Akeldama

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mary noted how Patience and Nico were blocking the crowd from approaching the car as Salvatore opened the front passenger door. Peering back at Mathew and Dole when she sensed their unease with so many eyes on them.

"Sire?" Salvatore uttered low, casting Mathew and Dole a glance when Conner eased out of the car.

"Relax, they're with me; as such, they have my House's protection, am I understood," Conner spoke with the authority of an elder.

"Of course, sire," Salvatore answered immediately, with Patience and Nico nodding along in understanding.

"Why, thank you, Mathew," Conner said with a nod as he helped Mary out of the driver's seat.

"No worries," Mathew uttered low, so not used to having so many vampire eyes on him.

"Stay close," Mary whispered, to which Mathew nodded along.

"Salvatore, I like you to meet someone," Conner said, moving out of the door and opening the rear one as Salvatore closed his. "He reminds me of you, at least in spirit; I do believe the two of you will get along nicely," he spoke with a smile on his lips as his hand lightly rested on Dole's right shoulder as he slid out of the back.

"Me?"

"Oh yes, this one here," lightly patting Dole's shoulder, "would have made a fine knight if he was back in the thirteenth century," Conner uttered, seeing the shocked look in Dole's eyes. "You see, young Dole, I met this rather stubborn man when he was wounded beyond belief fending off bandits that were preying on the displaced when the Lithuanian Civil War broke out. Like you, he too was defending a woman," he stated, knowing Dole would make a fine fledgling for Salvatore given how he's never made one, or at least not to his knowledge that he had.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, young Dole," Salvatore greeted, clasping his hand on Dole's forearm.

"I do thank you, young Mathew, for returning my bride to my side," Conner stated with a gentlemanly bow. Seeing the bashfulness rushing to Mathew's face and how red Mary's was getting at that moment. "Nico?"

"Yes, sire?" Nico answered from over his shoulder. He knew Conner had to have a reason to bring two humans to this event, other than irking the living hell out of his mother.

"Come to my side," Conner ordered, holding out his right hand to Mary, who didn't hesitate to fill it. "Nico, I'd like you to meet Mathew; he's a little rough around the edges like you were when I turned you, yet he's a good lad. I do believe the two of you will get along, handsomely."

"He's a little skinny for your normal picks for fledglings," Nico whispered out of the side of his mouth.

"Ah, yes, he is, but his most important muscle is right there," Conner spoke, pointing at Mathew's head.

"Sire, you didn't bring me, anyone," Patience pouted, a little hurt at being left out.

"You already have had a fledgling, remember?" Conner spoke with a pointed look. "They have not; it's time that they learned how to manage one," he said, gesturing to Salvatore and Nico.

"But..."

"No buts, Patience, I can't choose all your fledglings for you. You'll have to learn how to do that yourself," Conner stated in a fatherly tone. Ignoring how Mary was gawking at him when he spoke those words. It wasn't lost on him that Mathew and Dole had the same look. "Plus, aren't you and a certain someone reconnecting?" Smirking at how flushed her cheeks got when he mentioned Giovani, knowing raising a fledgling wouldn't give her the time needed to do that since fledglings needed constant attention to ensure they learned everything they could from their sire. "Now, my dear," turning his attention to Mary, "how about you show me how you shake those hips," Conner uttered in a sinful tone.

"Conner?!" Mary gasped low; her gloved fingers rested lightly over her lips. "As my lord wishes," she said, curtsying to him.

"Excellent! Come along, House Ambrose mustn't keep the old hens waiting," Conner directed, hearing the hushed gasp moving through the crowd like a wave as he walked, with Mary on his arm, towards the entrance as the crowd parted, making a lane towards the foot of the granite steps.

"You're late!" Helen hissed, staring down at her son from the top of the landing.

"No, I don't recall that there was a time I must present myself at this... gathering of yours. Do you recall there being such a time frame?" Conner asked, peering at Mary. Who shook her head that she did not hear such a thing. "No, you simply demanded that I appear at this... thing of yours, not when," he said, returning his attention back to his mother. Who as you can expect was none too pleased with his explanation. "I would advise if you're going to threaten that I must appear at something that you set a time on when I must appear at; otherwise, who knows when I deem it fitting to present myself," Conner stated, knowing he was playing with fire as his mother's eyes narrowed. Not that he cared, she could vent and curse all she wanted. It wouldn't mean a damn thing to him. "Yet as you can see, I have fulfilled the stipulations you had placed on me, have I not?" he asked, tilting his head to the side, smiling deviously at his mother. Wondering on how far he could push his mother's anger before it got the better of her and revealed to the world what he already knew.

