Ace Ch. 03

Story Info
The morning after. Was this a one-night stand?
8.2k words
4.68
3.9k
3

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 02/12/2024
Created 10/29/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
88girfriend
88girfriend
203 Followers

Thank you so much to my editors for all your help.

***Authors Note*** Thank you for reading my story. If this is the first of my stories that you have ever read, welcome. I always recommend reading any of my series from the start as I generally do not keep describing characters after the first or second chapters.

November 01, 1943. Avenger Field, Sweetwater, Texas.

"Well, that was interesting," said Allison Constance Evans, better known as Ace, to her student pilot, Mary Johnson, from the rear seat of a T-6 Texan. Mary just sighed. Ace popped a butterscotch in her mouth. Ace stood up and climbed out onto the wing. Mary did the same as Ace moved down the wing to the ground. Mary followed and the two women were soon standing next to each other on the tarmac.

"I'm so sorry, Ace," began Mary.

"For what?" Ace interrupted her before she could start into the long apology that she had already heard half a dozen times.

"For the flight," responded Mary with a confused look on her face.

"It was a great flight," said Ace with a smile. "And that was about the shortest takeoff I have seen in a long time."

"Thank you, ma'am," Mary responded, beaming from the praise.

"You're welcome," replied Ace moving to the edge of the wing. "In the air, Mary, you're a natural," said Ace, inspecting the wing. "It's when you're on the ground that things go a little haywire."

Mary's gaze fell. "I just can't seem to figure that part out," admitted Mary. "I mean this thing has such a huge nose. Maybe I could do my training in a Mustang."

"Maybe you could do your training in a Corsair," suggested Ace. Mary shuddered at the thought. "We train in what they give us. You have to be able to fly anything. We ferry all kinds of planes. Which means, you have to be able to get checked out in any kind of plane they give you."

"Yes ma'am," said Mary with a little bit of a pout in her voice.

"Tomorrow we will do landings and taxi until you get it right, OK?" Said Ace sternly. "You're too good of a pilot for me to let you wash out."

"Yes ma'am," Mary said again, this time with a smile as she straightened, and gave Ace a salute.

"Now let's get your post-flight walk around done and then go grab the ladder," said Ace, as she kicked the underside of the wing. "You forgot to retract the flaps again."

Mary's smile disappeared as she mumbled, "Shit."

Ace just smiled as she took off her flying cap and shook out her hair. "Were we ever that green," asked a voice from behind her.

Ace turned and was pleased to see her best friend Evelynn Bruster standing there. "You were greener," said Ace, leaning on the wing.

"Really," said Evelynn, walking over to her friend. "I saw her landing. It was pretty rough."

"My head still hurts from that time you brought us in too hard and we bounced so high I thought you were doing a go-around," Ace remarked.

"What about that time you forgot to pull the stick back on the taxiway," remarked Evelynn with a smirk. "It was like we were suddenly in the middle of a tornado."

"Ya," flinched Ace at the memory. "That was not one of my best turns."

"I'm not ashamed to tell you," admitted Evelynn, her voice turning more serious. "I thought that was going to be it."

"Really?" asked Ace.

"My whole life passed before my eyes in those few seconds," said Evelynn, looking out over the airfield. "And I can tell you it was about 60 years shorter than I wanted it to be."

"Sorry E," said Ace, and meant it.

"It's OK," said Evelynn, giving Ace a soft punch on the shoulder. "I forgive you."

"That was the worst day of my career. Thank goodness one of the wings didn't dip or I could have killed us both," said Ace her eyes beginning to moisten with tears. "I almost killed us, E."

"Hey, hey," said Evelynn, moving in to wrap her arms around Ace's shoulders. "I'm here and you're here, so we're good. OK."

Ace wiped her eyes, sniffled, and then nodded her agreement. "I thought they were going to wash me out that day for sure. A couple of the wing spars were bent and the mechanics had to replace yards of sheet metal. That bird was down for about a week."

"Too bad they didn't have George," blurted out Evelynn before she had a chance to think about what she was saying. "He could've had her flying the next day."

Ace's face went a whiter shade of pale and she just stared at her friend in disbelief. Evelynn put her hand over her mouth and sucked in a breath. "Oh, Ace. I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have said that."

Ace sniffled and then said, "No big deal, E."

The two girls then watched as Mary returned with the ladder and set it up near the engine cowling. The two women came around the plane and Ace held the ladder. Figuring that the damage was already done, Evelynn asked the question she had been dying to ask for a couple of days, "Have you heard from George?"

"I got a letter from him a week ago," answered Ace, with a sigh. "But thanks to the army censors and the mail service, it was two months old."

