A Soldier For All Seasons Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

*Out the window, perhaps?*

Nate ignored her, noting how the crash of three huge chandeliers had shook up the floorboards, leaving some bent or out of place. Old, wooden floorboards, put in long ago. As the bugs appeared, Nate took aim at his feet with his sidearm and fired.

The floorboards disintegrated and with them, his footing -- he crashed through to the floor below in a thick cloud of dust and debris, blocking them from firing after him, if only momentarily. He landed with a thump on a...sofa? A chaise lounge in the ground lobby, meant as a waiting room for not so important guests. The lobby was empty, all the bugs having been drawn upstairs.

Nate pulled the trigger on his rifle, aiming upwards, tracking the shimmers of movement he could see in between the floorboards, the little bounces of light, the shifting shadows. The laser rifle heated up, the tell-tale whine of the coils. And then he unleashed, shooting up through the floorboards at the defenseless bugs.

The smell of dead sizzled flesh filled the air, choking in his very throat. He was okay. He was used to it.

Nate didn't stop until his gun had overheated and then he was gone, taking to his feet as the few remaining bugs returned fire, through the now numerous holes in the floor.

"Isabelle, did you find anything on the comms?"

*That antenna was more useful - the Princess is being moved as we speak, from the Little Palace to a holostudio in the town. They want to broadcast the fact they've got her immediately, to prevent Lunari retribution. She should be outside the Palace now, at the rear exit.*

"Fastest route?"

*Already calculated. East door, east window, through the courtyard, up the stairs, through the window.*

Nate was already running, ignoring the laserfire behind him. He smashed open the door and found a shocked bug, his antennas twiddling, too busy communicating. Nate grabbed his shoulder and charged through him, through the window. He fell through the shards of glass, ignoring the pain. The bug stopped his fall.

"Thanks." Nate muttered, pulling a grenade from the bugs belt.

*Field reports indicate that these high-ranking bugs sometimes carry inversion grenades — that may not be an explosive in your hand.*

Nate just grunted, feet pounding from carpet to gravel to paved tile and back again, running too fast to take in the courtyard. And then he was up the stairs and out the window, finding himself on an ornate balcony, a fancy breakfast laid out on the wooden table, untouched.

He swore, catching sight of the bug extraction team. Six of them, with red sashes, marching a Lunari on her knees. She wore a muddied, bloodied wedding dress, the large royal train of the dress trailing behind her as she was dragged along. They made their way along the gravel, heads on a swivel, looking trigger happy.

*A direct engagement may not be suitable here, Nate.*

*Well, I'm not seeing a lot of options.*

*The low volume of observed corpses may indicate that the palace were unable to trigger their alarm systems.*

"So?"

*If their power is out, perhaps cut by an insider or by an infiltration team...* Nate followed her train of thought, and just in case he was stupid, she lit up the power lines, that led to the palace across the gardens, high and tall, following the path between the jungle-gardens, and sometimes criss-crossing with them to meet large pylon poles.

Nate jumped up to the balcony railing, eying the coupling of power lines above him, thick tensile cables. They didn't look active.

*Trust me.*

Nate leaped, hands wrapping around the cable. Nothing, not even a tingle. He pulled himself up - they were just thick enough for him to walk on.

*Adjusting your peripheral vision and depth of field to trick your brain into thinking you're close to the ground. Your balance should be improved, fear factor removed.*

True enough, Nate scampered across the powerlines, holding his arms out for balance. Luckily, the Princess was putting up a struggle, slowing them down. She screamed as she bit into the bug's hand and received a backhander across the face for her efforts.

"Fucking whore, we should teach her a lesson when we get those cameras on." Isabelle translated the bug's speech as he neared.

The other clicked thrice rapidly, which Isabelle thought was laughter. "Let's see what we're working with, friend." The bug dug its four-fingered pincer-like hand through the Princess's dress, ripping it clean off. She squealed, left in only a set of bridal lingerie, garters and stockings, panties and bra.

The bugs clicked excitedly.

Nate held his breath, perching on a post above them. Please don't notice my shadow, he thought. The power lines had lowered, unable to penetrate the thick jungle canopy in front, the constructors instead choosing to follow the road as the palace gate met the streets. Five of the bugs continued on, the sixth stopping at the gate, antenna twitching as he spoke.

"Why aren't they talking to me? They must have killed the intruder by now. Brothers, wait for me at the studio - I have to be in range to set off the palace detonation and I can't detonate until I receive word they've evacuated."

