Action, Reaction and Consequences Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Picking up the bits and pieces that were left in Tanya's haste to leave he smiled to himself. She'd left her passport behind; She was now stuck and should be returning to the hotel very soon.

A couple hours later Graham returned his call. He had no knowledge of Tanya being recalled and was shocked that nobody had the decency to discuss it with him. He promised to call Matt back once he found out what was going on but it was now five pm and he may struggle. The worst case was he'd call Matt in the morning.

At eight pm his phone went. Expecting it to be Tanya or Graham he was surprised to see his gran's home phone as the caller ID.

"Hello is that you Matt? It's Mrs. Thompson from next door. I need to be the bearer of some bad news."

"Has gran had an accident?"

"No Matt, I'm really sorry but she's passed away. The Police broke in ten minutes ago, it looks like she passed in her sleep. They've asked if you can come around as soon as possible please?"

Mat explained that he was in Southern France but Tanya should be on her way back to the UK and he would get her to pick up what he couldn't until he returned. He ended the call and started to believe it was just a realistic nightmare he was stuck in. How can he lose the only two women in his life in less than six hours.

He knew he had to keep his cool now. He tried calling Tanya but it went straight to voicemail each time and a check on the last location showed Lyon Airport over an hour ago. He assumed that somehow Tanya had managed to leave France without her passport so he would get Graham to intervene and put Tanya straight. As he would made his way back home through France, she can start to deal with the sorting his gran's death.

He called Graham.

"Sorry Matt I've not got the ans..."

With a shaky voice Matt cut across Graham.

"I desperately need your help mate. I've just had a call telling me my gran has died. It'll be two days before I can make it and I'm fairly sure that Tanya is making her way back to the UK right now. Can you please pull her out of whatever she's doing as I desperately need her support."

"Crap mate, I'm so sorry. Of course, I'll move heaven and earth to help you. Do you know what flight she's on?"

"No, she left me around 2pm at the airport but she's left her passport here. I waited thinking she'll come back for it but she never showed."

"OK mate leave it with me. Keep me up to date, and I'll do the same. I'll try and track her down."

They finished the call and Matt went out a walk. He walked back to the airport banging on the door where Tanya had walked through. Within minutes airport security arrived and forcibly took him to another room after his anger levels rose refusing to budge until someone of authority spoke to him. They took his passport and left him locked in the room. Less than five minutes later one of the two Frenchman who'd met Tanya came into the room, handed his passport to Matt and held the door open. Matt refused to move.

"You can sit here as long as you like monsieur, but if you are waiting for your wife, I can assure you she is no longer in France. I am being sympathetic at the moment as I know you are bewildered by her actions. But you've used that card now. Please leave the airport, if you return, we will not be as hospitable Mr. Andrews."

Earlier in the day he would have been shocked by the treatment, now he tried to take it in his stride. As he walked back to the hotel, he decided to try for a couple hours of sleep. He could then leave and message Graham the details to book him on an earlier crossing back to the UK. He hadn't been back long before Grahan called him.

"Hi Matt, you did say you're at Lyon right? It was today that Tanya left?"

"Yeah that's right is there a problem?"

According to my info Matt she hasn't left France, at least not under her own name. I've also managed to speak to my boss, Thomas Wilson. I'm totally pissed, he was going to tell me tomorrow that Tanya has been seconded to a special investigation. I asked him for details and he bluntly told me it's above my pay grade. I explained about your situation and said he will try to see what could be done. I've heard the words fall from his mouth but they felt hollow. I doubt he's gonna lift a finger to help."

"Thanks Graham. It it helps I went back into the airport looking for her. French official brushed me off assuring me she was no longer in France."

I'll keep digging, you've got to keep going, keep focussed. I've called the uniformed boys and told them to run anything regarding your gran through me, I've authorised for the house to be made secure where they had to break in."

Matt thanked him for his help and told him of his current plan, asked Graham to sort his crossing and that he'd stay in touch.

He tried to sleep but just tossed and turned with his mind full of questions. When he went to checkout he asked about the bill and when it was booked - had his wife paid for it? The answer was no, it had been paid by a business account very early in the morning and he couldn't disclose any further details.

He left and started to make his way back through France towards Calais wondering what the hell was going on. Despite countless attempts, still no contact with Tanya.

The next day Matt was waiting to board the LeShuttle back to the UK when his phone rang showing Tanya's ID. At last, he hoped she was calling to let him know she was home and all was in hand. When he answered there was a few seconds delay followed by connection to Tanya. He was all too familiar with this type of connection. It was a typical cold calling technique to spoof a UK number when the call was being made from another part of the world.

"Matt, I'm sorry we parted as we did, everything happened so suddenly I couldn't see any other way. Its breaking my heart and I want you to know I lov...."

Matt cut angrily across her.

"Stop Tanya I'm sick of this. I want you to listen to me and don't say a fucking word until I'm finished. OK?"

As he was talking to her, he pulled his Ipad from his bag. A quick check revealed her phone still showed last known location was Lyon airport. It hadn't been switched on for two days.

"OK Tanya if you care why haven't you responded to my messages? We've barely got past the last episode where you promised to put us first and you're back lying. That call that was supposedly nothing was bullshit. You didn't book the hotel it was done by an unknown business and it was made before that call to you. It was all lies, Tanya. You had a plan so you lied to make it happen."

"I just, and I mean just, can accept that your job means you have to keep secrets from me, do things I don't and can't know. But I want some answers from you Tan. First off where are you?"

She spoke, her voice stressed.

"I'm really sorry I can't tell you. As much as I want to I can't.

"OK let's skip that one for the moment. Why haven't you responded to my countless messages and calls?"

"I wanted to reply to them. I understand you're angry with me as to what I've done but I'll be back soon Matt, I promise".

"And there you go Tanya, lying again. What have the bulk of messages said Tan?"

There was a slight gap before the reply.

"How much you were hurt and how much our marriage is at ris...."

"Wrong answer Tan, lying again. You haven't even read them."

I want you to turn your phone on and read the messages Tanya. Then ring me back in 90 minutes when I'm in the UK, I'll wait at the terminus before going home. No call then don't bother contacting me ever again.

Now clearly stressed she replied.

"I can't Matt, I'll be working and not have a signal."

"Lying again, Tanya."

"I promise I'm not."

"Thin ice Tanya, thin ice. Tell you what, since you like playing games here's one for you. I'm going to hang up and call you back straight away. I bet our marriage it's turned off and you can't pick it up simply because you don't have it on or, more likely, it's not even with you. Want to gamble our marriage Tanya?"

The line was silent for several seconds before Matt spoke.

"Ok, so we know that's another lie Tan."

"Wherever you phone is read the messages, ring me back between ninety minutes and two hours at the end of this call. Once you've read those messages if work is still the be all of your life Tan, it's over. Period. No excuses make the call to me."

Matt hung up.

He made the crossing and waited at the terminus, literally at the ninety-minute mark his phone rang with an unknown caller ID. When he answered he heard a tearful voice.

"I'm so, so, sorry, I didn't know, I didn't know, I swear on my life I didn't know Matt!"

"Right, so now you do know. You walked out on me because work was supposedly more important than us. The tables have turned Tan. Make a choice now."

The sobbing became louder.

"I'll be home as soon as I can Matt I promise.!"

"Not good enough. As soon as you can, we talking tomorrow at some point?"

"I can't Matt, I just can't. It's complicated and I can't tell you why. Please I can't give a day but I'll be home as soon as I can."

" No, don't bother Tanya. I had two woman who I adored in my life, one passed away the other day, my love for the other has just died too. I have no-one now."

"Please Matt I'll try I'll..."

He hung up. He realised that his marriage was over. He really did not think it would happen but it had, Tanya had pushed him too far.

He rode back to Bournemouth, his mind on autopilot phoning Graham to tell him he was home and about his conversation with Tanya and that his marriage was over.

The next day text began arriving from unknown caller to which Matt couldn't respond. The were about being sorry, it was all fixable, she would be back soon. But no cast iron commitment. There were several calls from an unknown number and even Tanya's number. He just ignored them. Graham tried to intervene through official channels with the same answer. She would return as soon as possible.

Two weeks later it was his gran's funeral. It was an early morning service at 9.00am and likely a small affair. A handful of distant relatives, some neighbours, a few friends, Graham and a few of Matt's work colleagues that had met his gran. Just as the Chapel door closed a figure slipped inside, Matt glanced to see if it was Tanya. All he managed to see was a blonde-haired woman who had taken a seat in the back row behind some others.

All through the service Matt felt numb. As the celebrant spoke of his gran's life his mind drifted off to his own life. How his wife had abandoned him at a point in his life when he most needed emotional support. Suddenly, it was over. The small gathering made their way to the recently opened grave.

The coffin was lowered and Matt said a few words before the final commitment was made. Part way through his speech he looked at those gathered then stopped suddenly. The blonde-haired woman had stood behind the main group but he realised it was Tanya; her hair dyed blonde.

He stood and stared at her as she looked at the ground beneath her. Realising he'd stopped for some reason she looked up to see he was staring directly at her. It was not love she could see but hatred visible in his eyes. He continued with his last few words of committal.

After the service she walked up to him crying, kissed his cheek and could barely utter the words she was sorry for his loss. Matt never flinched. Just stood devoid of emotion or reaction to her presence.

Whist Matt was talking to other mourners he saw Tanya and Graham in a heated discussion by the parked cars. Tanya stormed off getting into the back of a Jaguar with blacked out windows. She didn't bother to turn up at the wake.

Once back at what was now his home, formerly his gran's house, the wake came to an end in the early afternoon. Graham was the last person left and as they started to speak Matt's phone pinged with a WhatsApp message from Tanya. She asked if he would join her for dinner at seven-thirty at the Italian they called our place. She wanted to express how sorry she was for how it had fallen apart over the last couple of weeks and explain to him why. She was sure once he understood they could put things to rights between them.

He showed Graham the message.

"I tried to talk to her at the end of the funeral. Told her as her boss I'm ashamed of her behaviour. All she said was I wouldn't understand at the moment but it will become clear once she had an opportunity to talk to you properly. If I was you go, you can both have your say and see how you handle the broken pieces of the last couple of weeks. Whatever happens Matt, I'm on your side a hundred percent."

Graham left Matt who was exhausted. He went to lay down for a rest and debate if he would go and meet Tanya.

He woke at five pm, surprised he'd slept for so long. He finally responded.

'I'll be there if you promise there'll be no lies, and you lay everything, and I mean everything on the table. Total transparency. You can fuck the bullshit about the Official Secret Act. That's the deal Tanya'

Five minutes later he had a response.

'OK'

With no plans to drink Matt drove to the restaurant. As he went to go in he noticed it was a lot dimmer than normal inside, he thought they were closed. That thought was further compounded by the sign on the door showing a closed sign and the door was locked. He tapped on the door and the owner Antonio rushed to open it. Matt pointed out the sign showing closed but Antonio seemed oblivious to it, nor did he greet Matt in the usual jovial manner. All he done was extend an arm towards a table for six but with a single person sitting there.

Tanya.

Matt looked around and the restaurant which was surprisingly empty except a couple of people sitting in the booth they usually sat in. The light was too low to see who they were. As he walked towards Tanya two things jumped out at Matt. The blonde hair, which he'd already noted, and evidence of a substantial suntan suggesting she had been abroad somewhere extremely sunny.

He sat opposite her noting she had worn the earrings he'd brought her for their first anniversary. Despite how he felt about her he couldn't deny she looked stunning. She had worn an elegant black cocktail dress he'd never seen before and her make-up styled differently to complement the change in hair colour. He didn't speak, just stared blankly at her. He wanted her to start the dialogue.

"Hi Catch"

She extended her hands out across the table to towards him. Matt didn't move.

"My name's Matthew, I'll be kind though and let you call me Matt. The only person that can call me Catch is my wife but that woman's gone as far as I'm concerned."

She chewed her lower lip trying to keep her composure and slowly withdrew her hands.