"What did it say?"

"The usual. He's fine. I shouldn't worry. He will be home as soon as he can. Everything else was redacted."

"Do you have any idea where he is?" pressed Evelynn.

"If you read between the lines and compare that with what I get from the papers I think he is in North Africa. Why the Army needs accountants in North Africa I don't know, but that's my best guess."

Not wanting to talk about Goerge any further Ace changed the subject. "What about Bill?

"Oh, he's still in Ohio," replied Evelynn. "And mad as hell."

"His uncle is still the base commander there, right?" asked Ace.

"Yes," Evelynn said, with a frown. "And I know what you're thinking, Bill's using his uncle to keep himself safe, but that just isn't true. Bill has been putting in for a transfer every week since George shipped out, but they never get approved."

"Transfer?" asked Ace. "Why would he put in for a transfer?

"Because he thinks he isn't doing enough," answered Evelynn. "He thinks people are going to think he's a coward."

"That's ridiculous," said Ace.

"I know that, and you know that but, Bill...," said Evelynn with a sigh. "MEN! It's a matter of honor or pride or some such crap to them."

"We had a boy like that back home," said Mary from atop the ladder. "He wanted to be a soldier so bad, that he stole his brother's birth certificate so he could lie about his age and join up at fifteen."

"That's ludicrous," scoffed Ace. "Bill is doing his part just like the rest of us. He's no coward."

"Deep down Bill knows what he is doing is important," explained Evelynn. "But men are..."

"Stupid?" offered Ace.

Mary laughed. "Don't you have pumping to do?" asked Evelynn looking up. "Those flaps aren't going to raise themselves."

"Yes ma'am," replied Mary, who had the decency to look a little sheepish before she got back to work.

"Men are prideful," Evelynn went on. "Bill's ego is bruised. And just between you and me, I think you're not the only one that misses George."

"They are as thick as thieves, those two," Ace remarked, remembering the dance they had all attended together.

"Just like two ladies I know," said Evelynn, who then gave Ace a hip bump.

Ace thought for a minute. Mary finished and came down the ladder. She folded it and headed off to put it away in the nearest hangar. Ace snapped her fingers. "How about this, E, why don't we ditch our trainees for the weekend and head over to ferrying command? I'm sure we can talk them into taking a B25 or a C47 up to Lockbourne and then you can see Bill. I bet that would cheer him up."

"Good idea, but no," replied Evelynn frowning. "Bill doesn't want to see me anywhere near Lockbourne right now."

"What happened?" asked Ace. "You two have a fight or something?"

"No," said Evelynn, as she moved closer to her friend. "Can you keep a secret?" asked Evelynn in a conspiratorial tone.

"You mean a bigger secret than the fact I fly airplanes for the U.S. Army," she asked sarcastically.              

"Yes," said Evelynn, who then looked around to make sure that Mary had not returned. "Two women at Lockbourne have gone missing."

"Missing!" exclaimed Ace.

Evelynn put her forefinger to her lips in the universal, 'shush' gesture. "Yes. Missing," whispered Evelynn. "Two in the last six months. It's all very hush-hush."

"Wow."

"The MPs are investigating but they haven't been able to come up with anything," continued Evelynn.

"You mean Burns and Shultz?" asked Ace with a sneer. "Those two couldn't find water if they fell out of a boat."

"I don't know if they are the ones in charge of the investigation," admitted Evelynn. "But until whoever is in charge finds the women or the snatchers who took the women, Bill doesn't want me anywhere near there."

"What about me?" asked Ace trying to lighten the mood with a joke.

"I'm sure he doesn't want to see you, either," responded Evelynn.

"Hey, I've been very nice to him," protested Ace.

"I know, I know," said Evelynn waving her arms. "And I appreciate it." Then Evelynn smiled an impish smile. "I'd hate for my maid of honor to not be allowed at my wedding because she couldn't get along with my future husband."

"Evelynn Martha Bruster, did Bill propose?" Asked Ace, her tone rising with her excitement for her friend.

Evelynn put her finger to her lips again and Ace grimaced. Once again Evelynn looked around to make sure no one else was around. "We haven't told anyone yet," Evelynn paused for dramatic effect "But, yes," replied Evelynn shaking like a leaf.

"And what did you say?" asked Ace in a whisper

Evelynn punched Ace in the arm again, a little harder this time. "What do you think I said, silly? Yes."

"Oh, E! I am so happy for you!" said Ace, leaning in to hug her friend. Inside however Ace's heart was breaking. If Evelynn got married that would probably mean that she would be leaving the service.

"We agreed to wait until after the war," said Evelynn, as if reading Ace's mind. "We both have too much to do right now but, the first June after the war ends you had better get your butt to North Carolina for my wedding."

"Wouldn't miss it," said Ace, who then went in for another hug. "I will always be there for you, E. Always."

August 3, 1985, Ashland VA.

"Morning?" asked Evelynn in a harsh tone "Did you set your clocks back early?" Ace was about to speak when Evelynn went on before she had a chance, "It's almost noon, Ace."

Ace stared in disbelief at her alarm clock. It was. "Well, we got in pretty late. It would appear I forgot to set the alarm," Ace explained.

"You forgot to set an alarm?" asked Evelynn, in a skeptical tone. "You?"

"Yes, E, me," responded Ace, sitting up in bed. "I was a little tired after driving all the way down to Kingwood and back to rescue your grandson."

"You're right. I'm sorry," apologized Evelynn. "Thank you, Ace."

"Not a problem, E," she responded automatically, "But it made for a long day is all I'm saying."

Ace crossed her fingers and hoped her friend would buy her explanation and move on. There were a few moments of silence and then Evelynn asked, "How's the car?"

Ace looked skyward and mouthed, 'Thank you, Lord.' Turning back to the phone she said, "Pretty bad."

"How bad?"

"Remember that Airacobra (P-39) I had to fly with no instruments?"

There was another silence. "That bad?" asked Evelynn.

"I mean the main problem is pretty easy to fix, if I can find the part. There are two swap meets coming up here soon. I was going to take Jared and see if we can find what I need there," Ace switched hands and ears, "But that would only be a fish-for-a-day solution. The car needs a total, off-frame restoration."

"What would that run?"

"Way more than the car is worth."

"But it can be done?"

"Yes, but not by me," Ace said, running her hand through her hair. "I can do most of the mechanical stuff but it needs paint and bodywork too."

"Do you know someone who can do the work?"

"I do," admitted Ace. "But like I said before, the car is not worth it. And even if it was, we are talking quite a bit of money, and time, and Jared doesn't have either."

"I know," responded Evelynn with a sigh. "It's just he loved that car."

"I'll do my best, E."

"I know you will," said Evelynn, sounding tired.

"Hey, E. You, OK?" asked Ace.

"I'm fine," answered Evelynn, with more energy in her voice. "How's Jared?"

Ace figured that Jared was doing pretty well at the moment. After two great sex sessions, she was sure feeling a lot better than she had in several months. Naturally, she was not about to offer this information up to Evelynn, but it did make her smile while she sat in bed remembering his cute butt. "Oh, he's fine," Ace answered.

"Good," said Evelynn in a cold tone. "Because I'm going to kill him."

Crap, crap, crap she knows! was all Ace could think. "What?"

"Apparently, he decided to break it off with Karen on Friday," said Evelynn.

"Yeah," responded Ace. "He mentioned that on the drive home."

"Well, I'm sure glad he's keeping you informed," said Evelynn, sarcastically. "It sure would have been nice if he had mentioned something to me or his mother."

"Wait a minute," said Ace, her brows knitting. "If he didn't tell you about breaking up with Karen, then how did you find out?"

"How do you think?" Evelynn fired back, in a condescending tone. "Mercedes has been calling me all morning."

"But you just said he hadn't told her, either," pointed out Ace, her head beginning to hurt. "So why has she been calling all morning?"

"Because Karen told her mother, and her mother has the local gossip mill working overtime spreading vicious rumors about Jared all over town." Evelynn stopped to take a breath and then went on. "Mercedes, being the second biggest gossip in town is hearing all these tall tales and naturally reporting them to me. They're saying Jared is everything from a cheater to gay."

Ace used a pillow to smother a laugh. She felt really bad about the situation Evelynn was in but couldn't help but find it extremely funny. She listened as Evelynn took two deep breaths before saying anything. "Well, we both know he's neither of those things," offered Ace.

"Yes, yes but Mercedes just won't leave it alone," said Evelynn in a much calmer tone. "What did he tell you?"

"I think it would probably be better if I let Jared tell you." Ace started to say when Evelynn cut her off.

"Just tell me what he told you, Ace," said Evelynn, her voice growing more aggressive.

"He said that he and Karen were talking about their future," said Ace.

"Their future?" asked Evelynn.

"Yes," said Ace, trying to remember the conversation that seemed a lifetime ago. "Specifically, where she planned to teach once she was done with school."

"Ok," said Evelynn, encouraging her to go on.

"Which is when she told Jared that she didn't plan on finishing school as she was going to be too busy being Mrs. Jared Henry to work," finished Ace.

"Oh, wow," responded Evelynn.

"Exactly," agreed Ace.

"I assume Jared didn't take that well?" asked Evelynn.

"You assume correctly," confirmed Ace. "He said he finally saw her for what she truly was and broke it off with her right then and there."

"Good for him," said Evelynn, more than a little pride in her voice. "To think of all that wasted potential. I mean what if we had had that attitude in '42?"

"That's exactly what Jared said," added Ace.

"OK," mumbled Evelynn. "Good. I can work with this."

"Glad I could help," said Ace, moving to the side of the bed.

"Oh gosh, Ace," said Evelynn, her friendly manner returning. "We have been talking about Jared this whole time. I haven't once asked how you're doing."

"Oh, I'm just fine," she answered.

Ace clamped her hand over the mouthpiece, and swore, "crap, crap, crap."

"Just fine?" asked Evelynn, suspiciously.

"Yes, E," responded Ace, her anxiety growing. She was dead. It was only a matter of time before Evelynn got it out of her.

Ace considered hanging up. If Evelynn called back, Ace could always blame the phone company or ignore the call.

"What's wrong?" asked Evelynn.

"What makes you think something is wrong?" Ace responded, way too quickly. "I'm just a little tired. I'm not as young as I used to be."

Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. thought Ace. Hang up. Hang up now!

"Ace, I've known you for a long time," began Evelynn. "And the last thing you are when you say you're fine is fine. Out with it."

"Out with what?' asked Ace, playing dumb.

"That is precisely what I am trying to figure out," said Evelynn, her tone going calm. "I still remember that day we were on our way to Yuma. You said we were quote-unquote 'fine' then ten minutes later you confessed that you were lost."

"I wasn't lost," Ace argued. "I found the airport."

"Ya, after flying in circles for fifteen minutes," Evelynn answered, with a chuckle.

"I was looking for the best approach," Ace lied.

"You were looking for the airport," accused Evelynn.

"I was looking for any flat open place to put her down," Ace admitted. "Luckily, I found the airbase first."

"Smarter to be lucky than it's lucky to be smart," said Evelynn, in a sing-song voice. "How dry were we?"

"Pretty dry," answered Ace, honestly. "But look on the bright side."

"No fuel. No fire," they said in unison.

There was a silence on the line and Ace thought for a moment that she had distracted Evelynn enough to get her to drop the subject. She was wrong. "Now I know you're hiding something," said Evelynn.

"I AM NOT!" said Ace, trying to maintain a civil tone and failing.

"You said that you were 'fine'. Then you tried to distract me with an old war story, and now you are getting upset," explained Evelynn. "What are you hiding Ace?"

"Nothing."

"Oh, come on Ace," pleaded Evelynn. "I thought we were beyond this. I mean for heaven's sake you have not been this recalcitrant since the doctor told George he had cancer..." Evelynn stopped talking with a gasp. "Oh, God, Ace. Do you have cancer?"

"No, E."

"But you said you went to see the doctor," Evelynn reminded her.

"Yes, but it was just for my yearly checkup," she confirmed. "I mean he did blood work, but it was routine, nothing serious."

"Ace, don't you dare lie to me," said Evelynn, on the verge of tears.

"E, I don't have cancer," said Ace, in as calm a tone as she could manage.

"Then what are you trying to hide from me?" pleaded Evelynn.

Ace quickly thought about telling Evelynn she was right, and let Evelynn go on believing that she had cancer. I mean she could always tell Evelynn later that it was a false alarm. She opened her mouth to say the words but then stopped. Evelynn was her best and dearest friend. She could put Evelynn through the pain of thinking she was dying, even for a week. "I slept with Jared," she whispered into the receiver.

"You what?" asked Evelynn, sounding confused.

"I slept with Jared," said Ace again, this time speaking each word slowly as if she were talking to a child.

"My Jared?"

"Well, he is kind of my Jared now," she said with a snicker. "But, yes. Your Jared."

"You're the other woman?"

"I AM NOT," she yelled into the receiver. "He broke up with Karen on Friday. This means he was free and clear when we... you know."

"Ya, for like a whole 36 hours," remarked Evelynn.

"The point is, we didn't sleep together until last night," Ace affirmed. "Therefore, I am not the

other woman."

"So, you're the rebound girl?" asked Evelynn, obviously enjoying her discomfort.

Fear shot through Ace. She hadn't thought of that. What if Evelynn was right? What if she was just the rebound woman? Could she deal with that? Then she looked down and saw Jared's class ring still on her finger. "This was not a one-night stand! He says he loved me."

88girfriend
88girfriend
203 Followers