All That Glitters Ch. 27

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Questions?" Fiona asked. There were none. "Any other points?"

"We may have gotten an unexpected break during the demonstration," Cdr. Teal spoke into the silence. "They indicated that they saw seven vessels, when in fact there were eight. I looked into why this was and found out that the Kennedy had activated her weapons shield. Apparently it confuses their sensors as she couldn't be seen by them. Had they looked with optics, they might have seen her, but they choose to use their sensors, so she remained hidden from them."

"That is useful knowledge," Capt. Dostier interposed. "We could make excellent use of that fact."

"Anything else?" Fiona asked.

"The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mnst. Charles Ronter, wishes to make a formal visit here," Ambs. Michelle Halten told Fiona. "He is our boss and he will set the agenda for these talks.

"That is incorrect," Fiona stated for the record. "The agenda has been set by the President, and we are following his orders. Should the minister deviate from those orders, we will act accordingly. Once the negotiations are underway, he can add items to the agenda. He is welcome to visit once the Embassy is open. That should be two weeks from now according to Mr. Baker.

"Any other issues?" Fiona asked once again. There were none.

"Right, we have made incredible progress for only ten weeks of dialogue with these people. I want us to stay on top of the situation no matter what. These people cannot have access to any of our science about weapons, Marilon/Aruna generators, or FTL drives. So we will have to act in accordance with that dictum.

"I want to speak to the UDC personnel, we are about to enter the negotiation phase of these talks, I will be relying on you more and more for your input. For the rest of you, unless you have something else that I need to see, you are dismissed," Fiona finished, rising and heading to her office, UDC in tow.

The Home World, Piscium A Society, Twelve Light Years from the Piscium System

The holographic image of the Jurte Pair from the Fleet Shem was again prostrate before the Emperor and his Command Council, giving the traditional greeting to the Emperor.

"My Emperor," Sha-Ret Sai-Rai began. "We have contacted the Strangers and have made your demands known to them for transportation to the Fleet Shem for your negotiation team.

"They have agreed to the demand but have placed a limit to ten members of the team for now, stating that preliminary discussions will not need a large team. On this we could not budge them, My Emperor.

"As they are transporting us, we will have to accept their demands unless we wish to cancel the negotiations? My Emperor," Sha-Ret finished.

"My Emperor," Kur-Han Kai-Rai took over. "We have the report from our senior scientist, Mind-Hur Tae, which is attached for your viewing, My Emperor.

"Long live Emperor Se-Lam Roe, his beautiful Empress Na-Maj Se-lam Raie, and their family. Strength, and power, be given by the gods to our Emperor!" The Jurte Pair finished the customary ending to an audience with the Emperor as the prostrated themselves before the Emperor. The image ended.

"Show me the message from the tech," the Emperor growled.

"My Jurte," Mind-Hur Tae began, bowing low to the ground in the customary greeting to the Jurte Pair. "I have the information that you have requested on the incident of the weapons demonstration by the Strangers.

"First, My Jurte, the ships entered common space in spectacular fashion. The energy wave that was associated with the ship's arrival, was many times the size of the energy wave that is normally displayed by the probe they usually sent. This is understandable, as the ships are somewhat larger.

"Each of the ships was 256 mand in length by 120 mand in width, with the exception of what we believe is their flag ship which is 400 mand in length by 240 mand in width.

"Six of the ships are slightly smaller than our combat ships, while the one is slightly larger. All seven ships are capable of jumping into and out of common space. They each displaced enough power on entering common space to rival the entire output of one of our reactors for three years. This is considerably larger than what we saw from the probe, My Jurte.

"This energy display was repeated when the ships jumped into common space behind the fleet, My Jurte.

"What is more, the energy is of a type that we do not recognize. We are unable to understand how they create it, or how they use it. Only that they can and do.

"However, this energy display paled in comparison to that of the weapon, My Jurte. The power that we recorded from the detonation was completely off the charts. It was like a small star had been created for the briefest of moments. The size of the fire ball was such that it completely encompassed the planetoid, a planetoid of 18.6 mindel in diameter, My Jurte.

"The destructive level of everything within the fire ball was complete. It literally annihilated everything. The planetoid simply ceased to exist. There are no historical records that rival or explain the destructive power that the Strangers hold, My Jurte.

"What is more, the shock wave from the detonation rocked the entire fleet, more than six mur light cycles in front of us and four mur light cycles to the right of us. The impact of the shock wave was still substantive at that distance. No damage was done to the ships but we still felt the impact, My Jurte.

"The Stranger, Raymond Clark, said that if this devise were detonated over the Emperor's capital that it would cease to exist. I have no doubt as to the veracity of his words, My Jurte. Such destructive power unleashed over a city would completely annihilate it. There would be few, if any survivors.

"Whatever we do in the upcoming negotiations, My Jurte, know that these people do not exaggerate their abilities to wage war against us. They can rain down destruction on us from orbit, destroying our cities one by one and we would not be able to stop it.