"Insufferable child!" Helen growled as she spun on the ball of her right foot and marched back into the building with Lynn following quickly behind along with the rest of the Council, who stood behind his mother.

"Aw, have I upset you, mother?" Conner's voice toyed at Helen's departing figure as her form disappeared from his view.

"Conner, remember, you need to play nice," Mary whispered, all the while she tried to hide the smile she felt forming.

"Yes, yes," Conner sighed into his chest. "Very well, but if I must play nice, I demand a dance," he spoke, peering down at Mary. Watching how the tips of her ears reddened when he slid his hand along Mary's lower back, coming to a rest in the middle of it, just above her ass.

"Of course, Prince Conner, I wouldn't dream of keeping you from the dance floor," Mary replied in a bashful tone.

A flash of memory stabbed at his mind, sending him back to the numerous balls he had attended before his mother had him thrown into that box. Recounting how the crier would always shout out his name as he walked through the door. However, now, it seemed he and his House no longer warranted such an introduction. Then again, he assumed they didn't need one given the display upon their arrival. Sighing in his mind when the string instruments hummed as they prepared to start whatever musical arrangement his mother or whoever planned this event had set up for the evening.

"Something wrong?" Mary asked in a low voice.

"You would think they would at least bring in some modern music," Conner intoned, seeing a twinkle appearing in Mary's eyes when he said that.

"Oh? Has the great elder grown fond of this age's music?" Mary asked in a teasing tone.

"Don't tell Regan, but yes," Conner nodded.

"Worry not, my Prince, there be plenty of time for you to watch these hips of mine shake as much as you want," Mary stated in a sultry tone. Her tongue flicked against her teeth as she did.

"As long as you wear this dress when you do," Conner countered.

"Oh? Do tell, why this dress?" Mary mused as Conner led her, along with his offspring, Mathew, and Dole, towards the other side of the Hall. Knowing he was doing this on purpose to show them all the vast gap between his House and the others. "Conner?!" she gasped in lust when he whispered into her ear at how well it made her ass look. Seeing that devilish light playing along his pale blue eyes as he pulled away. Biting her lip when she slyly guided his hand to it. Allowing it to linger as they continued their trek to the spot Conner had chosen for them.

Mary noted the numerous eyes that glanced their way as the seven of them simply enjoyed each other's company as they chatted away. Listening to the tales Salvatore, Patience, and Nico would tell about their time at Conner's side when they were fledglings and after their tutelage was over. Smiling into her glass when Conner was genuinely enjoying himself when Mathew was telling a joke. Also, noting how Salvatore stood close to Dole, as did Nico with Mathew. Noticing how Nico grew very interested when Mathew admitted he was a hacker, although he and Dole had to explain it to Conner when he had a rather blank look on his face at the word. Arching an eyebrow when Mathew asked for Patience's phone when Nico asked him to demonstrate some of his skills. She was equally confused when Mathew pulled out a stick of gum from his pocket. Popping the gum into his mouth and carefully folded the foil a certain way before flipping open Patience's phone, bringing the phone and foil up to his lips. Hearing the odd tone, it produced when Mathew blew along it. It wasn't hard for her to hear the strange beeps that were happening over the line.

"You now have free long distance, forever, on that phone," Mathew said with a sneaky smile on his lips as he handed Patience's phone back to her.

"Really?! Just like that?" Patience asked, not believing a word.

"Oh, yeah, just like that," Mathew nodded.

It wasn't hard for Mary to miss how Nico viewed Mathew in a new light after that display. However, their enjoyment was interrupted when one of the Council's lackies appeared at the edge of their group.

"Speak, quickly," Conner spoke in a forced, controlled tone at having their conversation intruded upon.

"The Queen wishes to speak with you, Prince Conner."

