After the Second Fall Pt. 03.3

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What did the doctors say?" Esther asked as she sat down at the table.

And suddenly her internal conflict was washed away, replaced by exuberance. "I almost forgot!" she enthused, wearing one of her rare smiles. "They told me they can fix my teeth. Well, not my teeth, but they can give me new false teeth that I can take in and out. Plus, while they're doing it, they're going to fix my other teeth, especially the one that always hurts."

"Good," Esther responded happily. "What about the rest?"

The smaller woman's face fell. "Well, my arm and leg aren't quite so easy, I guess." Mathilda relocated a bite of something from her plate to her mouth without identifying it, and began chewing mechanically. Across the table Esther watched her, confused at the sudden turn.

After a hundred beats, Esther put her fork down. "Tilly, talk to me. What did they say?"

Coming back to herself a bit, Tilly looked up again. "They think they can fix my leg..."

"And?" Esther prompted after waiting another half a hundred beats.

Tilly looked down. "They say it will take a long time to heal. My bone didn't sit properly, whatever that means, so they need to break it and then let it heal again the right way. The doctor told me I won't be able to leave bed for at least two months, and then I will need to learn how to walk again, which will take even longer."

"That's great news," replied Esther enthusiastically. "I was afraid there wasn't anything they could do. Why are you so upset about it?"

There was a long pause. "Because I don't want you to go on without me, and I know you can't stay here that long if you're going to find Piper."

Whatever Esther might have said in response died on her lips.

"My arm is kind of the same: it will take a long time to get better," Mathilda continued in a monotone. "They told me something I didn't understand about a pig tendend, or tinend, or something like that... I don't know. They think I'll be able to use my arm again, mostly like before."

"But it will be months."

Mathilda nodded. "Maybe a lot of months. I wasn't even going to tell you about it. I figured getting my teeth fixed would be good enough."

"And you're afraid that I'll leave?"

The smaller woman nodded again and Esther took a deep breath, then let it out slowly. "Let's not worry about it tonight. I'd like to talk with the mayor tomorrow, and maybe the doctors, then we can figure out what to do."

"We?" Mathilda asked tentatively, her eyes raising just enough to look at her table mate.

"Of course," Esther answered with a nod. Mathilda lifted her head, her face lighting up, not recognizing -- or not caring -- that Esther's answering smile was forced.

Chapter 20

"So you're leaving then?"

Esther rolled her eyes. "You've been very accommodating, but like I told you, Carlos, I'm not interested in a relationship with you."

"No, no, of course not," Mayor Harryx responded immediately. "That's not what was on my mind at all."

"Knock it off. Anytime you lie to me your voice takes on this... fake quality. It makes my skin crawl."

Harryx paused his rebuttal. "Every time?" Esther nodded. "Huh. If that's true, I wonder why nobody else has caught on."

"Because that's how you are all the time with them. When it's only us, you drop that awful facade and just talk with me."

"And that's better?"

"Much better," Esther confirmed. "But," she added hastily, seeing Harryx start to puff up, "not so much that I'm interested in a personal encounter."

"Sure, sure, but what about an impersonal encounter?" he asked with a grin.

"I don't know what that means, nor do I want to know.

"The main point I was making is that Tilly still has weeks to recuperate and I'm feeling trapped. I can't stay holed up in this room, no matter how nice it is."

"But you're worried about her," Harryx supplied, to which Esther nodded. "She'll be fine here. If you like, I can even stop in an check on her every week or two."

"Thank you, but it's not the healing part -- the doctors can take care of that. I keep coming back to how hurt she would be if I go on without her, especially when she doesn't know anybody here, and was just alone where she came from."

Nodding his understanding, the mayor crossed to the window and stared at the water, considering something for several hundred beats. "If I could get the Judges to reconsider so that you could leave this apartment, would that be enough?"

"Move around freely?"

Harryx's answering smile was embarrassed. "Probably not. I told you that our culture is well established, for better and worse. I was thinking escorted walks at night." He paused for a moment. "And wearing a cloak of some kind."

The look that Esther offered to him was not kind.

"I'm trying, really I am. Would it be so terrible? At least you would be able to get some fresh air, and I am an excellent guide: I know nearly everything about our city."

