After the Second Fall Pt. 03.1

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"To be fair, I never actually thought he was the right fit," countered Baker. "I don't like how ambitious he is: from what I've seen, he's willing to accept unnecessary risk to achieve goals." Lilith took in a breath to interject a thought, but Baker waved it away before she could voice it. "Yes, risk is unavoidable, and yes, pushing hard is good for development. It's the 'unnecessary' part that bothers me because in a couple cases his work came across as slipshod. For all of his faults, at least Jacobs was a meticulous bastard."

"And you think this corner cutting is a big problem?"

Baker nodded immediately, his face serious.

"By all accounts," Lilith responded slowly, "he's a brilliant man capable or achieving positive results, but I understand your reticence. My proposal is this: Wilkens will be offered the R&D Director position, reporting to you, Director Baker. He will not have a seat on the Council, at least for now. If he develops under your tutelage, then we can revisit the topic in several years. Your thoughts?" Baker's face scrunched a little, but he nodded his head soon enough, causing Lilith to grin. "Think of it as a growth opportunity for you both," she added, but Baker just rolled his eyes.

"So," Lilith continued, "with the anticipated addition of Ms. Rausch, that will bring the Council back up to five managing directors, which is a good step. We still need to find a Director of Strategy so that Director Humbolt can focus on Personnel measures, but it sounds like this could become less vital if Gracia does reach out."

"Director Collins, if I could make a suggestion?" said Geo, raising a finger. "I hadn't thought of it before, but I like the setup proposed for R&D, and I think it could work for Strategy as well."

"So promote someone to Director and have them report to you?" Lilith asked for clarification; Geo nodded in response. "It sounds reasonable. I take it you have someone in mind?"

"I do," he answered. "My senior manager does a good job keeping things running, but he lacks the vision to set a clear direction. I was thinking of Gina Lewis. I'm confident she has her own ideas on where to go, plus she knows the operational side of what we do, which will tie in well. In time, she would be able to succeed me on the Council."

Lilith looked to the other directors: Baker shrugged while Rachel nodded. "Well, this turned out to be more productive than I anticipated. Director Baker, you will talk with Mr. Wilkens, and Director Humbolt, you will speak with Ms. Lewis -- correct?" Both men nodded and Lilith smiled. "Good. If there's nothing else... meeting adjourned."

Rachel left the Council room feeling almost care free as she headed toward the Courtyard where she was most likely to find Pip. It had taken some time, but she would finally be able to move to the Vale, which would significantly increase how much she could see Pip and the others.

Coming to the final corner, Rachel coasted to a stop, just clearing the wall to see into the open space beyond. As she had anticipated -- feared? -- Pip and Annora were talking while sitting in the grass together.

Rachel let out a frustrated sigh, feeling upset with herself for the continuing feelings of jealousy.

She had been right that Annora and Rover had taken to one another, but their relationship was limited to physical comfort, probably because neither had significant depth to their personalities. Meanwhile, Annora continued to cling to Pip for emotional support, including sleeping next to him every night.

Another sigh.

Maybe the situation would resolve itself when she moved to the Vale. Pip had held off going back since Annora's arrival, and it still hadn't been determined what the newcomer would do when he did. Rover had no interest in rural living, so it was likely Annora would need to make a decision. At least her choice would tell Rachel more about the Mod.

One final sigh and Rachel turned the corner, trying to project confidence she didn't feel by holding her head up and walking unhurriedly toward the much larger pair.

"Hi, Rach," Pip said easily. "Productive meeting?"

"Yes, with some good news: we selected my replacement, so I will be going with you back to the Vale."

Pip smiled broadly and rose, gathering Rachel into her arms and swinging her around unexpectedly. When he set her down again, her smile was unforced and she leaned into him. "Thanks, Pip."

"You're welcome. I know things have been hard on you, and I'm sorry for making it that way, but I think it will work out soon." Rachel pulled back so she could see his face and gave Pip a curious look. "Annora and I have been talking, and she's going back to Marbelo."

"I..."

"It's not as extreme as it sounds. With the new agreement in place, conditions at their compound should improve, and Annora can help push for some of the things she's seen here, maybe make a difference."

Rachel turned to Annora. "You want to go back?"

"Not really," she replied demurely, "but Pip thinks it is the right thing to do. If it doesn't get better, I will come back."

"Did you already talk with Lilith?" Rachel asked Pip, but the big man shook his head.

"I wanted to try the idea out on you first. Think about it, Rach: she can help push change from the inside, which the city leaders won't be able to do. Plus, it will resolve some of the tension here."

Rachel flushed, but didn't say anything and pointedly looked away.

"In four days there is another Arena match with Marbelo. It should be a formality, and if so, Annora can ride back with them."

Thinking through different implications, Rachel saw there was logic to the idea, and definitely appreciated that Pip had recognized her inner turmoil. She felt guilty about sending the poor girl away, and yet, not enough to fight against the plan. "I'll talk with Lilith about it."

Nodding, Pip added, "Please ask her, or Director Humbolt, I guess, to schedule someone else for the match. I don't want to go through the uncertainty of looking across at an opponent and not knowing what to do. It should be no problem, but..."

"I understand, and I don't think it will be. Would you recommend Mars?"

Pip shook his head. "I think he'll struggle, the same as I am. I would send Rover."

After several beats, Rachel nodded. "It's morbid of me to say so, but that would protect our interests if there is some sort of betrayal."

"And it would give him another chance to ride back through the city and hear the cheers. I'll just tell the driver to hang the flag so long as Rover comes out on his own, win or draw."

Rachel nodded again and looked to Annora. "I haven't been kind to you, and I'm sorry."

The bigger woman gave her a confused look. "I don't understand. You've been very nice."

"Maybe, but it's because of me that you're going back to Marbelo." Annora's visage showed that she still didn't understand. "Would you like to take a walk with me?"

The younger woman's face brightened and she nodded enthusiastically, so Rachel reached out her hand, and with Pip's help, pulled her to stand. Both women offered smiles to Pip, then Rachel led Annora off, not further into the Courtyard, but back from where she had come.

They walked side by side without speaking much, and yet it wasn't awkward, because Annora seemed perfectly content to simply be spending time with somebody.

When they reached the Council Room, Rachel explained -- in general terms -- how the Complex was run. She could tell that Annora wasn't fully following the explanation, but at specific moments her face would register understanding, so Rachel was quick to build on those points. "Do you have any questions?" Rachel asked after a little less than a quarter bell.

"I don't want to be stupid."

The statement was said sincerely, sadly, and without preface, and it shook Rachel badly. She sat down in the chair against which she had been leaning and gestured for Annora to do the same in one of the large chairs Adams used; instead, the bigger woman sat on the floor so that they were roughly at eye level.

"I don't want to be stupid," Annora repeated.

"I understand," replied Rachel quietly. "Am I treating you that way?"

Annora shook her head as she worked out how to express herself. "When you and Pip talk, I don't understand what everything means. I want to... to be able to... make..." she broke off in frustration. "It's hard for me to explain."

Rachel reached out her hand and placed it on Annora's shoulder, rubbing gently. "What is it like when you talk with Rover?"

"We don't talk much. He's nice, like the Mods in the compound."

"Did you ever have any lessons at the compound?"

"I don't cook well, and sewing is hard. I clean okay, but I always forget things, like how to make the beds."

Letting out a long breath, Rachel said, "I think you probably have trouble learning, but that doesn't make you stupid. What it means is that your mind works differently than most other people. Do you understand that?"

The Mod -- no, the Eve -- nodded, but it seemed too eager to Rachel, so she changed her approach. "Annora, aside from not being stupid, what is it you want?"

"I want... I want..."

Rachel waited a hundred beats, and had just opened her mouth to speak when Annora found her voice.

"I want my female baby to be smart, and I want more female babies."

Nodding slowly and then faster, Rachel replied, "I think we can help with both of those things. For your female baby, your daughter, helping change the compound will help her. Going back and helping the other Mods change will help her. Do you understand?"

"So she'll be smarter than me?"

"It's about having the chance to learn, Annora, and that's what you can help give her, by going back."

Annora nodded vigorously.

"What about other babies -- can you not have them anymore?"

