All Comments on 'All That Glitters Ch. 07'

by bigtddybr

Sort by:
  • 16 Comments
lc69hunterlc69hunterabout 4 years ago
stay with it,

I am following.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Short but sweet

I have been a fan since you first started this series and I hope to keep reading this for a long time still. Hope you are well and can No wait for the next chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Nice story but....

The discription of medal handouts was way longer than the actual fight which is not good.

bigtddybrbigtddybrabout 4 years agoAuthor

Combat has aptly been described as hours of anxious waiting followed by a few minutes of sheer terror followed by hours of tedium. In the vast distances described in this story line, where a light second is equivalent of 300,00 km, 28 sec light is 8.4 million km. Sub-light speeds means 28 sec light can easily turn into 15-20 min flight time versus a few seconds. Lots of time to think, to panic, and to prepare for the inevitable. But, with all the travel time, the actual battle is over quickly. The Battle of Liramor-23 was over in 34 min, but that included travel time, so yes, it took longer to hand out the medals (and describe it) than it took to fight the battle (and describe it). I understand that you wanted more action, but my story is about the people. That said, I'll try to draw out any future battles (and yes, I do plan a few).

Steve150177Steve150177almost 4 years ago
Awesome Space Opera, but

I'm rereading this great story, while waiting for ch 18. Please hurry.

This is Space Opera because hard science is not used.

For example, Clark is moving the alien capsule. He uses a small engine. OK, so far.

He pushes on it a little and it is moving at 30% of light speed. He stops pushing so hard and it slows to 27% and then to 25% of light speed.

There are 2 problems here. 1] It would take months to reach 30% of light speed with a "small engine". 2] When you stop pushing so hard, ships don't slow down. They just loose acceleration not speed. Even if he had stopped the engine completely, the capsule would still be going at 30% of light speed, until he turned the whole thing around so the engine could fire in the opposite direction to slow it down.

But, this is Space Opera and hard science just gets in the way of the story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Really enjoying this story.

Sometimes the navy stuff, is not as interesting g to me, so I just skip it. Sorry not my cuppa. But the rest of the story. Very interesting story though, I am really enjoying it. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Great work, though drags.

I appreciate the story a lot, but i think it can be further improved with more intuitive pacing. The combat scenes were well thought out, but its not that they were short, they lacked substance. For example: medal awards provided: 1) who receives themedal; 2) what action in particular 3) reasoning behind who presents it; 4) additional informaton on the interal relationships; 5) full id and titles for all.... to contrast: here is what COULD have been added to the battle/prelarations: 1) specific reason for attack; 2) internal comms of the enemy 3) relationships between enemy ships 4) impacts in realtime of the defense systems on the enemy ships personnel and morale; 5) etc... TLD;DR: You paint a VERY vivid picture when it comes to medals, but leave the battle as an abstract drawing of a grassy field.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
repetive intro

U should skip the acraname intro once is enough 😎

zorb1970zorb1970about 3 years ago

Great story. By me screw reality, we get reality upto our gills everyday. This is something we need to cheer us up when reality of every day life is taking the sledgehammer.

Dreamdog519Dreamdog519over 2 years ago

I love this story! This is the second time reading it, the detail is astounding!

mistwolf_2kmistwolf_2kabout 1 year ago

I find it exceptionally hilarious that the Mc has told the station director precisely what to say and how to act in regards to authority and the navy, in addition to providing the tech and knowledge for their defense. Yet she is riding his coat tails, getting promoted above him and heaped with commendations, and he gets little

recognition and the cookie cutter ribbon. God if that is military command in a nutshell.

firehorseukfirehorseukabout 1 year ago

"and the Rockhounds causing significant damage to the four Rockhounds that repeatedly attacked it."

Sounds like Rockhounds attacking Rockhounds

"I don't give a dam" -> damn

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Jeez do you have some huge hard on for the navy or something? This hurt to read. Awful

greenbeardlkgreenbeardlk6 months ago

like the story. for all of the complaints abut the military portions. get a life fictional story about a fictional universe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Maybe I'm missing something, but I find pages of handing out awards uninteresting. It crossed my mind it was filler material to complete a chapter?!

Damonkey916Damonkey9162 months ago

Maybe being a U.S. Navy veteran makes me a bit biased, but I enjoyed the fact that the author wrote an awards ceremony. Yes, it was long winded. Most ceremonies are.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userbigtddybr@bigtddybr
20 Apr 2024. Ch. 65 is nearing completion. Hopefully it will go to the editors by the end of next week. I want to put out at least one chapter per month. The new version of the Notes chapter (v 14), was finally posted. I do not know why it takes so long to post these Notes cha...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES