A Simple Act of Kindness

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I see," B.J. said, a pained look on his face as he watched me sipping my beer not only through a straw, but also with the assistance of a nurse, albeit a very beautiful one, but still a nurse none the less.

Then he looked into my eyes and told me, "If there's anything that I can ever do to help you, Kyle, I want you to call me, okay?"

"Okay," I grinned, "You'll be the first person I call...is that alright with you?"

"Sure," he chuckled, and then as he turned to the girls who were sitting at the table with us, which until then I hadn't really taken notice of; he motioned with his head toward them, and then with a lecherous grin on his face, said, "By the way, when was the last time you had some good lovin, old buddy? You can have any one of these girls you want, just say the word and I'll make it happen."

I don't know how I knew this, but I suddenly felt Julie growing uncomfortable as she sat beside me, and in doing so, I knew that to even kid with B.J. about taking him up on his offer would somehow hurt her feelings. So, with that in mind, I simply smiled and told him, "I really appreciate it, my friend, but I have other things I need to concentrate on, and I'm just not ready for that right now, okay?"

"I think I understand, Kyle," he knowingly smiled at me, quickly glancing back and forth between Julie and myself, "I don't know how I know this, but I don't think that you'll ever be ready, and I'm really happy about that, too."

"Huh?" I stupidly asked, "What're you talking about, man?"

"You'll see for yourself," he grinned, "And when that time comes, I want to be the first one that you call."

"Call you for what?" I said, still not having the slightest idea what he meant, "What in the hell are you talking about?"

"Don't worry about it right now," he began to openly laugh, "You'll know when the time is right?"

"You watch too many movies," I chuckled, shaking my head, "Silly asshole."

"I think we'd better get you back to your room, Kyle," Julie widely smiled, gently placing her hand on my shoulder and lightly squeezing it, "Otherwise they're going to come looking for us, okay sweetie?"

"Okay," I grinned, and then looked at B.J., "She's right, brother. I need to go, but I'm out of I.C.U. now so; you can come see me during normal visiting hours; and you'd better damn well do it, too."

"Oh, hey that's great," B.J. brightly chuckled, "What's your room number?"

"He's in room three forty-four," Julie told him, then she stood up, and after grabbing the handles on the back of my wheelchair, she leaned down until her mouth was next to my ear and then happily told me, "Come on, Tiger; it's getting late, so; let's get you back."

"You take care of yourself, bro," B.J. told me, as he bent down and shook my hand, "I'll come and see you soon, I promise."

