All Comments on 'All of Us Fit in Our Places'

by WhiteTailDarkTip

Sort by:
  • 4 Comments
PurplefizzPurplefizzabout 1 year ago

Can’t believe there are no comments (or none I can see) for this story, yes, it gets a bit involved and it extends and then extends again with it’s cast of players, most of which we love dearly, but one or two we desperately want to see get their comeuppance, I was all for Monica getting thrown into that basket along with Giles until the scene with the storm, well played WTDT, you redeemed her with a symbolic “washing away” of the load Dearborn had placed upon her, that, for me was the pivotal moment in the story.

So many good things in this story, however Charles & Anna get lost in the general hubbub, I’m guessing their story was intended as the core tale, if so, really you should build the story around them, not have them appear from time to time when it suits the plot, that said, I did like the rest of the extended family, an epilogue including a host of the families kids involved at the grape harvest would have shown the estate was on a safe course for the future and given the readers closure.

Many thanks for writing and posting, cheers Ppfzz. 5⭐️

WhiteTailDarkTipWhiteTailDarkTipabout 1 year agoAuthor

Many thanks for your kind words and your percipient comments. You’re quite right that the story got away from Charles and Anna and I kept getting tied up in side characters. I’m still learning how to write a coherent story so bear with me! Ultimately I plan on rewriting the whole Piper-Dearborn saga as a better integrated tale but that’s going to be a labour of love.

I’m in the throes of writing a sequel, possibly two, but probably not to be released until next year.

PurplefizzPurplefizzabout 1 year ago

Hi WTDT, thank you for your prompt and candid reply, please don’t feel as if I was complaining and that you need to rewrite what was a good story, fwiw I rated it as a 5⭐️, you might be better taking any lessons learned and applying them to your new story.

From my perspective as a reader you might benefit from an independent editor with a brief, their job primarily being to prune excess characters and events to allow your original storyline to flourish, although as a writer it’s sometimes hard to see the people who develop lives and personalities under your “pen” get cast into the void of the recycle bin.

I hope I’ve been constructive in my criticism and urge you to continue writing, I really did enjoy reading the greater story of how Dearborn came to be saved. Regards, Ppfzz.

WhiteTailDarkTipWhiteTailDarkTip10 months agoAuthor

Okay, so someone gave this story a 1 star rating which is to say they hated it(!) For a writer this is a little bit chastening but, hey, not everyone’s going to like what you do and set against the positive reviews I can take it (*sob*)

But people, please, please, please, tell us hapless authors, toiling away by candlelight in our lonely garrets, why you hate/love what we do!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous