All of Us Fit in Our Places

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"For God's sake, Judes!"

"God's sake, nothing! Now, get out of my way and let me do my job!"

She gathered the cleaning trug and swept out of the utility, the ponytail of her rich chestnut hair switching angrily.

Anastacia followed her to the door, but the words she was about to say died on her lips as she saw Mrs Took by the entrance to the breakfast room.

"Good morning, Miss!" the other woman greeted her, her expression professionally neutral and pointedly not watching the assistant housekeeper slam out into the corridor.

Anastacia let her breath out. "I'm sorry if we've disturbed you, Mrs Took. Judy and I were having a slight disagreement."

Mrs Took set a basket of vegetables from the kitchen garden down on the table.

"No skin off my nose, dear. We wouldn't be human if we didn't have a bit of a barney from time to time."

"Judes doesn't think she's family, but she is. You all are."

The older woman snorted. "That's lovely of you to say that Miss, but the truth of the matter is that we can be let go. You can't."

"No-one would do that!"

Mrs Took put her head on one side and inspected the young firebrand. The certainties of youth!

"No-one, Anastacia?"

Mrs Took only used her first name when she was being serious, and Anastacia frowned. She knew very well who the cook was referring to.

"Giles wouldn't!"

"He can't now but in the future, who knows?"

Anastacia looked mulish. "I won't let him."

Mrs Took smiled and said nothing and the younger woman knew that she was being foolish.

***

Em inspected her chest and sighed.

Rosemary looked up from where Jason was dozing on her lap.

"What is it?"

"I'm going to lose these soon. It was quite nice to have boobs again."

"What on earth are you talking about?"

"When I stop breast feeding, my milk will go, and I'll be back to saggy."

Rosemary was baffled. "So do something about it!"

Her spouse studied her. "It's nature, you can't do anything about that."

Rosemary scoffed. "I've enjoyed having tits and I know Jen has, so as soon as I'm done, I'm going to have a boob job."

Em was astonished. "Seriously?"

"Sure. Not a big one, I don't want to look like Dolly, and can you imagine the weight? No, just a B or a C cup. See what the surgeon recommends."

Rosemary always had the power to surprise her, Em thought. Plastic surgery would never have occurred to her. David had never passed comment on her figure, and she loved him for that, but she'd seen his eyes light up when she was pregnant.

It was now five years since her ... proposal to David and she'd changed so much. Proof, if proof were needed, was sitting across the room from her, wearing a wry smile as she watched the cogs turn in Em's head.

"So, d'you want to go together? Moral support!"

Em chuckled. "Bloody woman!"

"That's a yes, then. Give it six months and we'll go on a little trip together and get ready to photograph their faces when we get back!"

"You're a wicked girl, Rosemary!"

***

Propositions

Federico Mollica let Charles Stanforth into the house. He stepped back and looked the younger man up and down and gave a short nod.

They went downstairs to the kitchen. Charles recognised the sentiment; this was the heart of the house.

Anna's father bade him sit and offered him a glass of wine. Charles accepted and Fred did the honours. He sat down across the corner of the table from Charles.

"Say what you have come to say, young man."

"I come to ask for your daughter's hand in marriage, Signor Mollica."

The other cracked a crooked smile. "You seek to charm me?"

"Not at all. I simply wish to observe the proper forms."

"I let a dreamer into my family the last time this happened, Mr Stanforth. Are you a dreamer?"

Charles smiled wryly. "I dream of fortune for my family and for my loved ones."

"Hnh." The older man pursed his lips.

"I have no sons, Mr Stanforth. David Piper is proving to be a challenge."

"To us all," Charles murmured.

Fred Mollica spared him a dry look.

Charles cleared his throat, "I will be a steadfast companion to your daughter and an asset to your household."

His future father-in-law considered this, and then gave another short nod. They clinked glasses, and there was silence for a few moments.

"May we speak candidly, Mr Stanforth?"

"I'd assumed that we already were."

"Jennifer's husband concerns me, as does her ... partner, Rosemary. I do not know what to make of this, this ..." his voice tailed off and he waved a hand in the air.

Charles smiled.

"David has his own code and, while unconventional, it is an honourable one. You need have no fears on those grounds.

As for Ms Desai, she is an interesting individual, I grant you. However, I can confirm that her loyalty to your daughter and her partners is unswerving."

Fred frowned. Charles continued.

"Marjorie Barrett is the counterweight to Rosemary and, intriguingly for two such disparate individuals, her firm friend. As a unit I am sometimes reminded of infantry squares.

If I may be so bold, I think you should seek to engage with your daughter's," he paused and smiled, "ensemble. They have much to recommend them."

"Hnh"

***

September

It was hot on the station platform and there was no breeze to be found. Anna fanned herself desultorily with a magazine she'd picked up from the free stand by the entrance. Charles' train was running ten minutes late. He'd had to put the Aston into the garage for something or other so was reduced to slumming it, doubtless in First Class.

Finally, it pulled in and she stood, jigging from foot to foot, while she looked for him in the press of people that spilled from the open doors.

And then, as in all the best novels, the crowds parted and there he was, like he'd stepped out of a fin-de-siecle romance.

Anna's heart was a caged bird in her chest.

He turned and saw her. The corners of his mouth curled into a smile and somehow her feet were running. Moments later she threw herself and he folded her to him.

"Anna, my dear," he said from somewhere above her.

She removed her face from his chest to look up at him. The diffuse sunlight from the glass ceiling broke around him like a halo.

"I think it's about time I asked you to marry me."

She looked at him, mute for a moment, and he stared back at her, one eyebrow raised in question.

She hit him in the chest with her fist.

"Don't look at me like that! As if I was ever going to say anything other than yes!" she said, fiercely.

"I should have listened to David," he murmured. "Don't wed your fortunes to the Mollicas, you'll never know a moment's peace."

Anna hit him again, then wrapped her arms around him and hugged him tightly, while he gently stroked her hair. Words, as so often between them, were unnecessary.

***

At Dearborn a couple of weeks later, Charles explained that he would be busy most of the morning being brought up to speed on the management of the estate.

The weather had turned fine, and armed with a map of the estate, Anna decided to explore.

Leaving the house, she took the path out of the yard down to the trees that formed the eastern edge of the estate.

After half a mile or so, the path curved round to the south and met a tall hedge. Climbing the stile, she could see fields on the other side.

Dearborn was mainly arable, with side-lines in venison from the deer in the park, and a toehold in the nascent English winemaking industry.

From what Charles had told her, it was less of a strategy than a gamble on anything that might turn a profit.

In the lee of the trees there was little wind and the sun beat down. Anna started to work up a sweat as the soil grew lighter, the heat coming up in waves off the ground.

The path inclined upwards and when she paused and looked back, she realised she was now looking down on the park. Reassured that she was not lost, she turned again and crested the rise a few minutes later.

Rows of vines stretched away down the south facing slope in front of her. In the distance she could see two figures among the vines.

She walked down the side of the field, gradually getting nearer, but out of the line of the planting she didn't have a clear view. Their voices started to become audible, and she realised they were arguing.

One voice became clear before the other and with a grimace she recognised Giles' harsher vowels. They had a characteristic twang and she wondered if he'd spent time in South Africa. He seemed to be telling the other to 'get a grip'.

She edged closer, suddenly feeling like an intruder. Quite by chance, a mature oak tree at the edge of the path offered some cover as a clear line of sight opened up in the regular spacing. Without the intervening foliage they were only about twenty metres distant, and their voices were suddenly sharp and clear.

Anna recognised Perry. Seriously, what sadist names their child after a famous television character? The sort that christen their child Richard when their surname's Turpin, she thought.

Perry was shorter than Giles and was in any case standing downslope, putting him at a serious height disadvantage. Something that Giles was using to dominate the other, jabbing his finger at Perry.

"You better pull your finger out, Pezza."

"Don't call me that, you know I don't like it."

"You're staff and I'll call you whatever I want. You can go and work elsewhere if you don't like it."

"Mr Stanforth-"

"Dad's yesterday's man. It'll not be too long before I'm running the show and you'll want to keep me sweet, won't you, Perry?"

To Anna's astonishment, Giles lightly ran his knuckles down the young man's jaw. Perry's eyes closed and he leaned into the caress.

Giles took hold of Perry's lapel and pulled him into a kiss. The other man melted into his arms and their embrace grew more passionate.

