A Simple Act of Kindness

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Okay, Doctor," I replied, feeling a little better, "But please tell me that I'll be able to walk again."

"I can't make that determination yet," he plainly told me, "But we're going to do everything we can, alright?"

"Kyle," I heard my mother's voice suddenly crying from the doorway of my room, "Oh, my God, baby you're awake," and then the next thing I knew, I was surrounded by my family.

My father held my hand, with silent, happy tears running down his face, as my sister and my mother both laid their heads on my chest and shoulder, weeping and thanking God that I was awake...

~~~~~~

"Do you remember anything, son?" Dad asked, once everyone had calmed down, wiped away their tears, and regained control of their emotions.

"Not much...the last thing I remember, is that I couldn't see anything, but someone was telling me that I'd been badly hurt, and that I needed rest," I said, "And then I went out again."

"Hmmm," my sister knowingly grinned, "I wonder who that could've been."

"What is it?" I asked, "There's something that you're not telling me, Laura; and I want to know what it is."

"Oh, nothing," she smirked, feigning innocence, "I was just thinking out loud."

"Bullshit," I spat, "Tell me what I want to know right now, dammit. Can't you see that I'm fucking hurt here? Son of a bitch, what the hell is wrong with you?"

"Who do you think you're talking to, asshole?" she growled, "I'm not going to tell you damn thing as long as you're being such a hateful bastard."

"You two knock that shit off this instant," my mother suddenly, yet quietly growled, surprising all of us with the language she was using, "This is a fucking hospital, not a God damn boxing ring so; shut the hell up this instant...both of you."

"I'm sorry, you guys," I softly said, feeling bad for the language I had just used, "And I apologize to you, Laura, for talking to you the way I just did...you, too, Mom"

"It's okay, little brother," Laura giggled, ruffling my hair as she leaned down and kissed my cheek, "I know you still love me."

"Yeah, yeah," I teased, "Just don't push it, okay?"

"Dammit, Kyle," Mom began to giggle, "Are you ever going to stop being such a smart ass?"

Just then, Doctor Lerner came back into the room and asked to speak to my parents out in the hall, and the moment they left, I looked around the room to see if my beautiful nurse was still there.

"Your pretty nurse told me that she'll be back in a minute, Romeo," Laura teased, "Doctor Lerner ordered her to give you some medication and she went to go get it."

Before I could reply, however, my nurse came walking back into my hospital room holding a syringe in one hand, and a packet of alcohol wipes in the other.

"I need to roll you to your right side, Kyle," she smiled, her beautiful eyes sparkling like two big blue diamonds, "I'm going to give you an injection in your left hip, okay, sweetie?"

After having been in a coma for the past six months, I had little to no upper body strength left, but with Laura's help, I managed to roll on my right side as requested, and when the nurse stuck the needle in my hip, I yelped, and said "Ouch! Shit, that hurts."

"Oh, my goodness," she excitedly smiled, "Did you feel that?"

All of a sudden it dawned on me that I had felt it, and in doing so, I grinned from ear-to-ear and told her, "I sure did, and I'm going to walk again, just you wait and see."

"Did I hear you say that you felt the injection that you were just given?" Dr. Lerner asked smiling.

"Yes sir," I smiled, happy tears beginning to fill my eyes, "I sure did."

"Well then," he grinned, "That's very good. I'm ordering an M.R.I. to be done on you immediately."

"That sounds fine, Doctor," I asked, "But what is an M.R.I.?"

"M.R.I. stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging," he began, "It's a noninvasive medical test that's going to help me diagnose and treat your condition, Kyle. However, before we do this, I need to know if you're allergic to anything."

"No, sir," I replied, "Not that I know of, but you might want to ask my parents, they would know better than me."

"He's not allergic to anything," Dad teased, "Other than one certain girl in particular, that is."

"Ha ha, Dad," I sarcastically laughed, "You're about as funny as a fart in a spacesuit."

Of course that elicited a chuckle from not only Doctor Lerner, but also a couple of giggles from Mom, Laura, and leave us not forget my beautiful nurse, who had those beautiful, deep blue eyes which I found myself beginning to drown in.

Dr. Lerner wrote down some instructions in my patient chart, and then handed it to my pretty nurse, who immediately took it to the nurse's station to pass on those same instructions to whomever was on the other end of the phone she began to use.

And with a pleased smile on his face, Dr. Lerner then slowly shook my hand while gently patting me on the shoulder, as he happily told me, "I have to admit that your prognosis looks absolutely fantastic, Kyle, and I'm going to do everything in my power to see that you walk again. However, I need to be frank with you and tell you that it's not going to be easy; and a lot of it depends on you and how hard you're willing to work. But, if you're willing to put forth an honest effort, then I don't see anything stopping you from walking out of here."

"I can handle it, Doc," I confidently replied, "And I'm so sure of it that I'm willing to bet you a hundred bucks that I'll walk again. What do you say, Doctor Lerner, are you up for it?"

"I don't think so," he laughed, gently patting me on the right shoulder, "Besides; I don't make bets that I know I'm going to lose."

~~~~~~

Because Dr. Lerner got it approved by the Hospital Administrator, my family was allowed to remain with me in my room for an additional hour past the official time that the I.C.U. visiting hours came to a close. And because she chose to work a double shift that night; which Dr. Lerner also got her clearance for, my beautiful nurse stayed right by my side to personally attend to any need I might have.

She went to get me some more water after my family left the hospital allowing me the opportunity to get a good look at her, and make no mistake when I tell you that I really liked what I saw. She stood about five feet, seven inches tall, her long blonde hair that was tied back in a ponytail hung way past the middle of her shoulder blades, which meant that it more than likely hung to her waist when let down.

Because of her fit and trim body, I guessed her weight at somewhere in the neighborhood of a hundred and twenty pounds at the very most. Her measurements were proportionate to her height, but the most riveting feature of all was her angelic face, nice full lips, fair complexion, and last, but certainly not least, her almost hypnotic, deep, blue eyes.

"What're you looking at?" she sweetly asked, when she caught me staring at her, "I don't have a booger hanging out of my nose do I?" and then she began to gently laugh, making me laugh right along with her.

"No, not at all," I smiled, "But I swear that I know you from somewhere. I just can't remember where; and you know my name so; I think it's only fair that you tell me yours, don't you agree?"

"Okay, Kyle," she smiled, "My name is Julie, Julie Smith."

"Julie Smith," I said, repeating her name aloud, "I knew a girl in school who's last name was the same as yours, but there's no way that she could be you, not a chance, but you still look familiar to me anyway. I don't know, maybe I don't know you after all."

"Tell me about the girl you knew in school," she smiled, "The one who had the same last name as mine."

"Her name was M.J. Smith," I told her, "And everyone always picked on her."

"Why did they pick on her?" Julie quietly asked me, "Was there something wrong with her?"

"No, there was nothing wrong with her," I said, "I thought she was a very nice girl, but because she was a little overweight, wore glasses and had braces, people were very cruel to her. I personally thought that it sucked that she got treated that way."

"What kind of person was she?" she asked, "Did you know her well?"

"I knew her well enough that I always said "Hello" to her whenever I saw her," I began, "But as far as what kind of person she was, well, let's just say that she was always very neat and clean, and nice to me, and last but not least, I thought that she was smarter than the whole student body put together, me included. Hell, I even broke up with the girl I was dating because she got mad just because I spoke to M.J. whenever I saw her."

"Tell me about your girlfriend," Julie giggled, "It sounds like she was a hateful person to get mad about something like that."

"Her name was Cindy Meyers, and hateful doesn't even begin to describe her, not really," I began, "We gave each other our virginities the summer between our sophomore and junior years in high school, and after that, she acted like she owned me, and went so far as to basically try and dictate who I could, and/or couldn't talk to. She also screwed around on me with some asshole from MTSU one year while I was at a football training camp down in Alabama. And to make matters worse, she gave the guy who was our quarterback, and a supposed friend of mine, five thousand dollars to hit me in the face with a baseball bat because she broke her hand when she tried to hit me because I broke up with her...what a bitch, huh?"

"It sounds like it," she giggled, "Do you have a girlfriend now?

"No," I quietly replied, "Ever since then, I've found out that I have a really hard time when it comes to trusting women. I know that sounds pretty lame, but I can't help it."

"I don't blame you, Kyle," she considerately told me, "And I don't think it sounds lame at all...not in the least."

"Thanks, Julie," I smiled, "I really appreciate you're being so understanding."

"You're welcome," she grinned, "And just so you know, if it had been me, I'm not so sure that I wouldn't feel the same way, but I will tell you this; not all women are like that."

"I know that," I said, "But right now I'm focusing on trying to be able to stand on my own two feet again, so; as far as women are concerned, they're the least of my worries right now."

"You'll walk again, Kyle," she sweetly told me, then impishly giggled, "I've got a lot of faith in you, and besides; if you don't...I'm gonna kick your ass until you do so; what do you think about that, Mister?"

"I think you're silly," I chuckled, and then yawned, "But seriously, I appreciate the encouragement more than you know."

"You're more than welcome," she caringly smiled, "But you're getting sleepy and I think it's time for you to rest, okay?"

"Are you kidding me?" I said, "I've been out cold for almost the past six months. Don't you think I've slept enough?"

"That wasn't restful sleep, because you were in a coma," she determinedly replied, "But sleeping because you're tired is better for you, since it gives your body the opportunity to repair itself."

"Oh, okay," I said, "I guess that makes sense."

"Of course it does," she lightly giggled, "Now I want you to try and get some rest, okay...for me?"

"Will you be here when I wake up?" I hopefully asked.

"I can't make any promises," she told me, "But I'll certainly try, okay?"

"Okay," I smiled, accompanied by another yawn, "I guess I'll see you in the morning then?"

"Like I said," she smiled, right before she turned out my light, "I'll try so; goodnight, sweetie."

~~~~~~

Chapter Four

I was awakened the next morning when Julie came in to take my vital signs, and while she was doing that, one of the orderlies brought my breakfast tray in and set it on my bed table.

"Good morning, handsome," she smiled, "How are feeling this morning?"

"You're still here," I grinned, delighted to see her, "I feel pretty good, but even better now that you're here."

"How did you sleep?" she sweetly asked me, "Any bad dreams, or anything?"

"I guess I slept well enough," I yawned, "And if I had any bad dreams, then I don't remember."

"That's good," she grinned, "After I finish feeding you your breakfast, I was...."

"Wait a minute," I politely interrupted her, "Do you think that I could try to feed myself?"

"I don't see why not," she happily smiled, encouraging me, "Go ahead and give it a try."

It was with some difficulty that I moved my right arm, but after trying for about a few seconds, my arm slowly began its trek up and onto my bed table. It was very slow going at first, but I eventually got my hand onto my breakfast tray at least.

However; knowing that I would make a mess if I went any further, Julie intervened, smiling and telling me, "That's great Kyle. I'm very proud of you; but I think that's all we'd better do for today. But if you keep making that kind of progress, you'll be eating on your own in no time.

"Whew," I exhaled smiling, slowly dropping my arm back onto the bed with small beads of sweat suddenly appearing on my forehead, "I didn't realize that just trying to move my arm that small distance was going to be that tough."

"You're going to have to keep working at it," she told me, "And because you were in a coma, as well as receiving an injury to your spine, it's going to be difficult for a while. But, because of the movement that you exhibited just a few minutes ago, it's not going to be impossible."

"I'm glad to hear that," I excitedly smiled, "And I'll bet that Doctor Lerner will be happy to hear about it, too."

"I'm sure he will," Julie said, pulling my bed table closer to me as she pushed the control button that moved my bed up higher so that she could feed me, "I'm going to feed you this morning. Is that alright with you?"

"Yes, mother," I teased, "I promise not to talk with my mouth full, and I also promise not to spit it back on you."

"Don't be such a pain in the ass," she giggled, kidding with me, "And if you're a really good boy, I'll make sure that the hospital clowns come in and do some balloon tricks for you," making me laugh along with her.

~~~~~~

"Hi, little brother," Laura smiled, as she walked into my room later that morning after Julie had ended her shift and was gone, "How're you feeling this morning?"

"Actually, I feel pretty good," I smiled, happy to see my sister, "I even moved my arm a little this morning."

"Really?" she excitedly asked, "Have you seen Doctor Lerner yet?"

"No, not yet," I told her, "But Julie worked a double shift so that she could be here when I woke up this morning, and she saw me move my arm."

"Is that right?" she knowingly smiled, "So; how do you like having Julie as your nurse?"

"Are you kidding me?" I smiled, "She's the greatest, not to mention that she's as pretty as can be."

"Hmm," Laura smiled, "If I didn't know any better, I'd think that you've got a major crush on her, Kyle."

"Shut up," I said, "It's not like that, we're just friends. Besides; she's my nurse, and she takes care of me."

"Okay, little brother," Laura knowingly chuckled, "Whatever you say."