"Their ability to jump from place to place means they could jump into a fleet, launch weapons and jump away, much as they demonstrated in destruction of the planetoid. Even if they used ordinary weapons, they could unleash havoc on the fleet, My Jurte. We have no means to combat against them. We cannot see them until they enter common space. While I suspect the weapon they displayed was likely one of their most destructive weapons, I have no doubt that their less capable weapons could still cause severe damage to the fleet, My Jurte.

"As well, My Jurte, each of the ships carried two large gun turrets on the upper and lower halves of the ships, and a pair of smaller gun turrets on each side. We have not seen them use these weapons, so have no knowledge of their capabilities. I have no doubt, however, that those guns could probably do severe damage to their own ships, so will likely be effective against our combat ships if not our great ships.

"These ships also showed plasma drives of a type that we have never seen before, My Jurte. They seem to be using electrons to create a plasma drive of sorts that seems to act in pulses. That they have these engines seems to indicate that they need them for traversing common space. I am not sure if they are more or less effective than our great engines or our ion drives, however, if they have access to the kind of power we think they need to jump in and out of common space, then they have the kind of power to propel themselves at speed, which they clearly demonstrated by keeping up with the speed of the fleet.

"One last note, My Jurte, this new drive would allow them to move through the nebula that currently blocks us. The drive would not ignite the gasses in the nebula. They could come straight through it at any speed they desire with no risk to their ships. Such a drive would be useful to us, My Jurte.

"This completes my report, My Jurte." The image shut off as Mind-Hur Tae bowed to the Jurte Pair.

"Science!" snapped the Emperor.

"We are looking at the raw data now, My Emperor," his Minister-of-Science replied. "From what we can see, her reporting is accurate, My Emperor. These ships show a kind of electromagnetic energy as they enter common space that we have never encountered before. The power emanating from their entry into common space is staggering, My Emperor.

"The power from the fireball is completely off the charts, My Emperor. Mind-Hur was correct when she said the planetoid simply ceased to exist. These people created a small star for the briefest of moments, long enough to destroy the target, My Emperor.

"We see nothing to refute what Mind-Hur Tae has stated, My Emperor," the Minister-of-Science told him.

For the first time, a frisson of fear sparked through the Emperor. He realized that these people could indeed destroy the planet.

"We will have to select our ten carefully," the Emperor intoned, after some time of reflection.

Conference Room One, Liramor-23, Piscium System

At the end of the morning brief the next day, Fiona stood to make an announcement.

"David Latten, you are ordered to relinquish your position as Deputy Director of Liramor-23 and ordered to Lirmaor-18 mining platform as the Director of Operations for the platform.

"Congratulations, David. You have your new platform," Fiona finished to cheers from those in the room.

David was torn. On the one hand, he really did want to have his own platform. On the other, he was leaving friends and colleagues that he had known for years. It was a bittersweet moment.

Liramor Holdings HQ, Liramor Prime, Liramor System, 30ly from Terra

Fiona Marsh, Cdr. Damyanti Balakrishnan, David Latton, Raymond Clark, Liea Samson, Capt. Henadi Noor, Kim Oshiiru, Gillaya, Lissette Blanche, and Lynne Ducharme were at the graduation for the Liramor Holdings Senior Management Program 2485/A.

The ceremony was not as well attended as the introduction had been, as the President's and their entourages were not there. Only two news reporters were present, verses the twenty plus that had been there during the introduction. So only immediate family, friends and co-workers of the graduates were present. Fayad Piscium was graduating, and his wives, friends, and co-workers from Liramor-23 were there to see the ceremony.

As each of the members of the program stepped forward to receive their certificates from the hands of Antoine Liramor, they were cheered loudly by their respective family and friends. When Fayad's name was called a loud cheer went up from those there to witness his graduation, even more so from his two wives, who whistled, clapped and cheered for their husband.

After the brief presentation, Annette Liramor read out where the graduates were going to be posted within the companies associated with Liramor Holdings. Fayad was once again sent to Liramor-23, this time confirming his position as Senior Operations Officer.

"Congratulations, Fayad," David was the first to take his hand after the ceremony.

"I heard you were going to Liramor-18, sir," Fayad said.

"No, sir, Fayad," David insisted. "While I might be your superior, I list you as a friend. You are more than ready for the job you've just been assigned. I always appreciated having you in that seat, and I am sure Fiona will be happy to see you back there."

"I will indeed," Fiona remarked. "It will be nice to have someone of your competence at the helm again. Your temporary replacement is OK, but not up to your standards, Fayad."

"It's good to hear your confidence in me, Ms. Marsh. I look forward to returning to the platform, along with my two wives as I hear we have family accommodations now on the platform," Fayad returned.

"Yes, your Trine will actually be the first to receive family accommodation," Fiona remarked. "It should be an interesting time over the next few years."

Someone picked up a glass and shouted, "To the graduates!"

