A Treacherous Earthquake

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Tell me what you want, I'm ready."

"I'm going back to Juárez because I got a job offer. I'm leaving next week, and I'll be back in about 10 days. Then I will return, and I'll pack up all my stuff and I'm not coming back. I hope to rebuild my life there."

He paused and continued.

"You can stay here with my mother for as long as you want, we will continue to support you financially."

The 50 meters left to finish the race felt, as always, absolutely distressing. Mireya inhaled hard again and managed to say.

"Aren't we going to divorce?"

"It will not be necessary. The civil registry where we got married was damaged with a fire on the day of the earthquake. No records remained and there were no endorsements. Legally you and I are single. Singles do not divorce."

Mireya was exhausted, she thought she was going to collapse before the finish line. One last breath allowed him to say.

"Okay, I wish you the best. I am so grateful to you and your family for all they have done for me. I hope that one day you will take the poison out of your soul and forgive me. Leave me alone please."

Unexpectedly shaken by Mireya's response, Gerardo left the room.

In a hurry, he left home and let go of his tears. He walked off in any direction. He didn't imagine it would affect him so much. The earthquake that caused Mireya was being overturned; but there was no way back, the decision was made. Rebeca's picture came to his aid: either it was her, or it was Mireya. There were no options in between.

From her room, Refugio noticed that something serious was happening. She went out and knocked lightly on the door of Mireya's room. She carefully opened it and entered. Mireya was curled up on her bed. She imagined what happened, and she preferred to withdraw. Tomorrow she would talk to both of them.

After walking a couple of kilometers, Gerardo saw a public telephone and decided to call Jorge.

"Hi Gerard, what's up?"

"Sorry for the time bro, I need to talk to you. Get yourself a tequila, I'm on my way."

"Well, here I wait for you."

Half an hour later he arrived at Gerardo's office. After a couple of tequilas, he told him everything, including Rebeca dating.

"It seemed rather strange to me that you went so often with Lety; now I understand. It makes me feel very sorry for Mireya, I really appreciate her. I thought you were on the way to reconcilement. But, you know, a nail pulls out another nail. That's life".

Jorge added.

"What I am going to ask you is that if you are going to leave, you help me find your replacement. I don't know someone who can fill your position, but maybe you do know someone."

"I don't have in mind who can serve us, but I'm going to find out and inform you. For now, I'm going to spend the night here. We'll see what to do tomorrow."

Three more tequilas and they went to bed.

The next day in the afternoon, when he returned home, Gerardo found his mother with a disapproving face, like when he was a child, and they did some mischief. Mireya was still in her room without having gone out or eaten anything since the day before.

Her mother asked him to come to her room to talk.

"Gerardo, you know I don't like to get into your life or anyone else's. But this time I'm going to ask you to listen to me."

"First tell me what Mireya told you." Replied Gerardo.

"The same thing you told me. That you are going to go to Ciudad Juárez and that their separation is final. That neither divorce will be necessary."

"All right, I hear you."

"I am certain that Mireya loves you. I do not justify her mistakes, but I know, and you also know, that Mireya is a worthwhile person. I had never seen a human being so feisty, so optimistic and so generous. She has borne her disgrace and all your contempt, and she didn't give up. It's not fair that you want to throw it away like a dirty rag. That's not fair. The past is past. You must learn to forgive, Gerardo."

She barely finished and Gerardo exclaimed:

"So generous that she didn't hesitate to open her legs to another bastard! I will never forget that; I just can't. Call me what you want, but I can't forgive her."

And he continued.

"Put yourself in my place. If my father had cheated on you, would you have forgiven him? And I understand that women can forgive because you are used to it, and that is how woman have been taught. For a man it is much more difficult."

Doña Refugio was silent, but then she asked.

"Is there another woman?"

"Yes, there is, but that's another matter."

"And do you love her?

"Yes, I'm in love with her."

Thoughtful, Doña Refugio managed to mutter.

"Defeated battle."

Gerardo went to sleep late hoping that Mireya was already asleep. Without making a sound, he undressed and went to bed. He couldn't fall asleep until late at night and he didn't hear the slightest sound from Mireya's bed. When he woke up, he got up, changed and slipped out.

