A Whisper of Hope Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Icarus let out a cry of happiness, as he broke into tears.

"I'm sorry about your mother. I heard the conversation between you and your father. How did she die, if I may ask?"

"A disease took her... My father brought her to every temple he could, but the prayers she received did nothing. She needed someone as brilliant and brave as herself. If only I had the same interest in medicine back then, who knows, maybe I could have been that someone," she replied.

"So that's why you are so determined to become a healer?" he asked.

She let out a chuckle followed by a sigh, "Yeah, that's why..."

Asteria ruffled Icarus' hair as she got onto her feet. "I think our mothers are looking at us from above, proud of how far we have come," she said with a smile. "You may have killed people, but you are no killer in my eyes. You did what you had to do to survive, and I can hardly even begin to imagine how hard that must have been for you. I can tell you don't like death or violence, but it was forced upon you and threatened your life and you fought back. You may not yet be able to forgive yourself, but if it's any consolation, I will give you my forgiveness for the things you had to do to survive," she said, and walked to her bedroom.

Icarus fell to his knees and folded his hands, as he watched her leave the courtyard, with her white gown blazing in the air behind her. "Thank you, Domina," he said silently and in shock.

Asteria smiled, "Sweet dreams, Icarus."

---

A week later, the two enjoyed a great breakfast together.

"Close your mouth when you chew, gosh," Asteria said.

Icarus quickly closed his mouth, "Sorry Domina."

"And don't speak with your mouth full," she said with great haste.

Icarus didn't say a word.

"What do you want? Surely you dream of something."

Icarus finished chewing his food and finally swallowed. "Well, I'm a slave, so what's the point in dreaming or wanting anything," he replied.

"That's a fine point, but life as a slave doesn't have to be eternal you know," she said.

Icarus sighed, "Well... I guess I dream of being free."

"Come on, that's too obvio--"

"And once I'm free, I would like to own my own vineyard, and produce the finest vine the Greek empire has ever seen, and then one day bring some home to whoever is left of my people," he said.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have cut you off, Domina."

Asteria smiled, "That's quite alright. At least I know some aspirations of yours now."

A loud banging on the front door deafened her Icarus' chewing.

"Wonder who that could be," Asteria said, as she got up from her chair and walked out to the front door. As she opened it, she was immediately met by a man with a chaotic, loud and rapid breath.

"Asteria, daughter of Marcus! Hi! Your father sent me to give you this," the messenger said with hardly any breath left in his lungs.

Asteria smiled, "Thank you."

"You are most welcome," the messenger said, as he turned around and ran into the horizon.

Asteria inspected the letter, and noticed how strange and unusual it looked. It was clean and white, with golden seals and fine writing. She walked back to the dining room.

"Who was that?" Icarus asked.

"A messenger," she replied.

"What did he want?"

"He just gave me a letter from my father, but it doesn't look like it's from my father at all."

Icarus glanced at the letter, "Wow, never have I seen a letter so fine!"

"I know... You should have seen the messenger. I think he ran all this way," she said with a great smile and a chuckle.

She opened the letter, careful not to ruin the fine seal. As she started reading, her smile progressively faded away.

"What is it, Domina?"

Her face turned red, as she ripped the letter to little pieces. She sat down in silence, covering her face with both her hands.

"I'm getting married... Apparently."

Icarus smiled, "Isn't that a good thing?"

Asteria removed her hands from her face and looked at Icarus with a cold stare, "No it's not. I don't even know the man I'm getting married to. Apparently, it's some idiot from a wealthy noble family, far higher up in the hierarchy than my family."

Icarus sighed, "Ahh..."

"That old fool... He returns from his vacation of war and slaughter, and just a week later, sells me, as if I were a stallion."

"Or a slave," Icarus said.

Asteria sighed, "Or a slave..."

"What am I to do? I fear I have no say in the matter. This letter isn't exactly a proposal. It's more like an order."

"Is this a common thing in Greece?" Icarus asked.

"Unfortunately, yes..."

"You should have been born in my tribe. Women are the ones who chooses who to marry."

Asteria smiled, "Really?"

"Yes, well it's mutual, but the men always seem to be the ones asking, and the women always seems to be the ones answering."

"Perhaps we could learn a thing or two from your tribe."

Icarus laughed, "We are no better than beasts in the eyes of the Greeks."

"Sure, but that's just exaggerated nonsense. I mean look at you, no one would even dare to call you a beast. You are good looking and well put together. Claudia bought you, and she only buys slaves based on appearance and demeanor."

Icarus' cheeks turned red, "You think I'm good looking, Domina?"

Asteria chuckled, "Don't get ahead of yourself."

For a moment she had nearly forgotten about the letter, but as the two cleaned up after the breakfast, her mind was focused on nothing but the letter, and the words it had contained. Questions began to overflow her mind. Would she be able to pursue her dream of becoming a healer using medicine? After all, it wasn't exactly an accepted practice by the Greeks, as most thought it undermined the Gods. Would she have to move from her villa, and settle down elsewhere, in the house of a stranger she had never even met? Would she be allowed to bring Icarus along with her, or would she have to sell him? Those questions kept her awake night after night, as she waited for what was to come.

To be continued...

12