A Soldier For All Seasons Ch. 16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Then why did you slow down your squad, Clancy?"

"I thought my suggestions would help us win, Ma'am."

"Do you see a world in which a faster execution of Graziano's plan wins the match, Clancy?"

*Battle simulation of that scenario still ends in a defeat in most cases.* Isabelle said helpfully.

"Yes, Ma'am." Nate said, knowing what answer she wanted. He'd grilled out enough trainees to know when he was getting the same treated.

"Right!" Rivero sheathed her knife and he let out a slow breath. She turned on her heel. "Let that be a lesson to everyone, because we all fucking know there were no other lessons to be learned from that disaster. A bad plan followed faithfully is better than no plan. If you make it to Judge, or even to Jury, it's important to come together as one unit. Whether you're pulling civilians out of impending missile zones or leading a infil team, you have to be on the same page."

She snapped back to Nate. "I do hope that not all your blood runs to your cock, Clancy. Get your brain together and sort your shit out." She sniffed and strutted away.

"Yes, Ma'am."

Isabelle pouted in his head. Graziano glared at him. Xavier smirked.

Nate just rubbed the bridge of his nose. He hoped Ana was having a better time than he was.

###

Ana stilled her bouncing knee, fighting the urge to dry her hands on her skirt.

Through the bridge's window, Mal Fortoros. In her native tongue, it translated to ill intent - and some still thought her ancestors didn't have a sense of humor. For the planet was anything but forboding. Mal Fortoros was one reason why Lunari royalty remained Lunari royalty. It could not be divined. It could not be scried.

It could not be attacked.

For it was already dead.

Mostly — the planet had been struck by a weapon, a disaster. It imploded, the atmosphere exploding in on itself, entire continents, entire plates falling into the hungry core, pure gravitational destruction, more than fire, more than plasma, just a hungry vacuum from within, pulling everything within until the planet itself blipped out of existence, like it had never been.

Except mid-implosion, it had stopped. Somehow.

And caused a mystery for the ages.

A mystery that remained, perfectly preserved, like a Stasis food fridge, the blinking blue light at the planet's core flickering, surrounded by trillions of floating granules of dirt and debris and homes and people: twirling in a whirlpool as they were sucked toward an end they would never find, a book without a final chapter.

And on the edge, her country, like a house at the top of a crumbling cliff, just seconds away from the inward pull reaching it as it spread out. Cracks rent through the land, visible even from here, huge and glowing from within, but never widening, never spreading.

Once, long ago, this planet would have been a tragedy, one that signaled the death of a burgeoning civilization. Once, Ana reflected, there had probably been yearly memorials. A grief that poured into the culture, a grief that changed not just those that lived through it but their children and their children's children. But that was many eons ago.

Now, most saw it as a blessing. For they had benefited hugely from the Mal Fortoros implosion, the planet opening itself up, a mine of rare and vastly expensive materials. The Royal Poet called it an open chest that revealed a huge beating heart, one that had spent centuries pumping blood into the Lunari civilization.

Resources to sell, to trade with, to achieve easy space flight, to fuel weapons greater than any the humans or the Reverts had.

As they neared the planet, Ana could see the little lights of the ships that even now mined it, for resources or research, like fluttering insects picking at the blood of a great beast.

There were no Lunari warships parked here, no defense grid, no apparent security. Ana knew better than that, but she also knew that no Lunari would attack it. For any missile, any beam, any force...that could strike the strange stasis that held over the planet. The implosion would resume.

And her people's wealth would be lost.

Her mother, the Empress — she didn't live on the edge of a crumbling cliff. She lay like a dragon of myth on the greatest hoard of gold in the galaxy.

Ana took a deep breath. She had to do this, but she wasn't going to enjoy it.

Cora's footsteps shook her out of her reverie. "I'd heard of it, of course..." She said softly.

"But seeing it is something else." Ana finished.

"It is incredible." Cora stared at the colors of the imploded planet, as they mixed together, the space cosmos and the frozen planet's inside becoming one, so it was difficult to tell one began and the other ended. A painting in outer space, if it weren't for the slight hovering of the imploded granules and the roaming mining ships.

Ana smiled at her new friend. "That will be the one saving grace of this trip, I think. I can't wait to see your face when you bite into a Fel'falar."

Cora raised her eyebrow. "Is this trip really gonna be that bad for you?"

She bit her lip. That was part of her trepidation. She didn't know. "Maybe." She answered finally. "Mother will be angry. She won't understand why I left and didn't come back. And she certainly won't understand why I'm not standing. She is a..." She trailed off.

"Dictator?" Cora interjected.

Ana winced. The Lunari leadership style was no secret. It had caused strife with the other races in the Council but the Lunari never cared for foreign conflict, which made people accept it over time. "Yes," She acceded. "But also no. I mean, she's not kind, she's a...dictator." Ana said, feeling odd as the alien word coursed over her tongue. There was no such word in her language. The closest word still meant...leader. Maybe that was part of the problem. "But she's not a dictator to me. She's my mother."

