After the Ninth Bell

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She would have given anything to be there now. She wanted it more than anything she had ever desired in her life. She sniffed back another tear, and a sudden thought hit her.

The Ice-fire.

Out of sheer spite, she had been prepared to ignore the vial that Nadia had given her earlier, but maybe - just maybe.

Quickly, she stripped herself for the second time that evening, hoping it would not be in vain again. She lay on the bed, wanting her inert body to be comfortable if it worked out. She held the vial to her nose and inhaled deeply. She felt the lurch and began the downward spiral, but instead of tumbling head over heels, she found she could control her descent and flow with the vortex. She turned with every turn, flipped with every switch-back and slowed her final burst into the light. When she landed, there was no thick fog or the feeling that she couldn't move. She was watching the proceedings in the Grand Hall as if through a misted up window. She could see bodies intertwining, hear the same sounds as before but they were more distinct, almost as if she was really there. She remembered how it felt to be transported onto Daniel's erection, the ecstatic feeling of losing her cherry to him and the subsequent love-making with Lady Drusilla. She remembered her anger from earlier. Her humiliation at being replaced by Lolli.

She channelled it, distilled it and crushed it down into a tiny ball of black light.

She heard a voice in her head. "I want this... I want this... I so fucking want this..."

She opened her mouth and let the ball of light back out in a feral scream.

She took a single step forward and there was a rush of noise as she emerged into the middle of the Banqueting Hall. Drusilla was standing with her arm outstretched towards her, her face radiant with a beaming smile.

Triss was there too, her smile as wide as Drusilla's and a tear trickling down her face. She too held her hand out. "Fuckin' Saints, Frey - allus gotta makes the big fuckin' entry, ain't ya!"

Freya took hold of both hands, and knew for certain that there would be nothing pulling her back early tonight.

Chapter Eight - Elevation

Freya was almost in panic as she ran up the hill to the Castle as fast as her legs would take her. Given the lengthy exercise they had had the night before, it was no easy task. The weather was milder now the snows had stopped, but she still had the hood of her cloak wrapped tightly around her head. She was completely out of breath as she hammered on the main door.

The door creaked open and a man's head appeared. "Who be here?"

Freya's voice came in gasps. "Need.. to see... her Ladyship. Now... urgent."

He made to shut the door. "Not wiffout appointme-"

Freya shook back her hood.

The man's mouth opened in shock. "Oi'll take you to her roight away! Follow me!"

Freya replaced her hood and followed the man. She had never been through the main part of the Castle before but nothing of the opulence registered with her. He led her along what seemed like miles of corridors and through endless courtyards before pausing at a set of double doors. He knocked; a complex sound, obviously coded. The door opened and he whispered something to the girl that had answered. It was Lolli, the girl that had taken her place last night.

Lolli saw her and looked puzzled. She gestured to her. "Come on in Frey - wassup girl?"

As she entered, Freya heard Drusilla's voice. "Thanks, Lolli - I'll handle this..." The girl went through a curtain and was lost from view.

Drusilla was lying on a chaise long wearing a sleek satin nightdress. It was deepest red, the same colour as the dresses she always seemed to favour. A table was set out in front of her with all sorts of fruits and pastries. Freya had not eaten and they smelled delicious. Drusilla seemed amused. "Back so soon, little Freya? I know you enjoyed last evening, but I didn't expect to see you for breakfast!"

In response, Freya threw back her hood and unbuttoned her cloak. She let it fall to the ground. Drusilla looked on impassively.

Freya was dumbfounded by the woman's response. She gestured to herself. "Well... fucking say something!"

Drusilla stood, putting her hands on her hips and shrugged. "Never expected anything else really..."

At that moment Triss came bouncing into the room. She glanced at the table. "Mmm brekkust!" Then her eyes shot to Freya. "Ooh hallo naughty girl, back for mo-"

Her words were cut off as she looked into her friend's deep yellow eyes with the elongated upright pupils. There was a streak of silver in her vivid red hair. As Triss looked on, she pulled her hair back and revealed ears every bit as pointed as Drusilla's.

Triss swallowed hard. She pointed at Freya's nether regions. "Clit any bigger?"

Freya nodded and extended her tongue. It was half as long again as it had been when she had used it on Triss and Drusilla last night.

Triss gasped and punched the air. "Fuckin' get that in my cunt right now! How long before I get one that long, Dru?"