They chittered back. "She'll be all used up by the time you reach us, brother." They didn't look back.

Nate didn't waste a second, hooking his feet in between the two power cables and swinging down. He found himself upside down above the bug. The bug never saw it coming. Nate wrapped his strong arms around its thin, fragile neck, and tightened, hard.

Ten seconds came into twenty.

"No—" Isabelle translated as it passed out, suffocated.

*Six become five, but how can we kill them and keep the Princess alive?*

"Watch me."

Nate unhooked from the power cable, dropping down on the street with a grunt. He picked the gun from the bug's hand, examining it with interest. It had two grips, one far in front of the other, while the barrel exploded outwards, blooming like a flower into four red metal petals.

*Blast-spitter, a bug equivalent to a shotgun. The heat coil has enough juice for four blasts, but those four blasts will blast through a ship's hull if you're close enough. Thirty second cooldown.*

*Thirty seconds! That's long enough to die five times.*

*Best not miss, then. Or stick to your sidearm? Your rifle whine will announce your presence.*

Nate deliberated, deciding to try the new Blast-spitter.

It didn't take long to catch up with the Princess and the bugs. They were using a standard VIP target formation. The VIP in the centre, two guards to the left, two to the right, one in the center to manhandle the VIP forward. Nate synced his footsteps with theirs and scuttled forward. Four bugs, four blasts.

*Nate, I've increased the blood flow to your brain, centering around the synapses responsible for logical analysis, decreasing all non-essential functions.*

Nate looked at the bugs dispassionately, feeling like a robot. The shotgun blast should take out the first two bugs with a single shot. The guard in the center would have a hard time reaching his sidearm, given that he has one hand on the Princess' neck leash. He'd have to turn her and grab his sidearm, then fire from the hip.

The other two will turn as soon as they hear a shot. The one in front won't be able to fire through the guard in the back, but the rear guard will kill him with their first shot. Problem.

He needed to line them up.

Shoot through the left two with a single blast, dive right to line up the right two, fire again. Then, he'd be left with the Princess' guard, so he'd have to switch to his sidearm. That would be risky, but there was nothing for it.

Left side first.

"Howdy, fellas." The first boom recoiled so hard he dropped the gun, the sharp crack whipping through the air, the blast splitting through both bugs, pure blue mulch splattering the ground.

"Holy shit." Nate's hand went for his sidearm, the bugs whirling around, but his senses were shot, ears ringing, nerves rising. He pulled it from its magnet-holster and dove to the ground.

The bug's answering blast sailed over, the hair on his head rising, feeling the scorching heat. Nate, lying on the ground, aimed for the head.

And missed.

His bullet rocketed into the bug's shotgun, sending it forcefully down just as the bug pulled the trigger once more. Its leg exploded into pulpy flesh, sending it toppling back and into the other bug, fainting straight away. Nate closed one eye, took a deep breath and aimed for the head of the second.

This time, his aim was true, its head exploding.

Finally, Nate was left with only the Princess' guard.

He was too slow.

The bug had his gun to the Princess's head, her buttery blonde hair whipping from side to side as she screamed, her long Lunari ears perked up. The bug shook its head, smiling, black-pupiled eyes expanding.

"You shoot, she dies. Either you hit or I pull the trigger, either way she explodes." It said. "You won't understand my words, but you know this, walking-meal."

Nate paused, ice chilling his veins. The bug was right. It was a no-win situation.

Fuck.

*Have you got anything, Isabelle?*

*I may have an idea. The Federation streaming content on your armguard is popular even amongst Lunari, as they put a much larger budget into popular content than the more conservative Lunari, correctly understanding that it is useful for recruitment.*

*How the fuck is this relevant?*

*Well, the most popular holofilm last year was Smuggler's Revenge, the fourth in the popular series. The hero gets his dog killed and goes after the perpetrators, a sex-trafficking ring in the outer worlds. He saves the drug-addled damsel, clad only in her underwear, at the end of the film, when she's being held hostage in a standoff much like this.*

*Are you serious? How does he do it?* Nate thought. He could taste the sweat on his lips.

*He winks at the woman, and then the woman elbows the bug forcefully, buying just enough time and space for the hero to shoot the bug in the head.*

*What?*

*The filmmakers theorised that the bugs don't have the wink in their culture, given that they don't have eyelids, and thus they wouldn't understand what it means.*

He was dead. She was dead. It was worth a shot.

