After the Second Fall Pt. 02.2

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Geo shrugged and nodded, so the Executive Director looked to Rachel; the younger director replied, "The logic is still sound, if that's what you're asking, but it does mean the likelihood of success is lower and the risk higher."

"Don't I fucking know it," said Lilith, mostly to herself. "Okay. We stay the course and hope for a better result next time."

Geo nodded and turned to go. "I'll go find Chaz and his handler: get them started on fight prep."

The four remaining watched him leave and Lilith sighed again. "Pip, let's take a walk, talk a little. Would you like to join us, Rachel?"

"I will if you think it's important; otherwise, I would like to get back to my office and make sure things are up and running again after everyone spent yesterday recovering from the celebration." Lilith nodded, and with a parting wave to Pip, Rachel, too, departed.

Lilith and Pip were soon walking together slowly around the perimeter of the large central Courtyard, as Pip had done with John countless times; Mars trailed several paces behind. It was several hundred beats before Lilith spoke. "We haven't talked much since he died. How are you feeling?"

Pip's inclination was to deflect the question, but instead he took a half a hundred beats to marshal his thoughts. "It's... not easy to describe. Between the girls and Cap, I have everything I need, especially since I'm not really back to full training yet." He sighed deeply. "But I miss having John around. He was like a friend and a teacher and a trainer all together."

Lilith nodded, allowing the morning's sounds to surround them. It wasn't until almost a quarter bell had passed that she spoke again. "He was really, really proud of you. You know that, right?"

Pip shrugged noncommittally. "Makes sense, I guess, given the success I've had in the Arena."

Lilith stopped walking. "That was only part of it. He was proud of you as a person, separate from the fighting: your toughness, your intelligence, the way you treat others.

"He loved you like a son, and he told me that more than once." Pip made a pained expression and turned away, resuming their walk, but Lilith only paused a moment before continuing. "Nobody is ever going to fill that spot again -- that father role -- but I think he did an amazing job preparing you for life, raising you. I think we were both very fortunate to have known him."

Eventually, Pip nodded and Lilith relaxed a little. She was quiet for a short while, then smiled. "Did you know that when he would go see the city kids, teach them fighting moves or whatever, he would tell them stories about you?"

Pip shook his head and looked down at Lilith, who nodded back. "I got to see it once, and his whole face lit up, bragging about you. It was special to watch."

"I didn't know about that at all. Did he do it a lot?"

Lilith gestured her uncertainty, then recounted their shared visit to the park, which had Pip grinning broadly. When she had finished the story, Pip was happily nodding and staring off into the distance, obviously picturing the scene. "Thanks, Director Collins. It's cool to hear about a part of him that I didn't see. Do you think it would be possible for me to do the same thing?"

"Well, shit," replied Lilith without vigor, "I didn't actually mean to put any ideas into your head."

"If it helps, I can make some arguments why it would be a good thing," said Pip with a mischievous smile.

Stopping again, Lilith folding her arms and looking up at him with an unconvinced expression, clearly communicating, 'Let's hear it then.'

Meeting her stare confidently, Pip began counting on his fingers. "First, it would continue to build a positive reputation of the Complex in the community. Second, I'm sure the kids miss him. Third, I would have to be really careful when teaching the kids, which would give me a good opportunity to practice the Effect. And fourth, it would be a way to connect with John, even though he's gone."

Lilith's expression didn't change, and after a short while, she held up her own hand and began pointing to her fingers. "My responses are, in order: no, no, no, and maybe. I'm certain there are better ways to do the first three without endangering our Lead Adam; as to the last, even if I agree, how would we keep you safe?"

Pip flicked his head toward Mars, who was dutifully waiting just out of hearing.

"You trust him?"

"Yes," Pip said immediately. "I don't know if we will ever really be friends, but it's a little like how I looked up to John; Mars seems to do the same to me. I actually kind of like being able to teach him about things."

"A bit like having a little brother?"

Pip looked back to Mars again, his eyes going up to the significantly taller man. "I don't know about little... but maybe."

Lilith rolled her eyes, but a smile broke through anyway. "I don't actually have a problem with it, Pip, but let me talk with the Council; I shouldn't be making unilateral decisions unless it's an emergency."

"This doesn't qualify?" asked Pip innocently.

