After the Second Fall Pt. 01.1

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I sense a 'but' coming," said Rosie, feeling very apprehensive about what would follow.

Maggie smiled, just a bit, in spite of herself. "But..." Maggie took a deep breath, "Pip was supposed to be mine."

Rosie took a startled half step back, accompanied by an unintentional gasp. "What?"

Maggie took another steadying breath. "All the ladies know that I've been in love with Pip for more than an entire year. It's gotten to the point that they all tease me about it. Ruth said that whenever he enters the pool, I'll be the first one assigned to him."

"You and Pip are in love?" asked Rosie, stricken by what she was hearing; she had to fight to keep her knees from buckling.

"Yes... and no," said Maggie sadly. "We've never really... so listen, this will make more sense. There was this fight between the trainees last year that we all went to watch -- like, all of us. Ruth thought it would be good bonding, or something. Anyway, Pip had a fight, and he was so... so... handsome. And graceful. And... brave? I mean, he lost. He got beat up, but he never backed down. And he hurt the other one, pretty badly I think, before they finally stopped it. It was amazing."

"So you took care of him after the fight?"

"What? No, of course not," Maggie snapped, causing Rosie to flinch. "Oh, Rosie, I'm so sorry. I forgot that you're still learning. We only help the pool Adams. The less experienced ones go to Medical for treatment and that's it. The handlers don't worry about their comfort. I guess it makes them tougher, or meaner, or something like that.

"No, I just saw him, and I fell in love."

Rosie took this in, turned it around, and considered it from different angles, but still wasn't understanding. "So, you were with him another time?"

"Not exactly," replied Maggie, now embarrassed. "I've seen him around a lot, and I said 'hi' twice, but I think he only heard me once. But there was this one time where he looked at me across the courtyard, and he smiled..."

"Seriously? How can you possibly be in love with someone you've never even talked with?" asked Rosie, dumbfounded.

"Don't you dare judge me, Rosie," barked Maggie. "You don't know what it's like here yet. We're around people all the time -- the ladies, the Adams -- but it's so lonely. I saw him and I knew -- I know -- that he could be the one for me. So I was going to get first shot at him, to at least find out, and if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. Rosie, I want a shot at what Ruth has: I want somebody who cherishes me.

"But then his handler shows up and demands you go to his room right away..."

Rosie nodded. "I understand, or at least I'm beginning to. What can I do?"

"I'm not sure. The Adams choose who sees them, which is why I wanted to be first. When are you going back to see him?"

"Tomorrow, midday. He and John are working on the... a new training plan. It's going to be taking up most of his time leading up to the fight."

"He's fighting? Like a real fight?"

"Yeah, I guess. One of the pool Adams, but I don't know who."

Maggie's eyes went wide and her hand covered her mouth. "My Lord, he'll be killed!"

"It's okay, Maggie," said Rosie with what she hoped was a reassuring smile, "there's --"

"No! It's not okay, Rosie. You don't know what those fights are like. He's so much smaller than the other Adams. It's not fair! It's not fair..." Whatever else Maggie said was lost into Rosie's shoulder as the young woman gathered her friend in a tight embrace, ignoring the stares that resulted from Maggie's outburst.

Rosie whispered soothing words while Maggie sobbed. When Maggie was mostly under control, Rosie raised her lips to her friend's ear and whispered, "There's more to Pip than you know. He'll be fine -- no doubt in my mind."

"Really?" asked Maggie, leaning back to look into Rosie's eyes. "You're not just trying to make me feel better."

"Well, I am trying to make you feel better, but I'm also being honest. Pip will be fine."

Maggie sniffed, wiped her eyes again, and calmed her breathing. "Can you tell me about him?"

Rosie smiled and recounted her unexpected visit with Pip, leaving out everything about the Effect, but otherwise giving a complete account.

"So you were with him for more than two bells, and all you did was kiss?" asked a stunned Maggie.

"No, he touched me all over," said Rosie defensively.

"With or without clothes?" asked Maggie skeptically.

"With, but it was still great. I would have gone further, but he was so sweet, and... innocent. And honestly, I got distracted myself just touching him back. Then John came back and it was over."

Maggie still didn't look convinced, but let it go. "So do you love him?"

"Come on, Maggie. How am I supposed to answer that after meeting him one time?"

"Fine, but you obviously like him a lot."

Rosie shrugged and smiled.

"And you're not going to let me go instead of you next time..."