About that time, Dr. Lerner walked in with a smile on his face, and taking my hand and gently shaking it, he happily said, "I hear that you moved your right arm this morning before breakfast. Is that right, Kyle?"

"Yes, sir, Doctor Lerner," I proudly replied, "You heard correctly."

"That's great," he happily replied, still holding on to my hand, "Would you do something for me, and try to squeeze my hand as hard as you can?"

"Of course," I grinned, and then proceeded to do what he asked of me. I could feel his hand in mine, and I could also feel the pressure I was exerting, but I still wasn't sure how much force I was using, but like I said, I could still feel the pressure.

"Okay, that's enough for now," he said, placing my hand back onto the bed, "That was really very good, Kyle. I'm going to send a physical therapist in here before lunch to give you some exercises to do with your hands. However, I've got some good news for you."

"What is it?" I excitedly asked, "I could use some good news."

"I'm taking you out of the Intensive Care Unit," he smiled, "And I'm having you moved to the Concentrated Care Unit."

"What does that mean?" I asked, feeling slightly crestfallen, "And will I still have Julie Smith as my nurse?"

"Relax, my friend," he chuckled, "The Concentrated Care Unit is where she's actually assigned. She was only here with you because the I.C.U was short handed for a couple of days."

"That's good," I replied, the relief clearly written across my face, "But you still haven't told me what the Concentrated Care Unit is."

"It's where your particular type of injury can be better treated," he informed me, "And the staff members that are assigned to that ward are very familiar with cases such as yours. In other words, by putting you on that ward, your chances of making a full recovery are increased by at least eighty to ninety percent."

"No kidding?" I chuckled, "Well then, I'm all for that."

"That's good," he laughed, "In a few minutes, someone from the Radiology Department will be here to take you down to get another M.R.I. done on you, and your new room should be ready by the time you're finished. How does that sound?"

"That sounds great to me," I smiled, "That way I can..."

"Excuse me, Doctor Lerner," Laura gently interrupted me, "But is it possible that I might be allowed to go with Kyle?"

"Of course you can," he assured her, "But you'll have to sit in the waiting room while the actual procedure is being done, and then I'll see to it personally that you're allowed to accompany him to his new room."

"Thank you," Laura graciously replied, "He is my little brother after all."

"There's no need to thank me," he kindly replied, "I understand completely."

~~~~~~

The moment that I was placed on the table of the M.R.I. machine, a cage of sorts was placed around my head, isolating it and ensuring that I could not move it at all. Then the table electronically wheeled me head first inside of a rather tight enclosure, so as to be able to take images of my whole body. I could communicate with the operators of the machine, but there was no room at all for me to move...as if I could move to begin with.

For the next forty-five minutes, loud noises emanating from all around me assaulted my ears at an almost deafening rate, and I must admit, I was very apprehensive and couldn't wait until all of this was over with. However, Dr. Lerner had already informed me of what I should expect, also telling me that this particular procedure was necessary for him to determine what was wrong with me in order be able to repair whatever injuries I'd sustained.

~~~~~~

Ninety minutes later I was in my new room, and I had to admit that being able to see the sunlight as it poured through my window did me more good than I thought possible. Dr. Lerner could tell that the M.R.I. had kind of put me on edge, making me feel rather apprehensive. So; after Laura fed me my lunch, he told me that the nurse, a very nice, polite, and rather older lady named, Mrs. Linda Caufield, would be coming into my room to give me a sedative.

"This reminds me of when Mom used to feed you when you were just a baby boy," Laura joked, as she lovingly fed me, "But you're not anywhere near as messy about it now as you were back then."

"You shut up," I chuckled, "But then again, don't think that I don't appreciate what you're doing for me, Laura."

"I know you do, sweetie," she kindly smiled, leaning over and kissing my forehead, "Besides; I know you'd do it for me if the shoe was on the other foot, wouldn't you?"

"You're damn right I would," I quickly replied smiling, "And I wouldn't think twice about it either."

"Oh, that reminds me of something I thought about on the way over here," she smiled, placing a straw to my lips so that I could drink some milk, "I'm sorry that I waited until you were here in the hospital all banged up to tell you this, Kyle, but I wanted you to know how proud I am that you're my brother......I also wanted you to know how very much I love you," and then the next thing I knew, my sweet and precious sister, Laura, had tears raining down her pretty cheeks."