Akeldama

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh, silly little fledgling, I was like you when Conner turned me. However, you'll lose that over time when the people you know start to grow old and pass away. You should prepare yourself for that. It's a very hard thing to deal with when you know mortal life is so fleeting," Patience uttered in a warm tone. "I know my eighth year to my hundredth were my most trying of times. That's when you realize you will never change while the world and its people do. Now, when you come to realize that sex is just sex, you'll see that the one you seek will hold far more meaning to you."

"You hungry?" Nico asked, peering at Regan in the rearview mirror.

"Yeah, just wish I knew why this little one is so ravenous," Regan spoke, gazing down at her stomach as her hand rested over it.

"It's most likely due to it being Conner's child," Patience stated, peering around her seat.

"Huh?"

"I've seen Conner drink five people dry before when he's really ravenous."

"But doesn't he get... what was it he called it... blood haze?" Regan asked, thinking back to that night.

"No, he's the only one I know that doesn't. Given that your child is the second pure blood to ever exist and I suspect a Crusnik as well, I doubt he or she will be like anything our world has ever seen, minus the child's father," Patience said with a warm smile on her lips.

"Do the others know about us?" Regan asked curiously.

"No, well, only that we're used as boogeymen to scare other vampires. What predator likes to know that one of their own stalks them while in the midst of their little group," Patience said sinfully, her upper lip lifted, revealing her duel sets of fangs.

"Hey! Yours are curved too!" Regan spoke when her eyes fell on Patience's fangs.

"All of ours are," Nico stated, pulling into a darkened parking lot so he could retrieve a few bags of blood for Regan. He wasn't about to have Conner rip him a new one because he failed to take care of her when he put Regan in their charge. "It's a sign of who our maker is, not that anyone knows about us," he said offhandedly, throwing the column shifter into park.

"How are you feeling? No discomfort?" Patience asked in a concerned tone as she lightly rested the tips of her fingers on Regan's left knee.

"Honestly, I thought being pregnant would be a whole lot more strenuous than this." Feeling the corners of her lips lifting when Patience smiled at her. "Now, if this little one could like stop with the constant feeding every three hours or so, that would be great," she joked.

"It's likely due to its rapid growth," Nico stated when he opened the rear passenger door. "That's the only reason why I can think of as to why you're consuming so much in a day," he said, slyly running his index finger down the back of Regan's hand when she took the bags from him.

"Thanks, you can be sweet when you want to be," Regan teased, knowing he was slyly flirting with her, not that she minded. She was highly intrigued by the thought of the two of them hooking up.

"Don't tell anyone; I have a rep to keep," Nico said with a wink, hearing Patience stifling her giggle.

"Mmm... maybe, if you do something," Regan stated with a flirtatious smile.

"And what might that be?" Nico asked in an amused tone. Leaning into the SUV when Regan beckoned him forward. Feeling Regan's light touch on the bottom of his chin, drawing him closer. He will admit, if only to himself, that he did lose himself in that kiss, she planted on his lips.

"Mmmhmm, not bad for an old man," Regan teased, dragging her lower lip along her teeth, savoring the taste of Nico upon it.

"Then I'm glad you're pleased with the embrace," Nico spoke, putting on airs. "Don't worry, we'll get there before the sun comes up," he whispered low when he noted how her eyes glanced to her right and to the sky. Even when it was still dark, they could still feel the approaching sun. "Worry not, I made a promise to Conner, and I aim to keep it," Nico said in a caring voice. Knowing if she was like him when he was Conner's fledgling, the sun was the one thing he constantly feared. He had seen enough vampires being burnt alive by the sun, and he had no wish to ever experience that.

******

"You sure we're in the right place?" Nico asked, knowing they had been coasting down the gravel drive for longer than even he would have thought.

"Yeah, knowing my Vani, if he was on the run, he wouldn't want anyone able to sneak up on him," Patience said, noting how the headlights played along the trees that lined the road that was cut through the stand of trees.

"But why all the way out here, I thought vampires like being at the heart of a city?" Regan asked in a perplexed tone.

"That's the point, Regan; no one would think of looking all the way out here for him if he was on the run. Like you, they would think he would be hiding close to a human settlement and not starving himself out in the woods," Patience answered, knowing how the mind of her beloved worked. "That rat bastard?!" she hissed when the headlights shone upon the house once they had breached the mile-long wooded approach.