Lilith smiled warmly. "It's good to see the real you again, Pip."

Thoughtful for a moment, Pip tilted his head, then said, "You know, you're right: it's good to be back. Is this what you wanted to talk about?"

Chuckling in response, Lilith shook her head. "No, I wanted to talk about the Effect, but I realized this was more important."

"How?"

"Even when you get over this concussion thing, if your head isn't in the right place -- figuratively speaking, of course -- I wouldn't have sent you into the Arena. If I had, John's ghost would have haunted me forever." Pip smiled, but Lilith sent him a look that said, 'No, really,' as she nodded her head. "Anyway, one conversation doesn't mean that you're magically okay again, but it's good to see your smile, and at least I feel like you're ready to move forward.

"So..." Lilith started dramatically, " have you made progress with the Effect?"

"Some," acknowledged Pip. "The pain is dull now where before it was really sharp, so I think that's good, but it's hard to concentrate when my head hurts, so I don't have the same control of my body, even if time is passing more slowly."

"Keep pushing yourself, Pip," Lilith said. "Chaz fights next, and while I really want you for the Marbelo fight, it's not worth the risk to send you before you're ready." She fixed him with her full stare and there was no flexibility or playfulness in it. "I know you want to get back into the Arena, but I expect you to be completely honest with Director Humbolt and me. Are we totally clear on this point?"

"Yes, ma'am," replied Pip automatically.

The pair walked for another hundred beats before Pip spoke again. "Director Collins?" he inquired, his tone serious. "Was that the same glare that John told me you used on him?"

Lilith stopped abruptly in mid stride and put her hands on her hips. "Are you trying to fill the role of 'Pain in my ass?'"

"Well, it seems like there's a vacancy," he said with a pleased grin.

Lilith sighed exaggeratedly, rolling her eyes again while pivoting to return to her office. "Goodbye, Pip."

"Goodbye, Director Collins," he replied cheerfully; she didn't turn to look back, but did offer him a parting gesture with her hand.

"What was that about?" Mars asked curiously as he stepped closer.

"Just helping each other fill holes."

Chapter 15

"So?" asked Lilith impatiently, although she was trying hard to remain calm.

Dr. Shepard shook his head. "Their fighter walked out on his own. His left arm was hanging limply from the shoulder, so I suspect a dislocation or torn labrum, but those can be addressed. The left lateral quadricep was swollen quite severely, so there was a pronounced limp, but again, nothing that appeared permanent from our vantage. The rest, like contusions and blood on the face and neck, appeared typical."

"And the autopsy?" Geoff asked.

"I estimate the Adam's death around the three-quarter mark."

"Chaz, doctor," interjected Lilith. "He died for our city and deserves to be remembered as an individual."

"Yes, ma'am," Dr. Shepard acknowledged immediately, understanding the Executive Director's goal of humanizing the Adam. "The cause of Chaz's death was trauma to his chest. One of his lungs was punctured and it slowly filled with blood, to the point that he drowned."

Around the table, the directors were quiet.

"Anything else that is noteworthy?"

Dr. Shepard shook his head. "Unfortunately not, Director Humbolt."

"Thank you, Doctor," Lilith said sincerely. "We appreciate your efforts." With a nod, Dr. Shepard left, leaving Lilith alone with her directors.

"Director Humbolt, your thoughts?"

"I think it's time to adopt a less risky strategy," Geo replied. "We still have Stash available if we're challenged, but I don't think Pip is ready to go."

"He's not," confirmed Lilith. "Director Baker?"

"Agreed: there is too much risk to continue to be aggressive. Marbelo's fighters are better than we expected, and until we build up our pool again, pushing forward doesn't make sense."

Lilith sighed resignedly. "Director Frazier, you don't usually weigh in on strategic topics, but do you have any thoughts?"

Rachel sat quietly, her brow slightly furrowed and hands folded demurely in her lap. The lack of an immediate response was a clear indication that she was considering the matter, and the other directors had learned that it was always worthwhile to hear what she had to say, so they waited patiently. As five hundred heartbeats passed, Lilith watched the younger woman's face grow slowly more severe, her expression deepening. "Rachel, can you tell us what you're thinking?"

Rachel turned to face the Executive Director, her worry now evident. "This doesn't feel like the right decision, and I'm struggling to understand why, because I agree with Director Humbolt's logic.

"I also agree that Pip shouldn't fight yet: he's not ready, and that decision feels right. May I ask, if it isn't Stash that fights, who would it be?"

Geo pulled out a sheet of paper with the ordered names of the pool Adams. "We have a couple Adams that come to mind immediately: they're on the decline and not likely to make it to the Arena otherwise."

"Do they have a chance of winning?"

"Against a lesser opponent, definitely. Based on what we've seen from the last two matches with Marbelo, our chances aren't great. Anything is possible in an Arena match, but..." Geo trailed off.

"So we're sending them to lose?" inquired Rachel morosely.

"I would prefer saying that we hope to beat the odds."

Rachel nodded, but her frown was, if anything, deeper. "Director Baker just mentioned rebuilding our pool. What will that look like?"

"Seasoning, mostly. We have a good batch of young Adams, but they need more experience before we promote them to the top of the pool. Most of the initial training is technique driven, and it's only once they're in the pool that they begin to develop a feel for fight strategy and situational awareness."

Nodding again, Rachel seemed to be finally finding her footing. "Is it true then that you know which of the younger Adams will eventually be at the top?"

"Know is a strong word," hedged Geo, but following a glare from Lilith, he allowed, "but we have a pretty good idea. The problem is that unexpected things happen in training."

"What if we let one of them try? Would any of the younger ones actually have a chance of winning?" Rachel asked, her voice warming.

Geo sat back in his chair and folded his arms, but he didn't seem defensive; instead, he seemed to be considering the question intently. "Well, I don't think their chances would be that much worse."

Rachel turned back to Lilith. "I think that's the answer I was trying to find. We're changing the way we train; maybe it's time to modify the way we approach our Adam pool, too."

Running his hands through his hair, Geo looked up at the ceiling. After half a hundred beats, he looked to Lilith, then Rachel. "It's a good idea, and not nearly as risky to the program as sending Stash, but we're probably talking about sacrificing a promising Adam. If we go this way, I think we have to send the best young talent we have; otherwise, we might as well stick with the most conservative plan."

"And which of the young Adams would you choose?" Lilith asked.

"Mars."

The Adam being discussed was, at the time of the debate, finishing his warm-up with Pip. Mars' form was no longer offensive to observe, but his movements had not yet acquired the same fluidity as Pip's motions.

"You're getting better."

Mars nodded. "I can feel it. The key is the transitions, isn't it?"

Pip was thoughtful for a moment before he answered. "For the kata, definitely; maybe in the Arena, too, although I hadn't really thought about it that way."

"Sorry, Pip, I lost the thread," said Mars, putting his hands on his hips and cocking his head. "I was just talking about how I realized the movement between poses is just as important as the positions themselves; what do you mean about the Arena?"

"Just a passing thought," Pip responded. "Tell me something: why do you think I won so many matches?"

"Trick question?" the younger Adam asked, to which Pip shook his head. "In that case, the answer's obvious: you're faster than anybody else."

Pip accepted the response with a shrug, but wasn't entirely satisfied. "That's definitely a big part, but there's more to it. A second piece would be that I can hit harder than anybody else." Mars' expression showed his skepticism, but Pip waved it away, saying, "We can debate that later.

"I was thinking about what you said about transitions. John thought I could process information faster than other people, which means I see what's happening and then react, so I'm never surprised. Loren could do it, too."

"Okay..."

"So what if you and the other Adams could do the same thing?"

Mars allowed his arms to drop to his side,his face a mask of consternation. "Pip, I know I'm pretty dense sometimes -- most of the time, probably -- but we've tried. I just can't use the Effect like you can."

"Yeah, sorry -- that's not what I meant. I'm stuck on this idea of transitions being important. If we could find a way so that you could see the small differences in the way opponents string together punches or kicks, like I can, you could react more quickly, like I do." Mars indicated he still wasn't following with a shake of his head.

Sighing, Pip tried again. "Maybe we can try a demonstration. Since I'm still recovering, let's not try to really beat on each other yet, but I want you to try to touch me in the head, neck, or chest -- anywhere you can, actually -- feel free to smack me, if you like."

'Oh, come on,' said Mars' expression, then he remembered who was standing in front of him and his demeanor changed from annoyance to caution.

