A Soldier For All Seasons Ch. 02

Story Info
Pains, pitched battles and Princesses - his epic continues.
8k words
4.83
22.1k
60

Part 2 of the 27 part series

Updated 06/12/2023
Created 07/02/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Nate, it's time to wake up.

Nate woke with a start, a voice in his head, a cool touch on his forehead. He blinked, taking a moment to realize where he was, what he'd done. This was a stupid idea, but he'd already committed.

*Time to see this through.* Isabelle added.

"We're here?"

*We're here.*

The screen initialized.

"Fuck." Nate took a shaky breath. Through the screen, chaos reigned. Tallaris. The Jungle of the Night. The planet that, thanks to its large moons, was cast in darkness almost all of the time, it had gained a reputation as a place of romance, thanks to its luminescent waters, the rivers and streams that ran through its jungle giving off a bright pearly sheen. The Lunari had built white rock towns that ran through the jungle, accompanying the white waters, making the place look even more wondrous.

Only now it burned. Fierce fires ran from tree to tree, burning through the foliage, the trunks and the trees, toppling them. From above, Nate could see the jungle's inhabitants fleeing, a swarm of monkeys swinging from vine to vine, a buzz of black dots vibrating, which must be insects. And the river water bubbled and rippled - even the fish were fleeing.

All from the center of the fires, Tallaris' main attraction, the Little Palace. The Lunari had long enjoyed a media and tourist attraction that they pretended to dislike but actively encouraged, focused on the glamor and fantasy of their royal family. When life was reduced to fending off the bugs, to the Federation's mistakes, the news consisting of smugglers and thieves, scandal and sleaze, the Lunari royals represented a fantasy of a simpler life. Or rather, Nate thought, a richer life, where one could swan around in fancy gowns at fancy courts.

The Little Palace was but one of them, but it was the most famed. Where the Lunari royalty went to marry, that widely televised event where even the most cynical would be heard to comment on the bride's dress, or how the prince's third cousin's wife had made a fool of herself.

The palace was a white rock temple, beautiful in its simplicity. It resembled a four poster bed, with a tall spire at each corner. The story went that, the night before the wedding, each spire would hold the bride, the groom, the best man and the maid of honor.

Now, three of the four spires burned, filling the sky in a tower of smog, like an energy plant from eons ago. The sky was filled with ships and Nate realized with dread that they were all bug ships. The Lunari air presence was non-existent - how had their defenses been so easily overrun?

"We're too late." Nate murmured even as they descended.

*If we can find the Princess and get her out, then their attack will have been for nothing. Remember, Nate, their plan only works as long as they hold her ransom. Without her, the Lunari will just send their whole army, from the borders, from their homeworld, and will wipe them off the planet.*

"Okay," He rubbed his forehead. "Find her, spirit her away, get her in front of a camera, so the Lunari can laser the bug ships without fear."

*Where do you want to land?*

"As close as we can to the Little Palace."

They dropped further, their cloaking tech hiding them from view. Bugs roamed the streets in formation, torching all they could see. The gold and white bunting that hung over the cobbled streets was soon lit in flames. Nate saw a 'congratulations' banner slowly shrivel from the flame. He had to hope the Princess wasn't a bridezilla - her dream day was going to look very different.

Isabelle sat them down in a private courtyard, just down the road from the Little Palace, probably a home for an ambassador or a diplomat. She deftly dropped them down beside the swimming pool, because of course a true politician wouldn't want to swim with the rest in the white water river.

*First step is to get comms - there's no point sticking around if they already have her.*

"If they already had her, they wouldn't still be here." Nate said absently, checking the oddly-shaped blanketed cart in the corner of the courtyard. A cart of fireworks - on it, a note instructed everyone not to touch the automated firework display, for it was scheduled to go off after the royal pair shared their first kiss.

*Wouldn't they?* Isabelle questioned. *They can take her back across the bug border, sure, but imagine how it would look if they just stayed here, and the Lunari couldn't touch them because they couldn't risk their Princess.*

Nate grunted. "The Lunari morale would drop faster than a Lops hooker's panties."

*Where do you find your natural charm?*

He shrugged, checking his rifle. Tough crowd. His boys would have laughed. He stepped out of the courtyard, trying to keep down. Up above, a dropship hovered, its dropbay open - Nate could see ten bugs inside, chittering away as they swung their legs in the open air, like children paddling in the pool.