Then Giles was pushing Perry to his knees and Anna put her hand to her mouth as Giles freed his erection. In horror, she watched a quick succession of lust, shame, and longing pass across Perry's face, as he curled his fingers round Giles' shaft and opened his mouth.

Giles grasped Perry's head and started to pump in and out, the distended purple crown disappearing between Perry's lips. Perry's arms hung limply by his sides as he dutifully worked his tongue and lips, sucking to maximise Giles' pleasure.

Unable to tear herself away, she endured the grim spectacle until Giles came with a grunt. Perry tried to pull away, but Giles held him in place, filling his mouth with ejaculate. Abruptly, Perry freed himself and fell to his hands and knees, spitting and gagging.

Giles laughed as he tidied himself up. "You'll never make a good queer if you don't learn to love the taste of jissom, Pezza." Turning on his heel he strode from the scene, leaving the other among the vines.

Anna shrank back around the bole of the tree hoping that Giles wouldn't notice her but within a minute or so he'd disappeared in the direction of the house.

She dithered, not wanting to confess that she'd been a voyeur but neither wanting to leave Perry in distress. After a moment, compassion won out and she hurried between the vines to where he was starting to get to his feet.

He looked up sharply at the sound of her approach, possibly fearing Giles' return, then relaxed as he recognised her.

He brushed the dust from his knees and then stiffened again realising how quickly she'd appeared after Giles left. He looked at her suspiciously as she came up to him and hovered, unsure what to say.

"Are you ... are you alright, Perry?"

He straightened and looked at her wearily. "You saw," he said, flatly.

She blushed and looked down.

"Poor excuse for a poof, ain't I?" There was a note of self-loathing in his voice and Anna winced.

"Why do you let him use you like that?"

"Why do you think?"

They stood for a minute and then he turned. "I'll walk you back to the house if you like."

They walked in silence. Anna could feel waves of hurt radiating from him.

Halfway back to the house he burst out, "I can't help it, alright?"

Anna didn't know what to say. Perry looked angry and miserable and there was nothing she could think of to comfort him.

"He's horrible, I know. He treats me like dirt, yet I still run after him wherever he clicks his fingers. I just feel like I'm stuck in some awful loop, the same thing happening over and over again."

Anna took a half step towards him and awkwardly put her hand to his shoulder. Perry stared at it and then at her.

"Why do you care, you don't even know me."

"I don't like to see someone in pain," she paused, "and I don't like to see cruelty."

***

October

Since their row in the scullery, Judy and Anastacia had done their best to avoid one another. In truth, that wasn't difficult, the house was large and then there was the estate. Anastacia like to make herself useful around the place and that generally meant being outdoors.

However, this day, Elaine Tomlinson and Mrs Cane were absent, so Anastacia was helping Judy with housework.

Judy emerged from the lift with armfuls of bed linen as Anastacia attempted to enter it with bags of the same but used. With neither of them really looking where they were going, they collided smartly in the doorway of the lift.

With a shriek, Anastacia lost her balance and started to fall. In reflex they tried to hold each other and only succeeded in bringing Judy down to sit beside her on the floor.

Initially Judy was cross, but the other woman was chuckling and after a moment Judy started to laugh with her.

Anastacia looked sideways at her, marvelling at her beautiful blue eyes, the light dusting of freckles across her nose and cheeks. Her heart pounded in her chest, and she leaned across to kiss Judy on the cheek.

Judy sighed and turned her head so that she could return the kiss on Anastacia's lips. Her hand came up to cup Anastacia's cheek and their kiss became more intense, Judy's tongue pushing between the other woman's lips.

Anastacia could feel her breasts tighten and her nipples grow stiff. She took Judy's hand and placed it on her chest. Judy needed little encouragement, gently kneading the softness, and Anastacia broke the kiss to moan quietly.

"Oh Judes!"

"What?" Judy replied, teasingly.

"I thought you'd sworn off me."

"Silly. You know I can't resist you."

"You do an excellent job of trying."

Judy's hands were under Anastacia's blouse, cradling her breasts and stroking her nipples with her thumbs.

"Come to my room, Judes."

Judy's face fell. "You know I can't, Stacia. I'm supposed to be at work."

"Mrs Cane's away today. And Elaine. Who would know?"

"Your brother has a nose for it. Probably because he's an expert in work avoidance himself."

Anastacia snorted, that was true enough.

"Heaven help us when he's in charge."

Judy nodded gloomily, taking her hands from inside Anastacia's clothes; the mood killed stone dead.

They sat side by side in silence for a little while before Anastacia knelt and set about reassembling Judy's bundle. Judy watched her for a moment before sighing and getting up to help her.

Their hands met briefly on a laundry bag and Judy took the opportunity to give the other's hand a little squeeze.

"One day, Stacia. One day."

Anastacia nodded and they went their separate ways.

As the lift door closed, Judy saw her lover skip once or twice as she made her way along the landing, and a smile touched her lips.

***

November

Jen opened the door to her sister.

"Anna! What a lovely surprise! Why didn't you tell me you were coming?"

They embraced and Anna held her sister at arms' length.

"This group marriage thing seems to agree with you."

"It's wonderful, Anna. Three wonderful people and four wonderful children."

Jen looked down at her rings.

"With Rosie and Em it's like a whole new level. I now have three people that I trust absolutely. With my life."

She paused and looked sideways at her sister.

"And for whom I would give my life."

There was a time when such passion and intensity would have baffled Anna. Now, not so much.

"I never understood why you did half the things you do until I met Charles."

There was a heavy frame on the wall. In it was one large picture with three smaller ones underneath. In the main image the four adults stood side by side, arm in arm; Em was on one end next to David. Rosemary was on the opposite end next to Jen.

The row was bookended with Em and Rosemary's sons, Martin and Jason, each perched on a maternal hip. The family portrait was rounded out by Josh and Tilly who were kneeling in front of their parents.

Underneath were three smaller frames from the moments before the main shot. Children were being organised, infants corralled and passed, Em with her hands on her hips in exasperation, Rosemary unguardedly looking at Jen in adoration, David widening his eyes to Jason to make him laugh, Tilly making a grab for Josh. And in each frame, Jen glowed with happiness.

The two sisters stood arm in arm looking at the picture.

Anna glanced at Jen. "Smug cow."

Jen giggled. "It's a good thing I don't believe in karma. Anyway, you didn't tell me why you're here."

"Charles proposed."

Jen spun round to take her hands. "He didn't!"

"And I said 'yes'."

Jen seized her sister and dragged her into the garden where Em and Rosie had taken the opportunity of the boys' afternoon nap to do some weeding in the border.

"Rosie! Em! Anna's going to marry Charles!"

"About bloody time," Rosemary muttered as she accepted Em's offer of a hand up. They hurried over to exchange hugs with the embarrassed Anna.

"So, when's the big day?" Em asked.

"Charles said that your not-wedding gave him inspiration. We're aiming for Midsummer's Day next year. Seven months isn't a lot, but the estate staff are really enthusiastic. Charles was quite touched. I don't think he realised how much they all like him and Stacia and Byron."

"Not what's-his-name?" Jen asked.

Anna's face drew down.

"Giles. No, he's awful."

Her sister blinked. Anna was rarely so emphatically negative about anyone.

"He calls me 'The Scribbler'," Anna said, acidly. "I struggle to keep my cool around him. He's got a special talent."

"I wouldn't let that stop me," Rosemary sniffed.

"Yes, but you're different, dear," Em said, patting her on the shoulder.

Her spouse glared at her and then turned back to Anna.

"You don't have to go in for hand-to-hand combat, but you can't give way to knobs like that."

Anna chuckled. "There'll only be a handful of people at the church. but the evening do is going to be massive."

Later, Rosemary's words came back to her, and Anna's lips firmed.

***

Perry was standing in the larger potting shed looking at the work schedule for the next six weeks when there was a knock at the door.

"Come in," he shouted without turning round.

He heard the door open and close and after a moment looked round. A young woman was standing just inside the door. It was hard to make out her face as the windows either side of the door put her in shadow.

"Yes?"

"I'm looking for a job, Mr Mason."

She had a beautiful voice, even and clear and Perry blinked. The voice that launched a thousand ships, eh? He made a private bet her looks wouldn't match up.

"How did you know where to find me?"

"I called at the house and Mrs Cane sent me down here. She said that there was work going."

"She's not wrong. I've had two people move on in the last month. Okay, come into the office and let's have a chat."

He walked away without looking to see if she was following and flopped down into the distressed armchair in front of the desk in the adjacent room.