"Very well, you may leave," Conner uttered, shooing the man off with a wave of his hand. "I shall try not to be too tardy," he said in a soft tone as he bent down and placed a kiss on Mary's right cheek. Rolling his eyes at Salvatore's and Nico's taunts at the display. Noting how Mary's fingers rested over the area as he walked away.

His eyes followed how the others' scurried quickly out of his path as he walked with a purpose towards where his mother and her sycophants mingled. Tugging on his jacket, feeling it tightening along his shoulders as he did. He might fall, he might die when he launches his attack, yet he was damn sure going to take every last one of them with him as he noted the smug looks on the Council's faces as he approached.

"What is it?" Conner spoke without giving the proper greeting to his mother.

"This... disrespect you had been displaying as of late ends now?! I think you believe that little display of yours garnered you some support from the lower ranks, don't you?" Helen asked, turning towards her son when she stood with her back to him. The venom in her eyes was not hard to miss. It only intensified when she noted the smirk on Conner's lips.

"Whether it did or not, I don't care," Conner answered, brushing off his mother's statement. "I was perfectly content in seeking my entertainment elsewhere for the evening, yet it was you and those old fools," gesturing to the men and women behind his mother, "that threatened me with expulsion if I did not show up this evening," he said factually. "As you can plainly see, I am here, within these walls. Now, whether or not you like my displays of greeting and whatnot, that I cannot control. Have I not fulfilled the demands that you placed on me, your highness?" Conner asked, not hiding his sarcasm when he spoke the last word.

"Do you wish to stand against me, son?" Helen asked as her power grew around her. "Do you wish for me to tear you to pieces? Do you wish to see your ashes scattered in the dirt?" she growled as her glacial blue eyes shimmered in her unholy power. "Don't think that you're so special that I won't destroy you and start anew. I birthed you; I can create another just like you," Helen sneered.

"Then please, by all means, do so," Conner stated in a monotone voice. "Although, I wonder which one of these groupies of yours is going to step up to the plate when they know their death is assured the moment the deed is done. Then again, it would get your nagging voice out of my ear for a night or two. However, that begs the question," he mused, tilting his head back, tapping his finger on his chin, pretending to be deep in thought. "If you could create more of those like me, why haven't you? Could it be that I am indeed unique? A thousand years to create another like me is a very long time to wait to start popping them out. Be careful there, dear mother; your mask is slipping," Conner whispered as he leaned in. "We wouldn't want all these lower ranks, as you refer to them, to truly see who their Queen is," he uttered low from behind his hand with a taunting light in his eyes.

Conner wore an amused smile as he watched how his mother straightened out her clothes and regained her poise. Noting how it was taking all her restraint not to slap him in front of everyone for his blatant disrespect. He had to admit that did surprise him a little -- only a little.

"So tell me, mother dearest," his tongue felt soiled just saying that phrase, "was it worth it?"

"I have no idea what you mean."

"Oh, you know, judging me when I have broken no law. Taking something I searched high and low for, something that wasn't tainted by you," Conner said darkly. The shadows of the room came alive, darting to the one person in the mortal realm that held power over them. Rotating around his feet in a counterclockwise pinwheel motion. Displaying his own might that he wouldn't be beaten down like she thought. "So tell me, your highness, should I, the Crown Prince, not stand against those," pointing behind his mother, "that would cast aside our laws, the very laws we created to protect ourselves from the humans when you and they can simply usurp them at any time you want when you and they don't like the events folding out before you? Should I now do everything in my power to ensure such an event never happens again?" It was all a lie; of course, Conner simply needed to throw his mother off-kilter long enough not to see what was coming.

"You took a hundred years from me, and that will be repaid one way or another, be sure of that," Conner glared hatefully at the Council.

"Are you threatening us?!" Lord Sorn asked with evil glee. Nevertheless, that glee instantly faded as he noted the murderous light in Conner's eyes.

Conner was wise enough not to answer that question. If he did, then he truly would break one of their laws. One law that not even he -- the Prince -- could skip out of the punishment. A punishment he knew would cost him another five years in a coffin. Years that he wasn't willing to give them. However, he wasn't expecting to feel the touch of his mother's hand on his right cheek.

