All Comments on 'Above it All Ch. 08-10'

by coaster2

Sort by:
  • 26 Comments
sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 6 years ago
Thoughts

Ch 8

“What could I do or say that would put a stop to the hurt and pain she was feeling” – Um, tell her you DO still love her?

Why no mention of how she looked coming out of the pool? They make a big deal out of how the suit looks and what it will look like when it gets wet, then say nothing about it when she gets out of the pool.

Ch 9

“I thought that I’d been subtle enough with my encouragement to her,” – Shouldn’t that be “obvious enough?” Or, “I was worried that I’d been too subtle?”

He’s got a frame for the container, but is worried that the driver might make an error? Between written directions and the frame, it would be pretty hard to screw up!

“The question was, did she think we still might have what we once had?” _ Again, she tracked him down, would she have bothered if she DIDN’T think so?

“It was another night that we slept separately ... to my disappointment. I kept hoping that we’d make that last connection, but so far, it wasn’t happening. What would it take?” – She took the first step the first time, maybe he should be the one this time?

Ch 10

“In any event, they wished us well and assured us they would be at the wedding” – Could there be any doubt? There was no indication of any bad feelings; just the opposite!

Okay, liked it a lot, some of my nitpicks to the contrary. My only argument is that everyone, including Kyle, put all the blame on him. He was put through a traumatic situation, and deserved a lot of slack. He was entitled to be angry and depressed, and should have received more support instead of basically being told to, “Suck it up!”

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
same old

Same complaints as before...stilted conversations, not erotic, not hardly romantic, not logical in his inner conversations. Should have been listed in the non-erotic section.

Sorry, very average story...a 3 is all you get.

When it comes to the most important relationship he has, he comes off as a real pussy.

A Treat. (NOT)

rightbankrightbankover 6 years ago
Not Above Much

Rather middling or run of the mill.

tazz317tazz317over 6 years ago
WILL THERE ROLLER COASTER RELATIONSHIP EVER LEVEL OUT

or will life leave the mountains in the path. TK U MLJ LV NV

bruce22bruce22over 6 years ago
Wow, you keep entertaining

I have to admit that her holding onto her love was fairly impressive considering how beautiful she was.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Wonderful, touching story

This story deserves to be made into a movie,

avidfaavidfaover 6 years ago
Sorry, mentally ill

Your masochistic need to debase yourself in a vain attempt to be accepted by a cold, remote mother figure is neurotic, and you should work on it. Men, as a group, are no dumber than women, as a group, are hypergamous whores.

She failed him, and failed him badly. In later years, when she gets a mastectomy or hysterectomy, does he get to say, "Grow up! Get over it!" Does bullying someone out of a depression ever work? No, it does not. This is a sick Oedipal dynamic. I know you can't see it, but it is.

buckshot46buckshot46over 6 years ago
Very Good

Over-all, the complete 'Above it All' story is Very Good. Not the very best I've read, but definitely worthy a 5!

teedeedubteedeedubover 6 years ago
Great read

Thanks for sharing.

Ib_SaysIb_Saysover 6 years ago

I feel like Gabrielle didn't give Kyle enough, seems like everything is his fault. She didn't come across as particularly understanding after his trauma, and what can only be considered a bitter depression. Him abruptly leaving should have worried her if she loved him, but there was no indication that she tried to find out if he was okay.

Her sleeping with other people in the interim while he didn't even date should at least have disappointed him, but it isn't even remarked upon.

It feels unbalanced in some way.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Definitely agree

Definitely unbalanced. It all seems his fault, yet there is little to no mention of her being understanding of his condition. And sleeping with other guys? Yeah she definitely loved him. There was no mention of her trying to find him. What about a cell phone? Or calling his sisters?

I just don't get it. It seems this was a guy bashing story.

