All That Glitters Ch. 27

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Jurte Pair left the Command Council Chamber and moved out into the Command Deck of the Koh-Tan.

"Status of the fleet?" Kur-Han snapped.

"Ready, My Jurte," Ma-Ret Rai spoke immediately. "All ships ahead of us are ready to fire on your command, My Jurte."

"At a range of one mur light cycle?" Sha-Ret sneered. "The impact would not hurt a Flettary Wing, the plasma beam power would be largely dissipated by the time it reached them."

"Should we increase speed then, My Jurte, in order to bring us closer to our quarry?" Ma-Ret asked.

"The ships have disappeared," Science snapped to bring the Jurte Pair back into the situation.

"They are behind us, My Jurte!" Science told them a few mur later. "Six vessels two mur light cycles to our rear!"

"Six? Where is the seventh vessel?" Sha-Ret demanded.

"There!" Science stated several mur later. "Six mur light cycles ahead and four mur light cycles to our right, My Jurte." An image of one of the ships came up, showing it following a small planetoid.

"They have launched something toward the planetoid, My Jurte!" Science remarked.

As they watched, the vessel winked out of existence. But Mind-Hur suspected where it might go. She was proved right not long after.

"The seventh ship is now in formation with the other vessels behind us," she reported to the Jurte Pair.

"The object that was fired at the planetoid is somewhat larger than the probes we have been trying to capture," science told them.

"What of the planetoid?" Sha-Ret asked, suddenly frightened but not knowing why.

"The planetoid is approximately eighteen mindel in diameter, My Jurte," Science told her immediately. "It is composed of mostly dirt with a density that would give it a small bit of gravity, enough to force the planetoid into a rough sphere."

"The object is about to impact the planetoid, My Jurte," Science stated.

Suddenly, the planetoid disappeared in burst of incredibly bright light. The light stretched out for some distance before diffusing into the background radiation. They could, however, see a shock wave make its way toward the fleet. Shortly afterward, the shockwave hit the fleet with enough force to rattle the ships, but not to cause damage.

It took a few mur for the strong radiation effects to dwindle to the point that the Koh-Tan could contact the other ships. No one had suffered any damage.

Suddenly, a new image appeared amongst the images of the Commanders of the great ships. It was Raymond Clark. He was seated with two other Terrans on what was obviously the bridge of a ship, presumably one of those following the fleet. Another of the Terrans stood behind Raymond Clark, most likely a personal guard. That was significant, as the others did not have a guard.

"What you have just witnessed is a demonstration of the power we have at our disposal to wage war with," the Terran stated without preamble. "One missile was sent against that planetoid, it utterly destroyed it. You do not have to take my word for that, use your sensors to see if anything is left of the target.

"Such a missile, launched against your fleet in its current configuration, would have destroyed your fleet completely. One missile, should we wish to do that.

"What is more important to you is to think what would happen if such a missile were launched against the Emperor's capital. Thirty mindel of the capital would cease to exist, while the remaining portion of the city would be severally damaged by the resulting shock wave. The entire population of your great city would be virtually wiped out, with one missile.

"Each of our ships holds more than one of these types of missiles. We have thousands of ships of this size, armed in like manner.

"We told you before that we do not play at war. When we make war, our purpose is to ensure the enemy can never make war against us again. You have now seen proof of this. I know you recorded it. You may send the recording to your home world with tomorrow's probe.

"Incidentally, stop attempting to capture our probe. They are designed to explode in a manner similar as to what you have just witnessed. The probes are somewhat smaller than the missile we just launched. But they are more then capable of annihilating any of the great ships that takes it on board, should they detonate.

"You have seen our power and heard our warning. Now, YOU will dictate to us what will happen in the future, whether we will hold peaceful dialogue, or go to war.

"I wish you a good day." The image suddenly faded.

"The ships have disappeared, My Jurte!" Science called out.

The fear that had been a small lump in her stomach suddenly blossomed fully throughout Sha-Ret's entire body.

"They can completely destroy our planet," she said to no one in particular, with enough conviction to frighten everyone within hearing...

The Wanderer, In Transit

"So, do you think we got their attention?" Henadi asked of Raymond.

"I hope so, otherwise we will be at war with them soon enough," Raymond replied.

"Do you not think they will just pretend to want dialogue while looking for ways around this issue?" Gillaya asked, she was on the bridge because Raymond was there.

"Oh I don't expect them to roll over like good little puppies this soon," Raymond admitted. "They will likely try things over the next few months. But we are not going to let them into the Union for some time, if ever. They are far too aggressive to be accepted as is.

"No, our best bet is to isolate them from humanity until such time as significant changes occur in their society. We need to find a means to keep them out of the Union, until such time as they learn to be more civilized. We can force a dialogue within their society, but we cannot force any particular outcome. That will be up to them.

"The Warrior Class needs to lose strength within their society, becoming just another class of their people and not it's dominant force. That will not happen quickly, I suspect," he finished.

There was silence for a moment until Gillaya spoke again...

"I'm so disappointed in your crew," Gillaya said with a pout.

"How so?" asked Henadi, not really wanting to hear whatever the oversexed vixen was about to say but knowing she couldn't avoid it.

"None of them are romantics," Gillaya replied.

"Come again?" Henadi asked, confused.

Gillaya gave a large, affected sigh. "What's the difference between high speed in spaceship, and high speed in a planet-bound ground vehicle?" she asked, loudly enough for all on the bridge to hear.

A confused Henadi looked around the bridge, getting confused looks in return.

"OK, what's the difference?" Henadi asked, knowing she probably didn't want the answer from Gillaya.

"Bugs on the windshield," Gillaya answered, then deliberately started counting on her fingers, making a show of it to Henadi.

"But there are no windshields on space vessels," someone on the bridge said, before Gillaya had counted to four.

Gillaya looked pointedly at Henadi. "See," she said. "No romanticism."

Henadi heard a snigger and looked to her right to see Raymond attempting to hide a smile behind his hand.

"OK. I can take one for the ship," Henadi said, deliberately looking at Gillaya. "But you're going to have to teach the crewmen your views on romance, and trust me, Gillaya, if you turn this ship into some kind of Roman Orgy, I'll shove you out an airlock myself," she snarled at Gillaya.

"Geez! Navy people have no sense of ha-ha, Raymond," she pouted at her boss, who finally couldn't hold back any longer and burst into laughter, much to the annoyance of Henadi.

The Emperor's Command Council, Piscium A Society Home World

The Emperor Se-Lam Roe watched as the message came from the Fleet Shem. The holographic form of the Jurte Pair was prostrate before him, intoning the traditional greeting to the Emperor.

"Greetings to the Emperor Se-Lam Roe, his Empress Na-Maj Se-lam Raie, and his Command Council," the Jurte Pair intoned.

"My Emperor," Kur-Han Kai-Ro began. "Earlier this cycle, the enemy sent seven ships against us. They appeared suddenly one mur light cycle in front of the Fleet Shem.

"Though their bows were pointed at us, they were moving with the same speed as the fleet, thus keeping distance from us. This, after jumping into common space in front of the fleet."

An image of one of the vessels appeared on the holograph. They showed strange looking, oval shaped ships that were muted black in colour. A colour that would allow these ships to simply disappear against the background of space, had the fleet's sensors not been locked onto the ships. The ships had what appeared to be weapons on their backs and bellies, even on the sides of the vessels.

"The ships then jumped two mur light cycles behind this vessel but only six of the vessels jumped there initially," Kur-Han continued. "The seventh vessel was soon spotted six mur light cycles in front of and four mur light cycles to the right of the fleet. It was following a planetoid approximately eighteen Mindel in circumference My Emperor.

"The enemy ship launched a missile at the planetoid, which utterly vaporized it, My Emperor. Yes, My Emperor, vaporized. There was absolutely nothing left of the planetoid."

Again, Kur-Han stopped talking and they watched the planetoid as it was destroyed in a brilliant flash of light.

"The shockwave from the explosion rocked the entire fleet, My Emperor. Had they launched such a weapon at your Fleet Shem, it would have completely destroyed the fleet.

"What is worse, My Emperor, is that they claimed that the weapon, if launched at a city the size of the Emperor's Capital, would have vaporized thirty mindel of the city, the shock wave damaging much more around that impact point. Such an explosion would completely destroy the Emperor's capital, according to the Terran's, My Emperor. We have no reason to doubt their word on this issue, My Emperor," Kur-Han finished as the message from Raymond at the end of the demonstration of firepower was shown to the Emperor.

"They are capable of jumping great distances through space, My Emperor," Sha-Ret Sai-Rai took over from Kur-Han. "Their probes are moving daily between the Fleet Shem, the home world, and The Home Star. The proof of this is this message you are now seeing from your Fleet Shem, My Emperor.

"That their warships jumped in front of the fleet, and then behind the fleet in an instant, is warning enough of their abilities. That they vaporized a planetoid eighteen mindel in circumference is an indication that they do not exaggerate the power of their weapons, My Emperor.

"I believe that we are at a disadvantage to this enemy, My Emperor. We must, for now, agree to peaceful dialogue, until such time as we can acquire the weapons and jump capability that the Terrans have, My Emperor.

"In all other scenarios, the Terran's have the advantage over us, My Emperor. In the numbers of inhabitants, in the numbers of warships, in the quality of those warships, in the capabilities of their weapons, we are at a disadvantage, My Emperor.

"This enemy does not do make war as we make war, My Emperor. They plan to completely destroy the Emperor's three fleets, and every city on the home world. That is the way they wage war, My Emperor.

"I strongly suggest, My Emperor, that we accept peaceful dialogue with these Terrans. We await your orders, My Emperor, ready to respond in any manner that you desire of us, even if it means the destruction of this fleet, My Emperor," Sha-Ret finished, as the two once more prostrated before him.

"Long live Emperor Se-Lam Roe, his beautiful Empress Na-Maj Se-lam Raie, and their family. Strength, and power, be given by the gods to our Emperor!" the Jurte Pair gave the traditional ending to an audience with the Emperor. A moment later, the transmission ended.

Se-Lam Roe, was furious. That a Jurte Pair would surrender so suddenly to a warrior that they have not even fought! Outrageous.

"I will have their hides on my walls as warning to others who surrender so casually!" the Emperor screamed, his Command Council pulling away from him in abject fear.

"My love," the Empress Na-Maj Se-lam Raie interjected. "You have seen what these Strangers can do with their weapons. They do not fight like we do, we who conquer our enemy, who show our benevolence by giving them the life of a Kirlen. They annihilate their enemy. If their claims of numbers are true, they need not take Kirlen. With their numbers, there is no need.

"Remember the warning they sent to us before, when they said they make war to ensure the enemy can never again bring war to the people of their Union.

"The Jurte Pair is correct, my love. We must make arrangements to speak to them. But not here, not on the home world.

"I suggest that we do so on the Fleet Shem," the Empress said, rubbing her hand lovingly over Se-Lam's shoulder.

"And just how do you expect us to get to the Fleet Shem for these discussion?" the Emperor demanded. "Or do you expect the Jurte Pair that would surrender to our enemy to conduct these discussion?"

"No, my love," the Empress re-assured him. "We will simply ask them to bring our delegates to the fleet, where all discussion will take place. They have already offered to do this. We will take them up on this offer. This way, we have observers on their ship. We will be able to watch them as they do what they do. We will be able to determine for ourselves if we have the ability to make war on these people.

"For now, we will play the meek Pindar. We will open a dialogue with these creatures. We will watch, listen, and learn. And one day, we will go to war against them and destroy them," the Empress finished.

Se-Lam Roe smiled at his Empress. His Raie always gave the best advice.

The Command Council Chamber, The Emperors Fleet Shem, Interstellar Space

The stern visage of the Emperor and his Empress filled the holograph in the center of the council chamber. That they were angry was evident. Their voices, however, did not show that anger.

"To the Jurte Pair of the Fleet Shem," Emperor Se-Lam Roe began. "Know that we seriously discussed having you replaced as Jurte Pair when we first witnessed your recent message to us.

"My Empress, however, prevailed on me, letting me understand that you are working under a situation that none of us has been prepared for. You will remain as Jurte Pair, for now.

"We will follow your advice and begin a dialogue with these Strangers. However, YOU will not be selected to be those who will speak to the Strangers for our people.

"I order that you open a dialogue with the Terrans and demand that they provide transportation between the home world and the Fleet Shem, where we will conduct these talks, well away from the people of the home world.

"This will give us the opportunity to be on their ships, to watch, listen, and learn about our enemy. Perhaps even to learn about their science. We will draw out these talks, until such time as we see an advantage for the people.

"Make the arrangements for this transportation. I want as many as our people as we can get on their transport ship between the Fleet Shem and the home world. Do not fail me, or you will find yourselves Kirlen to the new Jurte Pair," the Emperor's image looked out at the council for a brief moment more before it dissipated.

"I expected that orders for our replacement would have come with this message," Kur-Han stated for all watching. "Not just us, as the Jurte Pair, but all of us as Commanders of our great ships as your fate is tied to your Jurte's fate.

"The Emperor is generous in his wisdom, letting us live, and retaining all of us in our positions of command and as Jurte Pair," Kur-Han finished.

"That means he understands the situation we face as a people," Sha-Ret put her thoughts in. "We must do our best to bring the resolution that the Emperor seeks. We will be meek and mild when we speak to these people, our talons sheathed, for now.

"Mind-Hur, prepare to send a message to our new 'friends'. We need to request transport for the Emperor's delegation," Sha-Ret ordered.

Conference Room One, Foxtrot Deck, Liramor-23, Piscium System

The Jurte Pair was much more conciliatory as their images spoke to the Terrans.

"We have been summarily impressed by the demonstration of your weapons capabilities," Kur-Han spoke. "Our Emperor has heard you speak the words of the destruction of our planet. We take this very seriously.

"The Emperor wishes to open a dialogue with your people; however, they do not want to frighten the people of the home world and ask that we begin this dialogue on the Koh-Tan Se-Lam Roe ot Shem. We, the Jurte Pair, are not empowered to conduct such high level talks with your people," Kur-Han ended.

"We ask," Sha-Ret Sai-Rai took over, "on behalf of our Emperor, that you provide transport to the delegation that will be empowered by the Emperor to conduct a dialogue between our peoples. We ask that you bring them here from the home world, if this is possible.

"The Emperor has a delegation of fifty that he would like to bring to the Fleet Shem. We ask that you provide transportation for this number.

"Please inform us of your decision soonest," Sha-Ret finished, inclining her head by way of ending the message.

"So," Fiona spoke, "they give the image of being nice little puppies, however, we have seen from the message the Emperor has sent that they do not intend to roll over meekly. Options?" she asked of her people.

"We can easily pick them up and bring them to the fleet," Dostier stated. "We would have to make sure that they would be kept away from sensitive information, while on board. Our ships can easily jump to make contact with the Fleet Shem and shuttle them over in a Combat shuttle or VIP shuttle."

"Why would they not let us conduct dialogue on board the ship that would act as transport?" asked Capt. Cage.

"They do not want the people to see our ships in the space around the home world," Capt. Hellebore interjected. "I suspect that might have an adverse affect on their ability to control the other Classes of people, should they suddenly think the Warrior Class could not defend them from a supposedly inferior species."

"We would still have to appear somewhere in their system," Capt. Florine said. "They could not stop the curious from seeing us."

"Yes, but us skipping into their system and then retreating each time, is better for the Warrior Class than us remaining in their system," Hellebore replied.

"Agreed," Ambs Charles Demoiné said. "The Warrior Class has to keep face somehow, by holding the talks at the Fleet Shem, they keep us out of their system for now."

"We are at a disadvantage no matter what we do unless we want to openly confront the Warrior Class," Fiona stated. "Which we do not want to do at this time. That may change, but for now I want peaceful dialogue, even if they have an ulterior agenda within their dialogue.

"We are, thanks to their less than sophisticated encryption capabilities, at least aware of their agenda. I want to keep that under our figurative hat for now. Let us see what we would have to do to act as good hosts to these people.

"Do we let them make all the proposals for the talks? Are we better off bringing them here to Liramor-23 to conduct these talks? Or are we better off conducting the talks in the Koh-Tan?" Fiona asked.

"Better to bring them here," Ambs. Michelle Halten said. "However, the embassy is not yet ready for them. For now, we will have to conduct our negotiations at the Fleet Shem."

"I want a full suite of options for these talks in the next few days," Fiona ordered. "We will let the Jurte Pair proposition us, and we will go back and forth for a few days before we decide on our stance.