"My poor, misguided son, that time in that coffin must have been terrible on you," Helen said, playing up her role as the sweet, caring mother. When in truth, she was a vengeful demon in the disguise of a vampire. "To make you think that I am your enemy. Don't worry, son, this will pass, and when it does, your spot by my side will still be waiting for you," she stated, thinking this would throw him off. Given how her anger wasn't doing the trick, so she thought kindness would lower his guard enough for her to reset her hooks back into him.

Smiling wickedly at her son's back as he walked away. Thinking she had shaken him enough to have him second-guessing whatever he had planned. Little did she truly know the man that escaped that coffin. Conner wasn't fazed. Not in the slightest. No. He was a hair's breadth away from enacting his plan. If he had, he knew he would inadvertently kill those that sided with him. He couldn't do that, not if he hoped to keep the kingdom from falling apart after the fallout occurred. Not that he wouldn't mind being rid of his title. Yet, he remembered how it was a free for all before the war. Vampires taking what they wanted, when they wanted, how they wanted. Something he was never going to allow to happen again. So he must wear the crown to ensure those bloody years never, ever repeat themselves.

"We're leaving," Conner stated in a firm tone as he peered at his offspring.

"What? Why?" Mary asked, confused. "Oh, okay, Mathew, Dole, I'll see you home," she said once she saw the look in his eyes. "Don't start without me," Mary whispered as she placed her hand on his left bicep when she stood at his side. Before taking hold of Mathew's and Dole's arms and quickly escorting them out of the Hall.

"Patience, inform those that are with me to stay far away from the manor for a few days. Salvatore, call Giovani, tell him it's time, Nico, head back, keep Regan safe, it falls to you to ensure she gets to safety should I not make it out alive," Conner said, giving out his orders like he had done throughout that centuries-long war. Feeling them moving past him to carry out his orders. Peering down at his hands, knowing how much blood was going to mar them once the night was through. Wondering if Margaret would even recognize him now, or would she call him a monster for what he was about to do? Banishing the thought from his mind, spinning on his heel and marched towards the door. If he was going to wage war on his own kind, then he wanted a sword. It would not do to go into battle unarmed, especially against his mother.

Chapter Eleven

The dripping of water played along the air. Pale fingers moved along the porcelain washbasin. Pale blue eyes peered back at him as he reached up and combed his fingers through his slicked back, raven hair. Smelling the fragrant oil that laced the water clinging to his skin as the droplets of water clung dearly to his strong chin. If he was to meet his death, he would rather look good. His eyes glanced to the right of him as the flash of red of her nails crested his shoulders before her hands moved down his chest as he leaned over the basin. Feeling her lips pressing against his skin as her chocolate brown eyes peered at him in the mirror. Silently telling him whatever happens in that chamber, she would not leave his side.

They didn't say a word as Mary had her arms around his neck with him peering down into her eyes. No. In that moment, they simply wanted the silence of the room so that history would forever remember this moment. Wrapping her tightly in his arms, letting go of his memory of his wife. Knowing after tonight, he could no longer live in the past. A man who was about to lead a nation of vampires couldn't be stuck in the past, or he would be dead, and it wouldn't matter if his mind was in the past or not.

Conner fought to keep his chuckle contained as Mary ran about, picking out a new outfit for him. An outfit that would be conducive to the modern age. Noting how intently she was on her task as she held up one shirt after another to his chest. Tossing the ones that didn't meet her cut over her shoulder, hearing the hangers bouncing along the floor as they struck it. Her hand moved down the plain black cotton shirt knowing the time was growing near, doing everything she could to prolong the moment.

Burying her face into his chest, her sobs were overshadowed by Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven' as it played in the background. His hand softly brushed along the back of her head. Conner knew she wanted to talk him out of this one last time yet knew it would be useless. This had been set in motion long before they met each other. He knew he might die the moment they tossed Margaret's dead body at his feet. He also knew with the amount of blood he had spilt of his kind if he didn't make his move now, his mother would on her terms. Terms he knew he wouldn't survive. He knew at least this way he had a chance of walking out alive, if not maimed.

Sharing one last kiss, the black midthigh waistcoat settled on his shoulders. Matching his new dark attire, he thought it fitting given the amount of death that would be unleashed within a few moments. Peering back into the room one last time, the memories he had made since awakening in that tub flashed before his eyes. The door closed silently on its hinges, its metal latch locking those haunting notes in.