They were too casual -- they thought they'd already won. Nate smirked, a spark of an idea in his mind.

*Nate, is this really the best course of action? Shouldn't we be stealthy?*

He doubled back to the cart of fireworks and wheeled it out of the courtyard, not bothering to hide himself.

"This should do nicely." He rolled it into the middle of the street and grabbed his lighter from his backpocket.

*Nate, seriously.*

He tilted the cart at the right angle and lit the fuse.

"Hey, bugs!"

*Is there any way of getting me back in the gem?* Isabelle sounded unamused.

The bugs in the dropship snarled as they spotted him, but then it was too late. The fireworks spat and sizzled as they launched with a boom, shooting into it the underside of the ship, into the open dock bay. Not one, not two, but fifty rockets. What bugs weren't exploded or burnt alive dropped out of the ship in panic, smacking into the street with a nasty crunch. Nate picked them off with his blaster, unaffected, like shooting fish in a barrel.

The ship above, filled with smoke and fire, careered wildly. It dipped, rose, and then clipped a streetlight. Nate grinned -- it was gonna crash.

*Nate! Trajectory shows that—*

"Oh, shit." Nate took off in a sprint as the dropship smacked down just where'd been standing, sliding down the street, its fierce blue jets burning the white-rock ground and leaving black scorch marks.

For a few seconds, silence, the air still in a surreal way.

*Was that clever?*

"You said we needed comms. I'll go eat one of their bug antennas, I know you like that." Despite his words, he stood still, examining the fallen dropship, hidden behind a statue of an old Lunari King.

*What are you waiting for?*

"The dropship didn't explode." Nate said, a little disappointed.

*This isn't like the holomovies, Nate. You must have seen a few dropships in your time, you know this.*

"But I put like fifty rockets into the bottom of it. The engine, the fuel-"

*Would have been secured by a lot of paneling.*

"The crash, then-"

*They are military dropships - they're designed to survive a lot of rough and tumble.*

"Still-" Nate went silent as he saw a few bugs emerge from the fallen ship, searching for him. Three. He could deal with three.

*Not out in the open. Change the environment.*

She had a point, Nate thought. On the side of the streets, a line of shops. Tourist souvenirs, a cafe, a fishing tackle and angling shop. Nate chose the tackle shop, running for the door.

*Ocular enhancement indicates that the door is locked.*

He swore, a laser blast singing his neck as it just missed. He changed tack, throwing himself through the window.

"Gah," He cried out, feeling the sharpness of a dozen glass shards, but he didn't have time to feel sorry for himself. He took stock of the shop quickly - rods, bait, hooks, coats. He chose coats, hiding in a rack of fluorescent green and orange jackets, just as the bugs entered the shop. Their pincer-like mouths jabbered back and forth, an odd noise emanating.

*Would you like me to translate for you? I have a good understanding of their language.*

*Ok,* Nate thought.

"Come out, pink-body. We will hook you with these fish-hooks so we can roast you for dinner tonight." The larger one taunted. "You, check upstairs."

Nate was left with two. He didn't waste time. He blasted the leader in the face and turned to the other.

Pew. His sidearm didn't fire, spewing out a little smoke and making a noise like a children's toy.

For a second, he and his opponent stared at each other, stunned.

*Nate!*

Nate didn't think, just charged forward as the other bug brought his gun up. He got just enough force on the bug's arm to redirect the blast, seeing his death fly inches from his face. He couldn't let the bug get away from him, wrapping the insect-man in a bear hug.

"Get off me!" Isabelle not so helpfully translated.

He wrestled him around the shop, sweat pouring from his forehead, knowing he only had seconds until the other bug came downstairs, shot him in the back. As they smashed against the class counter, Nate's hands shot out, searching blindly behind the bug as he tried to struggle free, for anything of use. A pen, a piece of paper, a fishing hook...perfect.

"Die!" Nate growled, backing off the bug long enough to jam a fishing hook in the bug's overly large, bulbous eyes.

"Aaah!" The man screamed, blue blood spurting from his eye, his hands going out to hold it involuntarily.

"You're the one-eyed man, now you just need to find the kingdom of the blind." Nate quipped before downing him with a right hook.

*Footsteps on the stairs, Nate - I think he's coming to arrest you for your awful quips.*

Nate grinned at her jab. His rifle would take too long to heat up and his sidearm was untrustworthy.

*Logical problem solved. Grab the one-eyed man's sidearm.*

Nate did just that, firing a blast that evaporated the bug's head just as he appeared.

*Woo, go team.* Isabelle clapped. *You know you just attracted a ton of attention, right? We need to move.*

"Worth it." Nate bent down and cut off the dead bug's antenna. "Do I really have to eat this?"

*No, we can just let the princess get kidnapped and let the galaxy collapse.*

"You could have just said yes." He griped, before crushing the antenna in his hand and swallowing the mush. He gagged. "I'm going to throw up, that's the worst thing I've ever tasted."

*That's what she said?*

Nate laughed while choking, snot coming from his nostril, eyes tearing up.

*Lovely.*

"Fuck's sake, woman. Did you get anything?"

*These were nobodies. All they've been instructed to do is cause chaos and buy time, they didn't even know they were here for the Princess.*

Nate wiped his eyes. "Well, I'm glad that was all worth it. Fuck it, let's get into the Palace, we'll figure things out."

*They'll probably have barricaded the entrances. Any ideas?*

Nate sighed, looking around at the shop, now somewhat worse for wear. One of the walls had a hole in it. Above the counter and the felled one-eyed bug, hung a fishing rod below a large banner. The all-new game-changing CastingKing Hunter AutoReeler - for the biggest of fish.

"Now that's interesting." Nate mused, grabbing it down, ensuring it came with a long reel of line.

*Nate, I don't want to sound like a broken record—*

"What's that?"

*Historical expression, never mind. I'm still trying to understand your language and its quirks.*

"No, I quite like it. You got any more?"

*In for a penny, in for a pound. That means you're fully committed now. Spill the beans, that means tell me what you know. Turn a blind eye, that means you deliberately don't pay attention to something because you don't want to see it.*

"Fuck, I could have used that one on the bug I just blinded."

*Would that have been funny?* Isabelle said doubtfully.

"It's all about timing." Nate insisted, checking the rod had a reversal lever.

*Are you sure this is wise? I've consumed thousands of Federation military reports and—*

"I don't know much." Nate rubbed some blood off his nose. "Never got to college and school wasn't good to me, so I wasn't good to it. I wish I was a learned man, but all I've ever learned is how to kill bugs. I've done kill missions, rescue missions, escort missions, guard duty. I've written my fair share of mission briefs and read a lot more. The only thing I'm really sure about is they don't capture what it's like in the field. When you're out, you gotta improvise."

Isabelle was silent for a moment. *Alright, Nate. I didn't mean to suggest—*

"I know." Nate cut her off. He stepped out of the shop, ensuring the street was clear, before jogging towards the palace. Thankfully, the ornate metal gate entrance had been blown off its hinges, leaving the way forward clear. Up through the gravel driveway. On either side, the Lunari had let the jungle of exotic fauna take over, instead of having the standard, immaculate grass gardens. The bugs hadn't torched it yet, perhaps wary of setting a large fire so close to where they were located.

Nate took the jungle path, stepping over overgrown roots and underneath underhanging vines until he was finally next to the Little Palace, staring up at its white walls. Above, on the third floor, a small balcony, not large enough for a table, but enough for a smoker to stand and watch the view. Suddenly, Nate was dying for a cigar. He shook his head, throwing back the fishing rod.

The first throw, under shot, hitting the wall.

The second, over shot, smacking heavily against the window, making him cringe.

The third hooked into the balcony's railings, tangling perfectly. He gave it a tug, ensuring it was taut.

Fuck, he hoped it was taut enough.

"Here goes nothing." He hit the lever that reversed the reel and was instantly pulled up to the balcony, his side grazing against the wall painfully, his hip bleeding. The line made a loud metallic twang. "I can't believe that worked." Nate muttered as he climbed over the railing.

*I know, right? The local travel guide suggests that the river can contain red butterfish, small sharks really, which can be up to ninety kilos in weight. That fishing rod must be designed for such large fishes.*

"Good to know." Nate wiped his forehead.

*It's never too late to learn things!*

He pulled open the large glass doors carefully, hearing the tell-tale chittering of bugs conversing. Nate found himself on the second floor of a large ballroom, elegantly decorated with paintings of Lunari historical war figures. Three large glass chandelier lit the whole room, the glimmer of diamonds casting patterns on the wall. Below, a large contingent of bugs stood in wait, their buzz of noises loud.

*Your reports indicate that on three separate occasions, you've shot down chandeliers in an attempt to kill hostiles, with no success. You've received one official reprimand for deliberate and unnecessary property damage.*

"It should have worked all three times." Nate muttered, scowling. "But they've never been as large as this one. Look, it's massive. And they have three of them."

*Is killing them going to help us find the Princess?*

"Well, I need to eat the antenna of one of the soldiers in the know. And if they're in the palace, they must know something."

*Then, by all means. Just remember, I'm stuck in your brain, handsome. If you get your brains blasted out, then neither of us are coming back.*

"Got it."

Nate took careful aim at the links that held the chandelier up. "Chandelier, motherfuckers." He grinned and shot. The blast melted the chandelier's base. It dropped. Nate peered eagerly over the railing.

Six of the bugs were crushed underneath, the light fixture smashing into a thousand sharp diamond pieces. The room was cast into darkness, with only the moonlight from outside pouring through the large glass windows.

"Yes!" Nate pumped his fist.

*Still ten left. They know where the shot came from. Move!*

Nate scrambled up just as a plasma blast splintered the wooden railing he'd been resting off. The blast continued straight through, burning a hole in the bookcase behind him.

"Plasma rifles!" Nate muttered in shock. "These guys mean business." Nate changed his mind about a shootout, keeping his head down as he sneaked back out into the balcony, into the cool night air.

Forty feet over, another balcony. A big jump, but it was no match for him, the CastingKing.

*I can't believe you.*

"I didn't say anything." Nate protested, hurriedly throwing the line as he heard footsteps pounding up the stairs.

*You thought it.*

He hooked into the railings and resisted the urge to cheer as the line reeled him in as he hung tightly onto the rod. Nate couldn't resist. He cracked open the window, opening onto the balcony on the other side of the room.

"Chandelier, motherfuckers!" He repeated, taking his shot. The chandelier crashed down, squishing...absolutely nobody. Nate peered over, disappointedly. The bugs had long since split, almost all on the other side of the balcony. There was only one on the ground floor, taking cover behind a pillar.

"Fuck." Nate swore as he returned fire with his laser rifle at his balcony opponents, the answering barrage destroying some of the pillars that held the balcony up, making Nate's side dip alarmingly.

*It's almost as if the chandelier tactic is not a sound one.* Isabelle said dryly. *Tactical analysis suggests the CastingKing retreat.*

Nate ran his hand through his hair, thinking. He could drop back down to the ground with the rod, but they'd chase him for hours through the jungle. He could use the rod to climb higher, but would that help him?

"In for a penny, in for a pound." He murmured. He took three steps back and sprinted forward, launching his foot off the wooden railing and jumping onto the third chandelier. It swung forward, with his weight, giving him just enough time to throw a grenade at the bugs. Nate grabbed his sidearm, ready to shoot the chandelier down for a quick exit, but they beat him to it, a laser blast sailing over his head and melting through the light's base.

"Oh, fuck!" Nate yelled as he fell. He jumped and rolled as the chandelier smashed down.

"Gah," He cried out as several glass splinters buried themselves in his leg. He held onto his sidearm with both hands, trying to do his best to stabilise his aching, weak arms. The lone bug on the ground floor poked his head from the pillar.

Nate lined up the shot.

Boom! His grenade exploded from above, making the whole building rock, sending Nate to the ground and showering him in wooden splinters and debris.

*Nate, get up. GET UP!*

He groaned, spitting out bloody saliva, and palmed his handgun, feeling its comforting weight. His vision was blurry.

*Nate, kill the bug. He's right in front of you. Verbal permission needed - let me take control of your body.*

"Ok." He mumbled. He could barely see, just a sea of swimming colors. But still, he rose, movement mechanical, arm rising, finger pulling. A loud sizzle. The bug fell back, dead.

Without him doing anything, his legs marched forward, purposeful. He knelt, pulled the antenna from the bug's head and squished into his mouth, his teeth munching automatically as Nate regained consciousness. Where was he?

*Nate, are you good?*

"I'm good." He mumbled. "Thanks for the save. Nothing like bugmeat to wake you up."

*You didn't cook the grenade so it's unlikely to have killed them all, if any. Plus, the sheer destruction will have sent all the others bugs running here. It's time to make a swift exit.*

The loud sound of bugs approaching confirmed her words, but Nate couldn't find an exit. Out the window, and he'd be shot in the back as he ran away. Through the double-doors, and he'd be lost in a palace he didn't know how to navigate.