Esther listened for the mayor's voice to betray some indication that he was lying, but it appeared the man might actually be telling the truth. After a pregnant pause, she nodded, then joined him at the window to stare out at the unceasing river.

Late the next day, as the sky gave up the last of its purple shades, Harryx returned. With him came two soldiers dressed in their full regalia, complete with swords at their hips. "Our escort," he offered, once again embarrassed, "and your cloak," he finished, holding out a neatly folded garment of deepest black.

Knowing that getting permission for her to leave confinement had probably cost him considerable political clout, Esther did her best to smile graciously; she knew she hadn't quite succeeded, but hopefully the mayor could see that she had at least made an effort.

The required habiliment had a deep hood and was made from finely spun wool, with a delicate silver chain and beautifully detailed clasp to hold it closed. Esther held it up and admired the obviously excellent craftsmanship, her opinion of the situation improving. She spared a look to the mayor and then another for the guards, and with a neat flick of her wrists flared the cloak out in front of her and then around her shoulders, raising the hood with a last deft motion, leaving only the lower portion of her face -- and its smirk -- still showing. "You're staring, Carlos."

"Yes I am," he replied shamelessly. "I don't believe I've ever seen anything quite like that, and you were just putting on a cloak."

"It's even more impressive when I take my clothes off," she responded cheekily, turning toward the door. "Shall we?"

Harryx looked to the guards, one of which had turned a red shade, much like himself; 'The other one must be deaf,' thought the mayor. 'And blind. I wonder how he keeps from walking into things.'

It turned out the second guard led the way on their predetermined tour route, and Harryx thought he did a remarkable job of keeping himself within the designated walking paths given his handicaps. The notion was fleeting, however, as nearly all of the mayor's processing capacity was spent on Esther.

The tour took them first to the city market, where vendors had largely closed up for the day. After a little wheedling and an exchange of coin, Harryx handed Esther a hunk of bread from a rotund baker in a striped apron; the crust was too tough to easily eat after sitting out all day, but the inside was delicious, easily the best Esther had ever enjoyed. Next came a honeyed apple on a stick -- one of the tart green ones -- which was also a new experience for the woman from the Vale.

As they walked and snacked, Carlos Harryx told stories about his city, ranging from mundane to exciting, and from terrible to triumphant.

The river was beautiful under the stars, reflecting the regularly spaced street lights and the more random illumination from the tightly packed buildings. One bell turned into two, and then became a third before the quartet finally returned to Esther's room. "Thank you, Carlos," she offered sincerely.

"Again tomorrow?" he asked, trying not to appear overly keen.

"I would like that."

He smiled, nodded, and with a final longing look, turned away from the door, flanked by the two soldiers. As they moved off down the street, Harryx's voice drifted back to Esther, just audible through the open window. "Are you completely blind, or just mostly blind?"

Shaking her head and smiling at the odd statement, as well as the accompanying laugh from one of the guards, Esther moved toward her bed.

The next day rained heavily so Harryx came prepared with a different cloak, this one made from oilskin, which did a remarkable job of keeping her dry. The noise of raindrops hitting her hood made it too difficult to converse, but Esther enjoyed the walk nonetheless.

Surprisingly, or perhaps not, it was on the third day that the situation became untenable. Street vendors are naturally prone to talk amongst themselves, at least in Marbelo, and a sizeable contingent were waiting for the mayor as the quartet once again took their nightly stroll.

"Keep walking and keep your cowl down," Harryx said urgently out the side of his mouth; In acknowledgement, Esther dipped her head forward, her face now completely obscured by the hood.

"Hello, Mayor," called the striped baker jovially. "I set aside another loaf for your friend." The two women selling flowers laughed, as did several others, but there was a nervousness present in the small assembly.

"Thank you kindly, Mr. Fortuna, but I thought we might sample some of Mr. Annolisa's products this evening," Harryx answered with a nod to the meat merchant, whose eyes widened momentarily.

"Of course, Your Honor," responded the man in question. "I'm afraid I'm outta most of me stock so late in the day, but I do still have a rather fine salami, and if you talk with Frida -- that would be the cheese maker, Sir -- I'm certain she can set ya up with a nice chedda or some such to pair it wit."