"They put something inside the Mods that are too old. I don't know what it is."

Rachel stood and held out her hand again. "Then let's go talk with our doctor and find out what's going on."

Standing just outside Surgery One, the conversation with Dr. Shepard was surprisingly easy. "I found evidence of an intrauterine device, but it was removed," he explained. "Had it not, it would have shown up on the pre-Match scans and resulted in a forfeiture."

"So there's nothing else to be done?"

The doctor shook his head. "I didn't find anything anomalous, so I would expect that in a month or two her cycles will return to their pre-implant normal."

Rachel thanked the doctor, who departed, and turned to Annora. "Do you know what that means?"

She shook her head.

"In a little while, once your body gets used to having that thing out, you'll be able to get pregnant again."

Annora's eyes widened and her mouth opened in surprise. "Really?"

Happy to be able to give her the good news, Rachel nodded. "Really."

The director turned to lead Annora back toward the Courtyard, then froze as a realization hit her. Her thoughts dashed rapidly between alternate tracks, playing out scenarios one after another. In a dozen beats, her conclusion was clear and she closed her eyes briefly while letting out a sigh. "Annora, you'll need to stay here a little longer. I hope that's okay?"

The woman's smile faltered. "I don't understand. I want to make the compound better for my... daw-ter," she replied, trying out the unfamiliar word.

"You still can, but I'm afraid they'll put another implant back in if you go back too soon. Do you understand."

Maybe it was because the issue was so close to her heart, but this time it was immediately apparent that Annora had followed the reasoning. "Yes."

Chapter 4

Rachel was having a hard time sitting still as they finally approached the Vale. Almost a full month had passed since she had been home, since she had seen Pip.

She focused on each of her anxieties, then pushed them away one-by-one as destructive and self-indulgent.

First, the Vale was still there, as it had been for decades.

Second, nothing had happened to Pip or any of the girls.

Third, and most importantly, Pip had not forgotten her.

Rachel closed her eyes tightly and let out a long breath; when she looked up again, her assistant, Esther, reached out and patted her leg with a sympathetic smile.

It wasn't another quarter bell and the transport slowed. The vehicle hadn't been stopped more than two beats before the rear doors were thrown wide, revealing Pip smiling in at them. Rachel didn't even think before taking two steps and throwing herself at Pip, who caught her easily, clutching her close.

"I missed you," he said softly into her ear, at which she nodded vigorously, pulling herself more tightly into his chest.

He walked her to the Main Hall where the others were waiting so that Rachel could update everyone at once. Before entering, she took a moment to look around at the center of the village.

The central fountain was flowing, like always, and the courtyard was clean of trash or other debris, save for a partially unloaded produce cart hooked to a derelict yet somehow functional tractor; there weren't any idle people, but that was to be expected given the time of day. She nodded, glad to see that things hadn't missed a beat in her absence, and maybe just a little sad at the thought.

Upon entering the hall, she was greeted warmly, and physically, by several women in quick succession.

Always the most affectionate, Maggie squealed and ran to her, wrapping her in a hug before planting a thorough kiss on her lips. Rachel grinned at the buxom brunette with the perfect smile, feeling warmer at being the focus of her attention.

Rosie came next, embracing her tightly, then kissed her cheek. "We missed you." Rachel nodded and fought to keep the presently forming tears in her eyes by blinking rapidly.

Anne hadn't come over to hug her -- probably because the two were still feeling each other out to some extent -- but she smiled and signed, 'We are glad you are home.' The town's Speaker was a strong woman, both in body and character, and the genuine emotion on her face broke down Rachel's tenuous hold on her emotions so that twin tears raced one another down her cheeks.

'Thank you,' she signed back, glad she didn't need to find her voice.

Wiping the tracks away, Rachel waved to or otherwise acknowledged more people in the hall before sitting down at Anne's right hand at the central table. 'Sorry for becoming emotional. It was harder being away than I expected.'

'I understand,' Anne replied. 'Do you want to provide an update, or should we wait until tomorrow?'

'Now is fine,' answered Rachel. 'Should I stand on a table?'

'Or you can sit on Pip's shoulders,' the Speaker suggested, causing Rachel to raise an eyebrow; she almost detected a smirk on the normally serious woman's face.

Rachel climbed onto the table as gracefully as she could manage, glad when Pip moved over to stand by her, just in case she lost her balance. The roughly two dozen people in the room -- most senior of the villagers -- moved around so they could see her, their faces showing a mixture of anticipation and uneasiness.

'My name is R-A-C-H-E-L,' she signed, spelling out her name for the people she didn't know. 'I am the Complex's representative to the Vale, but just as importantly, I am your advocate with the Complex.' Rachel looked down at Anne. 'L-I-L-I-T-H C-O-L-L-I-N-S, the Executive Director, sends her best wishes to the Vale and its Speaker.' Anne nodded graciously and bowed her head.

'Much has happened in the last month that will impact the Vale,' Rachel continued. 'As you all know by now, female giants exist, and they will be coming to Rieckenburg; they will be coming to the Vale.'

Rachel hadn't expected the statement to cause a stir, given that Annora had briefly visited the Vale on her initial escape from Marbelo, but apparently her presence had not been widely communicated. Consequently, there was much talking and rapid signing among the assembly. Rachel looked down to Anne with an apologetic look, but the Speaker shook it off and rose to her feet; she was so tall that she didn't need to stand on the table to be seen.

Anne smacked the tabletop twice and the villagers turned to her at the sound; she started signing. 'This is the reason I asked you to come tonight. Female giants -- they are called E-V-E-S -- will bring big changes to the world, once their presence is more widely known, and the center of this change will be the Vale.'

The murmur was louder this time, although Anne couldn't hear it. She gave the gathered people a hundred beats to vent their immediate angst, than slapped the table again.

'We are uniquely capable of determining how giants and people can live together, since we have been doing just that for a long time. There will be unexpected challenges and consequences with this new reality, but I am confident that we will successfully overcome them to become the model for the rest of the world.

'I understand there is anxiety and even fear at being left behind, at being made obsolete by physically superior giants, but our entire village was built on cooperation and an appreciation of differences. We must make it possible for people of any size to thrive together, which is why each of you is so important to creating this new reality. Many of you were taught, as I was, that giants are somehow less than us, or unduly prone to violence. Think about the last half year, about the giants from the Complex and how they have returned the Vale to prosperity through countless hours in the fields and elsewhere. Now consider a future in which the Vale is self-sufficient again.'

Anne paused to let the statement take hold; it was made more effective by the towering presence that Pip was, standing less than a pace away. All of the villagers had seen the work that he and the other Adams had done, but there were still prejudices in place from the previous Speaker's tenure, during which the so-called giants had been driven away or sold into various kinds of servitude to neighboring towns.

"What if we don't want them here -- what then?" challenged a late-thirties man in the back. He was slightly less than medium height, with brown hair and a heavy brow; his shoulders were broad and his back strong from thousands of hours of manual labor, but there was nothing else particularly remarkable about him.

'This is the wrong attitude, Patrick,' reprimanded Anne, using her expression to communicate displeasure. 'The question should be: how do we best deal with the changes they will bring? If you do not believe you can adapt, then you will need to consider if the Vale should still be your home.'

"My family founded the Vale!" he shouted angrily. "What right do you have to force me to leave?"

Anne's visage grew even more stern as she squared her shoulders to face him directly. 'Many men and women descended from the original founders are no longer here,' she reminded him. 'If you would like to join the ones that are still alive at the work farms, you are welcome to do so. 'The Vale will no longer be a place of hatred and division. If you try to make it so, I will see that you are relocated.'

She softened her look. 'As one of the most senior, you carry significant influence. As you said, your family has been here since the beginning, and you have contributed personally to the success of the Vale. Therefore, it is vital that you support the common message, which will be one of welcome. However, if you have concerns, this is the right forum to voice them, but there will be no more bigotry or hateful comments.' She paused, still staring at the man. 'Do you have a question or relevant comment?'

The man narrowed his eyes, then stood and stormed out of the hall, slamming the door as he left.

Anne looked to two of the other men in the room. 'Richard, Roger, please go after him. Calm him down if you can. At the very least, make sure he does not spread false information or scare people.'