Rosie shook her head immediately.

Maggie paused, unsure how to proceed. "Could I come with you?"

Rosie's eyes widened. "With me?"

"Yeah," replied Maggie, but her eyes dropped to the floor, afraid to look her friend in the eyes. Working up her courage, she raised her gaze. "Rosie, I know I'm putting you in a terrible position, because I can tell how much you like him, but I have to know if he's the one for me."

Before Rosie could interrupt, Maggie hurried on, "I can be your Second, if that's what you both want. I wouldn't mind at all."

Rosie was having trouble processing the request. If she was honest with herself, she could come to love Pip, but they'd just met. What if Maggie was better for him? The thought caused her chest to tighten, but what if it were true? Pip was special and he deserved the best, even if it wasn't her.

"Okay," said Rosie weakly. "We can go together."

"Really?" whispered Maggie, who had been holding her breath. Rosie nodded and gave her best attempt at a smile.

"Thank you, Rosie!" Maggie almost shouted, wrapping the smaller girl in a heartfelt hug. Rosie squeezed her back, but had tears forming in her eyes. When Maggie ended the hug and pulled back, she saw the conflict. "Oh, Rosie -- it'll be okay -- you'll see," she said, wiping an errant tear with her thumb.

Maggie gave Rosie her most convincing smile, placed her hands on Rosie's cheeks, and gave her a kiss directly on the lips, catching the younger woman by surprise. "Trust me, Honey, it will work out. We'll take really good care of him together." Maggie gave her another smile, a parting squeeze on the shoulder, and walked out of the room.

A short time later, Ruth reappeared at Rosie's side. "Are you alright, Honey?"

"Honestly, Ruth, I'm not sure. But can you tell me something?"

"Sure, Rosie, just ask."

"What's a Second?"

Chapter 7

"What do you think, Max?" John asked.

"No doubt that he's fast: probably among the quickest I've ever seen. I'm not sure it's going to be enough against Ranger." The semi-retired Adam was standing next to Pip's smaller handler, observing Pip as he sparred with a partner.

"Yeah, Ranger's a tough draw for Pip," responded John, "but then again, at that ranking all of them are scary as hell."

"Then why don't you seem concerned? Have some trick that you think will work?"

"No, not a trick, but Pip can move faster than he's showing right now. Interested in seeing it?"

"Faster? I find that hard to believe, so yes, I would definitely be interested in seeing what you're up to."

John nodded and walked over to where the young Adam was engaged with one of the retirees, getting their attention with a short shout. After thanking Pip's partner, John dismissed him and returned with Pip.

"Pip, you know of Max, but I'm not sure you've ever met in person."

"That's right," said Pip, shaking Max's hand. "Good to meet you, Max, I've learned a lot from watching your training fights."

"Glad to hear it, kid. John here tells me you were holding back while you were sparring just now. Is that right?"

Pip gave his handler a questioning look, to which John responded with a nod.

"Yes, sir, I can move a bit faster. For practice, it's better if I match my partner's speed: it helps me to work on mechanics. Otherwise, I find too many openings."

"That right?" asked Max rhetorically. "Sounds like a load of bravado bullshit to me."

"Actually," interjected John, "it will be much easier to see with a demonstration. Still game?"

"Sure. What's the score?"

John quickly explained his idea, which consisted of having himself and Max stand about ten body lengths away from Pip, holding five fist sized rocks each. Pip would face them, holding a wooden staff as long as he was tall. When Pip gave the word, both Max and John would throw the rocks at Pip as quickly as possible.

"So you want me to take it a little easy? Aim at his legs or something?" Max asked.

"Actually, no. I want you to throw the rocks as hard as you want, anywhere you want. Mix it up, if you like -- it will give him more to think about."

Max's eyebrows raised as he walked to the agreed upon spot, knowing that he was easily capable of killing a man with one of the stones he now held. When he looked to the newest Adam, he saw only concentration and poise, without any evident fear.

"Ready?" called John. He and Max both pulled back their arms, ready to throw.

Five heartbeats later, Pip called, "Go!"

Two rocks were immediately on their way toward Pip, quickly followed by the rest. Upon giving his signal, Pip squeezed the Effect and time slowed. Knowing that John's rocks would not have the same force as Max's, he stepped laterally to the smaller man's side, hoping to cause the other's rocks to miss as he moved.

Pip deflected John's first rock, then the second, while Max's first two sailed past. Back in real time, Max saw his target step and adjusted his aim accordingly; additionally, John had decided to aim lower on his third rock, roughly at hip height. Choosing the lesser of two sources of pain, Pip pivoted his bo and deflected Max's rocks while absorbing John's with his left thigh, the pain radiating outward slowly. Now facing Max, Pip stepped backward, allowing John's final rocks to pass just in front of him while easily deflecting Max's last.

Pip let time resume its normal pace, and staggered slightly from the impact of the rock on his thigh. "Ha! Got you," said a clearly delighted John, walking toward Pip. "You okay?" he added, almost as an afterthought.

"Yeah, but it's going to hurt to walk tomorrow."

"No problem -- just have your lady friend in blue give you some attention."

Further banter was interrupted by Max, whose look indicated he was simultaneously astonished and pissed. "How the fuck did you do that?"

John turned to the huge Adam, "Actually, that's something I was hoping you could help us with. I'm also hoping you can help train Pip, because I'm way over my head here. We've been trying this all morning, and that shot to the leg is the first time I've even gotten close to the slippery devil."

"Listen, John -- no one is that fast. I know. I was the best, and I fought the best. I've never seen anyone, Adam or man, move like that. Tell me what is going on."

"I would be happy to, Max," replied John, "but if I do, this stays between us. I mean completely between us. You don't talk about it with Humbolt, or any of the other directors, unless I give you explicit permission. Can you live with that?"

Max stood up to his full, impressive height, and folded his massive arms. "I won't help you cheat. Hidden enhancements, drugs, anything like that -- totally a no-go for me. That ends with dead Adams during training and disqualifications during matches."

"Not a problem: Pip's totally clean. He'll pass any inspection, right Pip?"

"Yes, sir."

"Alright," said Max after some time, "I'm in. What's going on, and what specifically do you want from me?"

John smiled and began his explanation, going through all of the details. "The issue, Max, is that I don't know where to go from here. You saw that I managed to hit Pip with a rock. In a real fight, it's possible that even with this crazy advantage Pip could still get caught, and given his size disadvantage, that could be really bad. I need you to work out how to use this Effect to its fullest potential. What do you think?"

"Hmm..." considered Max, staring off into the distance above John's head with his one good eye. "I'm getting some ideas, but to be honest, I don't really know what is going to work. As far as I know, this is new. I think it's going to be a bit of trial and error, but I'm pretty confident we can make progress.

"Pip, I hope you understand why I was skeptical. Any issue with me being your personal trainer?"

"No, sir," said Pip smiling, "I totally understand. If it wasn't me this was happening to, I would have called bullshit, too."

Max nodded. "Good. John, you'll need to talk with Director Humbolt to get me reassigned to Pip."

"Already done," John replied. "He gave his go-ahead, pending your buy-in."

"Really? I thought you said the director doesn't know."

"He doesn't, at least not really. He knows I think that there's something special about Pip, and he's willing to indulge me."

"Fair enough. I don't suppose you reserved a private training room?"

John smiled. "Only until the fight; after that, everyone's going to know about Pip anyway."

Later, lying in his bed, Pip couldn't help but smile, despite the pain in his leg. After all, workouts meant pain, and pain meant Rosie would be along shortly to take care of him. Pip was thinking back to their encounter, with her laying on his chest and her face tucked into the side of his neck, when the knock came. "Come in," he called.

The door opened and Rosie stepped into the room. "Hi, Pip," she said, but didn't look as excited to be in his room as he had expected.

"Hi, Rosie. Are you okay?"

"Of course," she said, making a show of smiling. "It's just that John told me you'd been hurt, so I... well, I thought I should bring someone with me that knows a bit more about how to fix you up. This is Maggie. She's one of my roommates, and my best friend here."

Maggie stepped into the room, having been waiting for her cue in the hallway. She tried to appear confident, but she was having a hard time keeping her composure. "Hi, Pip," she said with a wave. "Nice to finally meet you for real."

Pip propped himself up on his elbows, looking at his unexpected visitor. Same blue shirt and tan skirt, but different: fuller and darker, but with lovely light eyes. Very, very pretty, made even more so by the blush spreading across her cheeks. Pip realized he'd been staring again. "Hello. Nice to meet you. I've seen you around, haven't I?"

Maggie nodded and looked down, feeling the increasing heat in her face. When Pip looked back to Rosie, it appeared that her smile was forced. He scooted himself to the side of the bed and threw his legs over the side. "Thank you, Rosie, that's very considerate, but I'm okay," he said as he stood up. "I'm a little sore is all," but as he took a step, his left thigh cramped and gave out, causing him to fall to the floor. If it wasn't for his ability to slow time, he would have made a spectacle out of himself; as it was, it looked like he just decided to sit down.

Both of the women looked at him, startled, but when Rosie saw Pip's embarrassed looked, she started giggling. The other two looked at her, taken aback, which made her laugh harder; soon she was sitting on the floor in front of Pip, having lost the ability to stand. Pip couldn't help himself and joined her, while Maggie looked confused. "Are you two always like this?"

"It was... the look... on... his face," Rosie gasped out, pointing at Pip, still laughing. "Did you... see it?"

Pip managed to stop laughing, folded his arms, and gave Rosie a look of mock indignation. Turning to Maggie, "Do you see what she thinks of me? Here I am, beat up, and she's laughing at my pain. What kind of therapy is that?"

Rosie got herself under control, mostly, and crawled over to Pip. "Did I hurt your feelings, my big, strong Adam?"

Pip smiled and pulled Rosie onto his lap, causing her to squeal in surprise. "I think I'll get over it." He kissed her, enjoying the way she relaxed in his arms.

Maggie cleared her throat, reminding the couple that she was still there. "Should I... should I go, Rosie?"

Rosie felt awful, having entirely forgotten that her friend was there. "No, please don't. I'm sorry, Maggie -- I just got carried away. Help me pull this crybaby to his feet and we'll get him back in bed." Given that Pip was so much bigger than his two helpers, this turned out to be easier said than done. Eventually, with laughter and some cursing, Pip was back in bed, lying on his pillow.

"So, maybe a little therapy is actually a good idea," said Pip, having realized during their efforts that he really couldn't put much weight at all on his leg. "What should we do?" Rosie looked to Maggie, hoping the older girl had some idea. Maggie and Pip discussed the injury, and then she disappeared out the door, returning quickly, her hands full.

Handing Pip water from his bedside table, she said, "Take these pills -- they won't do much right now, but will help you feel better tomorrow. Now, I'm going to need you to take off your pants."

"What?" exclaimed Pip and Rosie simultaneously.

"We can't do a lot for a bruise, but we can try to take away some of the pain. I have a chemical pack here that will cool the area down, and then we can think about putting on this salve -- it will keep you numb for a while so that you can sleep."

Pip didn't make a move to obey. "Look, Pip, Rosie and I are professionals -- mostly. This is what we do, so take off your pants and let us help you. Or, if you prefer, we can take your pants off for you..." she said with a suggestive eyebrow raise.

"No, no," he quickly replied, "I can do it." Like the incident on the floor, it actually did take some help for Pip to remove the clothing.

"Holy shit, Pip -- that looks terrible. No wonder you fell over," said Rosie, her eyes wide. "That bruise is as big as a dinner plate."

"Eh," shrugged Pip, "I've had worse. I'll be sore for a few days, but shouldn't have any trouble being ready for the fight."

Rosie didn't look convinced as Maggie prepared the chemical pack, but stayed silent and watched as the preparations got underway. When Maggie was ready, she moved up the bed and held the pack near Pip's leg. "Rosie, I need you to distract Pip -- this is going to hurt quite a bit." Rosie looked at her friend, not sure why it looked like there was a smile tugging at the corner of her mouth; furthermore, Rosie didn't have any idea what 'distract Pip' meant until Maggie mouthed 'kiss him.'

Oblivious, Pip was surprised when a smiling Rosie leaned over him and placed her lips on his. A moment later, pain shot through his leg as Maggie applied the cold compress. When his mouth opened in a surprised groan, Rosie took advantage and deepened their kiss.

Maggie had applied a little more pressure than was strictly necessary. She continued to push, only easing off when Pip forced himself to relax. When the tension finally left his leg, Maggie began to run her free hand up and down his knee. The contrast of the deep ache with the gentle touching caused Pip to moan again. Rosie was thoroughly enjoying herself, exploring Pip's mouth with her lips and his upper chest with her hand.

On Pip's lower half, Maggie gradually became more bold, moving her hand up to his thigh, lightly tracing the outer edge of the bruise. The combination of sensations was something unlike Pip had felt, and he reacted strongly, arching his back slightly while repeatedly tightening and then loosening the muscles in his leg. Even more obvious was the swelling beneath Pip's underwear.

1...345678