"Okay," I cordially smiled, "I'm looking forward to it..."

~~~~~~

Once I was back in my hospital room and settled back into bed, Julie gently took my hand, and then with a look on her face that was different from any I'd seen thus far, she softly said, "You can tell me that it's none of my business, Kyle, but can I ask you a question?"

"Of course," I quietly replied, "You know that you can ask me anything you want."

"Alright then," she uncomfortably began, "When your friend, B.J., asked you if you wanted one of those girls back there in the bar...um...well...why didn't you...um...why didn't you take him up on his offer?"

I thought for a couple of seconds before I answered, but when I finally scraped the up the courage to answer her, I looked into Julie's beautiful blue eyes and plainly told her, "Well, there are two reasons actually. The first reason is because of the obvious, and that's because I'm not really able right now...but...that's not the main reason," and then out of pure embarrassment, I hung my head and couldn't say a single word."

"What is the main reason?" she hopefully asked, "You know that you can tell me anything and that it won't go any further than you and me, don't you?"

"You don't want to know, Julie," I quietly told her, my face turning red from embarrassment "I mean...if I told you the real reason why I didn't want to go with any of those girls you'd think I was crazy, and I know for a fact that you wouldn't want anything else to do with me; and to be totally honest with you...I really couldn't take that."

"Why don't you try me, Kyle?" she tenderly, but knowingly smiled, "You know...you just might be surprised."

"Okay, but don't say that I didn't warn you," I said, and then decided to tell her the truth, preparing myself for the worst, "The real reason that I didn't want to go with any of those girls is because...ever since I met you and you started taking care of me, I'm beginning to feel a certain way about you that you're going to think is very inappropriate."

"Is that right?" she lightly giggled, "I don't think I understand so; perhaps maybe you should elaborate a little more."

"See?" I snapped, becoming angry because she was laughing at me, "I'm trying to tell you about this and you're laughing at me so; why don't you just go away, because I sure as hell don't need this shit, dammit."

"No. I'm not going away," she snapped back at me, pulling on my shoulder and demanding that I face her when I tried turning away from her, "You're going to tell me exactly what you were talking about; because I'm not leaving until you do. Do you understand me, Kyle Hendrickson?"

"Alright then, if you want it, then here it is," I furiously growled, "I'm falling in love with you; knowing that I'll probably get my fucking heart broken so; are you happy now?"

"Yes, I am," she suddenly replied, joyful tears pouring down her cheeks like rain drops in a thunderstorm, "More than you could possibly know."

"What do you mean?" I asked, caught totally off guard by her response, "Please don't play with me, Julie...please."

"I want to tell you something, Kyle," she sweetly sniffled smiling, "But before I do, you have to promise me that you won't get angry with me because of what I'm about to say you, okay?"

By then my there was no question as to how I felt about Julie so, with that thought in mind, I very slowly, and with great effort, took her hand, as that was all I was able to physically accomplish at the time, and then after gently squeezing it; I smiled and told her, "I could never be angry about anything you tell me, so; what makes you think that I'm going to be angry now?"

"This is different, Kyle," 'she sincerely, yet still sweetly replied, "What I'm about to tell you is going to totally change things between us; I assure you."

"Did you not hear what I just said?" I chuckled, "I told you that I was falling in love with you, and I can't think of anything that could possibly change things between us any more than that."

"I wouldn't be so sure of myself if I were you, sweetie," she tenderly replied, "What I'm about to tell you is going to make not only a definite difference between you and I, but it will also permanently change the way you look at me for the rest of our lives."

"You think so, huh?" I grinned, "Why don't you let me be the judge of that, okay?"

"Alright then," she smiled, "But like I said earlier, don't say I didn't warn you."

"Okay, I've been warned," I light-heartedly chuckled, "Now, will you tell me, and let's get this over with so that we can move forward...please?"

"Alright, Kyle," she softly began, "You, of all people, deserve to know the truth, so; let me begin by telling you that you were right when you said that I seemed familiar to you."

"Oh really," I asked, "And how is that?"

"We knew each other in high school," Julie said, her eyes filling with tears once more, as she shamefully looked at the floor, "But back then you knew me as M.J. Smith."

"How can that be?" I said, astonished by what she'd just told me, "There's no way that you could be M.J."

"Why not?" she asked, getting slightly angry, "Is it because that I'm no longer the scared, fat, and ugly little girl that I once was?"

"No, please," I shamefully replied, "I didn't mean it like that, I swear."

"Yes you did," she began to cry, "I can tell by the look on your face, Kyle."

"Wait a minute," I told her, "If what you're telling me is true, then why are you getting upset with me? I was nothing but nice to you, if my memory serves me correctly; and I made sure that no one picked on you when I was around you."

"Oh, yeah, that's right," she sarcastically replied, tears still pouring down her face, "And while we're on the subject, why did you take up for me, was it because you felt sorry for me, and did it out of pity?"

"That's not fair," I angrily told her, "And you damn well know it."

"Alright then, why did you always defend me, and please be truthful?" she asked, her tone softening, as she wiped her eyes with the back of her hand.

"Because I thought that not only were you one of the smartest people that I ever knew," I told her, "But I also thought that people were so mean to you, and I couldn't stand it. Oh, and another thing, did I, or did I not lose my girlfriend because I took up for you?"

"That's different," she began to giggle, which I found absolutely adorable; "Cindy Meyers was a crazy bitch to begin with. Do you remember when she broke her hand trying to hit you when you ducked and she hit the locker beside yours?"

"Yeah, I remember," I grinned, "She tried to blame it on me, too, but you didn't let her get away with it."

"That's right...I took up for you," she sweetly told me, "And do you remember what you told me after it was all over with?"

"How could I forget," I said, smiling at the memory, "I thanked you and told you that I owed you big time for telling Mister Ellis the truth about what happened."

"That's right," she continued smiling, only this time, she softly placed her palm against the side of my face, "And you still owe me, Mister Kyle Hendrickson."

"I know," I replied, looking into her eyes now, "But what made you do that, take up for me, when you didn't have to, I mean?"

"Because I loved you," she softly replied, shamefully looking down again, "And I've never stopped, Kyle...not ever."

"Wow, really," I asked, amazed, "I don't deserve someone like you, Julie; or should I call you M.J.?"

"You're the only person who I'd let call me that," she smiled, her head held high as she lovingly looked into my eyes, "But I love you enough to let you go, and I promise not to ever bother you once you're out of this hospital...if that's what you want."

"Are you kidding me?" I softly teased, slowly grabbing her hand again, "I still owe you big time, remember?"

"Yes, you do," she giggled, now firmly holding my hand with both of hers, "And just so you know, Kyle, all of this...the way I look; I did it for you in the hopes that I might see you again one day. And I'm sorry if you feel like I deceived you. I never meant to, I swear."

"I don't ever want you to feel that way, because I think you look more beautiful than anything I've ever seen," I smiled, "But out of curiosity, how did you do it?"

"I had a lot of help from my room mate when I was in college," she smiled, looking off into an imaginary distance, "Her name was Pamela Houseman and once she taught me how to eat properly; I began to lose weight almost overnight. It took me eight and a half months, but when I got down to the size I am now; the first thing she did was to take me to a hair dresser who cut and styled my hair and also taught me how to take proper care of it."

"I think it looks wonderful," I smiled, gazing into her beautiful eyes, as she excitedly told me about her transformation.

"Thank you, Kyle, that's very sweet of you," she softly told me, "But I think you might be biased these days."

"You're damn right I am," I chuckled, gently squeezing her hand, which by the way, still hadn't let go of mine.

"After that," she continued, "Pam took me to an optometrist where I got contact lenses. And then we went shopping for clothes. I bought clothes that were more in style and fit me well, especially since I'd lost all of the weight. And once the transformation was complete, we went out that night, and I couldn't believe all of the boys that asked me for my phone number. But you know what?"

"No," I somewhat jealously replied, "What?"

"I didn't go out with a single one of them," she guardedly said, "I wanted to find you."

"Why didn't you?" I asked, "I would've gone out with you."

"If I tell you, do you promise not to get mad?" she fearfully asked me, "And you have to promise me before I tell you; Kyle."

"Come on, M.J." I told her, "I already promised you that I wouldn't get mad before we ever started this conversation so; go ahead and tell me...please?"

"Okay then," she smiled, kissing my hand, "I got a hold of your sister, Laura; and she told me where you were."

"I can understand why you would do that," I told her, trying my best to make her feel comfortable enough to tell me the rest of the story, "So; why didn't you come and find me when she told you where I was?"

"I was afraid, Kyle," she began to cry again, "I was afraid that you'd think I was some pathetic little lovesick, stupid girl; and I couldn't take that, I just couldn't..."

"Shh," I soothed her, beckoning her to lay her head on my shoulder, which she did, "You don't see me laughing now, do you?"

"No," she said, her reply muffled by her face being tucked into my chest, "Bit I'm still afraid."

"Don't be," I softly said, "I don't ever want you to be afraid to tell me anything, ever again, okay, my love."

"What was that?" she excitedly asked me, raising her head to look into my eyes smiling, "What did you just call me?"

"I don't know," I said, slightly confused, "What did I call you?"

"You called me "Your Love"," she knowingly grinned, "Did you mean it?"

"You know I did," I sighed, finally admitting my feelings to her; "Why else would I have called you that?"

"That's not good enough, Kyle," she giggled, sitting up and looking me in the eyes, "I want to hear you say it."

"Oh, alright," I chuckled, relenting, "I love you, M.J. Smith; is that good enough?"

"Oh, Kyle," she happily cried, pulling me into her arms, "You don't know how long I've waited to hear those words come out of your mouth, baby."

"It's okay, sweetheart," I softly whispered, "Your wait is over...I promise; and from now on, I'm going to make sure that your hear me tell you that at least once a day for the rest of our lives."

"I'm so happy to hear that, baby," she tenderly sniffled, "I fell like a giant weight has been lifted off of my shoulders."

"It's my turn to carry the load now," I playfully grinned, "But you're going to have to wait until I get out of this damn hospital first, okay?"

"That's fine, Kyle," she giggled, gently throwing her arms completely around my body and softly but tenderly kissing my lips, anyone who might see be damned, "Whatever you want, my darling...whatever you want."

"That sounds good to me," I smiled, "I'm more than ready to leave this place."