"That hurt Matt, really hurt. From the very bottom of my heart, I'm sorry that I haven't been here for you, its crushed me every day to think of you alone trying to deal with this."

"Then why did you leave me alone? What was so fucking important that you disregarded me and my gran. She stood by you and yet you've disrespected her by putting your precious job first!"

Matt's voiced was raised and clearly angry. Tanya's eyes glanced momentarily past Matt. He assumed Antonio was coming to take their order. He took his time coming.

Matt ordered a pasta dish, no starters. Tanya ordered herself some starters and a main course. Matt noticed that Antonio was visibly shaking with beads of perspiration forming on his forehead.

"Hey, don't worry about us Antonio, we just have a few things to discuss. Sorry I raised my voice just then, I'll keep it down. I'm not staying long so serve mine with her starter please."

He nodded then walked away quickly. Matt had never seen him act this way. He turned back to face Tanya.

"I'm not here for the full experience Tanya. You said you'd be honest so please, start to spin me the truth."

"I've been in Dubai on a case Matt, its large and involves multi-national agencies. I've h.."

Matt cut straight across her.

Why you Tanya? If it's that's big a case, what skills have you got that's so special it needs you..."

He paused, slapping his forehead with the palm of his hand.

"Aah of course! you've experience in a particular sort of undercover work!"

Tanya glared at him, her face angry. She spoke through gritted teeth.

"You fucking prick. Can't you let go of that one mistake!"

"Kettle. Black. Two word that come to mind. What happened to 'work would never interference in our relationship again' eh?"

They remained silent until Antonio brought out Tanya's starter and Matt's meal. As they started to eat Tanya asked a question.

"You said we were over, have you started divorce proceedings yet?"

Matt dropped his cutlery.

"Good God woman is that what this is about? As it happens, as if you didn't fucking know, I've had the only person who loved me die a couple weeks back. Funny, taken my mind off that one but I'll be straight back on the case tomorrow if it puts your mind at rest!"

Visibly extremely angry Matts voice was raised again.

Tanya visibly winced, she again appeared to quickly glance over his shoulder. As before she put her hands out across the table towards him before speaking softly.

"I don't want a divorce Matt, I still stand by all those things I've previously said about you, me and starting a family. The opportunity is within our grasp in less than a year. But I have to do something. Fulfil what I've always made clear to you and that's to be the top of the pile, be the best. I have to do it, Matt. I can see you still don't understand, you think I'm selfish but it's the one thing that's driven me. Until you came along."

She pushed her plate aside and picked up a thin bound file that had been sitting un-noticed on the chair next to her and placed it on the table sliding it across to Matt.

"For me to do that you and I need to sign a contract. I'm glad you haven't started the divorce proceedings as it would make this an irrelevant document. It's more Important to me we find a way together and this makes it clear. Some of it may seem odd, but it brings what we want within our grasp for some small sacrifices."

She pushed the document towards Matt. He opened the folder to see it was headed as an official Home Office document but there was something glaringly out of order about it. Almost half the text on the page was simply black blocks. Quickly flipping through all of the pages all he could see was a large number of black blocks on every page.

He read the first line.

'This agreement, as dated within the signatory sections, is a contract between His Majesty's Government, blacked out text, Tanya Andrews and Matthew Andrews.'

After that there was an index of the pages that followed stating that all sections must be signed and dated where applicable for the contract to become legally recognised. The first section stated it was covering operational duties. He turned the page to see that almost all of the text was black boxes, it said nothing meaningful to him. Feeling his anger rise he looked at the next page.

'Using the powers bestowed upon his Royal Highness and agents acting on his behalf a special annulment of the marriage between...'

He closed the folder, his face puce with anger. Tanya looked over his shoulder but this time it was a continuous gaze.

He threw the folder at her.

"You're fucking mad if you think I'm going to sign this doc.."

The next think was a hand slammed his head down face first into the table. A voice spoke, one with an Australian accent he'd heard before. In milliseconds all the parts that been out of his grasp trying to see how this had all come about quickly fell into place.

"Hello cocksucker! Now that's no way to speak to our star employee".