He left home in search of a phone booth. Three blocks ahead was the closest. He dialed the phone number of the Lety's greengrocer, where he hoped to find Rebeca. After three rings he listened.

"Hello, good day."

"Rebeca, it's me, Gerardo."

Startled, Rebecca answered.

"Something wrong, Gerardo?"

"Nothing bad, but I need to meet with you as soon as possible.

"Today if it is very important, but preferably until tomorrow afternoon."

"Today, where can we meet?"

"In Las Abejas, at the usual time."

"Done, see you there."

Gerardo did not return home; he went directly to Jorge's office to finish various matters. Hours later he was in front of the Las Abejas hotel waiting for Rebeca. Thirty minutes after 4, Rebeca arrived in a bit of a hurry.

"Excuse me, I couldn't leave earlier. What's going on?"

"I need to update you on some things. Let's go in and I'll talk to you."

Once inside the hotel room, Gerardo said.

Sit down and listen to what I am going to tell you.

"I live in my mother's house with Mireya, my wife. The earthquake demolished our apartment and there was nothing left, we lost everything. It also ended our marriage decisively. One day I'll tell you the details. Our plans were to move to Ciudad Juárez where I had good job opportunities, but that also fell apart. That's why I started working with my brother Jorge in order to raise some money and try to put my life back together. My objective was to get a divorce leaving Mireya some money. With the earthquake she suffered serious injuries that disabled her, to a certain extent. That's why I couldn't leave her.

Gerardo paused waiting for a question.

"What happened to your wife?"

"She lost a leg."

Stunned, Rebeca could not find what to say.

"And how is she now?"

"She is in the rehabilitation process; I bought her a prosthesis, and she is much better."

And Gerardo continued.

"Either way, our marriage was over. When I was going to start the divorce proceedings, the lawyer asked me for a marriage certificate. Obviously, we didn't have any. Everything was lost, we lived in the Nuevo León building."

Another long pause and Rebeca no longer wanted to say anything. She was almost in shock.

"The lawyer told me that the Civil Registry office where I had gotten married had burned down during the earthquake and no record had been left, everything was consumed by the blazes. Therefore, I could not get a divorce, I am legally single, and Mireya too, of course."

"Are you telling me that you are already free?"

"That's right."

"And Mireya accepted it?"

"Yes, she had no other choice."

Mixed feelings short-circuited Rebeca's head. It was impossible for him not to feel sympathy for Mireya.

"I don't understand why you want to leave your wife, or concubine, whatever you want to call her. Does it have to do with her disability?"

"Of course not! I am not heartless. It is for another reason."

"I'd like to know it."

"The bitch betrayed me, and I couldn't forgive her for that. And don't ask me any more about this, I don't think you need details."

If Rebeca was perplexed, now she was entering a state like hypnosis. She couldn't say anything anymore. After long minutes she finally expressed herself.

"I think we should go, there have been too many emotions for one day."

"I'm not done yet"

"It can't be! Is there something else?"

"Yes, but it's good news. A good job offer came up in Ciudad Juárez and I'm going to see it in a couple of days. If it suits me, and everything seems that it will, I will accept the job. I don't think to stay and live in this city. No more"

Shocked, Rebeca could barely exclaim.

"And...?"

"Once I settle in a suitable place, I'll come back for you, and we'll get married there."

Rebeca came out of her hypnosis. She couldn't say anything, she just threw herself into Gerardo's arms.

Crying, Rebeca managed to say.

"I don't want to stay in this city either; at times I think I hate it."

"If it weren't for this city and its misfortunes, we wouldn't have met. That's how it has always been. This city hits us, and then hugs us."

Exhausted by feelings, they left the hotel, arms around each other. They took a taxi to the greengrocer. On the way, Gerardo remembered Jorge's request.

"Rebeca, now that I'm gone, Jorge is going to need someone to replace me. The problem is that he doesn't have trustworthy people who can replace me. Do you know any potential candidates?"

"What requirements should it have?"

"Preferably handle the basics of accounting and administration. The rest is dealing with suppliers and customers. It sounds easy, but it is not. Not all clients are like you and Lety."

"I think I have a possible candidate for you. But he is not young."

"There are no age requirements. Who is it about?"

"My uncle Sebastian, my mother's brother. He is unemployed since the earthquake. He worked in a company that made clothing. The company went bankrupt as a result of the earthquake. He knows sales and accounting; he also understands computers, inventory control and stuff. He is almost 50 years old."

"That seems fine to me. When can I meet him?"

"Now that I get home, I'm going to tell my mother everything, there's nothing to hide. I'll take the opportunity to tell her about the possible job for my uncle and for her to contact him. It will be quick, I'll let you know."

"I'm fine with you telling your mother all about us. You can tell him that I'm divorced, but I wouldn't want you to talk to him about the details of my marriage, or about Mireya's misfortune."

"Don't worry, it won't be needed."

For the first time they left Las Abejas without tasting the honeys of sex. Cascading events required quick responses. After accompanying Rebeca to her house, Gerardo went to his brother's office. He brought him up to date on developments and told him about a possible replacement for him.

After listening to him, Jorge told him.

"¡Excellent! When will we meet up?

"Rebeca agreed to talk to me; then I'll let you know to arrange an interview."

Back home, Gerardo avoided being alone with Mireya. He didn't want any more scenes that would only put more salt on the wounds. Mireya didn't want to hear from Gerardo either, everything was clear, so she went to bed early.

The next day, at the office, Gerardo received a call from Rebeca notifying him of her uncle's interest in filling his position. They agreed to meet Sebastian that same day in the afternoon, at the greengrocer.

Uncle Sebastian appeared to be about 60 years old, although he was only 48. He was dressed in modest form, and his face reflected a lot of anxiety. After 15 minutes talk, Gerardo had no doubt that he was the right person. Among other things, he liked the fact that he had three years of experience running PCs, a novelty at the time. They agreed to meet the next day, in Jorge's office, so that he could meet him. When they said goodbye, Sebastián had a different countenance.

A day later, in Jorge's office, Gerardo told him his impressions about Sebastián.

"Well, if you give him the go-ahead, I have no problem with him staying. And if you can, I would like you to start training him from today."

When Sebastian arrived, Gerardo took him into the office and introduced him to Jorge. They talked for half an hour, mainly explaining the functions that he would have to carry out. Sebastián was always interested. Unexpectedly, Jorge asks him.

"And what do you currently do?"

That was a question that Rebeca's uncle didn't want to hear. After a few eternal seconds he answered.

"Mason work."

Surprised, Jorge exclaimed.

"Sorry?"

"Yes, bricklayer. Since I lost my job in the earthquake, I haven't been able to find a job doing what I know how to do. The work that abounds most today is debris removal and refurbishing houses."

Touched, Jorge blurted out.

"Well, that's over Sebastián, you are hired. If you have no problem, today we start with your training by Gerardo. I can even give you an advance if you like."

Amazed, Sebastian could hardly say.

"You don't know how I'd appreciate it, I'm heavily indebted. Of course, I'm at your disposal to start right now."

Gerardo invited Sebastián to eat at a nearby inn. There, he explained more details about suppliers and customers. Later they returned to the offices to show him all the paperwork related to the administration and accounting of the business.

That night, at the end, Sebastián told him.

"At some point I'm going to put all this on a computer. It is a matter you decide to buy one, it is worth it. The future is sailing in this way."

When they said goodbye, Gerardo knew that the business was in good hands. They would meet again the next day, though since there wasn't much left to teach him.

Three days later, in a room at Las Abejas, after having fucked frantically, Gerardo confirmed to Rebeca that in two more days he would leave for Ciudad Juárez and that he would return in about 10 days.

Rebecca asked.

"How are they at home?"

"The environment looks like a funeral home. My mother was disturbed by my decision."

"Does she know about us?"

"Not exactly, but she does know that I'm with someone."

"And surely she already told your ex."

"I don't think so. I don't think she wants to finish her down."

Gerard continued.

"I want you to be ready because there's a good chance that when I get back, I can take you with me. Go telling your mother to find someone to replace you. But if you prefer, I can wait and come back for you another time."

"If I could, I would go with you today. All the time I'm thinking about you. I need to be with you 24 hours a day."

Those words turned Gerardo on again. He placed Rebeca in 4 points and fucked her for the fourth time. After pumping for 15 minutes and with three orgasms from Rebeca, Gerardo exploded with the last drops he had left.

Exhausted, they remained embracing without saying anything. Half an hour later they left Las Abejas.