"Okay, I'll bite; what did he do?" Nico asked as he pulled his SUV around the house and into the hidden covered carport.

"I'm... I'm... well, I'm going to do something when I see him again," Patience huffed as her back thumped against the seat as she crossed her arms along her chest.

"Alright, now I'm really curious; what did Giovani do?" Nico asked, knowing he's never seen this side of her before. It was kind of cute.

"He built it and didn't even bother to tell me," Patience stated in an aggravated tone.

"I take it this is your two's dream home or something?" Regan asked as she unbuckled herself, hearing Patience's hum of an 'Mmmhmm.'

"Of course, he would build it in New Jersey?! The one place I try not to visit," Patience bemoaned as she slid out of the Land Rover.

"And why would ol' Giovani do such a thing?" Nico inquired, given how the front of the house was modeled after the old Plantation houses from the old South. He knew how much Patience enjoyed those grand fanciful balls that were held in such places, given the many feeding opportunities that one could achieve during that time. Patience, however, loved the glamor of the events the owners of such houses put on.

"Don't get smart with me, Nico," Patience snapped as she helped Regan out of the rear of the SUV. Hating the sound of that chuckle as Nico opened the rear door of his vehicle.

"So, why would Giovani build this place out here if it's your dream home?" Regan asked, taking her bag from Nico when he handed it to her.

"Oh, we had a little spat back in the '30s," Patience sighed, that long ago argument played out in her mind.

"What about?" Regan asked, watching Patience pulling out her phone.

"Hold that thought," Patience mused as she brought her phone to her ear.

"I wondered when you would call me." Patience pressed her lips together at the smugness of Giovani's voice when he answered the phone. "So, told you it would be an excellent spot for us, but you had to go out west."

"Vani," Patience pouted, "can we not fight. That was over seventy years ago. Can't we just move past that?"

"So, did you like it?"

"First, how do we get in?" Patience stated.

"I gave you the key long ago."

"That's what it was for?!" Patience hissed, her anger rising once again.

"Yeah, but you're the one that ran off to California."

"You could have told me! I would have stayed!" Patience huffed, stomping her foot.

"Why? I was mad at you. Plus, you had to make that choice yourself, and you didn't. Did you enjoy your time with Clark Gable?"

"Vani?! You promised never to bring him up," Patience whined.

"Can't help it, what man likes knowing his woman would rather spend time with some foolish actor than..." Sighing over the phone, "Sorry, you're right, I did promise."

"You know it was only an infatuation. It never meant anything. You know you're the man for me, don't you?" Patience asked sweet-like into her phone as she pulled out the set of keys she always carried with her. Most went to safe deposit boxes she had scattered throughout the world if she ever needed some quick cash or went on the run. Others went to places she kept throughout the years for the same reason she had so many safety deposit boxes.

"You have a funny way of showing it. But you better not let anyone in the master bedroom. That room is only for us." Patience smiled at the sound of Giovani's firm tone as he put his foot down.

"Yes, dear, I promise the master bedroom shall remain solely ours," Patience said in a light tone as she inserted the key that he had given her ages ago into the lock.

"I don't have the resources like the Queen does, but the basement will serve just as well as those fancy hide-a-way coffins they have."

"Okay." Peering around the place after Patience flipped on the lights. Sadness swelled in her heart at how much thought and effort Giovani had put into outfitting the place, knowing about every piece she could see had some attachment to the both of them. "Vani, can you forgive me? This place is so beautiful," Patience uttered in awe as her fingers ran down the genuine statue of Madonna.

"I know; who do you think I built the place for?" She knew her cheeks would be heating at that moment if she had recently fed. She may love laying with Conner, yet only Giovani made her heart flutter like it was doing at that moment, metaphorically speaking, of course.

"Vani?!" Patience sighed in a loving tone as she swayed a little. "So, will you be here tonight?"

"Possibly, working on getting her enough blood..."

"We'll probably need a hundred for the week."

"Really?! That many?" Patience heard his astonishment in his voice.

"Yeah, she packs in around nine or ten a day," Patience stated, flashing Regan a teasing smile as she peered back at her and Nico.

