All of Us Fit in Our Places

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Rosemary! What's been going on?"

Rosemary said nothing but stared at the joined hands.

Stacia's companion noticed first and tried to disengage but Stacia was having none of it.

"Oh, for God's sake, Judes! We're as good as engaged and this woman will understand!"

Rosemary gave her a wry smile and quirked her eyebrows at Judy, who frowned charmingly. She waved a hand to indicate that they should sit and then brought them up to speed.

"Giles drugged Naomi!" Stacia said, aghast.

Judy exploded. "Oh, for God's sake, Stacia, have you had your eyes closed all this time? Did you never wonder where Steph Grange and Nat Burleigh disappeared to?"

She shook her head.

Stacia's mouth was partly open as the gap between employer and employee was laid bare in all its awful abusive potential to her for the first time.

Judy's eyes met Rosemary's and with a little shock she realised that Rosemary understood very well indeed.

"Don't be too hard on her, Judy. Do fish see the water they swim through? You'll have to keep her feet on the ground, yes?"

The redhead looked at their joined hands and at her girlfriend who was still processing Giles' behaviour. Then she tugged Stacia's hand hard. Startled the other woman came back to herself and looked questioningly at her partner.

"Yes, I accept. If only to keep you on the straight and narrow."

Stacia flung her arms about Judy and hugged her.

Rosemary waited patiently and then, "Now, this is all very lovely, but about Naomi."

Stacia blinked. "What about her?"

"She needs a role."

***

Naomi jumped when Rosemary slinked round a tentpole next to her. She'd been doing her best to avoid the woman all evening. Anastacia and Judy Finch were with her and, were they holding hands?

"Hello, Naomi."

"Mrs Piper," she responded formally. "Stacia, Judy."

"Oh, come now, we don't need to do that. You're embarrassed to see me, I know, but there's no need. Nothing of that evening will ever be public. I had to tell a couple of people, but I think we can trust them to be discreet."

Naomi's eyes flicked to Stacia and Judy, and she groaned. Their expressions were a terrible mixture of sympathy and pity.

Rosemary was speaking. "One of the waiters had a word with me after we confronted Giles."

She briefly inspected the knuckles on her right hand.

"Do you know the phrase 'date rape' Naomi? It seems that Giles made a habit of spiking peoples drinks."

Naomi stared at her and sank into a chair. "It was just a bit of E."

"You sure about that? And did you ask him to? The thing is, Naomi, for Charles and your sister, the estate and its people are things to be cared for, whereas for Giles they're things to be played with."

"Oh, Naomi!" Stacia said and reached out, but the other woman shrugged her off.

"Did you know your mum has never called me that? Whenever she acknowledges that I actually exist, I'm 'that girl'. I'm the ghost in the house."

"But Naomi-" Stacia started.

"But nothing!" Naomi snapped. "I'm not family, am I? I'm just Dad's bastard daughter that he had to take in after Mum overdosed. And he's no bloody use, holed up in his precious library. He's never there when I need him, I'm not his fucking golden girl, am I? And now I'll have this business hung round my neck for evermore!"

Naomi's face crumpled and she put her head in her hands.

Judy glared at Stacia, putting her hands to her temples like a horse's blinkers, before turning to put her arm round the sobbing woman.

Rosemary acknowledged this with a tilt of her head and a purse of her lips.

"Yes, you will but it doesn't have to define you. What's done is done is a cliché because it's true. What matters is what you do now. Which, not entirely coincidentally, is what we're here to talk to you about."

Confused by the abrupt change in subject, Naomi looked up.

"I've taken care of Giles. Everything else is settling into place and that just leaves you."

Naomi stared at her. "What are you going to do?"

"Me? Nothing, I hope. Just cast an eye over Stacia's shoulder from time to time to make sure she's not squandering my investment. She's in charge now."

"Anastacia!" She stared at her step-sister who grinned.

"The very same. Fancy a job, Naomi?"

"Me? What would I do?"

"You're artistic. Don't think I haven't seen you sneaking into Gran's sewing room. Do you think you could do web design? PR?"

Naomi looked uncertainly between Judy's fierce expression, Stacia's hopeful one and Rosemary's alarming self-possession.

Then a little kernel of certainty formed inside her. If Rosemary said it was so, then it was so.

"Yes!"

***

Rosemary found herself next to David.

"Y'know, I seem to be quite good at this rescue business."

"You did say that you needed to find something to do after the parties. Seems you've found it."

Suddenly brimming over with good cheer, she grabbed him, hugged him as hard as she could and kissed him firmly on the lips.

"Oof! What's this in aid of?"

"I love you, David Piper and I'm so glad I met you!" she whispered into his ear.

"I seem to remember you threatened me and then you blackmailed me," he murmured in return.

She held him at arm's length and adopted a serious expression. "What have we said about living in the past?"

David laughed out loud and gathered her back in for another embrace.

"Should I be worried?" said a voice they both knew well.

"Darling!" they said as one.

***

Dramatis Personae

Pipers

David. Our initial protagonist. Appears first in David and Jen

Jen (Jennifer). David's 'first' wife. Appears first in David and Jen

Tilly. David and Jen's daughter. Appears first in David and Jen

Josh. David and Jen's son. Appears first in David and Jen

Rosemary. Jen's wife - formerly Desai and then Ogilive. Appears first in David and Jen

Em (Marjorie). David's 'second' wife - formerly Barrett. Appears first in David and Jen

Jason. Rosemary's son.

Martin. Em's son.

Mollicas

Federico (Fred). Jen and Anna's father. Appears first in Piper Plus

Jean. Jen and Anna's mother. Appears first in David and Jen

Anna. Jen's older sister. Appears first in David and Jen

Dearborn (Stanforths)

Charles. Eldest son. David's senior at Cross and Anna's fiancé. Appears first in Piper Plus

Giles. Second born. Charles' brother and Heir to Dearborn. Appears first in Piper Plus

Naomi. Charles' half-sister. Appears first in Piper Plus

Anastacia (Stacia). Charles's sister.

Byron. Charles' youngest brother and Anastacia's twin.

Monica. Charles' mother and Master of Dearborn.

Paul. Charles' father .

Dearborn (Others)

Edna Took. Cook (the rhyme was not intentional) .

Judy Finch. Assistant housekeeper.

Mike Harper. Gardener.

Valerie Cane. Housekeeper.

Perry Mason. Estate manager.

Eleanor Price. Deputy estate manager.

Kimberley (Kim) Wallace. Consultant obstetrician.

Wayne Thompson. Wine maker.