A Tiny Slip Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I sat on the sofa in my room and gave my statement of everything that had happened from the time I followed Gor-don to the Ward Harvester warehouse until I was met by ambulances in the field near Cemetery Hill, all of my statement recorded on videotape.

I might have omitted portions about Misaki's ninja setting up an air cushion for the helicopter, and my use of Ned's pain-inducing drugs, though I did say that Elizabeth forced Westboro onto the chopper. I did make sure to emphasize that Westboro had committed suicide rather than be arrested and made to face a Courtroom.

As everything was finished, Chief Griswold came in. "Hi, Chief." I said. "How much trouble am I in this time?"

"You'll never get the paperwork for this one done, Crowbar." said Griswold, his eyes showing his true emotions.

"Okay, we'll finish this up later." said Chief Moynahan, observing us. He escorted Lt. Goodwin out.

I stood up and extended my hand. "We did it, Chief. We got him. At long last."

"Yes," said the Chief. "You did it." He shook my hand, but only to pull me to him in a hug. He was getting emotional, and I just hugged him and let him get it all out. His Town was finally clean, ridded of the Evil that had infested it for too long. His one 'bucket list' item was finally complete.

"And you damn near paid too heavy a price, Crowbar." the old Chief finally said, wiping the tears from his eyes as he finally let go of me. "It would not have been worth it to lose you."

"Well, you didn't lose me." I replied. "And we've got a lot more fun in store... as soon as I dig out of that hole my reputation has fallen into."

"Oh, don't worry about that, son." said Griswold. "The roaches are scurrying for cover as fast as they can. Between your legal eagles and the FBI, all of that shit will be cleared in no time flat."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

My back began hurting so I got back into bed. Chief Griswold and I talked about some things to wrap up the case, things the Chief would relay to the FBI. As we finished, Cindy Ross came in. She was in civilian attire, a dark green dress and sensible shoes. When she and I made eye contact, much more than words were communicated between us.

"We'll talk later, Crowbar." said the Chief, who smiled at Cindy and then left the room.

"The baptismal pool." I said as I lay in a half-sitting, half-reclining position in my bed. "That's Iron Crowbar thinking, there." I then saw that Cindy's eyes were too wide for humor at this moment.

"You... pushed the button, didn't you?" she asked, advancing towards me. "You did, didn't you?"

"At the time, it seemed the logical thing to do." I said in my best Vulcan-esque voice. "Seriously, I could hear in my earphones that everyone wasn't out yet."

Cindy then all but collapsed on me in a hug. I heard her whisper into my ear as she cried, saying "Don't you dare ever try to leave me like that again!" I just hugged her back for a long moment as she sobbed, letting a lot of held-back stuff come out. "It's okay... it's okay..." I whispered as she held me like a lifeline.

Finally, I broke the hug and made her stand up. "Look, I'm fine. I made it. Westboro didn't. How's Teresa, by the way?"

"She's fine. Don't try to distract me." Cindy said, shutting down my ploy. "Of all the hair-brained schemes..." Tears were still streaming down her face. I got a Kleenex and dabbed them away.

"Well, it was Westboro's scheme." I said. "I'd intended to force him onto the helicopter with me, and I got some unexpected help on that. I was going to force him to defuse the bombs, but he didn't; he chose death instead. He wanted to make me commit suicide, but it ended up being him that committed suicide."

I could tell that Cindy was seeing right through that story. It was technically true, but it was obvious I'd been prepared to die to save the others... and her. She just shook her head, and I was sure she was contemplating just how bad my crowbar beatdown at her hands was going to be.

"So," I said, "seriously, what about the others?"

Cindy said: "Molly is all right. She and Sandra Speer were keeping the kids in Dr. Heinz's old dungeon under the Psychology Building, as you know. All your kids, Todd's kid, Daniel and Melina's kids too. Laura brought them all out last night."

"Good." I said. "And I'm sorry I couldn't tell you about that. It was imperative that you not know, in case the Enemy was watching you. And I'm sure they were watching you."

"And your wife and kids... and the plane crash? Couldn't tell me that, either? Let me suffer thinking my little cousins were dead?" Cindy asked.

"Your reaction was very likely reported back to Westboro." I said. "Me, I just had to look mean. You had to be genuine; you couldn't fake your reaction. I know, I know, and crowbar beatdown to follow. But take my word for it... it helped us win."

Cindy nodded. "I figured as much. But what really gets to me is you. I know you weren't trying to kill yourself... but you didn't think you were going to make it, did you?" I could see in her eyes that this meant a great deal to her.

"I did not consider it a suicide mission." I said. "But I very much understood that it might mean going over the Reichenbach Falls with Moriarty, if you know what I mean. I had to take him down, and in a way that exposed him for what he was. That was unmistakably done, and we have a Church in rubble to show for it. If I'd died, it would've been worth it. Fortunately, we only lost one person, Mrs. Veasley. We're lucky. Damned lucky."

"It would not have been worth it to me if you had died." Cindy said strongly. "Like I said, do not ever do that to me again... or I will beat you down... and then put you on Desk Duty for the rest of your life..." I began laughing at that, and the mood in the room lightened up considerably.

After a few more minutes of chatter, I said "You need to go to Teresa's room. I am going to pee, then write up your Medal of Valor application."

"My what?" Cindy said, stunned. Then she came to her senses and said "Write it up for Teresa, not me."

"I'm writing one for each of you." I said. "I heard about everything you did yesterday, especially at First Baptist Church. That could not have been done better by anyone. Outstanding job, Cindy. Simply outstanding."

"Thank you, sir." said Cindy. "But again, Teresa deserves it more than I do. She got wounded. When we were in that maintenance pit, she was going to counter-attack them. And she covered Mr. Ward during the shootout, protecting him from further harm. I'm going to be making my own write-up, of course."

"Lieutenant Croyle... wounded yet again." I said. "What-ever am I going to do with her?"

Part 18 - Past and Present

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" said Bettina at 7:00am sharp, from in front of the rubble that was just yesterday First Baptist Church. "Channel Two News is bringing you continuing coverage of yesterday's shocking events!"

"First," said Bettina, "Pastor Raymond Westboro has been conclusively shown to be behind the events leading to the bombing of First Baptist Church last evening, as a means of forcing Police Commander Donald Troy to commit suicide while flying a bomb-laden helicopter.

"Police and the FBI say that the bombs in the church were defused when Commander Troy pressed a button on a device that saved the people in the Church, but caused his helicopter to crash. Commander Troy, who was recently awarded his helicopter pilot's license, was able to bring the helicopter down in a crash landing, which he survived with minor injuries.

"Pastor Westboro was also in the helicopter, but was found dead near the crash scene. The Coroner has formally declared Westboro's death to be a suicide by cyanide ingestion. And it's as well; Sheriff Daniel Allgood had sworn out a warrant for Westboro's arrest after finding evidence that Westboro molested underaged boys and girls. Channel Two News has seen that evidence, and it is too shocking and disgusting to discuss further.

"The members of First Baptist Church are understandably in deep shock after the events, but they have promised to rebuild and to be better than ever before. Donations are pouring in for the rebuilding of the Church.

"Lieutenant Teresa Croyle is recovering after being wounded in a gun battle with wanted fugitives at the Ward Harvester plant yesterday afternoon. Lt. Croyle has been credited with saving the life of Mr. Thaddeus Ward, owner of the company, who also was wounded at the scene. Mr. Ward is in the ICU of University Hospital, recovering from his extensive injuries.

"And praise is pouring in from all quarters for Captain Cindy Ross, whose leadership in the First Baptist crisis was described as stellar and cool-headed..." Bettina went on to comment on the loss of Mrs. Veasley, discussing her honorable military career, and her leadership in the Church during those trying hours, as well.

Bettina finished: "There is also some confusion on why the Reverend Robert Patterson did not show up for the rally at First Baptist nor the event at University Arena yesterday. His spokesman says that he'd cancelled the day before, and those who purchased tickets can get refunds or tickets for other Patterson events. However, local organizers say that they never got word of the cancellations..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After the Bettina Broadcast, I ambled along to Teresa's room. She was awake, and Todd and Cindy were in the room with her. I came up to her beside.

"I know, I know." Teresa said. "Desk duty forever... and the same for you. You're grounded, sir. No more helicopter flying for you."

"Yes... and no Purple Orders for me, either." I replied, pretending severity. "This is, what, your third Purple Order?" Teresa nodded

I stood up as tall as I could and said severely "I swear to God, if you get a fourth one, it's Desk Duty forever..."

Everyone broke down laughing at that. I took Teresa's hand in mine and said "Damn good job, Lieutenant. Damn good."