Nate winked. The Princess' eyes widened. She took a deep breath. Then, she smashed her elbow into the bug's ribs, drawing as far back from it as possible as the wind was knocked out of it.

Nate had a moment, just a second. He fired. His blast took the bug's head clean off, a fountain of blue spurting up, like a firework of bugblood.

The Princess's knees buckled, crashing to the ground as she cried in relief, looking up at him through her tears. She was gorgeous, he thought, the most beautiful creature he'd ever seen. Her long blonde hair, those pale pointed ears poking out her hair, that aristocratic features with the high cheekbones above rosy lips.

"You bet my life on the fact I've seen Smuggler's Revenge?" She laughed hysterically, half crying.

"Never heard of it." He joked. "Come on, Princess, let's go."

"Who are you?" She asked as he drew her up by her arm, brows furrowed.

"I'm Captain Clancy, of the Federation. Third Battalion."

"Thank Vashayna," The Lunari breathed out, hand on her chest. Nate did his best not to look down at her tits spilling out of her white bra, laced with floral patterns. "The Federation came to save us."

Nate flinched a little. "Unfortunately not. It's just me."

"What?" She said, eyes widening in alarm.

"The bugs came to Tallaris. We fought them off and I learned about their plan to kidnap you here. My commanding officer didn't believe me, so here I am." Nate explained simply, checking his weapon. The fight wasn't over.

Her eyes shined over, chin wobbling. She barreled into him, tears streaming down her face. "Please, Captain, help me. I don't want to be raped."

"That's why I'm here." She didn't appear to hear him, hugging him tightly. She was short, only able to hug his chest. He liked his women a little taller but she felt good against him, warm, breasts pressed against him, cock against her.

"I'll do anything!" She sobbed.

"Anything?" He repeated dumbly. In his mind, Isabelle snorted. His cock jumped a little, waking up.

She felt it, retreating, frowning. She wiped her eyes hurriedly, sniffling. "I thought you were a gentleman...a hero."

Nate flushed. "Sorry, your Majesty. It's...it's been a long day. And we're not home free yet. We need to move."

She nodded, decisively, unable to hide the relief on her face. "Considering we're in combat, and brevity might save my life, you can call me...Ana."

In his mind, Isabelle snorted. *Does she want you to thank her for the honor?*

"I'm Nate. Let's go."

They moved quickly, getting off the town's streets and into the surrounding jungle, the sun beginning to set. The setting sun cast a pinkish glow through the trees, causing the shifting shadows to look a little less ominous. This part of the jungle hadn't been set aflame by the bugs, but the air was still thick with smoke, choking their throats and filling their nostrils with its sulphuric scent.

"Careful of the sun-colored leafy brush there." Ana pointed out. "It's poisonous."

"Good tip." Nate swallowed as he carefully shifted past it.

Ana, thankfully, seemed comfortable in the jungle environment, not quite the prissy princess he'd imagined. She pointed out the more dangerous, sentient, fauna, the vines that curled toward them to try and hook them up, the grass that shimmered, waiting to drop them into a teethy pit below. As she took the lead, Nate did his best not to stare too much at her perky bottom, bouncing in her panties, framed beautifully by her garters. She would have made a beautiful bride.

Nate gripped his blaster tighter. She still might, if he could keep her alive.

A low humming caught his attention, barely audible over the chirps and buzzing of the jungle.

"Wait," Nate caught Ana by the shoulder.

"What?"

He paused. *Isabelle?*

*Isolating humming sound, amplifying, replaying back to you.*

"It's a hover-speeder. Multiple hover-speeders," He corrected.

"I can't hear a thing." She frowned.

"Move!" He scanned the area, searching for a hiding place. Up? No, if there were monkeys or birds up there, they'd make a lot of noise, giving the position. He caught sight of a gnarled, dead tree trunk, hollowed out and dotted with the holes of woodpeckers.

"In the tree trunk." They squeezed into the trunk, the air sticky and humid, the trunk barely able to fit them both. Ana shivered, Nate's breath on her neck, his arm around her waist as he pulled her back enough to fit her in.

The humming picked up, loud enough that Ana could hear it, and then suddenly the humming became a thrumming of engines, lots of them, and bug voices.