"Patience, Triss - patience. I already see the changes in you. The yellow-green flecks in your lovely eyes, the ears elongating. It will not be long, my sweet." She grinned at her. "Shittin' you not!"

She approached Freya and held her hand out. "Some of us are lucky, some take years. It only took me five times with the Ice-fire to achieve Elevation. It was the quickest anyone had ever seen. I knew when I saw you first that you would easily achieve it faster. Apologies for the initial disappointment last night, but I trust we have made up for that."

She put her hands on Freya's shoulders and kissed her tenderly. "Welcome to our world... Lady Freya!"

Freya was about to say something when the room began to spin. It wasn't like the Ice-fire - she couldn't control it. She felt her knees buckle and was aware of arms holding her up. As she blacked out, she heard a voice - distant and echoey. "I should have realised - Elevating so quickly - it must have taken a lot out of her..." She fell into a deep, dreamless sleep.

She woke feeling disoriented, but the pillows and sheets were soft and gentle, not like the rough bedcovers she was used to. The bed felt firm and cool and she was sure there would be no biting creatures lurking unseen in its depths. She was wearing what felt like a cool cotton nightshirt, again a million miles away from the rough garment she was used to. She tentatively opened one eye and blinked at the sunlight angling in through huge windows to her left. She had never seen the sky from her bed before. She opened the other eye and gasped as she took in the scale of the room.

It was five, six times the size of her little bedroom in the cottage, perfectly round with huge floor to ceiling windows. Everything was in white; simply but elegantly furnished. She gazed in wonder at the vast four poster bed in which she lay - itself almost the size of her own room. She turned her head and on the nightstand there was a glass of clear liquid. A small note next to it read, 'Drink me!' She recognised Dru's writing from the note she had sent her. She picked up the glass and drank. It felt cool, refreshing and invigorating.

She got up with the glass in her hand and walked to the window. She must be in one of the high towers of the Castle, she thought. The view was breathtaking - the town clearly set out below her, the plains around it leading to the forests and the mountains beyond. She could almost make out her village at the foot of the Grey Mountains in the far distance. The view of the town was so vivid it was like looking a map - there was her little cottage, and she could see smoke rising from the chimney of the Dragon's Nest in the square.

That brought her back to earth with a bump. She didn't know what time it was, but given the angle of the sun, she was late for her shift. In panic, she turned back to the room to see Dru standing there smiling softly.

"Sleep well I trust? You were out for a while, but you needed it. I hope you like the view!"

Freya was all in a fluster. "Oh Dru, it's wonderful, but I must go - I'm late and Tenby will be docking my wages."

Dru stepped forward and took her by the arm. She turned her to face a full length mirror. "And how do you propose explaining those eyes and ears to the cultured clientele of the Dragon's Nest, my dear?" She ran her fingers down the silvery streak in Freya's hair. "Hmm? Bit of explaining to old Tenby as well, methinks!"

Freya's face dropped. "But what shall I do?" The full enormity of her situation hit her and she began to shake in Dru's arms as the woman embraced her.

Dru's voice was quiet and soothing. "Well, young Freya... my apologies... Lady Freya. I think that old Tenby is currently looking for a new afternoon bar-girl. We can't have a Lady waiting tables and serving pints, can we?"

She was about to respond when Triss came skipping in. "Rodney's back..."

A portly old man and two younger lads came in puffing and panting carrying half a dozen large packing cases. They put them down near the door.

"Thanks Rod, good job!"

Triss crossed over to Freya and joined the little group hug. "Can I visits on me nightses off?"

Freya looked non-plussed. "Visit? Where?"

Triss looked at Dru and shook her head. "Din't bump her noggin when she swooned, did she?" She gestured around her. "Visits you - 'ere... in yer new room."

She broke free and twirled around with her arms wide. Her voice changed from her usual Southland drawl. "A room fit for a Lay-dee. A room fit for the lovely Lay-dee Freya." She gave a huge, sweeping bow, her hand touching the floor in front of her. "So, can I, Frey? Can I, eh? Come 'n' visit 'n' shag you daft in yer fuckin' big four-posty bed?"

Freya was trying to come to terms with this latest news. She was gazing around in wonder. She crossed to the window and looked out again, her mouth wide.

Triss joined her. "Fuckin' Saints, I can be seein' my 'ouse from 'ere!"

For once, Freya was barely aware of Triss's presence. "What me - stay here? No, I couldn't. Not possible... surely?"

Dru chuckled. "Yours if you want it, or I can find you a better one?"