"Thank you, sir." Teresa said. Just then, as I'd arranged, an older doctor came in.

"Ah, how's my patient doing?" said Dr. Leonard Cordell. He checked everything. "Hmmm, your lung is doing fine, not making a lot of fluids. No infections, always a good thing. You're a tough young lady, Ms. Croyle."

"Sir," said Teresa, "when I woke up on the operating table, you said you knew my father."

"Yes, I did." said Cordell. He looked over at me.

"Yes, tell her." I said. I looked over at Todd and Cindy. "And you two should be listening to every word of this."

Dr. Cordell pulled up a stool and sat down next to Teresa. "Yes, I knew your father in Viet Nam. I was a Navy Corpsman at the time, and he had me attached to his unit. He was the bravest man I ever knew, and he fought harder than anyone. He had a picture of his wife... your mother... in his pocket. She was all he ever thought about."

Teresa nodded as Dr. Cordell continued. "In our last action, he led his team in to rescue a group of Green Berets. And he saved them, he got everyone out with no casualties that had not already happened. He should've gotten the Medal of Honor for that, but it was on the other side of some politically drawn line, and the Army tried to bury the whole thing." The cynicism in Dr. Cordell's voice could not be mistaken.

He continued: "He was wounded, shot three times, but he survived. I admit that me and a few others helped by dragging his ass out as he fired at the advancing Charlies to cover his men. We got him back to the choppers and out of there, and the surgeons were able to save him."

"Then I have you to thank for me being here." Teresa said.

"Not really. But I'll say this: you are you father's daughter." said Cordell. "One of his wounds was in the shoulder, a lot like yours here. I didn't know how to properly fix wounds like that back then. I got a lot of practice in the wars over the last 20 years, though. Way too much practice..."

After a pause, he said "But it was my honor to be able to fix up that man's daughter. I know he'd be proud as hell of you... yes, I know of your history, how your mom died in childbirth with you... but I think deep down he would be proud of you today."

Teresa didn't reply, and the look on her face was inscrutable.

"By the way," I said, "Dr. Cordell also fixed up Captain Ross after her wounds."

"And those were much, much worse than Ms. Croyle's shoulder." said Cordell. "We were a hair from losing you that night, Ms. Ross. Commander, you have some tough women working with you. Ladies, you're both great people, and I'm glad I was able to help you."

"I haven't had the chance to thank you." said Cindy, getting up. She hugged Dr. Cordell. "I'm very grateful to you, Doctor."

"And I'm grateful to you, also." I said. "I couldn't do it without them on my team."

"I'll let you get some rest, and we'll talk more later, Ms. Croyle." said Cordell. "Commander, a moment with you outside?"

"Yes, Admiral." I said. Teresa's eyes widened at my mention of his rank, I noticed.

Once outside, Cordell said "You can show that gratitude... by getting your wife to retire from that Organization she is currently serving."

"I'm working on it, sir, believe me." I said.

"Good." Cordell said. "The bastards are trying to do to you what they tried to do to me. Don't let 'em beat you, fight back like hell."

"Yes Admiral, I will." Cordell shook my hand, and then headed down the hallway.

Part 19 - Present and Future

I left the others with Teresa and went down the hall to ICU. No one stopped me as I went inside. In one bed was Melina Allgood. Next to her was and her husband, Sheriff Daniel Allgood. Yeah, who is going to throw the Town & County Sheriff out of anywhere he wants to be?

"Well," I said, coming up to the bedside, "I'm sure the loser of the fight looks a lot worse." Melina chuckled briefly.

"A lot worse, both of them." she said. One of her eyes was swollen with dark bruises around it, there were many more bruises on her head where bruises should not be, as well as her arms and probably other parts of her body under the sheet of the bed. She'd been diagnosed with a severe concussion, broken ribs, and soft tissue damage. An operation was performed to stop internal bleeding.

"Thank you." I said. "For everything."

"Thank Joanne." Melina murmured. "She saved me, your wife, your mother, Gayle..."

"... and the kids." I said. "You weren't supposed to take this kind of beating to draw them in there, though."

"I'll remember that," said Melina, "the next time someone likes Westboro dares to come up against you." It was the kind of joke we'd shared for years as a married couple.

She was tiring. "You get some sleep." I said. As she dozed off, Sheriff Allgood came out into the hallway with me.

"I'm still not sure what all happened, there." said Daniel. I wasn't sure if he was talking about events, or if that was an accusation at the beating his wife had taken.

"The story will come out, in time. I still need to talk to the FBI about it; I only know that they got Newton after she escaped County Jail." I said.

Allgood said "And I know that the State AG and Inspector Maxwell are going to suspend the investigation of you. They'll say that their source, Julie Newton, was found to be 'not credible'. That's a fucking understatement."

"No doubt." I said. "Anyway, I'm sorry about Melina having to endure that."

"We'll talk about that one later." said Daniel. At that moment Nurse Jones came up to me, a determined look on her face. I was wordlessly led back to my own room.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 9:00am, I was lying in my bed, having just undergone some tests. The door to my room opened, and I sucked in my breath at the sight.

Seeing the most beautiful woman in the world, my wife Laura, was of course wonderful. But the tears started coming when I saw what was she was carrying in her arms: our son and daughter.

Laura came up to the bed and deposited Carole on it on my left side, then Jim on the right. "Daddy!" Carole said. Jim was smiling, too, though he didn't say anything.

"Hi, Fussbudget. Hey, Little Man." I said, putting my arms around them and drawing them to me.

"Daddy, why are you in the hos-pittle?" Carole asked, straining her neck up to look up at me.

"Because I hurt myself." I said. "So they're helping me get better."

"Daddy, why are you crying?" Carole asked as she leaned over my chest.

"It's a happy cry." I said. "Because I'm so happy to see you."

Carole laid her head down on my chest, over my heart, then extended her little arms as far as she could, to try to give me a hug. "I love you, Daddy." she said.

I lost it.

I'd held it when Chief Griswold had lost it. I'd held it when Cindy had lost it. But now it was my turn, and it all came out. All of the pain, the emotional torture, the mental exhaustion of four years of pursuing the most dangerous criminal of our generation... it all came out. I'd survived, my family had survived, and we were together again...

"I love you too..." I said, hugging her with one arm and Jim with the other. I looked up at Laura, my eyes telling her to join us. She came over and kissed my forehead, stroking my hair. "I love all of you so much..." I said through my sobs and tears.

We would share this emotional family moment for some time...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I was much, much better when Molly brought Ross and Ian to see me. They sat with me in the bed and I chatted with them, and with Molly.

"Thank you, Molly." I said. "I know it was rough in that dungeon room."

"It wasn't too bad." said Molly. "Kind of dark. We had some electricity, so Carole watched videos, and the boys played and slept. Carole loved helping me with Patricia. And Sandra Speer was with us. She told me a lot about what you did in Apple Grove, and what the FBI is doing about these race-gangs, Superior Bloodlines and White Roots."

There were stairs down to that basement lab where Dr. Heinz had died, behind the non-working elevators whose shafts had been sealed off. I'd sealed the entrance from the tunnel that led to the University Bell Tower. The night Laura and the kids had 'died' on the plane, she actually had taken the kids, Molly, her kids, Todd's son Doug, the Allgoods' kids, Sandra and Gayle down there, leaving them with plenty of food, water, some books and magazines (mostly on sexual psychology, which Molly told me Sandra read with great interest), and a shortwave radio.

And the plane crash? My wife's power was demonstrated as she arranged for another Air Force plane to fly directly over the plane from County Airport. At the moment of the crossing, Laura's plane turned off its transponder and the other plane turned theirs on... which was the same transponder setting. Both planes turned so that it looked like the transponder plane kept going straight.

And when the plane was shot down over West Virginia, the pilot of the other aircraft (which was about to be taken out of service anyway) had bailed out, and an empty plane crashed. The plane with the Agents pretending to be Gayle and my wife diverted south, and landed at Pope AFB, next to Ft. Bragg, North Carolina.

"I can't thank you enough, Molly." I said. "It was rough on Cindy, though."

"Yeah, we talked before I came in here." Molly said with a grin. "You better find your missing crowbar fast, is all I'll say about that..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At noon, I was visited by the FBI Team, with Lt. Tanya Perlman joining them. Jack Muscone, Martin Nash, Sandra Speer, Eduardo Escobar, Lindy Linares... and the Deputy Director himself. Needless to say, I first thanked Sandra for guarding my children.

"Here, I brought you some real food." said Jack Muscone. The sack contained two exceptionally delicious double cheeseburgers from the Cop Bar.