All Comments on 'A Town Without Honor Ch. 03'

by Tx Tall Tales

Sort by:
  • 221 Comments
LanmandragonLanmandragon13 days ago

Wow, that is one heck of an emotional number; vey moving.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

I’m laughing my ass off at the comments freaking out over his attraction to a 2nd cousin. They weren’t raised by each other, and that’s more than enough genetic separation. There’s many jurisdictions that don’t blink at first cousins together. I think everywhere is fine with first cousin once removed. Anything further than that is practically strangers.

ZK

mcrr2225mcrr22255 months ago

Dam TX I thought only Chloe's stories could make cry like a baby.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Bit of a Dream queen,(cuckold?) Eh?

Me thinks he doth protest too much.

With his baby daughter. Is justifiable however she rebukes him until papa "man's up. Out of the mouth of babes.

dgfergiedgfergie10 months ago

You know the problem with men?........................Women, they love us so good and hurt us so bad.

oldtwitoldtwit11 months ago

For me, your padding this out now with all the song lyrics, but I still like it.

blackknight314blackknight314about 1 year ago

So many of the commenter are lazy. They use initials instead of words. i can't figure out what they are trying to say, so I just move to the next one. "WTF" (HAHA)

blackknight314blackknight314about 1 year ago

Good job, thanks for sharing your work!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

That was really ordinary.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This is a really lousy part...all these lyrics, for nothing. The story has not gained anything from this interlude. I hope it gets better, but frankly, I doubt it.

EvelZombieEvelZombieover 1 year ago

This dude's an idiot. He has been wallowing in his pain for months now. If he can't handle his shit then get a proper divorce and at least be there for his kids. And Jesus get a therapist. I have known a few people that are built like this guy, self righteous sees everything in black and white etc. Usually when they break it is hard, but damn nothing like this

dgfergiedgfergieover 1 year ago

The man is hurting and I feel his hurt. One minute you have a family and the a selfish woman takes it all away from you and you cry. Does that make you a pussy because men aren't supposed to cry? Don't some you who call other men pussies ever listen the Eagles songs about what a woman can do to man? Our MC had been with this woman his whole life. He worked his butt off for his family and she got lonely and fucked all the men around her...............where are the morals, the virtue, the dedication and honor. Do promises mean nothing? Some times I wonder.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Love all the Newfies, I beware of their Screech, a wild booze (Rum I believe) stationed at TORBAY in early to mid 50s. Newfoundland was a wonderful experience for a young man growing up. LP

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I feel like it wasn’t finished. It should have a better ending.

Wolfgang1955Wolfgang1955over 2 years ago

Getting hard to finish this story. What a pussy

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Boring chapter. But i will say the chapter is about a man who was betrayed from all those closest to him and his depression from it, and I personally cant relate to that, so that might be why I dislike it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

If I want to read music lyrics I will google that shit. Here I want a good read not some 300 lines of lyrics...

dgfergiedgfergiealmost 3 years ago

Those who find this story boring have probably never felt the loss when a wife rips your family apart. She says: "You take the kids, I want to go out and fuck around awhile, then I'll be back." True story folks, I can feel his pain. Good writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Re: Ar Éirinn ní neosfainn cé hí

I was curious about the song Janie was said to have sung, that was so hauntingly beautiful. To my delight I found that it is real, and I listened to a version sung by Maria McCool which is available on both YouTube and Spotify. It was gorgeous and stunning. I am not Irish, know no Gaelic, and have listened to only a smattering of Irish music, mostly at pubs, so I wouldn’t likely have stumbled on this by myself. Thank you.

LWE

MarkT63MarkT63over 3 years ago

Too many song lyrics for my taste. Hope Honor doesn't return to be a CUCK!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
i loved the first

parts of the story ... but got so bored with songs. bla bla bla.

dgfergiedgfergiealmost 4 years ago
It's about pain and loss

Pain and loss, a hole so deep it can never be filled..............

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
And the reason for this chapter was......

......fucked if I know, way to much singing, totally bored and lost the will to live, just don't care about this character anymore - not interested in where this is going, given up

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
I really don't understand this story

It's all over the place.

Artie88Artie88about 4 years ago
Gotta say it too, WTF!!???

A serious detour into WTF land.

Why is this chapter included? It doesn't seem to add anything of substance to the story.

At best it dangles Jane as an alternative future that will both his and her loss since we all know that he will do the right thing in the end.

WHY?????

A serious loss of interest and rating for this CRAP

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
WTF?

This is a terrific story, but why did you make your hero into such a whiny pussy? It would have been just as good, if not better, if he showed a little backbone.

MarkT63MarkT63about 4 years ago
Too much...

I really enjoy the series. This episode had too much singing,not enough story.

Grimjack01Grimjack01over 4 years ago
Unbelievable

Wow, just wow powerful.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
He is pilloried for this:

"my entire life revolving around my work and my wife"

Both his wife and his work deserts him because he was trying to do his best.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Issues

Honor's relationship with relatives is creepy. First with his mom, then with his second cousin.

What Honor did (next to nothing) with the "squeezable" regarding Janie is nothing even close to what his wife did to him. Calling himself an ass and thinking he is the same is utterly ridiculous. He has known Janie for maybe a few days at the most. Sure she says he is the one, but that is nothing compared to the feelings that develop over 20+ years. And she is his second cousin. Ewwwwe!

Finally Beth seems to be an idiots for someone so smart. Honor seems to be someone who has no self esteem. People like him are destined to a miserable life. Im not into the BTB thing, but surely he needs to move on. What he did to the town and family was completely appropriate. A successful marriage is not one sided. Clearly Beth doesn't love him and the RAAC is going to make him miserable in the end.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Please ignore the whiners.

I think your story is great.well written and the people are real.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Relationship?

If Janie's grandfather is the uncle of Honor's father, wouldn't that mean that Janie and Honor are second cousins, once removed? Seems kind of close to be trying to get together, or have other relatives trying to get then together.

A little too much on the touring and song lyrics for my taste, but I can see the importance for the story.

Beth still seems to be selfish and deep down unconcerned with her actions affecting Honor (keeping the furniture). Honor's mother is still selfish. And it seems that Honor is getting that way.

Hopefully there is progress on why Beth did it, because so far her reasons make no sense, especially once she started doing the 2 cousins.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
This was ridiculous!

If you are going to sit around and write lyrics of songs fine but please don't claim it's a story and submit it because it's extremely boring.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 7 years ago
Re-Reading

First, I want to repeat my use of the song lyrics. Unlike JPB's Landing Strip jokes, which as much as I enjoy them, have NOTHING to do with the story, the lyrics serve to express Honor's emotions..

@Kimi, no Cars?! They may not be my FAVORITE Boston band (J. Geils and/or Aerosmith depending on my mood!) but the cars are great!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Verging on literature!!

Thank you so much for this chapter. Real people are complicated. Real people have warts. Real people struggle to understand themselves. Stay true to Honor's journey.

cabbage01132cabbage01132almost 7 years ago
kin ell? boring chapter

waste of a chapter writing in dialect leaves half your readers not know what the fuck your on about.

if a was ter write in ma dialect thad norav a clue woraz on abart, now would tha sither.

rightbankrightbankabout 7 years ago
Interesting travelogue

Could be a PBS documentary or a AAA TripTic

Ib_SaysIb_Saysabout 7 years ago

His marriage is ruined, no reason for him to not get with other women, he deserves to get laid, Janie is just mad that if wasn't her he was partying with despite it being her own fault, comparing him to the slut wife is harsh.

Crazy jaelous chick

Sigh... Heading towards RAAC apparently.

driv2u2driv2u2about 7 years ago
Skip

Skipped over much of this , too much hillbilly talk and family , and I'm not really intrested in all the lyrics to different songs .

