A Thousand Bucks Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She looked at me with tears in her eyes but was holding back crying. "Pitiful, isn't it? I just figured a thousand dollars would pay my rent, which is three hundred fifty dollars a month and I would have the remainder to help make it through the month while I look for another job. Hopefully I could find a good job when I graduate next month."

She looked down at her baby and said, "I think someone's awake and needs changing. Zack, please excuse me for a few minutes while I take Jerry to the changing room. Please don't leave."

I guess she thought it would give me a chance to leave. I wasn't sure what to do. While she was gone I called Harold and asked him if he would talk to a woman about the front desk and bookkeeping position. I figured if she was telling me the truth I might be able to help her.

I saw her coming back and she smiled when she saw I was still there.

"Well Zack, that's my story. Where do we go from here?"

"Jenny, do you really want to sleep with a guy you just met?

She started to cry. "No, but I don't know what else to do."

"What about children's services? Have you tried contacting them?"

"I can't take a chance that they might take Jerry from me. My situation isn't the best. I'm trying, but they might not see it that way. I've seen too many situations where they take the kids away from their mother. I can't take that chance."

She stopped crying and hugged little Jerry. He was one cute little boy. He reached over and took a French fry and began chewing on it.

"Jenny, I'm not going to sleep with you." Tears welled up in her eyes again. "Don't cry, please. I have an offer for you but you better have told me the truth. If I find out you have lied to me the deal will be over."

"What deal? I don't understand...." replied Jenny.

"I own a motel and I'm looking to hire a desk clerk and bookkeeper. I talked to Harold, the one I have now and he will be talking to you to see if you know bookkeeping. We'll talk again after he interviews you."

"Thank you, and I have told you the truth. How is that going to help me with my rent by Monday?"

"Talk to Harold first. I'll loan you the money or give you an advance if you end up taking the job. I'm sorry if this seems rushed but you aren't giving me much time here. I need to know how honest you have been with me. Follow me over to my motel and we'll go from there."

I paid for lunch and we went out to her old car. She put Jerry in the back in his car seat and followed me to the motel. I probably didn't realize it at the time but I felt something special about Jenny.

When we arrived at the motel, I introduced Jenny to Harold and Emma. I think she felt relief. She probably wasn't sure if I was up to something. Emma offered to watch Jerry while Harold and Jenny went into the office. I sat with Emma and Jerry; he sure was a good kid. Never thought much about kids before.

I told Emma about Jenny going to college and having another month to go. I asked her if she would consider baby sitting Jerry till Jenny graduated. Of course it all depended on Harold's evaluation.

"I'd love to watch the little fellow," replied Emma. "I sure hope she can do the job. She's pretty and seems well mannered. I know Harold can be an old grump at times but he will give you an honest evaluation."

A half hour had passed and both Jenny and Harold came out of the office. Emma and I were sitting outside their room in lawn chairs playing with Jerry. We often sat outside and talked when there wasn't much going on. Emma was kind of motherly to me even though I was the owner and Harold's supposed boss. He just ran the business and let me know how things went.

Harold and I went back into the office to talk. Jenny sat with Emma. "Well Harold, I need to know the truth. Does she know bookkeeping and do you think she's capable of doing the bookwork and possibly running the front desk?"

"Jerrod, that woman is smart. She could run circles around me when it comes to accounting. She has already showed me a few ways to help with posting things. She works with an updated computer program which could cut the bookkeeping time in half."

"I only need a bookkeeper part-time. Is she capable of running the desk?"

"She is more than capable but I would worry a little about some of the customers hitting on her. She's a young beautiful girl and we have a few not so nice customers. Outside of that I would say she was more than qualified."

I had my answers. Now I needed to talk to Jenny. I asked Harold for the key to suite number two. It was right next to Harold's and Emma's suite. It had already been remodeled. Harold and I went outside and I asked Jenny if she would come to suite two with me. Emma said she would watch Jerry.

I opened the door and we went in. "This is a nice suite. It looks a lot nicer than my old trailer," Jenny said. "Is your name Jerrod or Zack? Emma called you Jerrod."

"Jerrod is my given name. I just used Zack so people wouldn't know who I was. I talked to Harold and he told me you really have a handle on this accounting thing. Harold and Emma are moving to Florida in the next few months. I need both a desk receptionist and a bookkeeper. I'm wondering if you would be interested in either or both jobs.

"You would train in the evening or when there is no school with Harold on how and what to do. Of course we are always willing to hear new ideas. The bookkeeping job would only be part-time unless I combined the jobs. Harold does them both now. He was the owner before I bought the motel. I'm not good with accounting so I would trust you to do the right thing."

"I'd love the chance to prove I could do it. How much does it pay?"

"While you are training part-time with Harold I would give you three hundred a week." She looked a little worried.

"What is it? Don't you think that is a fair wage for part-time?"

"No, it's fair but I have all the back rent and things I need to pay or lose my trailer." She looked at me rather sadly.

"Jenny, this room we are in would be your new home. There will be no rent payments, it's part of your salary package. Free room and board."

"Oh my God, this is so much nicer. Thank you, Jerrod. When can I start and what about my getting my stuff? Do you know anyone with a pickup truck?"

"Jenny, I want you to go home and do your best to pack up your personal things. I'll be by tomorrow with a few friends to move you. How much stuff do you have?"

"The place was furnished, if you want to call it that. The only big things I have are Jerry's bed and dresser. Most all the rest of the stuff would be in boxes. I don't know if I can pack in all in one day."

"I'll help you, if you don't mind. I'll stop by the store and we'll get a lot of boxes and garbage bags. You can get a lot of clothes in them," I replied.

We thanked Harold and Emma and said we would see them later. We got the boxes and headed to her trailer. She was right, it was a trashy trailer court. It was worse than the one I was raised in. We took in the boxes and began filling them with her personal stuff.

In a couple of hours we had everything in either bags or boxes. I asked Jenny if she wanted to catch a little dinner. She followed me back to the motel and dropped off her car. I asked Emma if she would mind watching Jerry for an hour while Jen and I got a bite to eat. She was more than happy to do it.

We went and had a nice dinner and discussed more of what she would be expected to do. I told her that Harold mention that some of the customers at the motel were a bit unsavory. She told me she worked in a bar and was sure she could handle it. I liked this girl, she had some real spunk.

We went back to the motel and she went to her new home and I went down to mine. I was in suite seven. I called Bill and told him the situation, all but how I met Jen. He told me he would get two of the guys from the gym to help us move in the morning. We had three pickup trucks and I figured it would do the job.

The next day I introduced Jen to Bill. He looked at me and smiled. I knew what he was thinking. I told him later we weren't dating. I had just hired her to replace Harold when he leaves. Also that she was a student and would be graduating next month. I don't think he bought it, even though it was the truth.

"You're getting to be just an old softy," said Bill. "Are you sure it's just business? You seem to be happier for some reason and I know you better than anyone."

"I don't know. Her start in life has so many similarities to maybe my mother's and even mine. She's pretty, smart and I thought she deserved a chance," I said.

"I know, Jerrod, but inside I know there is more going on with you. Well, I guess we better go get her things."

Emma volunteered to watch Jerry while we moved Jen's things. We pulled up to her trailer and the guys started loading the trucks. Some short fat dumpy guy came up to Jen and said she owed him money. She looked over at me.

"Look, you fat little pervert. She isn't giving you shit. You're lucky she isn't filing harassment charges against you. This way I see it she received one month's free rent for putting up with you. Now get the fuck away from her or I'll knock you on your ass."

The man turned and hurried back to his trailer. Bill looked at me and laughed. "I told you there is something going on inside you." I knew he was right. I never acted like this before.

Jen said she wanted to say goodbye to her neighbor and thank her for watching Jerry. I handed her five hundred dollars and told her to give it to her friend. She kissed me on the cheek and said, "Thank you, I'll pay you back."

We had all her stuff packed and when she returned we headed back to her new apartment and unloaded all her things. "That should keep you busy for a while," I laughed.

I gave the men each twenty dollars for helping. That's everyone but Bill. He wouldn't have taken it anyway.

On Monday Jen started back to school. She made the same offer to Emma of ten dollars a day to watch Jerry. Emma would have done it for nothing but knew Jen was trying to pay her way.

After school she would go in the office with Harold and started to learn the business. She would stay till our night shift person showed up. I had an older fella who came in from six to midnight to watch the desk. If there were any emergencies after midnight they would ring Harold.

We always put up the no vacancy sign up at midnight. It wasn't worth it to have someone behind the desk all night long. I was going to hire another part-time person to work the weekend day shift after Harold and Emma left. I would leave it up to Jen since she would be my go-to person.

I stayed away from Jen for most of the week. I knew she had a lot to do with getting her apartment set up, and going to school during the day. I did stop and see Jerry and Emma. She was so happy with the little fella. She told me that Jen had wondered why I didn't come to see her. "She thinks a lot of you Jerrod, but I think you know that."

I talked with Harold and he told me she was super on the computer and was beginning to update the accounts payable and receivables. When she finished the program she would be able to do the bookkeeping in half the time. Harold was old fashioned and did it all by hand. He said he was too old to learn all this new stuff.

I stopped by to see Jen on Friday. I gave her three hundred dollars for the week. "I didn't work but two days," she said.

"You still have to work with Harold tomorrow. Since you're on salary I thought you could use the money."

"You're right," she said. "I have to pay a hundred to the hospital. I don't want to mess up our agreement."

I stopped in Saturday to visit with Jen and Harold. She smiled when she saw me. "Would anyone be up for pizza later? I'm buying."

Harold said he would tell Emma to come over to the office. She was with Jerry in their apartment. Once Jen would be on her own she could keep Jerry in the office with her or hire another babysitter. That would be up to her.

I asked Jen if I could use her car to go get the pizza since her car was right out front. She handed me her keys. When I got in I noticed her gas tank was almost empty. Before picking up the pizza I pulled into a service station and filled up her tank.

It was fun sitting around talking and eating pizza. Jen told us about taking her finals and getting ready for graduation. She asked us if we would like to come to it. She didn't know hardly anyone and had four invitations. We all told her we would be there. She was going to give her last invitation to her friend Mildred.

I was working at the gym one day and Bill introduced me to Shauna. She was a dark complexioned woman that looked like she worked out a lot. Bill had hired her part-time to help with the young people, especially the teenage girls. She was the softball coach at the high school as well as a substitute teacher.

Bill thought it was best if we had a female instructor helping the girls and women. I had to agree with him. Our business was growing fast since we had the add-on built. A lot of older people were taking advantage of the indoor track as well.

Later he told me he wanted to ask Shauna out and wondered if we could double date. When I asked him who I was supposed to ask he mention Jenny. I told him I would get back to him on that one. I didn't know if dating Jen was a good idea. After all I was her boss. He let me know that we were Shauna's boss too, but he didn't see a problem with it.

A week later I approached Jen and asked her would she feel funny going on a double date with me. I mentioned to her that Bill had a woman he wanted to ask out but would prefer to be with another couple the first time.

"Oh gosh, I don't know, Jerrod. I'll be honest with you. I like you, I like you a lot. I've talked with Emma and I know you're wealthy. I know people will say I'm going with you because of your money, but it's not true. I like you as a person."

"Look, it's a date. We'll go to a movie, have dinner maybe a drink or two and then I'll bring you home. I like being with you too. What do you say we give it a shot? I'll tell Bill we're on for next Saturday."

"Ok, I'll see if Emma is willing to baby sit with Jerry," said Jen.

"She will. I already asked her, she said she would love too. She really likes you and Jerry." Jen just smiled at me.

I got back to Bill and he asked Shauna and the date was on. I know this sounds foolish for a man that's been with at least a hundred women, but I was nervous. This was a real date for me and there wouldn't be any sex at the end of the night.

Jen looked wonderful. Just seeing her smile made me smile. It was something I didn't do a lot. I picked up Bill and Shauna. He seemed rather happy also. We decided to eat at the Red Lobster. Jen and Shauna talked a little about their backgrounds. It was all upbeat news, Shauna about her coaching position and Jen about graduating the next week.

After dinner we went to a movie. The girls picked out a comedy. Jen and I shared a tub of popcorn. I was really having a good time. Bill and Shauna seemed to be hitting it off pretty good also. After we left the theatre we stopped and had a drink and listened to the music. I wished we would have gone to a place that had dancing. I would have liked to hold her in my arms.

When we got back to the motel Jen told me she had a wonderful time. She hoped that we could do it again sometime. I gave her a kiss on the cheek and headed back to my apartment. I was both happy and sad. I was happy when I thought about Jen and sad that I didn't take more time to discuss a relationship with her.

The following week we all went to her graduation. I even stopped by and picked up her old friend Mildred. She was happy to see Jerry again. During the ride to the graduation I did mention to Mildred that we had rooms for rent and we'd make her a good deal if she wanted to move.

She smiled and said, "Jerrod, I lived in that trailer for over forty years. I have all my memories there. I thank you for thinking of me but I'm doing just fine." I gave her my number and told her if she ever needed anything to call me. I don't know what was happening to me; all of a sudden I was wanting to help people.

After the graduation we all went out for a big party. Mildred got along great with Harold and Emma. The three of them told each other stories all night long. Bill and Shauna were getting closer. He told me he really liked her and was going to see where it goes. He was going to take his time.

Jenny and I talked and danced. I finally had a chance to hold her in my arms. She felt so good. Everyone took turns holding Jerry including me. There was so much I wanted to say to Jen but I was afraid. The problem was I wasn't sure what I was afraid of.

Was it fear of a real relationship? Maybe fear of commitment? Did she feel the same as I did? I know she liked me but was it for all the things I had done for her or was it something more? How did she really feel about my financial situation?

All these questions will be answered in the fourth and fifth, the last chapters.

*

Thank you for reading my story

Comments are welcome and appreciated.

DG Hear

12