Cora snorted. "Who dictates your life."

Ana sat back in the Captain's chair, drawing her knees up to her chest. The chair was too big and it felt wrong to sit where Nate should sit, but it smelled like him. "Yes. But dictators do it for power, for money, because they're greedy or egotistic. My mother genuinely believes that only she knows best, that only she can lead our people. And," She fidgeted, more than aware of how her words sounded. "It's one of those troubled-sick, I mean, one of those sick things where many millions of Lunari have benefited from the unification."

"And a lot of people died." Cora countered.

"And a lot of people died." Ana agreed. "It always sounds like I'm defending her and I'm not!" She raised her hands, imploring her new friend to believe her. "She's an awful, awful person and a murderer and a-" She blew out a long breath. "Yes. But—"

"But she's still your mother." Cora finished.

"Right." And wasn't that the core of it?

"Well, mommy probably wouldn't want to see you in just Nate's shirt." Cora's amused eyes ran down her, pausing on her bare legs.

She fiddled with the button on the cuff. She'd pushed it up to her elbow, like he did, half-sleeve and half-buttoned — he loved to see her wearing it.

"I miss him." She said quietly. The ship was so quiet without him and Isabelle. Just beeps and the slight whir of the engine. It was cold and sterile and lonely. "I hope he's okay. I just want to get back there as soon as possible."

Cora rolled her eyes but she was laughing. "Okay, lovebird. Go and change already so we can get this over with. Should I take a weapon? She's not going to kill me, is she?" She smiled but her eyes tightened a little.

"No," Ana giggled. "She'll barely notice you. Help me dress? I need a Princess dress."

Cora followed her into their bedroom and then let out a cough, her nose wrinkled. "It still smells like sex in here. Girl, your fingers are going to prune up."

Ana flushed red, letting her long hair fall across her face to hide it. She hadn't washed the sheets — it was the only thing that made his absence. Feeling like she was sleeping next to him. Cuddling into the blankets, face pressed against his pillow. "Don't be crude."

"Says the girl who squirted on my face." Cora muttered under her breath.

Ana was stunned speechless, clearing her throat loudly. She pulled his shirt off and flicked through her line of outfits. Most of it was stuff for them, but she'd bought a few Princess outfits.

She idly wondered if she could take a bigger ship for when he was done with his training. Mother wouldn't be pleased, but Nate really needed it. For all her gifts. And Cora was still sleeping in the little bed in the maintenance room, though Ana had invited her to share the king-sized bed with her.

She bit her lip. She probably should clean the sheets.

Cora was staring at her naked body. "What I wouldn't give to look like you."

Ana gave her a warm smile. "You could."

The pink-haired girl scowled at her. "Don't say that, knowing what I am."

It wasn't the first time the subject had come up. The cyber-modded girl now sort of believed her about her body transformation, but that didn't extend to believing Nate's semen could rid her of all of her cyber mods. "I have actual fucking organs missing — what's his magic cum gonna do, grow that shit? Get real." She'd said.

"I'm sorry." Ana said sincerely. She grabbed her hand and squeezed it. "I'm glad you're here. I really, really needed a friend."

Cora jostled her shoulder, staring at the mirror that reflected them both. "Is that what I am?"

Ana stared at the mirror too, at her curves, at her bust, at the way her slim waist widened to those hips he loved so much. Child-bearing hips, Nate had told her once, his hands on them as she rode him gently, staring into his eyes. And next to her, Cora, pretty but awkward. Gangly, all anger and hurt and unsure of herself. That self-deprecating look that Ana knew.

That all women knew, Ana thought.

It would take time. She grabbed her hand and squeezed it tightly. "I've not had many." The Lunari said honestly.

"Me neither." Cora pinched her hip. "Come on. The dark blue dress that goes to your knees, maybe with the black heels?"

"Really?"

"Yeah, look, the waist cinches in tight. Even though you're not showing any skin on top, it'll remind Mommy that you're a woman now."

"Thank you." Ana said sincerely.

Cora took the controls as they landed at the Royal port, her eyes widening at long perfectly straight road running through the palace fields up to the Palace itself. It was called the fields but really they were gardens, perfectly mowed grass separated by a colorful array of rows and rows of flora from across the Lunari worlds. Mother's pride and joy.

They settled with a nasty bump. "Sorry," Cora called out. "New to this one. Smoother than anything I've flown."

"It's fine." Ana said dismissively. She remembered when she'd seen one of the Royal pilots fired for scuffing the paint of their carrier. That seemed like a different life now.

Down the ramp, she felt the familiar crunch of her feet on the pebble path, white stones mixed with the odd blue nightgem, so it would sparkle in the night. Familiar faces too, the courtiers in an honor guard, wearing their royal sashes. Colors to denote hierarchy, but she'd never cared for what marked who.