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333about 7 years ago
Loving it

Still five stars. I get the complaints about the lyrics, but not about this chapter being a deviation from the main plot. Seems clear to me. He finds a new love and a new, more loyal family. I'm guessing he opens shop in Newfoundland and gives all his relatives employment. I'm also guessing he gets closure on Beth when he returns to find she is still cheating.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
WHAT A WASTE

Did you loose your mind! Monkey generated gibberish!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Don't bother

The whole chapter was just a side step away from losing the main story.A fill in if you will. Could have left it out. It would be great as is if you would have finished the damn thing but it left us no where in relation to the main story so now we have an empty pit..Get on with it lest we forget the Story.There are so many here that by the time you write again, it may be lost to us through time.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Is That All?

FTDS.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
great

Great story , truly a 5+ , that is unless this is the end. If this is the end you should have never started it!!!! To many great stories out there with NO ENDING, 5+ or 1 the ending will reveal the true score!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Hope there is a proper finish

I like your writing, a little to many song lyrics for me. Hope this has a proper ending

AxelottoAxelottoabout 7 years ago
Waiting eagerly for more

I know the lyrics fit the story, but I always end up scrolling by hoping for more meat on the bones.

I want the protagonist to get over the cheaty bastards and come home to Newfoundland already... Burn the whole backstabbing town again, if for no other reason than their blaming their own choice (the cheating wife) for his departure, the hypocritical bar stewards...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Well

Is it done? Only three chapters or more to follow?

BlazedadBlazedadabout 7 years ago
Getting better....

Definitely getting better Sir. Thank you for sharing​.

dirksterdirksterabout 7 years ago
Good so far

But the travelogue and the song lyrics are just filler. The last two submissions are. at most, one or two page editions. Please stick to the plot.

extemporeextemporeabout 7 years ago
Wallowing in his misery . . .

while doing a travelogue. I'm usually a big fan of TTT, but not this one. The actual writing is fine. But, having gone through my own depression after my divorce (though no cheating was involved), I have no need to go through anyone else's suffering ad nauseum.

One reason for having counselors for your emotional problems is to keep from belaboring and boring your friends far beyond the point that any friend should be asked to endure.

IMHO that should apply to short stories as well, even on a free site

zafusitterzafusitterabout 7 years ago
True Romance

My Motherl, who was addicted to Romance Novels, would blush lovingly at this. This is a well written Romance Novel. It 10% loving wife and 90% Romance.

Viewed in the context of a Romance Novel this is great stuff.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
@Anonymous 03/24/17 Re: Repeat betrayal"

No, I don't think we're being set up for a repeat betrayal. If he does go to Newfoundland, those people would NEVER betray him or hide betrayal from him!

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
@ken philips Re: "Extremely Frustrating Series To Date"

I'm sorry that you think that's "self-centered" to think that your family, the town and business that you have dedicated your life's energy too, and you ever loving WIFE would have your back!

Is he flawed, a little "holier than thou?" Yes. Does that mean he should placidly submit to being shat upon and fucked over? No. Fucking. Way!

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
@Anonymous 03/23/2017 Re: "He has to go home"

I don't see how "living up to his name" means going back to that nest of vipers and his cheating slut of a wife!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Let's have a strong, powerful ending.

Ignore the negativity placed forth by others. I find this to be a strong powerful story. I'm trying to anticipate how you will end this and what direction it will take. There are so many avenues available to you. I'm sure it will be amazing. I have always enjoyed your writing and look forward to the conclusion of this great story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Good ending

So the idiot dies. Good, now I can move on to other stories. The last 2 chapters dragged on and I ended up skimming. He seems more like a pussy than a man. Just do what you have to to end your own pain. What he did was adding to it. SMH 1/5

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 7 years ago
I was thinking about this story and

it occurred to me that the title was a stroke of brilliance by itself. It would be a great title for a movie or a country/western song. Triple T has the skills!

victoria2victoria2about 7 years ago
please end this

you are i guess a pretty good writer. however on this venue you have spent nine pages of wandering and roaming without a purpose. who gives a shit about his kin folks in canada. i for one want to see what this dillusional jack ass is going to do about his wife. either divorce the bitch and move on or go back and fix the problem. i know expecting honesty is paramount. i feel the same way, but i also know people who know you out of instinct try to shield you from problems if they can. he needs to pull his head out of his ass and get in the real world. the woman who told him nobody liked him but were all afraid of him was right. get a grip and end this.

ChuckEPooChuckEPooabout 7 years ago
What the fuck

Is this some Sopranos ending? I'm pissed, what kind of ending was this??? I wasted hours of my life reading this... for what? The scene turns red? Pissed... reality pissed.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
AMAZING

I love a story that brings all my emotions into play. You are an amazing writer TTT. Can't wait to read it through to the end.

THANK YOU, truely

lonelypappalonelypappaabout 7 years ago
WOW.........AGAIN A GREAT STORY

DAM HERE WE GO AGAIN A GREAT STORY........ANOTHER 5 FROM ME

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
More!

Gotta keep going, TTT!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
5 Stars! We need “A Town Without Honor Ch. 04

5 Stars! We need “A Town Without Honor Ch. 04…” What happens to Honor? Die wake-up in a hospital or is it just a mild concussion? Beth and/or the children? Janie? Do they develop a relationship? Who ends up with the kids? What happens to the company & town that turned their backs on him? With his new patents does he reduce the unemployment rate in his relatives’ city? Is he setting himself up for a repeat betrayal?

GioSoloGioSoloabout 7 years ago
Could you help your fans?

Maybe post the on your profile the stories that you have dropped. Like 'A Blackmail Tale' and 'It Was Only a Blowjob'.

StormKing33StormKing33about 7 years ago
3* A collapsing story

You took a strong husband character and turned him into a pathetic crying wimp who is on an extended pity party singing whiny songs. Shame!

xxxDaveFreemanxxxDaveFreemanabout 7 years ago
DEAD

He later died of the head wound. The company folded up with out Honor to run it and the town be came a ghost town when everyone moved away to find work. BB became a call girl and makes pretty good money. THE END

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Great But...

You have evolved into a really very good writer with very descriptive form. I really like this story but it borders on being a shaggy dog story. A bit too much of his travels and not all the pieces connect well with his marital issues.

By the way, it's long journey from Texas to Newfoundland but you've done it quite well. Continue on but you should be near the end, if for nobody else but the children's sake. As a father, that should always be a top priority regardless, especially when they are so young.

Think a bit more about them.

Tiny Tim

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Four stars

The story about their lives has been told and retold and retold. We get it Please move on. Hopefully, not back to Beth. If her love was so strong , she NEVER would have done what she did. There is NO excuse.

ken philipsken philipsabout 7 years ago
Extremely Frustrating Series To Date

As always you write so well. The characters come alive and full of colour. The BIG problem is the central character all american hero who he thinks / story makes out whole town relies upon is a self centred, holier than thou, uncompromising flawed individual who everyone - incl wife, mum & family -actually fear and hate. With good reason. the stunt he pulled with giving the company to the admittedly equally flawed wife Beth ( who lets face it ran out of patience with his workaholic ways) with no patent and few customers was just plain evil. as was the car fire bombings. unless you are setting this up for both parties to see the light, this is actually just a v well written but nevertheless v nasty btb story. Ken

fireman527fireman527about 7 years ago
Looking forward to your next chapter

I am not a critic - I read what moves me and after the first installment was hooke. Please continue on as I have had a few thiughts as to where yiu are going with this and I would like to seeif any of them are on the same trax as yours.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
?

....... and so.........................??????

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
He needs to go home....

I'm sorry but you can't just turn it off, flick a switch & not love the woman you've loved almost your entire life. Look, I'm not saying what she did was ok, it wasn't. And I've never cheated on my husband or ex-husband or any boyfriends but I HAVE been cheated ON....my ex-husband had a 3 month long affair, while I was pregnant, with his temp secretary (ironically, she was temping because his actual secretary was also pregnant & on bedrest). Shit, I swear....nothing, absolutely nothing hurts worse than being cheated on. I was hospitalized twice because I couldn't eat or sleep so I started losing weight instead of gaining, which is very bad when pregnant. I just couldn't get any food past the lump in my throat. So, I'm not in any way rooting for the cheater but I am rooting for the family....and by family I mean Honor, the two kids, and yes, Beth. Sometimes it's ok to forgive. It is. I'm hoping the moral of this story will be Honor living up to his name. Honor is a black & white kind of man, he doesn't see the world in any other colors BUT black & white. This is also HIS wake up call. And, by the way, two wrongs don't make a right. Honor won't cheat or do anything with Janie, he's just not that kind of man.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Sorry to disagree with a bunch of you

But this chapter is very important to the overall story. From where I sit I see a lot of his previously unknown relatives he needs to get to know a lot better than the bunch he left back in the cesspool of a town he used to call home. To learn about these people helps him learn about himself. I'm anxiously waiting for the rest of the story. This has the possibility of being one of the best. Thanks for this story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Good overall story - this was a weak chapter

Simply too much singing and too much whining. The constant singing got to be annoying. Please move on and finish this up - one way or the other. I can see him moving here, starting a new business, employing this set of family and friends, marrying Jane and having kids. A chance to start over. What more could a man want?

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
@Anonymous 03/23/2017 Re: "B'ye"

I'm certainly no expert, but I think it means "be you", a sort of reverse "you are."

For example: "You was some shockin' good on the guitar, b'ye."

"You were really good on the guitar, you were." I know different tense, but I believe that is the correct usage.

overthehillmedicoverthehillmedicabout 7 years ago
Love the story

But it is time to go home and due the inevitable get visitation , bring the kids home, explain to the kids that they will be at his home (babysit) when your mother is working. He has distanced himself so far from the kids, if that does not work move away. It is time!

WiserbyageWiserbyageabout 7 years ago
END IT!!!

Feeling sorry for yourself only goes so far. Confront your problem, get help, and move on. Story is getting slow.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Wheels are getting wobbly

They are starting to come off . Get this guy's head straight . Man up . Get him to confront his shit !

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Take it slow.

I like the pace of this story.

I don't understand why some people are eager to finish it up.

Please keep writing.

sanser6

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
A nice chapter but...

What happened with the kids? Did he forget about them? He can't get a Skype connection and that's it? Otherwise a fine story. I found the whole Honor's songbook distracting, even when most of the lyrics were related, but there were one too many. It seems he's at a crossroad right now, he can move on or head back. Let's pray he (and ther writer) chose wisely.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Welcome back

As I said in an email to you earlier - I enjoy your writing - I'm not going to go through the comments and high 5 the positives and wonder where the negatives get their viewpoint from - I'm just going to ask you keep writing and posting.

Thanks

Cliquegge

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
I liked it

There are a lot of armchair quarterbacks leaving ill comsidered comments,most of which are inane, about your story. I think I'll stop looking at the comments and just wait on the rest of the tale.

DarkPulseDarkPulseabout 7 years ago
Well I see ya know some newf by ya, bud

Where ya to to know how teh newfs be spittin 'er words at ya by? Lotta time I spent by one on the coast long with buddies from the breton isle.

While I didn't like the cramming of lyrics and how it all dragged on a bit, at least you got the idea of how the newfoundlander speak right. If anyone has trouble talking with them, don't feel bad. I had to work with one for months and only got half of what he said. Throw two of them together and forget about it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
B'ye B'ye

What the fck does "B'ye" mean? What did I miss?

Anyway, I was going a bit negative on this, but the Newfie stuff is actually quite beautifully written.

For me he's a bit too feminine, though. All of this wailing and breast beating. One realizes that this is an entire lifetime of upset in just a few weeks for him. But he's just too soft and idealistic and tender. Sure hope he's still got a hard dick after all of this.

While yer gettin' all cultural on us you might as well do a big food chapter now, too. What do all of these badass toughies up there eat?

If I were him I'd chew on that ginger gal all night.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Already

Stretched it out one and half installments too many ,just shoot it and put it out of its misery

Rod_WalkerRod_Walkerabout 7 years ago

Jacob Marley wore the chains.

WyldcardWyldcardabout 7 years ago

@njlauren, I don't find this chapter to be filler, but I found the consistent presence of extended lyrics to be detractive/filler. I agree the chapter fills an important part of his journey, reconnecting to his heritage and extended family on his father's side, recognizing a need for balance in life between work and community, etc.