Now Pip rolled his eyes. "We're not really going to fight. I just want to prove a point, because I have an idea forming, but unless you buy in, it's not going to work. So, try to smack me," said Pip with smirk.

Still wary, Mars assumed a fighting stance, his right foot forward while Pip stood neutrally, shoulders relaxed and hands raised slightly. The first attempt from Mars was tentative and Pip smacked it away almost effortlessly, barely slowing time at all; he was pleased that the pain in his head did not come.

A second attempt arrived, cautious like the first, and Pip rewarded Mars by slapping him harshly on the inside of the exposed wrist. Mars hopped backward, staring down at his reddening forearm in something akin to disbelief. "I barely saw you move."

"I barely had to," Pip replied with irritation. "Listen, if this is going to work, you need to stop acting like I'm going to tear your arm off.

"Let's try this: think of your favorite combination, something like four or five strikes, and throw it at me. My head isn't hurting so far, so if you want to go full force, feel free."

Mars looked at Pip, taking his measure, but the lead Adam's face was serious, resolution evident. Standing up to his full height, Mars cracked his neck one way and then the other, then did the same for both hands. Nodding -- mostly to himself -- he stepped forward aggressively.

Pip squeezed the Effect, rapidly progressing until the pain became significant; he was pleased to see that Mars was moving at something less than half speed, so that even as the first punch came -- an overhand right -- a smile was forming on Pip's face, despite the blossoming headache. Pip redirected the punch with a nudge, then did the same for the follow-up, another right. A feinted elbow was the third movement, followed by a left hook and a knee from the same side. Pip avoided this last strike with a side step, then slipped his own right foot forward and kicked the back of Mars' plant leg just behind the knee. The giant Adam collapsed backward slowly, eyes opening in surprise, as Pip grabbed the near arm to soften the fall.

Even so, Mars hit the sand flat on his back, causing his breath to rush out.

Pip gave him a moment, then offered a hand to help the bigger man stand back up. "That elbow was really clever: I haven't see that before."

Mars nodded as he worked to regain his breath. "I usually do a stomp at the end toward the shin if my knee doesn't connect, but I didn't get a chance." He looked directly down into Pip's face. "I'm never going to beat you, am I?"

"It's not me we need worry about you beating," replied Pip immediately. "You'll wind up in the Arena eventually, and you have the physical skills to be successful, but it feels like you can get a lot better."

"So what do we do?"

"Well, remember that we were talking about transitions? When you went from the right to the elbow, I saw your shoulder drop so I expected the strike like you wanted me to, but I also saw you shift your weight to the right instead of the left, so the knee didn't surprise me. The transition of weight, of tension, told me what you were going to do before it happened, and that's the point.

"If we can teach you how to spot those subtle shifts, I think you'll be a match for anybody."

"Even you?" asked Mars with a quirk of his eyebrow.

Pip smirked again, and instead of answering, flicked his chin toward the group of people that had entered the training yard, Geoff Humbolt leading the pack.

"What'd you do this time?"

"Nothing that I know of -- maybe they're here for you," Pip replied.

Mars let out a short laugh and shook his head. "Not likely."

Geo gave a short wave as he approached. "Mars. Pip. Everything good?" The two Adams shared a look at Mars' name being mentioned first and Pip folded his arms smugly.

"Yes, sir," Mars responded, "just getting in some training."

"Sparring?"

"Not really. Pip was just showing me how far I still have to go."

"Putting you in your place, was he?" the director asked rhetorically, looking between the two.

"It's not so bad as that," Pip responded. "Mars has more to learn, but it's all fine details. He already has the technique, strength, and size. It won't be long until he hears the bells ringing and crowds cheering for him," Pip stated confidently.

"Funny you should say that, Pip," Geo responded, but his face indicated there was nothing humorous about what he was thinking. "A bit prophetic, too. Mars," he continued, addressing the larger Adam, "you're next up."

The director gave the two Adams several moments to process the statement before stepping aside. "Mars, this is Jim Briggs, one of the best trainers we have. He worked with Rover for years, and before him, Max, whom I'm sure you've heard about." Trainer Briggs was tall and lithe with short cropped gray hair and a matching beard.

"Good to meet you, Mars," the man said, offering a hand, which the Adam promptly shook.