Adela’s Ascent

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Apart from formal education rated as 'woeful', business experience as 'virtually non-existent' and knowledge of law 'nil' Adela had performed 'above average' in the preliminary interview and 'outstanding' in her responses to the 'what if' scenarios and in responding with actions and reactions to the computer test of an experienced PA's exceptionally busy day at the office and socially when accompanying her principal to a convention.

They boggled, however, at a written response to the question about reaction to an indecent proposal by her principal when away at a conference: 'I would comply but would ask for time to shower and change my underwear and buy condoms'."

"There's no way this candidate cis only eighteen," Mrs James said.

"We are looking at a big pass on the basis of minimum qualifications aren't we?" Shirley said.

"Yes."

"Well call Adela in and if she accepts I'll call Pavin with the news to save you that embarrassment. She's going to be good, I'd say exceptionally good Mrs James; I feel it in my waters."

After securing her job Adela walked through the CBD and outside City Hall saw a big notice of a community meeting called by Miss Pamela Brown, assistant district attorney, to discuss a name change for the City of Michelle.

"The stupid bitch," Adela fumed.

A woman walking by stopped and said, "Excuse me, are you serious about that comment?"

"Yes."

"I'm Janis White and am just heading off to lunch. May I invite you to join me? I'm a reporter on the Clarion."

"Oh yes, I'd like that. I would be lovely to talk to a local. I take it you don't want a name change?"

"As a reporter I'm supposed to be neutral."

"You mean appear neutral?"

Janis smiled and said yes.

They had lunch and Janis was impressed sufficiently to call a photographer.

* * *

Janis arrived back in the newsroom when the editor/publisher Dick Payne was moaning, "We don't have a lead story for tomorrow morning. Janis, how is it you have time for lunch when we don't?"

"Don't be such a grouch Dick. I go to lunch to get your lead stories."

There was laughter because Janis had been on the newspaper for almost two years and frequently wrote stories that made front page but never had she written the lead.

"Does Harry Brown still get up your ass Dick?"

Everyone roared with laughter at the picture that drew.

Harry Brown had defeated Dick at two elections for the mayoralty. Dick had subsequently refused to attack his rival in print unless absolutely warranted and the opportunities to do that had been few.

"This is a kick-ass story about the mayor's daughter's making the 33rd bid in the town's history to force a name change."

Dick was suddenly interested.

"You mean I discredit the mayor by exposing his unpatriotic daughter?"

"Yes, this is a critic who pulls no punches because she has no idea of just how vitriolic our mayor and daughter can be."

Dick rubbed his hands. "Verbalize a summary darling."

* * *

The unsuspecting Adela walked into the offices of Benson Law next morning unaware that none of the employees had known about the new appointment until reading the newspaper that morning.

The three receptionists, gathered in group and reading the front page of the Clarion, looked up as Adela approached, mouths hanging open.

"Good morning ladies, I'm..."

"Adela Roman," the two women and the junior receptionist said almost in unison.

"Oh what excellent communication and so the boss has told you."

"No," they chorused.

"Well, how...?"

The receptionists scattered to their seats and instantly looked busy.

Adela turned and saw the paunchy Pavin Benson standing, looking at her – presumably having been staring at her arse. He was holding the newspaper out in front of him. Adela stepped closer to see it properly.

"Good gracious, they put that stuff I said on the front page."

She read the headline 'City Newcomer Accuses Name-Change Advocate of Being Unpatriotic'.

She protested, "That's a lie, I said disloyal."

"Much the same thing to a newspaper," Pavin said, as employees arriving almost late tip-toed around them.

"Good story huh?"

Pavin said ominously, "I appear in court today at 10:00 to defend my father on a charge of breaching bylaws by harbouring a rooster within city limits. Now thanks to you there is bound to be a switch of prosecutor with assistant Crown Prosecutor Pamela Brown handling this misdemeanour on behalf of the plaintiff. There goes my chance of over-powering the prosecution and impressing the judge with my eloquence and knowledge of law.

"Then take the alternative?"

"What alternative."

"Call your father now; tell him to dispatch the rooster to the roast pan, taking its head to the courtroom as evidence. You tell the judge your father wishes to apologize for the breach, his poor eyesight mistaking the rooster for a hen and he'll not repeat that error again and calls upon the court to exercise humility."

"You mean indulgence."

"No that's suggesting something possibly done underhand. Oh I know use the word compassion. I take it your father has no criminal record."

"He's absolutely clean."

"Well that's something in our favour. You will need to warn your father to toe the line as a common criminal."

Pavin shook his head in disbelief. He made the call.

"Dad chop Charlie's head off now and bring the head to court as material evidence. I'm ordering you, as your lawyer, to be apologetic and contrite in court and do exactly what I say. We apologize for your misdemeanour, we do not claim it to be a slight or frivolous misdemeanour, and we apologize and asked for the court's compassion in light of your absolutely clean record. Oh, and you have been complaining of your poor eyesight recently. Oh good, rather bad at present you say? Well tell that to the judge and remember you are a scurrilous defendant, not a defence lawyer on attack. Why? Because I say so."

Pavin grabbed Adela's arm and hauled her away.

"Well providing dad cooperates and assists me to grovel, thanks to you we may just get away with this ruse. It's so pathetic that neither the judge nor Miss Brown will see it as anything but contrite behaviour. You best come to court with me. You'll have to sit behind me, not with me."

"Why, my place is beside you?"

"Then get a law degree and qualify to sit with me in court."

Adela sniffed. "No thank you; one seat back is more acceptable than going through all that grind. In the way I think, I allow others to do the grind. Are you going to sleep with me?"

Pavin sighed and gave an un-lawyer like answer.

"I have to admit I've thought about it, often. If it weren't for that age differential..."

"Stuff the age differential. You are capable of doing it, aren't you?"

"Yes," Pavin said. "I'm only forty-three."

"Well then decide to do it. I find myself quite taken by you. When you have shot your load you can lick my red shoes that I'll keep on for you."

"Oh god," Pavin sighed. "Only fucking eighteen; it's unbelievable."

"And I'm quite good at it despite my age, or so I've been told," Adela giggled.

* * *

Outside the court Pavin introduced Adela to his father as his new PA.

The crusty attorney growled at his son, "Don't touch her unless she can prove she's of legal age."

"Hello Mr Benson. May I kiss you?"

"Yeah and why not, no one else does."

"If you presented yourself better shaven and less grumpy, perhaps that could change?"

Mr Benson senior roared with laughter and said, "Boy, you may have found yourself a gold nugget with this one."

A dark, pretty woman with searching green eyes looked at Adela and said, "God, it's true. You are only eighteen."

"Yes Miss Brown."

"You know me?"

"No but I could tell by the aura surrounding you that you were Deputy Crown Prosecutor Miss Pamela Brown."

"That's amazing. Good morning Mr Benson, and Pavin."

"Good morning Pamela," father and son chorused.

The judge entered the courtroom and looked impassively at Miss Brown and smiled at Mr Benson. Adela leaned forward and tapped Pavin on the shoulder. He turned looking a little irritated. "What?"

"Judge Sanford is pro-Michelle. She looked impassively at Pamela and smiled at you."

He whispered tersely, "How can you work that out?"

"I know women."

He sighed.

The action ended after the display of the rooster's head in a sealed plastic bag and the defendant apologized to the court unreservedly. At the judge's invitation the city then withdrew its complaint against Charles Wilmot Benson.

Pamela intercepted Adela outside the courtroom. "Excuse me Miss Roman – a quiet word."

"Yes certainly."

"I take it you organized that defence?"

"Yes."

"I knew it. No attorney would stoop so low."

"The punishment fits the crime don't you think Miss Brown? Mr Benson will now wear his glasses more and he is without his new pal Charlie? Further, he has been suitably chastised."

"I guess so. I can't believe a slip of a woman aged twenty..."

"Eighteen."

"... aged eighteen can act with some much aplomb. May I issue you with a challenge?"

"Yes."

"God you are so fearless. I'd like to spice up Friday night's meeting. Will you debate the issue on stage with me for the first thirty minutes?"

"Yes and then I'd like to leave rather than listen to tedious debate before the question is put and lost."

"And lost? What because of your belief in your debating skills?"

"No it will be simply a result of a majority body of sensible citizens aware that the name Michelle has survived since it was so named in 1853 and so deserves to survive the 34th attack on its right to survive."

"You didn't state that so adamantly in your newspaper interview?"

"Miss Brown although only eighteen I'm aware that people generally do not like to feel manipulated and all I have done is to attempt, largely out of ignorance, to state the case against change. I am entitled to an opinion although I lack an understanding of the history of Michelle."

"In my first morning here I awoke in the morning sunrise and looked over part of the city, bathed in a golden glow and felt I like this place called Michelle. My next thought was how a name like that for a town and now a city survive all those years as an oddity, although it wasn't as odd as other Australian place names of Bong Bong and Woop Woop. The thought intrigued me and I said that in the interview published in the local newspaper."

"You are an interesting person Miss Roman. Goodbye until our debate at 7:30 on Friday then."

As Pamela walked away Pavin came over. "What was that about?"

"Miss Brown wants me to debate the name change issue with her at the start of the meeting."

"Well that would give Pamela the ammunition she needs to discredit you. It's likely she'll attract a couple of hundred people to the meeting. The motion calling on the Council to hold a referendum on changing the name to Brackenville after the name of our River Bracken will be carried. I imagine you agreed to the debate?"

"Yes."

"Well come, dad wants to host us at an early celebratory lunch."

"Okay – I think I should be at work but okay."

"You have earned your salary today thank you."

The wine flowed and near the end Charles said, "My dear, how can I reward you?"

"You'll be known at the Canberra, Australia's Capital I daresay?"

"Indeed."

"Then please take me to the State Library on Thursday to do some research."

"Can you get time off; it takes time getting there plus research time."

"Yes your son will give me that time off to research for Friday's debate because he'd like me to drop my opponent down a peg or two."

"Oh yes, anything to shove a spike into Pamela's butt he'll back to the hilt."

Pavin asked what did she expected to find? She replied how Michelle got its name."

"The reason is unknown. The German founder Albert Berlitz always refused to explain."

"I believe it is worth going. I have a feeling in my waters."

Charles chortled and said his mother used to say that. "I haven't heard it in years. Yes, I'll take you and spend the day with you. I probably know the chief librarian and I'll pay all expenses. Today you saved me from getting a blemish on my record."

Pavin took Adela to dinner that evening and on the drive to her rooming house asked, "Would you like to spend the night with me?"

"Yes, that would be lovely."

"I'm forty-three, 25 years your senior and that means I'm not in your generation."

"So?"

* * *

On Thursday Adela was in despair after searching archives on anything she could find about Albert Berlitz around 1853. She groaned in anguish, finding no clue that could lead her to a source no one else had delved into. Charles hugged her and stroked her cheek.

"You talked about that feeling in your waters," he said softly. "Concentrate but let your mind drift. There will be something here if your feeling is correct. Try to let your mind take you there."

The soft stroking of her cheek sent Adela adrift. She felt almost asleep when the thought mushroomed into her mind. She jerked out of Charles' arms; he was almost asleep.

"What?"

"The shipping lists. I know the name of the ship Albert arrived on after sailing from Germany."

Almost an hour later Adela pointed in triumph. Charles, wearing his glasses read the notation and cried "Omigod."

* * *

They arrived home very tired. Charles dropped Adela off and she called Pavin, awakening him.

"Oh hi, was it worthwhile?"

"Yes but you'll have to come to the meeting tomorrow to find out."

"Oh I like mysteries but unfortunately for you here comes my father and he's putty in my hands."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah. Sorry babe."

Next morning Adela arrived late and the three receptionists greeted her warmly, finding her personality so engaging it was almost infectious.

"Actually I am engaged to work here, believe it or not. Could one of you take me around to introduce me to other personal? There just hasn't been time to do that until now but I better say hi to the boss." She left the women scrapping about who should take Adela around.

When at the end of the tour Adele was delivered to Pavin's office he kissed her and then went on to his knees and kissed yet another pair of red shoes he'd not seen before. He'd learned Adela also had a red shoe fetish when she said she had one pair of black shoes and all others were red.

Pavin was licking her stocking stops when there was a knock on the door.

He groaned and said "Sorry."

"It's okay. Business is business."

"Come in."

The head of divorce and estate planning entered.

Adela went off to be introduced to be fully briefed about her duties and responsibilities.

Shirley greeted her.

"Adela I'm sorry I had to switch having you at dinner on Monday. Only Saturday suits Pat."

"Yes that's fine. May I bring a partner?"

"Yes, so soon. You are quick to couple."

Adela whispered in Shirley's ear, "It will be Pavin."

Shirley almost fell out of her chair.

"Is that okay?"

Shirley nodded dumbly.

Back in her office Adela called Janis.

"Are you going to the name change meeting tomorrow night?"

"Yes and we'll run a piece in tomorrow morning's edition from Pamela Brown announcing she will open the meeting and claims she'll debate the name change with you.

"Yes, that's correct."

"She says she can't imagine an upstart like you not attempting to swing the debate your way."

"Oh isn't she kind. Janis, can I tell you something very, very confidential."

"Oh god, you've got something haven't you?"

"Janis just inform your editor to hold the front page for Saturday."

"Right, I'll do that. But why?"

"Please Janis, not a word to anyone – promise."

"Yes, yes. What is it?"

"I have conclusive proof how Michelle got its name?"

"But that's impossible."

"I said conclusive proof Janis, now keep that lip buttoned."

Charles and Pavin accompanied Adela to the meeting.

Two hundred people might attend, Pavin had said.

The hall sat 600 and when filled people were turned away with police called to help quell disturbances.

The problem was solved when extension speakers were installed in the council's cafeteria and soon there was standing room only.

Janis greeted Adela in the lobby.

Adela asked, "Why are so many people here?"

"Pamela is a very popular person in this city. People believe in her and when she says she's expecting you to swing the debate your way they believe her and are curious how you can achieve that when she is such a formidable debater. Good luck my friend."

Encouraged, Adela kissed the surprised Janis.

Mayor Brown opened the meeting and after welcoming everyone introduced his daughter to considerable acclamation. Pamela was wearing a red cocktail dress and black shoes. She took her place behind her rostrum and Mayor Brown then called Adela to the stage.

The call was greeted with just a few handclaps. Adela was wearing a black sequin cocktail dress and stunning red shoes. She half curtsied to the mayor and went over and offered Pamela a handshake but Pamela darted around and they kissed.

Once they were behind their rostrums the mayor shook his head and said, "I have difficulty understanding this. Here we are with Pamela Brown, one of the most successful assistant Crown Prosecutors this city has ever had who is thirty-eight and who has lived all her life in this city being challenged in debate by a girl, aged eighteen, who arrived in this city for the first time last Sunday. But Pamela my daughter said, 'You'll not be disappointed dad, she's incredible'. So let it rip you two. I shall adjudicate and stop you if either of you rambles."

The debate began slowly and as it worked up a head of steam people stopped shuffling and yawning and followed in disbelief as the upstart proved to be a worthy combatant.

"So Miss Brown, what makes you think you can successfully campaign for a name change when thirty-three previous attempts have failed?"

"Well Adela, it's like this, those previous campaigns failed because of the lack of conviction by the chief campaigner. I have a working committee of thirty-one influential professional and business and community leaders behind me. We are so organized no one has opposed us until you popped up. Be prepared to be steamrolled baby."

"Oh yeah, I believe the last attempt was the penultimate challenge – not for name change but in terms of failed challenges. This is the final challenge Miss Brown and I have to say it will be yet another failure."

Pamela smiled sweetly. "Oh darling, you look cute and are good with words but this is an adult world and my backers have the ultimate say. They believe there is no justification in this city being called Michelle and that concludes this debate I'm afraid. You were a worthy opponent."

The audience began clapping but Adela called, Mr Adjudicator?

The mayor held up his hand for silence. "Yes Adela?"

"I have not been offered my right in a debate for closing comment."

"Very well Adela. You have been articulate and entertaining. I'll not deny you that. Please proceed."

"Well I hope I won't be lynched for ending this meeting early but yesterday Mr Chairman I went with an esteemed attorney in this city, Mr Charles Benson, to the National Library and Archive. We searched for anything relating to the founder of this city, German immigrant Albert Berlitz in 1853, the year he arrived here, and the previous year. There was nothing. Then during a disappointed rest I suddenly had a brain wave. I searched the shipping records."

"Here Mr Chairman is the official passenger list of the list of the ship Mr Berlitz arrived on in 1853. You may care to read out the entries under Berlitz."

The mayor put on his glasses and read, "Berlitz, Albert, wife Helga, son Carl (5), daughter Greta (2). Yes, yes Miss Roman. We have a framed copy of the original document of this copy on our Wall of Remembrance in the Council chamber."