And I want to be clear, this is all minor and hopefully positive critiques. TTT mentioned these chapters aren't edited by a 3rd party. I'm enjoying the story, but generally I wouldn't see the need to include full verses from a dozen different songs in a single chapter. You can convey the same by perhaps doing it once and then simply listing the songs or providing a single line or two for other songs. This is particularly true when the songs are predominantly top 40 songs from their time. We all know the lyrics, so only really need to evoke the key lines and mood. It would be different if the songs were less well known, or if only one or two songs were being 'quoted'.

As a side note TTT, most of my time in Halifax, Newfoundland and the environs around there, much of the music played was local bands with strong Irish influences. There was a very definite maritime, irish/folk rock bias. Curious if your experience there was different, since I didn't find people sitting around playing pop rock songs amongst themselves. Music itself though was definitely at the heart of things there... that and the screech you mentioned :)

njlaurennjlaurenabout 7 years ago
Not bad

I disagree this is filler, I think that honor is finally grieving,both for his dad and for what happened and is starting to actually feel like a living,breathing person not someone created to do the right thing and be honorable, to hell with his humanity. He is with people who don't have a lot but are grateful for what Honor brings,not his money, but himself, his willingness to share of himself. This is in contrast to his life at home where he was expected to give to others everything but himself,where family saw him as the giving tree rather than someone to be cherished as himself. I think Jane is right about Beth,that her actions made no sense, and you wonder if she too saw honor as this birthright of hers, she saw him as this god on a pedestal and resented it and the cheating was her way of trying to get back at him.

I think with the family in newfoundland for the first time in his life he is finding good people he will want to help, rather than feeling obligated as he was growing up.His father taught him responsibility but fucked up in not teaching him that being responsible also means being responsible to yourself,too, because without that you becone a martyr rather than a person. I don't know if honor will end up in NF, or if he will take the lessons learned there and find a way back to the other place that wasn't really homem whether Jane will be his or Beth.

The only hope I have it that tttt doesn't have honor go to nf and leave everything else off to a slut wife and dishonorable people,that would be cheese central to please the btb ,all women are slots crowd, hopefully honor will find oive and peace and genuine honor rather than expectations, and we will find out why Beth could do what she did and the rest of the town realize how scummy they were.His mom especially comes off as the welfare recipient ungrateful for what they are getting ,and a self serving bitch who put an unfair burden on him so she could go limp after dad died.

I give this a 4,especially for the Robert Service poem,that was a classy touch,probably wasted on some of the boneheads on here.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago

This could go multiple ways, but I have a way I think it will go. I think the town will end up without Honor and a new place that understands "honor" will get a new resident and much-needed business.

I don't know what that does for his current kids.

Excellent story. It has transformed legends day into legends week!

justbobkcjustbobkcabout 7 years ago
A really interesting story addressing some subtle

or not so subtle cliches.

The main one here I'm getting is the WASP/Puritan "work ethic" vs. the just "good times/enjoy life" sub-cultures - that at it's ugliest devolves to racial stereotypes - from Irish "no goods" (by the original British White Anglo Saxon Protestant superiorists) to "childlike Darkies" to laid back Caribbean Islanders to even Cajuns.

But it really IS one of those pesky human Catch-22's - someone HAS to be the adult and responsible hard worker boss - and ultimately viewed as "not likeable" by many. Especially if they actually succeed and become rich.

I am not opposed to reconciliation stories but not "at any costs" - and I am wondering how this excellent tale will end up.

I've also spent time in the folk music and dance sub-culture. In my case Appalachian clog dancing and "Old Time" music, almost always based on the simpler Celtic reels like "Red Haired Boy" and "Sail Away Ladies". I played a fiddle myself in just one for fun band - never approaching pro status - but I did get a few lessons from Bruce Molski once. So I am enjoying you reminding me of many of my own fine memories.

Carry on, please - and thanks very much.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Enjoying it

Great story. Waiting anxiously for the next installment.

