All In The Family

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

What did happen was the false rape charge was expunged, and even the Edward's closest friends wanted nothing to do with them.

Nearly three weeks after this case wrapped up, while Steven and I were resting on our sofa after dinner, he had this worried look on his face.

"Something wrong, sweetheart?"

"I got a call from my mother, today."

"And?"

"It seems as if grandpa and grandma are moving to what they called a 'more appropriate' area.

"Rural Idaho, I'm guessing?"

"Uh huh."

"Does that mean she wants some sort of relationship with us? And, does she know about our own relationship?"

"Maybe, and yes."

"You do know I'd never stand in your way of having a relationship with your mother, and just so you know, my parents have talked with me about that same subject."

"Why don't we go to bed, and sleep on it?"

"You just want to get in my panties, don't you?"

Instead of an answer, he swept me up in his arms, and carried me into our bedroom.

After a fantastic night of lovemaking, we did talk about the other five hundred pound gorilla in the room. Children.

Sitting having our coffee, we just stared at each other.

"Don't you think we should get married, either way?"

I just nodded my approval.

He was calling his folks, as I called mine. Where his were very excited, mine both expressed their concern. Yes, we had different last names. Yes, we had the same biological mother.

Neither family were bothered by the interracial aspect of our union.

We decided to go out to celebrate at a local restaurant that all of us had enjoyed. Great food, lively music, and an amazing atmosphere.

As luck would have it, there was a Karaoke night. Let me be perfectly clear. I love music, but can't carry a tune in a bushel basket.

Steven had told me once or twice, that both he and his dad like to sing, but he never told what type of music.

Sitting and listening to some fairly good singing, after a fabulous dinner, I noticed my fiance looking over the song choice list.

Did I forget to say we set a date for our wedding?

As we listened, my parents enjoyed some of the 60's era R & B, while not enjoying the more modern Hip Hop stuff, too much.

After some whispering between Steven and his dad, that had them both grinning, and me becoming quite worried, Steven finally walked up to the mic.

"I'm going to sing one of my favorite songs, tonight. My fiance doesn't have any idea, and neither do her parents. But I'm doing a song released in 1974, by Henry Deutschendorf, Jr."

Everyone in the restaurant just stared in an unbelieving manner.

"Well life on the farm is kinda laid back,

Ain't much an old country boy like me can't hack. Early to rise and early in sack, Thank God I'm a Country Boy!"

After my folks and I picked our jaws up off the table, we all started clapping in time with one of John Denver's biggest hits.

When he finished, I was still open mouthed, and still stunned. In all the time we'd been dating and living together, never once did he ever tell me of his love of country music, let alone how good he could sing.

Needless to say, he brought down the house.

As our wedding day neared, I actually broke down and called Marilyn Edwards. OK, it was at my parents request. My mother asked me to look beyond my initial hatred, and just talk.

We did talk for nearly a half hour, with me remaining civil. She already knew that Steven and I were getting married, and by the time we finished our talk, I asked her if she would like to attend.

"Do you know, Tameka, if I do, it would be the first time I would have ever defied my father, so, yes, I think I will."

Some of what we discussed led to my easing of my life-long dislike for this woman. It was not by choice that I was put up for adoption. That was her father's decision, all on his own. She had always wondered about me. How I grew up? How I adapted to my adoptive family? What I looked like?

As I said, our conversation was civil, but we didn't come away as best friends. But, we weren't arch enemies, either.

Our wedding was fantastic, if I do say so, myself. My dad was beaming, walking his little girl down the aisle. And, yes, Marilyn did attend. After all, she was the mother of the groom.

Epilog:

As Steven finished his undergraduate studies, and was admitted into grad school, he was well on his way to becoming a research scientist. I continued my work, helping the injustly convicted people, who were in dire need of a voice.

As my husband was starting on his PhD work, we made the decision to enlarge our family. It took over seven months for my long dormant female parts to remember what they were supposed to do, and after nine more months, Stephanie Barton came into the world. Ten little toes. Ten little fingers. And everything else a beautiful little girl should have.

I did take time off from work, so I could make sure our daughter would never want for the love of two parents.

It must have been her sixth or seventh day at home, when Marilyn called and very nicely asked if could see her granddaughter.

"You know, Tameka, I'd almost given up on the idea of ever having a grandchild."

We had a very nice visit, and I nearly thought Marilyn wasn't going to let our daughter go, plus she just couldn't stop grinning.

"You do know that my father would blow a fuse, knowing I had so much fun holding this little treasure. I just can't thank you enough."

As she got up to leave, I walked over to her, at first thinking I would just stand close, but she literally fell into my arms, sobbing, and thanking me for including her, if just for a few moments.

As Steph grew, we made the decision not to tempt fate, and left our family as it stood.

We also decided to let Marilyn visit whenever possible, with the understanding I'd never call her mother. I had Rhonda Hawkins my entire life, and nothing could change that fact.