They went by taxi to Rebeca's home, arriving late in the evening.

"Rebeca, I think we're not going to see each other until I get back from Juarez. I have scheduled to leave the day after tomorrow and I have pending to fix."

"Are you going to call me to confirm if you're leaving?"

"Of course. And don't worry, everything will be fine."

Two days later, at home, Gerardo finished packing his two suitcases under the furtive and sad gaze of whoever was the love of his life. When it was time to leave, Gerardo brought his suitcases to the door and turned his eyes towards the dining room where, seated, Mireya and his mother watched him in silence. Throat dry, he managed to say.

"See you in about ten days."

Her mother answered.

"Take care, good luck."

Mireya could barely say.

"Goodbye Gerardo, thanks for everything."

When he boarded the taxi, a deep sadness invaded him. He had a hunch that he would never see Mireya again. He didn't understand his sadness, he was supposed to be over that. He opened the cab window for extra oxygen to relax. Finally, the image of Rebeca came to his aid, bringing him a little calm.

When he arrived in Ciudad Juárez 24 hours later, his mood had recovered. He went to Ricardo's house, who was already waiting for him. They greeted each other in a very emotional way, Ricardo understood the nightmare that his friend had lived in recent months but that he did not know many details, nor about his relationship with Rebeca.

"What is your plan, Gerardo?"

"Tomorrow I'll show up at the company you suggested"

"Pacific Industrial Building, or PIB, as it is also known."

"Yes, that is."

"I can give you a ride when I go to work, I wouldn't go too far. How do you plan to go dressed?

"Casual. Or do you think I need a suit and tie?

"On the contrary, here I think the most convenient thing is the casual."

The next day, Gerardo showed up at the PIB Human Resources offices. They were in one of the main industrial corridors of the city. Relaxed, he waited to be attended to. They gave him a form to fill out his application. Fifteen minutes later he was transferred to an interview with a plant engineer, to whom he explained in detail his experience and professional interests. After 20 minutes, they passed him to a lady who would evaluate his command of the English language. They didn't need more than 10 minutes to get the go-ahead.

Finally, at the reception they told him that in a couple of days they would give him the result of his request. He gave them Ricardo's home phone number as he asked them for a number to call in case of any problems.

He left happy and relaxed, although without letting his guard down. He bought a newspaper and went to Ricardo's house. The first thing he did was phone his mother to report. Strangely, his mom didn't answer. Later, he called Rebeca and told her that he had already been interviewed and that in two days he would have the answer.

Rebecca told him.

"I already told my mom everything about us and she was very surprised. She told me that she was very fond of you because you were always very considerate of her. I got a little jealous of her."

Gerardo burst out laughing like he hadn't in a long time. Jokingly he replied.

"Tell your mother that if you don't agree to marry me, I'm going to ask her to marry me. So, you are already warned!"

Two days later he got the call from PIB. They informed him that he had been accepted and that he had to present himself to check the details as soon as possible.

The next day, at the PIB Human Resources department, they told him the details of his hiring. The salary, to start, would be MXN$150,000 a month, two weeks of vacation a year and other benefits. If all went well, his salary would be increased to MXN$200,000 a month. He would start work in two weeks, but he would have to sign now.

He did not hesitate much and signed. He knew that it would be very difficult for them to be able to pay him a higher salary at first, but for now it was not bad.

On the way back to Ricardo's home he bought a bottle of tequila and something to eat. Upon arrival, he found that Ricardo was escorted by a very young woman. At best, she was 22 years old. She was petite, but with a very graceful look.

"Hello, Gerardo. Let me introduce you to my future wife, Elizabeth."

"Good afternoon, Elizabeth, nice to meet you."

"Hello Gerardo, great pleasure."

"What are we going to celebrate, Gerardo?"

"Well, first of all, I'll celebrate that you're getting married, and later, that I've just been hired at PIB."

Already relaxed, after a few drinks, Ricardo said.

"Gerardo, Elizabeth wants to tell you something in case you are still interested in renting a house, because of what you told me that you plan to bring Rebeca."

Elizabeth intervened saying.

"My dad works some real estate and has some apartments available here in the Loma Linda neighborhood. One of them is furnished with two rooms. I can talk to my dad so he can show them to you."