On a side note, I would guess the author is not born and raised in America. Most distances, except for running races, are done in miles not kilometers. A shower is not a cabinet. And there are lots of other "different" vocabulary choices in the story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
bloody good

im a bloke not too clever with words in my own life, reading what you have been penning has seriously opened my eyes.

im making sence of a great many experineces in my tim e otherwise not even aware of what was going on.

theres no room for negativity here.

keep going

cheers very much

silentsoundsilentsoundalmost 6 years ago
Good writing

Not immensely impressed with Gabrielle however.

He was messed up both physically and emotionally. He was causing a rift between them but she lets him leave instead of putting her foot down and then starts dating and fucking even though she loves him sooo very much while he improves himself and rebuilds custom bikes in tribute to her.

A bit one side eh?

If there was to be another man, he should have had more of an impact on this story. As is, she comes off as a bit of a shallow slut who went out for some cheap fucks.

Didn't do much to endear her character to the reader.

flarebel2327flarebel2327over 5 years ago
running for fun

for the joker talking about running you ever look at the Boston marathon it's called a 25 K . most all running events are in kilometers

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Diamond Stream

Hi Coaster,

You may remember I commented on the Diamond Stream system 'way back when'?

I remarked that the filter element was too fine for continuous operations and a lot of power needed to drive the unit making it somewhat impractical?

I remembered afterwards that there is another problem - dissolved gasses! Even if the water to be filtered does not have large particulates and the filters don't clog up; the gasses will pass through and you will have water unusable for consumption but is will do for irrigation.

VBR & 5* (as usual)

19pvc44

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
A good story and could well be true to life !!

WTF is with some of these people making personal vendetta comments ?? Coaster, you wrote an excellent submission. Ignore it all unless it is constructive. Many battle hardened soldiers had the same hard time accepting what happened to their bodies. Most learned to live with it, some never did, others lost wives, girlfriends, family and some regretfully...

southernreb27southernreb27about 4 years ago
KNEES

I have had both knees & hips replaced . the right hip in 1996 , fight knee in 2011 the left knee & hip in 2017. hips were a breeze the knees not so much. can't kneel anymore.still have knee pain of a different kind ,still have to take pain meds.

Rancher46Rancher46over 3 years ago

Another great love story that ended well. I disagree with the other comments about Gabrielle being a slut, he had abandoned her and went into hiding and then she tried to move on but couldn't, plus she admitted to Kyle of what she had done during that time. In the end the reconciliation was more than enough give them that happily ever after they deserved. Well written, 5 stars

flareb2343flareb2343about 3 years ago
KYLE

Kyle acted like a 9 yr old with a temper tantrum. i can understand being up set about losing the ability to run. leaving Gabreille in a snit no way.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Overall I enjoyed the series, but his recovery and 3 year separation seemed way off from his personality up to the accident. Almost like there was a selfish child there for a month followed by a weak willed coward. That period is just way off for the way was painted. I just don't get it! Glad they got back together, but...

StoneyWebbStoneyWebbalmost 3 years ago

This story had so much promise but it developed as such a slow pace that I lost interest in the characters. I would dearly love it if the author would rewrite this - cutting out much of the unnecessary dialog and spicing up the action.

JohnD46JohnD46over 1 year ago

Great story and a nice tie in. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

His sisters were always bitches to him!!

She supposedly lived yet she was dating and having sex with other men when he left!!

Guess better prospects were still with him so she came looking fir him

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Moving away was the best thing to happen to Kyle!!

Gabrielle had plans for him even before their first run together and even the ski trip and seducing him happened as per her plan!!

Was that real love if she could move on after he left!!

Kyle was living a productive life since and didn't need her

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

I like it. While I don’t agree with the commenters I question why a bigger dialogue about her seeing some guys and why. I’m happy they got together in the end but I’d like to see more dialogue on why they didn’t stack up to the main character and a possible” I’m so stupid for thinking I could replace you” moment ending in a more emotional embrace

Hiram325Hiram3255 months ago

She moved on decisively after he left then decided he was the best prospect so she hunted him down... hard pass.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous