. Fixes everything."

The last thing she heard was Karen laughing before the door closed. Wolfe waited a few minutes before picking up the phone and dialing. The phone on the other end rang three times before being answered.

"Master Himura?" Wolfe asked even before the person on the other end had time to say hello.

"Yes?" Callie's sensei asked in return.

"I'm calling about Callie."

"What about her?"

"She has a problem."

Himura paused. "What kind of problem?"

"I don't know."

"You don't know, but you call to tell me that you know she's in trouble? What kind of joke is this?"

"It is not a joke. Callie has a very real problem. With her martial arts. Her skills. I cannot help her with it. I'm hoping you can. She needs your help."

"Who are you? How do you know all of this?"

"I am her friend."

"Her friend? Who?"

"I am the friend she hit a few months ago. My name is Maria."

"What do you want?" Chi's voice was now cautious.

"To see Callie well again. Strong again. Herself again. I need your help. Callie needs your help."

Wolfe launched into a description of Callie's physical condition, her workouts, and the worries she'd revealed the evening before. She'd only gotten past Callie saying she was afraid when Chi stopped her.

"Where is Callie now?" He asked Wolfe abruptly.

"She and her other friend are having a coffee break at the moment. Which is how I can talk to you without her knowing. Please, Master Chi. She really needs your help."

Himura thought about what Wolfe had told him. It wasn't much. Sketchy. He didn't even really know who was calling about his star student. What he did know was if Callie really did have a problem with her skills, then the person on the phone either wanted her to recover or this was some kind of setup for revenge over Callie hurting her. Either way, he needed to see Callie for himself and evaluate what he saw.

"When is her next workout?"

"Tomorrow afternoon. She's been going to the fitness center with us. The fitness center at the GreenWood Mall."

"Us?"

"Myself and her other friend. Callie does Tai Chi while we do a spin session on the bikes."

"Just Tai Chi? Nothing else?"

"She has a shadow. A girl who is imitating in her. Callie is teaching her while not letting anyone know she is teaching."

"That's not the kind of things I meant, but it is helpful."

"Helpful?" Wolfe was not sure what Chi meant but couldn't continue. She heard Karen and Callie returning from their break.

"I'm sorry, tomorrow at one won't work for me. I have an exercise class. Can we make it for some other time?"

The woman's statements seemed strange compared to what they had just been discussing. However, Himura understood that Callie must have come back to wherever the woman was and she didn't want Callie to know that she'd called him.

"I can be there tomorrow at one."

"Oh, that's perfect. Thank you very much. I will see you then."

Wolfe hung up the phone and turned to her friend and partner.

"Have a nice break?"

"We did." Karen handed over a greeting card. "I found this and thought it would be nice to send to Violet. What do you think? Too soon? I don't want her to worry and think we need her."

Wolfe read the card. 'Missing you' was all the card said.

"I think it's fine. She'll be back after she recovers."

"You think so?" Karen showed her anxiety.

"I know so. Violet needs this. Needs us and the House. It's like therapy. She will come back again."

"When do you think she'll come back?"

"Who can say. She could wait the full year. Or, she could come back tomorrow."

Karen looked hopeful. Wolfe just shrugged.

Three

Wolfe kept her head down and began the final sprint stage of her spin session. She was really sweating today. Worse than usual. Straining to keep the pedal RPM's within the green zone, she pumped her legs faster. And tried not to groan. Or scream.

Karen, spinning next to her, just looked at Wolfe and grinned. Karen's workouts were longer and more intense. But, with her being nearly a decade younger, it was to be expected. Karen would easily surpass her in fitness gains. Karen was in her prime. Healthy, strong, sexy.

Wolfe knew she'd never be as beautiful or as sexy as Karen was. This was not an admission of failure, or an attempt at sympathy, on her part. Karen was Karen. There were very few who could compete with her in the beauty department. Her best friend Violet was certainly her rival, if not equal, but few others even came close. Very few.

Callie often called Wolfe beautiful. But, with her long face, straight brown hair and rather plain looks, Wolfe knew the truth. She wasn't beautiful. Thank you Callie, she thought to herself. I love you too.

Still straining to stay in the green zone and trying to not think of how much her calves and thighs hurt, Wolfe switched her thoughts to worrying that she hadn't seen Chi. She wondered if he hadn't bothered to come after all. Or, he'd somehow thought they were going to be someplace else.

Putting her head down, Wolfe surreptitiously scanned the area looking for Chi. She'd never met him and didn't know what he looked like. All she could do was look for someone she hadn't seen in the gym before. After her quick scan, she still didn't see anyone who looked like they could be the karate master. All she got for her effort was sweat in her eyes.