"I see... alright, I'll see what I can do. If I'm not there around nine, I should be there by twelve."

"Alright, we'll christen that room when you do," Patience purred into her phone.

"Oh? Then I definitely will be there by nine."

"Well, you two, look around, just don't touch anything, that's not furniture," Patience spoke, looking right at Nico as she pocketed her phone after she and Giovani said their goodbyes. "I best not find you purloining an item from this house; my Vani went to a lot of trouble in procuring every piece."

"Come on now, you know I wouldn't steal from Giovani or you," Nico intoned, rolling his eyes.

"I can never be too sure with your sticky fingers. Anyway, the door to the basement is through that hallway and the third door on your right whenever you feel like heading down," Patience said, giving the two of them directions on how to find it from what Giovani had told her. "Just don't use the red coffin."

"Why?" Regan asked in a curious tone.

"My Vani got it for me," Patience said in a happy tone. "Now, if you two will excuse me, I'm going to explore the master bedroom and take a long soak before the sun comes up."

Regan cast Nico a look when they watched Patience sauntering off, humming as she did with her hands behind her. "Is she always like that after the two of them talk?" Regan asked low.

"Oh, you should have seen them when I was Conner's fledgling; it got rather nauseous at how lovey-dovey the two of them were. Salvatore and I would always tease them about it," Nico said in a light chuckle as he and Regan walked around the ground floor.

"What about you? Have you ever been like that?" Regan asked, wondering what this feeling of being drawn to him was about that has been occurring ever since she met him.

"Once, but that was a very long time ago," Nico said, the shadows of his past playing along his face.

"What happened?" Regan asked, curious to know more about his past.

"She died from the white death," Nico stated factually.

"The what?!" Regan stammered. She's never heard of such a phrase before.

"It's what they refer to now when tuberculous was spreading like wide fire in the 1800s," Nico stated in a matter-of-fact manner.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I'm sure her passing couldn't have been easy on you," Regan said in a kind tone as she rested her hand on Nico's upper right arm.

"It was, that was when, like Patience, I had to come to terms that I will never age while those I love do and fade away while I remain the same," Nico uttered sadly. "I should warn you, Conner doesn't get human emotions all that often, so don't expect sympathy from him if something like this..."

"Oh, I think he understands that emotion very well; at least now he does," Regan cut in.

"Hmm... yes, I do believe he does," Nico nodded in agreement.

"So tell me, what's it like to be a thief?" Regan's voice faded away as the two of them continued their meandering of the house.

Chapter Ten

Conner sat in his room, blaring Regan's music, namely the song he had heard in that club. Although he has grown to like the song 'Forsaken' he didn't know if it was a cover or their original song, yet it spoke to him. His chin rested in the nock of his thumbs as his elbows pressed down on the armrests of the chair he was currently sitting in. His pale blue eyes stared unblinking at the wall as his mind pondered on what was to come. Playing out scenarios in his mind like he has done countless times before some battle he was to be a part of. The shadows condensed all around him; it appeared to him that they were dancing to the melody, which, if he could be truthful, was rather weird even for him. His eyes glanced over to the door when his mother barged in as the line from the song, 'Did you think it's cool to walk right up. To take my life and fuck it up!', played loudly before his mother forcibly switched the cd player off.

"Excuse you," Conner said coldly. "What gave you the impression you can just barge into my room?"

"Save it, Conner, you've been playing that same damn music for the past two hours!" Helen said heatedly. "It's growing tedious! You're acting like some moody teenager! She's dead; there is nothing you or anyone can do to bring her back. It's time for you to get over it," she hissed, staring her son down.

"Is that so?" Conner asked, controlling his anger. Hearing Mary's words repeating in his mind as he peered at his mother with indifference. "Maybe for someone that's never cared for anyone before, it might seem strange to you."

"Bah!" Waving her son off, "I care, I've cared for you, so don't you ever think I don't?!" Helen uttered, brushing off her son's comment. "So, where's this fledgling of yours?"

"Where I want her to be at the moment," Connor said aloofly, leaning back in his chair. His arms lowered, resting along the armrests, his nails dragged up the leather that covered the frame of the chair. "So, did you want something, or did you just come here to disrupt my solitude?"