Ana squirmed in his arms, uncomfortable. Nate held his breath as the voices became louder, all too aware his cock was pressed firmly between her perky buttocks. She squirmed more, only managing to push him even further against her, his cock sitting underneath her skimpy, lacy panties.

Nate groaned almost inaudibly — it felt like she was grinding on him.

"Stop moving." He murmured, the bugs closing in.

"Get that thing out of my rear end." The Princess snapped back, red in the face.

"Ssh." He shushed her as the bugs started chittering about something, excited. They'd found their tracks.

Please don't find us, please don't find us. He chanted in his mind.

*Would you like me to try and lower the amount of blood going to your penis, Nate?*

*You could do that all this time?! Yes, yes I do!*

*Voice analysis indicates that you actually do not want me to do so, ignoring your verbal request.*

*Real funny, Isabelle. I'm going to take it out on your ass, when I learn enough meditation.*

*Promises, promises.* Isabelle teased, her voice sultry.

A shadow passed by their tree, casting them in darkness. Nate and Ana held their breath. And then it was gone. The bugs got back on their speeders, the thrum of their engines startling the local wildlife until it eventually dissipated.

"Finally." Ana huffed, heaving herself out of the trunk. Nate wiped the sweat from his brow and followed. Once he'd brushed clean of the dirt and the insects, he found her watching him, arms crossed, tapping her foot. Not quite the intimidating figure, given that she was in some of the skimpest, sexiest bridal lingerie he'd ever seen. Plus, he could tell her nipples were hard.

"Are all Federation troops so...unfulfilled?" The Princess jabbed.

Nate laughed, more out of relief than amusement. They still had a chance of getting off this planet. "Just me, your Majesty. I can't help it, you're a very beautiful woman, and you're not wearing much. Give a guy a break, huh?"

Her frown changed to smallest of smiles, lips twitching up. "I suppose I should be flattered. You aren't the man that was supposed to see me like this."

"Where is he?"

She scowled, kicking some dirt. "The coward fled at first contact. Didn't even wait for me. He's not a man at all."

Nate grimaced. As a military man, he abhorred those that absconded their duty. "A traitor, then." He spat out his saliva, feeling like a bug had gotten in his mouth.

"Yes." Ana brushed away some dirt from her stomach and thighs, and then shivered under his hot gaze, knowing his thoughts. "Can't you give me your tactical vest or something?"

Nate looked at her deliberately, from head to toe, then grinned. "Nope."

She shook her head. "Not a gentleman at all." Ana muttered, but she didn't look too upset.

"Just a soldier, your Majesty. We need to get moving before they double back once they can't find any more tracks. Any ideas?"

"Yes, actually. Across the bridge one hundred paces north, the jungle becomes impenetrable to anyone not on foot. The fauna there is so dangerous that only the locals can safely navigate it."

"You're a local?" Nate said skeptically.

"Well, no." She blushed adorably. "But I spent many moons here in my childhood, and I know these lands. My mother taught me."

Nate hummed and hawwed. "It's a better idea than anything I've got. Let's go."

"Just like that?"

"Just like that. You're on point - take us to the bridge, little lady."

"Little lady?" Ana scowled at him, crossing her arms, incidentally raising her breasts for his viewing pleasure. He saw a peek of pink nipple spilling out of her bra. She was...gifted. "I'm the Princess of all the Lunari Realms, future queen of my people."

Nate growled, spinning her around by her shoulder. "Well, you're going to be a real pretty corpse if you don't get off your high horse. Take us to the bridge, Princess."

She tutted, muttering something Lunari under her breath, but she set off at a pace, daring him to keep up.

It wasn't easy for him - his aches and pains were beginning to toll, every step ending a sharp pain up from his foot. He was pretty sure he had a pool of blood in his boots, and he felt like he had about a thousand glass shards in his body. How many windows had he jumped through today?

The sheer heat of the jungle had his sweat mixing with blood.

*Focus, Nate.*

Nate kept his eyes on that beautiful jiggling bottom of the Princess. One foot in front of the other. It was the only good thing on this humid hell-hole of a planet.

*Not what I meant, but if it keeps you moving...*

After what felt like hours, Ana paused, allowing him to catch up. There it was, the wooden rope bridge, tottering and swaying in the wind.

"Are you okay?" Ana asked.

"No." He said honestly. "Let's keep going." The bridge looked clear, but the surrounding trees shifted with black shadows. It was too quiet. Where was the birdsong?