Freya turned, putting an arm around Triss. "Dru, it's amazing! Is it really mine?"

"Well we've had your things brought up from the village, if that answers your question."

Freya followed Dru's gaze and looked at the pile of crates. She looked puzzled despite her euphoria. "Must have got the wrong cottage then, coz I don't own enough to fill two of those cases..."

Dru laughed. "Ok, time to come clean. This is not exactly your room."

She now took Triss's face in her hands. "It will only be a matter of weeks, maybe less. As I said, I can already see the wonderful change in your eyes." She stroked her hair and tweaked the top of Triss's pointed ears. "Coming on nicely. Yes, won't be long at all." She gestured back to the cases. "Your stuff's there too, Triss. Tenby's been paid a good few Crowns for the trouble of finding two new bar-girls."

She took both of them by the hands. "So no - it's not your room Freya. It's Freya and Triss's room."

Triss looked up at her deadpan. "So I's gotta live wi' 'ur?" She poked a thumb towards Freya.

"That was the general idea."

Triss looked up at Freya and saw her yellow eyes glazed with tears. She put her arms around her neck and kissed her so tenderly that even Dru shed a little tear. At last she pulled away.

Dru laughed. "What, no funny little Southland remark? Just a kiss?"

Triss wiped tears from her own eyes and nodded. "Yeah, just a kiss. First o'millions..." She moved in front of Dru and kissed her as she had kissed Freya.

Dru smiled. "Lucky girl getting a million kisses like that." She moved away as the two girls embraced, hugging each other until they could barely breathe.

Triss gazed out of the window in wonderment. "Can't bleeve this! Thinks I's be wakin' up in a mo'!"

She heard a voice from behind her. "Oh it's no dream, Latrissa."

They turned and Drusilla was lying naked on the bed. As she spoke, Lord Anders appeared next to her, his handsome face grinning. "Welcome, Lady Freya and the soon-to-be Lady Latrissa. We welcome you to your new home."

Triss took Freya's hand and smiling they walked slowly towards the bed. As they did, Daniel appeared, leaning nonchalantly on one of the bedposts. "Room for one more?"

Triss tickled him under the chin. "Fuckin' roight, Danny-lad - allus room for you in..." She turned to Freya grinning. "Our 'ouse!"

Freya's heart was singing. As Triss climbed onto the bed, dragging Daniel by the hand, she stood at the foot of it and surveyed the scene. She stood up straight and said in a very formal voice, "Dear guests - it is our pleasure to welcome you to our humble abode."

She let her nightshirt slide from her shoulders.

"Now, shall we all make ourselves comfortable?"

Epilogue - Our Duty and Our Honour

The banquet was in full swing. The food and drink were fabulous and looking round the tables, Her Ladyship knew it was going to be a very special evening. Some of their closest friends were there and it was getting close to the Ninth Bell.

The Ninth Bell.

How many times had she now sat here, waiting impatiently for the sound that would trigger such a night of wonderful debauchery and enlightenment?

She was aware of a presence on her right. She had been primed; she was ready. Everything was prepared. She heard a small but firm voice. "My Lady?"

She nodded and pushed her goblet towards the sound. As the girl filled it and moved away, her hand flicked out and took her gently by the wrist. She gazed up into the girl's eyes as she quickly turned away, her head bowed.

She had long, wavy auburn hair that descended way past her shoulders, one side tucked behind her ear. She was tall and willowy and Her Ladyship knew in an instant she was special - as she had been told.

The girl's voice was quiet but confident. "My apologies, my Lady. I was told not to look upon you."

Her Ladyship sounded amused. "And if I were to command you, girl?"

The girl kept her face down. "Then I must obey, my Lady."

Her Ladyship stroked the girl's hand gently. "Yes, you must, my dear. I insist!"

The girl raised her head and stood up straight. She locked her eyes onto her Ladyship's deep yellow orbs. She stared at the beautiful woman in front of her taking in her copious red hair, streaked here and there with silver. She sat with noble bearing, her pointed ears just visible through her hair. She wore a jet black silken dress with a high collar.

The girl knew she had only one chance - she wanted this so very much indeed. She was utterly terrified, but was determined not to show it. Rinke, the lovely woman who had accepted her token told her to be confident with the Lady. "You looks gorgeous, girl. Just be you and you'll be Elevated within One Turn, I knows it!"