Harryx nodded with a practiced smile and soon had both items in hand. It was as they departed the square that the first challenge came, anonymously, as it were. "Whose unda da cloak?"

The mayor pivoted and found that a couple dozen people had followed them. "What business is it of yours, Mr. Rider?"

"Da wasna me, Your Honor," the addressed man shot back while turning white.

After giving the man a hard stare for several beats, he turned to look at Esther, then back to his constituents. "Well, if you keep it to yourselves," he said with a conspiratorial glance around, "I guess I can tell you." His words were received with solemn nods, although none of the onlookers had any intention of doing so.

"This is my guest, a representative from Rieckenburg, here to learn about our city."

"Is it a Mod?" someone asked fearfully, only to be argued over immediately.

"Can't be a Mod -- too small."

"Too small? Look at the size of 'em. He's likely to tear yer arm off if you call 'em too small again."

"Now just you wait," another voice added. "I seen a Mod when I was a kid --"

Suddenly several conversations were going at once, a couple bordering on arguments. The din grew and Harryx had to fight back a smile as he turned back to his companions.

Like a bell, one question cut through the noise, shouted from a young throat. "Do you know the Reaper?"

Esther paused in mid stride, nodded her head once, then continued on; the conversations grew more animated.

Back at her apartment, Esther sat thoughtfully chewing on the procured foodstuffs. The cheese was lackluster, but the meat was top notch; she did wish they would have purchased some bread.

"How is your friend?"

"Good, thanks," she answered automatically. "The surgery on her arm was today and I got a message just before you came that it went well." She paused. "I would imagine you already knew that, though."

Harryx shrugged and chose not to answer. "Have you made up your mind then?"

There was a pause, then Esther shook her head. "I assume the thing tonight at the market means we won't be able to go out anymore?"

"Well..." the mayor started, but he was quickly waved off.

"Never mind. I know I'm already putting you in a bad position."

After a moment's hesitation, Harryx shrugged again and Esther sat back heavily in her chair.

"Did you know I grew up on a farm? The best in Rieckenburg, actually. Hard work and open spaces." She paused and shook her head. "Now I'm stuck inside, every day, sitting on my rear. I can't stay here, not if it's going to be like this."

Nodding, Harryx rose to his feet. "Give me one more day."

Without further explanation he turned abruptly and left, foregoing his usual parting glance. Still at the table, Esther sighed dejectedly and took another bite of cheese.

When the Mayor knocked on the apartment door the next day, it was obvious he was excited. Rather than the respectful tap-tap-tap Esther has become accustomed to, there was an impatient series of thumps. "Come in."

The door popped open and Harryx entered with several quick steps, his face stretched by a wide smile. "I did it -- I got them to agree that you don't have to stay hidden away anymore."

Esther sat up and stared at the smaller man, her eyebrow slowly raising. "Really -- how did you do that?"

"Not important," he replied with a dismissive gesture. "What is important is that now I can show you off."

Esther folded her arms, looking far from convinced.

"You know what I mean," he backpedaled. "Now we -- er, you -- can actually explore the city. You don't even need to stay on that same path we kept taking."

"By myself?"

"Good Lord!" Harryx exclaimed, looking upward and holding his hands wide theatrically before returning to her again. "There is a limit to the number of miracles I can produce."

Her reply was provided in the form of a raised eyebrow, but it didn't deter him. Walking quickly to where she was sitting, Harryx reached out a hand. "Let's go."

"Right now? It's not even Noon."

"I know. Let's go down to the market and pick something out."

She stared at him for a long moment, then stood and walked to a rack by the door where she picked up and then donned her wool cloak. "After you." Harryx was obviously confused, especially when Esther pulled up her hood, but Harryx refused to be dissuaded and stepped through the door, more bounce in his step than typical. More surprisingly, however, was that the ever-present guards did not accompany them as they walked away.

The Mayor's ebullient mood lasted the entire way to the square, which was significantly busier than any of Esther's previous visits; she was glad she could hide behind the anonymity of her hood. The Mayor seemed to be oblivious as he continued talking and gesturing animatedly, leading not to one of the semi-permanent stalls, but instead to a storefront. "This is Micah's restaurant. He gets up early and goes to sleep early, so he closes right after lunch. Any time I'm down here in time I stop by and have a cup of his stew -- I haven't found anything like it in the entire city."

Content for the moment to follow, Esther simply nodded.

The doorway leading into the establishment was taller than most, but only because the lintel had been removed. Inside the appearance was equally slipshod, with half-broken chairs, stained tables, a cracked window, and a rough clientele. Unfazed, Harryx swaggered to the counter, greeting several of the patrons as he did.

A loud back-and-forth broke out between the mayor and the grizzled man behind the counter, their voices escalating rapidly until they were shouting at one another over the price of a bowl of stew. Harryx was trying to pay more than the typical price while the other man kept yelling that he wouldn't accept any coins at all. "Fine!" Harryx yelled at last, putting his coins back into a pocket. "Thanks for the soup!"

"It's stew, you uncultured fop!"

Grinning, Harryx turned around with a bowl of the disputed concoction in each hand, then nodded to a table in the corner.

"That was quite something," Esther said quietly as she sat on a reasonably solid-looking stool.

"Micah is an old acquaintance," he replied, "and a pain in my ass!" he finished with a shout; a one-fingered gesture was delivered in response.

Esther chuckled. "He owes you a favor?"

Harryx shrugged in response, but his mouth did turn up just a little. "Ready to eat?"

"Are you ready for me to put my hood down? People here might have a problem with me."

"I can't wait," Harryx replied gleefully. "It's going to piss Micah off something fierce."

"Because he hates Mods?"

"Because he hates most people, and you're right that the folks in here are going to lose their minds a little bit. It will probably get pretty loud, but if you just keep eating and don't start pounding on anybody, Micah will get things sorted out. Eventually."

The mayor was such a strange mix of contrasts and damn near impossible to figure out. Middle height, middle tone, with the beginnings of a spare patch at the back of his sand colored hair. Not athletic or intimidating or particularly handsome, Esther did allow that he had nice broad shoulders and big forearms, like he hadn't always been a politician, and his face did have its own character that wasn't entirely off-putting. Even so, the fake side of him continued to annoy her to no end; it had only been his natural charisma, currently showing through in the form of a mischievous smile, that had kept her from throwing him out the window on several occasions. She was thinking hyperbolically, of course... probably.

Looking at Harryx, Esther's eyes narrowed and she stood. With a flourish, she whipped off her cloak and dropped it into an empty chair, the exaggerated motion making sure that everyone in the room stopped to look at her. Sitting back down with her own smirk, Esther tasted the stew and was glad to learn that it was every bit as good as her companion had promised, even as the room erupted around her.

Tables toppled, several chairs broke, and Esther kept eating, pointedly ignoring the abrupt chaos. The Mayor was clearly enjoying himself, up to the point that he had to intervene when a drunken patron tried to put his hands on Esther's shoulder. A quick twist of the man's wrist and Harryx was turning him away from their table in an arm lock, sent on his way with a kick on the rump, much to the crowd's amusement.

"About like you expected?" Esther asked loudly.

"More or less," he called back. "A bit more aggressive maybe, but not in a bad way. I think they just want to get a better look at you."

With a nod Esther stood, then turned to the now three dozen or more people that had forced themselves into the space; the pushing and shoving stopped and the noise diminished rapidly. She looked over the crowd to the man behind the counter whose face was very nearly fluorescent with anger. "You're Micah?" she asked seriously, to which the man nodded tersely. She waited a dozen heartbeats. "The soup is excellent."

Esther turned and sat back down without waiting for the man's reaction as howls of laughter and statements of confusion went up from the onlookers; above it all came a stream of invective that she found impressive in both its breadth and creativity. "He has a gift," Esther said to Harryx as she reached for her spoon.

The rest of their meal passed pleasantly, largely because Harryx was incorrect in his assertion that Micah would regain control; the restaurant owner had eventually given up trying to reestablish any sort of order and pushed his way over to the dining couple with his own bowl, which he set down sullenly. "S'not soup," he said, then started eating. Esther made it almost half a dozen beats before she leaned back and laughed, the sound audible above the chorus of voices. Soon others joined in and the entire mood shifted from surprise and agita to excitement and no small amount of wonder.

123456...9