SkyKing7SkyKing7about 7 years ago
Right thing for who?

Everybody in Honor's life puts him on a pedestal. He just HAS to do the right thing no matter what. After all, everyone depends on him. Like a deity, he must forgive them their mere mortal transgressions. Those that depend on him began to feel entitled and selfish. BB didn't love him, she worshipped him. But like many believers that seem to radiate love in in the sanctuary, she can readily give into temptation left to her own devices. She doesn't know she married a person that needs her to be just as strong for him. I hope she grows to be strong instead of succumbing to her weakness because those kids depend on her more than she did on Honor.

As far as the traveling to find himself, give him a break. He will not abandon his kids much longer. Maybe he put himself on a pedestal, too. Once knocked off, he can learn how to be a real man, scars and all. I think he will open a factory up North with people that accept him for who he is, not just what he can give them.

I really like the songs. They speak to me.

SK7

try1justforfuntry1justforfunabout 7 years ago
Still enjoying it very much.

I like how you created events to change Honor, and you didn't make it trivial. I like how you built it up, generally.

I did find that you spoke rather quietly and vaguely about his interactions with Shannon, and that made the end a bit more disjointed for me. I think if Shannon had been a bit louder of a character, it would have been easier to understand what happened on the last page at the first go. I first, I found myself asking why Janie was so sad, as the Shannon events were very small, and Janie wasn't necessarily around for them.

Thanks for writing the stories that have characters evolving and being more three dimensional. The Man="Smart, Loyal, Handsome, Soon to be Rich,Navy Seal with new wife" and woman="Stupid Slut who was once hot but will become ugly by the end" stories don't leave you much room to guess.

I look forward to the next chapter, and thank you for creating.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
Songs

I'm going to repeat myself a bit here.

Unlike the travelogue in ch 2 that didn't really advance the story, the songs here served to express Honor's emotional state. With all due respect to FD45's tin ear, it's the words that matter, not the music!

HB4DBHB4DBabout 7 years ago
Like it!

I continue to enjoy this novella. Personally I like character development and the author is doing a fine job of it. I liked the Newfie naratives. So much of what Honor is currently is a result of his own personal childhood trauma. I felt from the first that he would need to reconcile with the passing of his father and the burden of responsibility he assumed. I have a feeling that acquainting himself with his father's family may play a role in reconciling with his mother's family. I say to the author, you're doing a really good job. keep the chapters rolling continuing to add to the depth of the characters and storyline. Anything less would only cheapen your efforts to date.

EllenBerryhillEllenBerryhillabout 7 years ago
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!

Eyes watering from laughing so hard at comments and story both, although I admit I had to skim through the story (rather than actually reading it) looking for what the good comments had found in it. Two words in one comment said all that's needed: "self indulgent."

BalddudesrockBalddudesrockabout 7 years ago
All the naysayers and doubters, are we even...

...reading the same story? I thought it was plain as day what was going on, where this fit in the overall story, and where TTT was going with this chapter. This is the part of the movie where the protagonist gets drunk, to try to numb the pain, and then truly begins healing. Now, he will be ready to move on, not completely healed, but getting there. He'll start getting his groove back, and taking care of things he's neglected. The author said himself, in a comment on a previous chapter, that all his characters have flaws. I think Honor needed this, to be ready to face his. Great chapter. Let those who can't see past the surface go back to their coloring books.

nonethewisernonethewiserabout 7 years ago
Isn't Jane young for honor?

He's 33, she's college aged. If you use the "half your age plus 7" rule, anybody under 23 ½ is suspect. So it's close. But it strikes me as not consistent with Honors character. But, this story is great. The fact that my one gripe is about math tells you it's great. Thanks so much, TTT! This well told tale with interesting characters and (what seems to be) a hidden plot driver makes me want to read more of it. That's all I can ask for.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Newfies .....

Canada's answer to inbred American hillbillies. I count many of your stories are exceptional favorites but this will never be read again.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTx Tall Tales@Tx Tall Tales
The only thing constant is change. A new State, a new City, a new Job, and new Stories (coming soon).

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

SIMILAR Stories