Her Ladyship looked back at her. The girl was a rare beauty. Behind her well concealed nervousness, her Ladyship could sense a steely determination in her doe-like brown eyes. They never faltered as they bore into her own deep yellow eyes, which some found intimidating and other-worldly.

"You are new, yes?"

The girl nodded. "Yes my Lady. This is my first night." There was a slight lisp, but the voice was steady, naturally slightly husky and beautifully modulated.

"Name?"

She remembered so clearly being asked the same question so many years before. This time the girl answered her more intelligently and coherently than she had answered Drusilla.

The girl put the wine jug down on the table and put her hands behind her back. She raised her chin haughtily and thrust out her chest, though Her Ladyship was amused to see there was little to show off. "My name is Bethany, Lady Freya. I am from the Northlands."

"Are you indeed, young Bethany? You have travelled far to be with us. May I say that you are very pretty indeed. I thank you for my wine. I shall relish it knowing it was served by such a lovely young lady."

She reached into a box on the table and produced a small glass vial. She placed it into Bethany's apron pocket. She still remembered Drusilla's words after all these years. "Use this before you retire tonight, lovely girl. I guarantee it will bring you sweet dreams!"

Bethany dared to open the pocket and peek inside. Her voice was barely a whisper, but could not conceal her excitement. "Ice-fire!" She looked at Freya once more, her lovely eyes wide. "Thank you for your kindness, my Lady, I am honoured! May I be so bold as to say that bedtime cannot now come quickly enough."

Oh Great Saints, she knew! She was going to be special, this one. Again the words came as if spoken to her yesterday. "Don't tell the other girls - they will be terribly jealous!"

As Bethany moved away, Lady Freya turned to her left. Her consort Lady Latrissa was grinning all over her pretty face, yellow eyes sparkling, silver-blonde hair falling to her shoulders. Over to her right, she could see Lady Drusilla nodding her approval. She was still stunning even approaching her one hundredth birthday. Ladies Ingrid, Lolli and Gerda sat with their Consorts, faces alive with lust at the thought of what was to come. For probably the millionth time, Freya thanked the Saints for the gifts that Drusilla and her friends had bestowed upon her, Triss and all the others.

Bethany left the hall smiling inwardly. 'One Turn', Rinke had said. She smiled at the head servant as she gave her a small bag of coins. "You's done, girl. Off you gets." She thanked her and slipped the purse into her cloak next to the precious Ice-fire. It was going to be the one and only coin-purse she'd ever earn.

One Turn?

No... fucking... way.

She held the Ice-fire in a vice-like grip as she sprinted down the hill in the summer evening sunshine back to her room over the Empress Galina. She had to be back before the Ninth Bell. One Turn? She hadn't travelled this far to wait tables and serve wine for One Turn. She got to her room and quickly removed her clothes and got into bed. She stripped the wax from the vial and held it close, waiting for the Ninth Bell to ring. "See you in a moment, Lady Freya, Lady Latrissa!"

As the last servant left the hall, the Ninth Bell struck.

Lady Freya rose and the room fell silent. "Honoured guests, I am pleased to say that the Cycle has begun again. The girl Bethany is perfect. I am certain this evening that my little..." she paused, feigning modesty, "... my little achievement of the quickest ever Elevation will belong to another."

A little murmur and some applause broke out around the room. "I cannot believe we stand here today on the brink of history. Let us give Bethany something never to forget when she uses our gift."

She raised her glass to the room and repeated the words spoken at Banquets for hundreds of years. "There is much work to be done to Elevate those Worthy. It is our Duty and our Honour."

The words came echoing back in time honoured fashion. "Our Duty and our Honour."

Lady Freya's yellow eyes shone as she drank. Lady Latrissa now rose and stood beside her. "Right, I dunno 'bout you's lot, but my clittie's itching like a crabbit's armpit. 'Nuff talkies... who's be first?"

A gasp went up from the gathering as Bethany appeared out of nowhere, materialising in front of Freya and Triss. She was naked, her hair falling over her small breasts, her neatly shaven pubic area drawing looks from everyone. Her eyes were already yellow and there was a sliver streak in her auburn hair. She pulled back her hair and tucked behind it her ears as she had done earlier. They were as pointed as either Freya's or Triss's.

She held her head in the same haughty manner as when she had addressed Freya only minutes ago. "Good evening, Lords and Ladies." She bowed to the top table. "Lady Freya, Lady Latrissa. My name is Lady Bethany. I am from the Northlands."