All Aboard Andi's Dream Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The lawyer glared at Lieutenant Colonel Jarecki and tried a tactic that he used in civilian courts. "Is it not true that you're a doctor in the twilight of your career that you are lashing out trying to take down one of the last men to see your wife alive?"

"Yes. It is true." Mr. High-Priced Lawyer was shocked. "General Blecher was one of the last men she saw alive, but he was also the only man who went TDY with her that I know to have an odd fascination with the drug that killed her. So yes, if he's guilty I hope he gets the maximum penalty."

"You know Dr. Jarecki, that could be death."

"Yeah, I know. What's your point?"

Paul was released, and he headed back to his seat. He was glad this was over, so now he could go poke through the Air Force Museum. His brain was fried. He sat down and a beautiful black woman in a bright yellow business dress sat down next to him. She was as tall as Jacqui, but slim with a fairly nice rack from what he could see.

The beautiful black woman leaned close and said, "Doctor Jarecki, I need you to come with me."

She was nice looking, but not that nice. Besides, there are better places to pick up guys. He tried to wave her away, but she wouldn't go.

"Doctor Jarecki, I work for Cyryl Jarecki, and he needs you." She handed him a version of his dad's business card. Instead of saying Cecil, the first name was his real name, Cyryl. Very few people get that card, just high end buyers.

"What does he want?"

"He wants you." She handed him an envelope that was thick with papers. He opened it up, and they were all stapled together like they do with military orders. "These are your orders; you've been assigned to the Western New York VA Hospital as Director of Cardiology. Follow me." She picked up his overnight bag, and his antique looking doctor's bag that his parents gave him so long ago and has proved so useful. Without a word, she left with his luggage.

"I'm almost retired," said Paul as she hurried out of the building to a waiting car.

"And you'll be able to retire around family and friends. The car took them directly to the airport where a small private plane was waiting. Paul got on the little Piper Cheyene 400 III, a six passenger twin engine turbo prop.

"What about my rental?"

"That will be taken care of for you." She held her hand out, and he gave her the keys to his rental car.

"And my room at the BOQ?"

"That has been packed. Your hold baggage is on the way to Western New York as we speak."

"This is like being in a spy novel," muttered Paul.

"Believe it or not, you have friends in high places, Doctor Jarecki. They care for you and miss you."

"I never caught your name," said Paul.

"I am Doctor Marie-Claude Solange Dagenais-Jarecki." Her accent was so heavy that Paul didn't catch her last name.

"Where are you from. France? When I was stationed in Germany I got to go to Paris, and they all talked like you."

"I am from Montreal."

"Do you mind if I get some sleep? I've been flying around for days." Paul had been at Randolph AFB in San Antonio, Texas, teaching when the request to testify at Buzz Blecher's trial came up. He just landed in Cincinnati that morning and drove to Wright-Patterson in time for the trial. Now that his part in the trial was over, he can screw off for a little while. He took a sip of iced tea that Marie syllable syllable syllable brought him and was asleep before he could take another sip.

Paul woke up when the tires of the Cheyene hit the ground at Buffalo International Airport. The plane pulled into a parking spot at Prior Aviation on the north end of the airfield and soon shut down. "Follow me S'il vous plait," said the black woman in the yellow business dress and she climbed off the airplane and held open a rear door on a Bentley Continental Flying Spur Saloon. He hopped in and Marie syllable syllable syllable put his bags in the trunk then got in next to him. As the big luxury saloon eased out of the airport, she pulled some papers out of her briefcase and started going through some paperwork in a leather folder, tapping away on a calculator. "Checking my dad's sales figures?" asked Paul.

"Huh? Oh non, Doctor Jarecki, I am double checking the treasurers figures for the Springville Congregational Church's budget."

"Why?"

"Because the treasurer asked me to. We are building a new church and want to come in under budget."

The Bently was pure luxury. Dad must be doing gangbusters in the Mile Strip Road location that were all European luxury cruisers. "Hey, stop at Charlie the Butcher's!" They serve a great beef on weck there.

"I am sor-ree, dinner will be a bit later after your meeting with Mr. Jarecki." They left the airport and swung up Union Road, then pulled on to The Thirty-Three and barely got up to speed before it exited on to Harlem Drive. "Ah, the old neighborhood," said Paul sarcastically as they drove up Maryvale drive then turned into Cedargrove Heights. "This used to be named Tiorunda."

"I know, Mister Jarecki told me." They drove through the evening neighborhood and Macy said, "Did you know Doctor Jarecki, that your father is offering financial help to the poorer families here? I thought that was interesting." The Bently stopped in front of the ancient Four-plex that they lived in and Paul stepped out of the car. Macy stepped up to the door of the apartment building and opened it for him.

"I used to live here," said Paul.

"I know. Doctor Jarecki told me."

"Huh?"

Paul stepped into the apartment and walked slowly through the kitchen. The ancient stove was updated, as was the ancient refrigerator, and they were pulled away from the wall. It looked like the apartment was getting ready to be painted. He stepped into the living room and a single bare bulb illuminated the room and in there were mom and dad, Cecil and Katarina. "Mom!"

His parents hugged their oldest son. Nearly twenty years had passed since he put on the uniform, and now he was home for good. "Why didn't you let me come to you, we all wanted to come help."

"Mom, that was an eighteen hour flight!"

"So? It was for you Paulie, you needed family," said momma.

"Paulie, you don't know how hard it was not to get on that plane."

"Dad, I'm sorry, I wanted to talk to John so bad and when he was gone I went crazy I guess..."

"We know honey," said Katarina, patting his shoulder. "And now you two can make it right." Cecil, Macy, and Katarina stepped outside and locked the door.

"Mom? Come on mom!"

"Someone put key locks on the inside of the doors," said a familiar voice. "It's a fire safety violation and they all have to be replaced and the landlord went bankrupt. Dad is funding their replacement."

"John?"

"Paul, I'm sorry for not being there." John stepped out of the shadows wearing just jeans and a t-shirt.

"I'm over it," snapped Paul.

"Then why are you avoiding my calls and letters?" John held his hands behind his back. "I wasn't there for you like I promised... you needed me and I wasn't there for you. It's ok to hit me."

"I'm not going to hit you.

"You need it as much as I do. I was wrong, I deserve your hate."

"I don't want to hit you."

"Hit me! I promised you that I'd be there to pick you up and I failed you. You had to face the horror of your wife dying alone, I could have been there in a few hours... HIT ME!" To the surprise of both of them Paul wound up and hit him in the stomach and with an oof, John crumpled to his knees.

"There, happy? Now leave me alone."

Wretching a little, John slowly got up. "I can't understand the sorrow and the loss you felt when Melony died, at the same time I lost my only brother and it's my fault. I cry for you at night and pray you'll call... I can't take your hatred... HIT MEEEE PLEASE!"

Paul gave him another gut punch, but he didn't go down. He bent over, puked a little, then slowly stood back up. "What's wrong with you?" demanded Paul. "Just go down and leave me alone."

"No, it's not fair what happened to you and I should have been there for you. I was wrong! Damn it HIT ME! Give me your hate. HIT ME!

"NOOOO!" Screamed Paul and he wound up with all the pain and anger that had been festering for the past decade and hit as hard as he could. John sailed backwards and hit his head on the floor, and stopped moving. "John? JOHN!" Paul dove to his little brother. His eyes were fluttering. "Oh crap, I didn't mean it... John, I didn't mean it."

"It's ok, it's all my fault," and John slipped into unconsciousness.

"Damnit John," groaned Paul as he ran to the sink to wet a rag he found, then he looked in the fridge and found that an ice tray was full of ice cubes. He wrapped the ice cubes in the wet rag. "Don't you dare die on me."

<><><><><>

Outside Katarina, Cecil and Macy waited nervously. "The boys never really fought before," said Katarina.

"Doesn't sound like John is fighting at all," said Cecil.

"He is, he's fighting the way that hurts Paul the most," said Macy, who was quietly weeping. "Have you ever seen the movie Ghandi?"

"John is laying down in front of armored cars?" asked Cecil.

"In his way."

<><><><><>

Paul turned to go back to John and saw that John was picking himself up from the floor. His eyes weren't focusing, and he was wincing in pain. "Hit me," groaned John. "Beat the failure out of me." He turned to Paul and begged, "Please!"

"I'm not going to hurt you anymore," said Paul.

"You did much worse when you threw me away." He collapsed to his knees. "Please, I can't take your hate anymore, please hit me until your hate is gone or I am gone. PLEASE!" John looked up, his eyes full of pain and tears. "I can't live like this."

Their eyes met and Paul was reminded of the tiny, confused and starving boy weeping in the rain, locked out of the house by a drunken whore while mom and dad worked in desperation to save the family business. Paul remembered John's scuffed knees. John would run to Paul, knowing Paul could make it better. Then the sunny days and ice cream on they enjoyed on Island Park came to mind, watching the kids on the swings...

"Oh god John, I missed you so much!" and suddenly they were hugging. The pain and hate and anger and pride of the past decade were draining from Paul's heart and they were, once again, John and Paul, inseparable brothers.

"I missed you so much..." gasped John.

"I missed you too... I don't know why I acted like that."

"Pain makes people do things they wouldn't do normally," said John. "Let's not do that again, ever," he said through his tears and they knelt and held each other. They hugged and wept for what seemed like ages, apologizing to each other over and over. It was so good for each to have their brother back!

"I'm so sorry, did I hurt you?" asked Paul sadly.

"Yes, but Dad brought you home so we could work it out."

"Not that," said Paul as he helped John to his feet. "The punching."

"That? You hit like a girl." John tried to stand straight, but a jolt of pain shot through his abdomen. "A really, really big angry girl."

Suddenly Paul was crying, "I'm so sorry... so damn, damn sorry but I'm so lonely. I didn't want to hurt you, I wanted you to hit me. I can't take being alone anymore..."

The brothers held each other tightly. "I'm here for you now, we're family again," said John as Paul tried to compose himself. Then John said, "Don't worry about it, when she comes you'll know her and she'll know you, and God will bless your union."

"What do you mean?"

"That's how it's going to happen. That's how you're going to meet your wife."

"While we're waiting, I want to meet your wife," said Paul as they slowly walked through their old home.

"You already did. Dad sent her to Cincinnati to pick you up."

"That was your wife?" Paul asked in shock. He compared Marie syllable syllable syllable and Jacqui and shook his head. The Jarecki boys are back. "How do we get out of here?" said Paul, finding the door still locked.

"Shave and a haircut," said John. Paul tapped the ancient rhythm, "Shave and a haircut, two bits," on the door and the with the jingling of keys the door opened.

"Oh!" the tall black girl cried, "My Jean!" (that's what it sounded like to Paul) and she put her arms around John. "Are you hurt?"

"A little, but the real pain has stopped." He slowly straightened. "Paul, this is my beautiful wife, Doctor Marie-Claude Solange Dagenais-Jarecki."

"Call me Macy."

"Macy, this is your only rival for my affections, my brother Paul." Even through his pain, Macy could see the joy in John's smile. This was all worth it.

<><><><><>

A car whisked them to Giardino's Family Italian Restaurant, where Momma Giardino shrieked with joy when she saw Paul and John enter together. "Paulie! Johnny! Everyone listen, my boys are back!"

"Please Momma, keep it down!"

Momma seated them at a special table often reserved for events. Without asking, Momma's son Danny, now the restaurant manager, set a plate of antipasto out for his brothers. "The usual Macy?"

"Oui! It is so délicieuse!"

"Paul? Would you like to see a menu?"

"You know what? Tell the cook to bring me whatever he likes to cook."

"Will do. Mom? Dad?"

"Momma just wants a salad and a chance to pick off my plate," said Cecil. "We'll have the Penne Contadina."

"Very good, coming right up," said Danny as a waiter set out water and bread with plates of seasoned olive oil to dip the freshly baked bread in.

As the waiter returned with two large glasses of Pepsi for Paul and John, their father sat back with a harrumph.

"What's the matter dad?" asked Paul.

"All these doctors!" he said. He pointed to Paul, "Doctor." Then he pointed to John, "Doctor." Finally, he pointed to Macy. "Doctor Doctor. But the used car salesman is footing the bill."

Paul pulled out the wallet. "Let me see if there's anything left from the pittance you taxpayers give us..."

"Collection was a bit short this week," said John, searching his own wallet.

"My employer sent me out of town, I had to get a new dress," said Macy as she rifled through her purse.

"He does this all the time," said Katarina. "Don't listen to your father, the business is doing well."

Cecil leaned over to Paul and said, "I am looking to retire but I want to keep the business in the family and these two took a vow of poverty!"

"It's not a vow of poverty dad," groaned John. "I promised my church that I would prioritize them right after Macy. So I work for the church and pick up money working for Gus."

"He is an apprentice carpenter," said Macy. "He is learning to make furniture now."

"Gus lets me use his tools and I've been making cabinets for the house."

"You got a house?" asked Paul.

"Oui!" gushed Macy. "It is what you call fixer upper."

"It's a farmhouse without a farm," said John. "Only a block from the church and we gutted it and are rebuilding as we go. Right now I'm building the hulls for the kitchen cabinets. Gus is teaching me and so far all we've had to buy is lumber and screws."

"Who is Gus?" asked Paul.

"He's a deacon at the church," said John.

"You didn't hear me when I mentioned the family business?" growled Cecil.

Without turning from John and Macy, Paul waved his hand and said, "I'll do it pops." Then he looked at his father and said, "If I find anything in the books that looks a little bit sketchy I'll sell the whole damn thing and donate it all to John's church."

"The books are immaculate," growled Cecil.

"Oui, I have been reviewing the books, they are clean so far."

"Well, dad must be up to his old tricks if he can get a Senator to yank me out of Texas for my last few years in the service."

"No!" gasped Macy. "Senator Elden bought a car for a member of his staff and he was happy with the car!"

"And he was happy with the fact that we didn't tell his wife," whispered Katarina.

"Errr, yes, there was that."

"Dad! You strong armed a United States Senator?"

"NO! The guys name was Senator. Senator Elden, he lives in North Tonawanda. I just mentioned that it would be nice to have you home to take over the business. He may have strong armed a senator, but he let me borrow his plane to get you."

As the meals arrived, then Paul laughed and said, "Yes. I will take over. I have to prioritize the VA hospital as I go, but I will learn the company and when I retire from the service I'll take over Jarecki Motors."

John and Macy's usual was Spaghetti Viviana, spaghetti with chicken, fresh tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, asparagus, and Greek olives in olive oil and garlic. Mom and Dad's Penne Contadina was penne pasta with ham, mushrooms, and mozzarella in olive oil and garlic with a touch of marinara. Chef Dominic himself brought out Paul's dish, Chicken Pappagallo. Grilled chicken breasts with sauteed artichokes, tomatoes, mushrooms, and basil in olive oil and garlic.

"We didn't eat like this a few years ago, did we," said Paul as he watched the couples share a plate with each other...

Macy saw Paul sadly watching the couples share their meals. She leaned over John and whispered to Paul, "It will happen soon. Do not worry."

<><><><><> ֎ <><><><><>

It was autumn, and the leaves were a riot of colors; the air was crisp, but the sun was warm. The church was a beehive of activity. Workmen carried the new pews in one by one, final touches were being completed. Larry Snow was toiling with the new 32 channel sound board and the sound equipment in the church. His wife Carol was standing in the middle of the sanctuary listening to sound levels and giving Larry suggestions on setting sound levels.

John was in the kitchen installing a second dishwasher while the women's ministry decided where each dish went, where the silverware would be stored and the plasticware would be available and the coffee pot! Should it be near the sink where the water is available or near the door so you could grab a cup without getting in the way? Decisions decisions.

"Wow," said Paul as Macy gave him a tour of the goings on. "John must be excited about opening this building."

"He hates it. Jean loves the old church and is sorry to see it go. He's been preaching over there for two years and he fell in love with it. But the congregation needs this new building, we have outgrown the old church! And the old church is not disabled friendly, our old members cannot get in the old building, the stairs are too steep, so is the ramp. So we will use it as storage and have special events there like weddings." Paul and Macy put the boxes they were carrying in an empty office. "This is our office," said Macy as they set the boxes of books down.

There was a folding couch in the office and Paul said, "This is where you two sleep?"

Macy nodded brightly. "We haven't finished the house yet, so we sleep here at night and as soon as we finish this building we can concentrate on the house."

Just then, a fellow leaned in the office door. "It's almost noon."

Macy looked excited. "Does John know?"

"He will in a few minutes."

"Gus, this is Paul, yes, that Paul. Paul, this is August. He's kind of in charge of this building."

"Well, I did build it," said Gus as they shook hands. "Gus Didomissio, general contractor. It's good to meet you. Let me guess, you and John reunited last week on Thursday?"

"Yes, who told you?"

"John's smile. He's done nothing but talk about you, and now he's just walking around grinning." Gus urged Macy and Paul to the main door of the church. From there, you could see the countryside and directly ahead of them was the old church building.