"Your royal highness, we're so glad to see you return safely." Jasariel, the old man, sprightly as ever. The worry lines in his forehead had increased.

"Jas, good to see you. Is Mother home?" Ana strutted ahead and the courtiers rushed to keep pace. Though she asked the question, she knew the answer already. Mother was always home and the flag was flying high above the palace, a pure white. White marked surrender to the humans, which Ana had always felt foolish. Here, white was royal. The nobles had to ask the Royal family for the right to wear it on their wedding days.

"Yes, she's in the war room, she'll be so glad to see you, she's been worried mightily—"

"Thank you, Jas." Ana interrupted. "This is my friend Cora, she is to be treated as well as we can. Will you prepare a room and a bath for me? And a bath for me too, thank you."

Cora was looking around with wide eyes that widened still as they came closer to the Palace. The path was long — usually Ana would take a carriage, but the effect of the Palace was lost a little in them. She felt a little guilty about it, but she wanted her friend to be impressed by her home. Maybe she just wanted her friend to be impressed by her.

Under the bright sun light, the Palace was more impressive than usual, the light reflecting off the sunstone. Specially treated marble stone flown so close to their local sun, to burn it orange, to make the treatment within the stone glow preternaturally. It was called the Palace, but really it was a castle, wider than it was tall, the four tall turrets at each angle.

"It's a stereotype of a building, is it not?" Ana prompted.

Cora grinned. "It looks like every Princess's castle."

Ana knew what she meant. Every book and film and fantasy — the dreaming spires, the Princess at the top of the tower, and inside, the glamorous spiraling staircase, decked out in red carpet, white stone mixed with gold ornaments. It was like every Princess' castle, because they were all based on her. What little Lunari girl didn't fantasize about being Princess Anariel?

They'd even infected Federation culture. Soft power — perhaps Mother's greatest weapon.

Ana smiled as she looked up at her home. A beautiful castle, but it lost a little luster knowing that she'd never be able to bring her Prince inside. She bit her lip as they approached. The vast glass doors opened. Mother was coming.

She stepped out, resplendent in a long forest green dress with a huge, gauzy crinoline to give the skirt a large circumference. The train of it flowed behind her as she swept towards her, face guarded.

Ana kept a smile on her own face, even as her thoughts swam with turmoil. Mother. Mother was the reason she couldn't show Nate her bedchamber, couldn't watch his face when he saw her ride on her winged Ellethen, couldn't kiss him in her spire, couldn't dress him in Lunari silks, couldn't laugh at him attempting Lunari etiquette.

Couldn't call for a royal engagement, step out onto the balcony above the adoring masses, his hand on her back, her hand on her growing belly.

She shook her head as they stepped into the Palace's 'official' garden, through the grand gate and toward Mother.

"Mother." Ana curtsied.

"Don't be silly, little bird." Mother swept her up in a desperate tight embrace, warm and constricting. For a moment, Ana imagined she had a different mother, one that she could tell the truth. Tell her she'd fallen in love. Tell her she'd become a woman. Ask her how to make a man utter those three words. Ask her how to make a man stay until the ends of time.

But she didn't. Mother didn't marry. Ana had no official father.

Mother ruled alone.

"My daughter." Mother trembled a little and withdrew with an uninhibited smile. "I have longed for your safe return."

She squeezed her again. This was what people didn't understand. How could she stand against this cruel leader when this leader loved her, loved her with every fiber of her being. How could you stand against the fervent ardor of love?

Ana gave her a tremulous smile and said nothing.

"We have much to discuss." Mother told her before her curious gaze turned to Cora.

"My friend." Ana filled in. "She helped me survive."

"Then you are a welcome and treasured guest of the Lunari." Mother said. "Please enjoy our hospitality and live in our home as if it were your own, for you the gratitude of not just me, but our entire people."

"Thank you." Cora curtsied, the sight of the half-metal girl odd amongst the natural beauty.

"Now," Mother took Ana's hand in her own. "You'll be wanting to wash up I'm sure. Make sure you wash your face. We'll have dinner in a couple of hours." Ana let herself be led.

Mother ran her hands down Ana's hips. "Such curves! What have you been eating?" She tutted. "Perhaps you should stick to the salad tonight."

Ana didn't laugh because it wasn't a joke. But she wouldn't eat the salad either. She was Nate's perfect woman. Not the Lunari ideal of beauty. Nate's.

The thought cheered her up. Ana looked back at Cora, who just stared with wide eyes. She smiled at the pink-haired girl, a strained smile.

It was going to be a long trip. In the stars above, beyond those blue skies, Nate trained to be a Judge. And it was a reminder that no matter how tightly Mother squeezed her hand, no matter what food she put in front of her, what dresses she made her wear, Ana no longer belonged to her.

She was Nate's. She was in love with a strong and powerful man.

And if she wanted to be his with all of her ardor, she had to show some of that strength herself.

She set her shoulders and followed stiffly.

It was time to show that eventually a Princess became a Queen.

12