~~~~~~

Chapter Six

Julie, or should I say, "M.J.", sat with me the rest of the night, leaving only to attend to her duties, i.e. keeping up with her charts, administering certain medications to her other patients of which there were only two. For the most part though, she stayed solely with me, and every time I opened my eyes; my beautiful angel was right there waiting to either hold my hand, and/or kiss my lips, all of which was accompanied by a tender and gentle, "I love you".

~~~~~~

The next morning brought Dr. Lerner in to see me, with my chart in his hands and a smile on his face.

"Good morning, Kyle," he grinned, "How're you feeling this morning?"

"I'm able to move my hands a little better now," I told him, "But that's about it. How soon before I can try to get up and walk?"

"It's funny you should ask that question?" he knowingly smiled, "I was thinking about putting you in the water tank today. Do you feel like you might want to give it a try?"

"Sure," I smiled, "You just say the word and I'm ready."

"Alright then," he told me, as he wrote something in my patient chart, why don't we get started on it this morning then?"

"Whenever you're ready," I excitedly grinned, "I've been waiting on this ever since I first opened my eyes."

"Perfect," Dr. Lerner grinned, "I'll call down there and see if someone is available to get into the tank with you, and then we can..."

"Excuse me, Doctor," Julie politely interrupted, "I'm qualified to get into the tank with him."

"Isn't your shift up in a few minutes?" he knowingly smiled, "You've been here all night. Surely you're tired after working, aren't you?"

"I'm willing to do it on my own time," she told him, holding my hand, which he most certainly took notice of, "If it's alright with you, that is."

"That's fine with me, but there's a liability issue," he said, "If you're not on the clock, the hospital won't let you anywhere near the tank."

"That's not a problem," she quickly replied, "I'm allowed twenty hours of overtime per month, and I'm nowhere near that yet."

"Okay then," Dr. Lerner chuckled, "I guess that it's alright with me, but you'd better ask your boyfriend here if it's alright with him."

"Boyfriend?" she blushed, feigning innocence, "Why Doctor Lerner, I've have no idea what you mean."

"Yeah, right," he teased, "You just make sure that your supervisor doesn't find out that the two of you are involved with one another; or otherwise she'll have both of our asses. Do you hear me?"

"Thanks, Doc," I grinned, gently squeezing M.J.'s hand, "You're the best."

"Wait a minute, Kyle," he said, observing how I'd been holding M.J.'s hand, "I'm not trying to get in yours and Julie's business, but how long have you been able to move your hands like that?"

"About two days now," I said, trying to remember, "As far as I can recall."

"Have you tried moving your legs?" he asked, "Or do you at least have any feeling in them?"

"I can feel them," I told him, "But I can't move them very much yet."

"So, you're telling me that you've tried to move them, then," Dr. Lerner inquired.

"Of course I have," I said, "I was able to get into my wheelchair," and then I remembered Julie taking me out of the hospital, and in doing so; I added, "But Julie had to help me, and then that was only to go down the hall to get a soda from the machine."

"You should've asked one of these nurses to bring you a soda," Dr. Lerner seemingly scolded me; "You could've hurt yourself."

"We didn't have any Mountain Dew®," Julie quickly replied, "And I was simply trying to comfort my patient. Besides, I was right here and I watched him very closely and made sure that he didn't over-exert himself, Doctor."

"Well...I guess that's alright then," he replied, seeming to have bought her story, "Just make sure that it doesn't happen again, do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, Doctor," she respectfully replied, "Crystal clear."

"Come on, Doc," I smiled, "I have no complaints whatsoever, and didn't you just ask me if I wanted to get into the pool to begin my therapy?"

"Alright, you win," he knowingly chuckled, "Just be more careful in the future, okay?"

"No sweat," I said, "Oh, and by the way, what about Doctor Niles, what's going on with him?"

"We're going to file formal charges against him not only to the police, but also with the hospital's Board of Regents," Dr. Lerner informed me, "It means that you might be asked to testify. Do you think you can handle it?"

"You're damn right I can," I adamantly replied, "I could've died because of that son of a bitch's stupidity."

"Good," he satisfactorily smiled, "But be forewarned now, don't tell a soul, because if you do, you also put yourself in jeopardy."

1...45678...10