"Indeed there is," Helen stated, not enjoying that tone of his.

"And just what could it be that you disrupt my musings?" Conner asked, resting his chin in his left hand with a disinterested look in his eyes.

"Well..." Drawing out the word, "there's a ball tonight," arching an eyebrow when she heard him sigh, "you normally like going to those?" Helen said, incensed.

"Yes, when I thought my mother, I use that term very loosely, wouldn't have my wife raped and murdered," Connor said in an emotionless tone. Yearning for the day when he was going to bring it all down.

Pressing her lips together, glaring at her son, who seemed unperturbed by the act. "Be careful son, there is only so much I will tolerate even from you," Helen warned.

"Does it appear to you that I'm frightened?" Conner asked, his eyes cut hard to her.

"Very well then, come or don't, I'll no longer seek to keep you from falling out of favor with the other Houses," Helen said, arching an eyebrow when she heard her son snort.

"They're weak; as far as I see it, it would be better to cull them from the world," Conner said coldly, seeing how that genuinely surprised his mother. "I remember a time when you did such a thing when they were weak and allowed far too much of their greed to thin their blood. But what do I expect? They are, after all, your children," he uttered, putting his mother and all those that side with her down in one go.

"And you expect me to believe that these five you have turned are stronger than those that still walk the Earth before even you were born?" Helen asked, crossing her arms across her chest.

"Yes."

"Whatever," Helen uttered, rolling her eyes. "I'll let you live in your delusions; it seems that's all you have now," she intoned; if he was going to constantly insult her, she saw no reason not to return the favor. "Stay in here and sulk all you like Conner, sooner or later, you will have to return to the throne. With that comes balls and everything else that deals with being the Prince of this kingdom," Helen stated as she peered back at her son from the doorway. "I expect you to bring this fledgling of yours before me so I can properly suss out if she's worthy or not to remain in this House."

"No," Conner spoke in a firm tone.

"What do you mean no?"

"What part of that is too hard for you to comprehend? The 'N' or the 'O'?" Conner asked from his seat. "Who I bring into my House is no concern of yours."

"Be careful, son, that sounds an awful like rebellion to me," Helen warned.

"No, see, for nine hundred years, I was loyal to you; you were the one that betrayed me, not the other way around," Conner corrected. "Now, leave, I grow tired of you," he uttered, waving his mother off.

"Very well then, son, you and your House will stand alone," Helen stated as she shut the door.

"Hasn't it always?" Conner muttered as the door closed behind his mother.

******

"Conner, where are you going?" Mary asked as she walked into his room roughly twenty minutes after his mother had left.

"Out."

"But... there's a ball..."

"I'm not attending," Conner spoke as he turned to peer at her as his black velvet suit jacket slid along his arms before coming to a rest on his shoulders.

"Why not?" Mary asked; if he wasn't going, then she didn't want to either. She had no wish to be around stuck-up old prudes.

"I see no need in..." Scowling when a furious pounding came on the door of his room. Narrowing his eyes when three of the eldest Council members stood at his door when he opened it.

"By decree of the Queen and Council." Conner noted how those men took delight in uttering those words like they meant anything to him. "That the head of House Ambrose shall attend this night's gala along with any and all events hosted by the Queen and ruling Council in the foreseeable future. Failure to do so will mean expulsion and stripped of all titles and lands held by said head of House Ambrose. Along with paying restitution for any and all charges that may accrue. What say you, Conner Ambrose, Prince and head of House Ambrose?" Before he could speak a word, he felt a hand on his arm. Those eyes of hers told him to think for a moment and not allow his anger to fuel his words. He was all set in telling them to shove that decree up their asses, yet once again, Mary's voice of reason echoed in his head. Knowing full well that if he ripped out the throats of the three before him, he wouldn't make it out of that manor alive. His mother would see to that. Something at the moment he wasn't prepared to face off with. Soon, yet not that day.

"I see; seems you old fools haven't given me much of a choice now, have you?" Conner spoke, enjoying the scowls playing along their faces. "Scurry back beneath the Queen's skirts like you've hidden for the past century and tell her so-called highness that the head of House Ambrose will make an appearance when I'm good and well ready," he uttered before slamming the door in their faces.