There was no apple juice this time, so the party started in earnest...

************

Fayad and his two brides were ready to leave with the Valour the next day. There was plenty of room, as Raymond had brought the Valiant from The Wanderer, and David Latton was being left behind, seeking transport to his new platform. So, the ship was just carrying Fiona Marsh, Cdr. Damyanti Balakrishnan, Fayad Piscium, Hanalei Anar, and Junelliea Herlan back to the platform.

************

Fayad and his two wives stepped down from the lift into Central Control. Fayad was immediately confronted with the cheers and comments of 'welcome back' and 'congratulations Fayad' from his fellow workers.

Fayad took the time to greet each person at their stations, introducing his wives to those on duty. It took him some time to make the rounds. He noted that Fiona had gone into the conference room as soon as they had arrived and the 'do not disturb' light was on at the conference room door, indicating that the morning brief was now ongoing. Noting the time, he knew the brief had been ongoing for around fifteen minutes.

He took his wives over to the windows to show them the view he had during his workday.

"From here, one can see most of the working cages," he told them, pointing out the cages in question.

"You can also see one of the inbound lanes, in this case, the Navy inbound lane," he said, pointing up and to the left. There was, of course, nothing to see, the two ladies looked at him curiously. Just then, Junelliea jumped and pointed. Her two family members turned to where she was pointing to see a spectacular rainbow of colour forming where Fayad had just pointed to, the rainbow swiftly dissipating.

"FTL wavefront forming in the Navy inbound lane," came almost immediately from the Ops O.

"IFF initiated," said the Navy Lt. stationed in Central Control. "IFF identifies the NS Ora Evanest," she commented a few moments later.

"Liramor-23 Control, this is the NS Ora Evanest, Lt. Ishanvi Mehrotra commanding. Inbound with Adm. Ramison and Adm. Heist, over." Came a voice over comms.

"Liramor Control, welcome back Ora Evanest. You are authorized parking in Shuttle Bay Two. Please note that Construction Bays One, Two, and Three have been re-designated VIP Shuttle Bays numbered respectively. There are passenger gantries in each shuttle bay so you need not wait for pressurization. Please note that Central Control is now back in its original location on Foxtrot Deck, over," the Ops O sent back.

"Ora Evanest, so noted, out."

"Estimated arrival time is twenty minutes," the Ops O advised.

"Roger that," SOps said. "Comms, please send a note to Cdr. Balakrishnan comp, advising her of the imminent arrival," he ordered.

"Message sent, sir," Comms came back momentarily.

A few minutes later, the conference room door opened and people started to leave, some coming through Central Control to speak with people before heading back to their respected duties.

The Trine noted a trio of three women with the feathery hair that denoted the people of Hollander's World. When the three saw them, they detoured towards the Trine. Though the three women looked remarkably similar, Junelliea somehow recognized Gillaya, though she could not say how. The tall, statuesque member of the Trine smiled broadly and opened her arms to the other woman.

Gillaya was surprised to see Fayad and his two brides at the main window (she had to stop thinking of it in those terms, as this was a mining platform in space!). But when Junelliea opened her arms and her heart, Gillaya reached out and stepped into her embrace. When asked later, she didn't know why she did, just that she did.

This was the first time that Gillaya had the opportunity to so warmly greet the Trine, especially Junelliea, so she was momentarily surprised when she felt a rush run through her as if she had just met a long lost friend from Hollander's World!

The two women looked at each other in open surprise, not sure what had just happened.

Anaya and Heyya were looking on at the spectacle, aware on the periphery that something of great importance had just occurred but not sure what, when Gillaya turned to them and gently pushed Junelliea at them.

"Junelliea, may I introduce you to two of my best friends, Dr. Heyya, and Dr. Anaya," Gillaya said as she motioned for her friends to greet the young lady. Intrigued, Heyya stepped up and took the younger women into her embrace, when R A I N B O W!!!

The same shock that Gillaya had experienced literally rammed through Heyya's empathic shields and enveloped her in a sense of warmth and wellbeing the likes of which she had rarely experienced before. Not even in the middle of a 'Crush' of teenage kids on Hollander's World greeting new members, had she felt such a strength of abilities, especially from a single person!

She gently pushed the young woman to arms length and looked at her in utter surprise.

"Heyya?" Anaya asked a moment later, curious as to what was happening.

Heyya didn't hesitate, she turned Junelliea and moved her into Anaya's embrace, only to see the very surprised look on Anaya's face as Junelliea hugged her.

"By the Gods!!" Anaya almost shouted. "I have never met such a strong empath before!"

"I know! Isn't it amazing?" Gillaya simpered as she and her friends surrounded a very surprised Junelliea in a very warm and very emotional group hug.

"OK, can someone let us in on what is happening?" Fayad asked, as he protectively pulled Junelliea in close to him and Hanalei.

"Fiona," Heyya said, pointing into Fiona's office advising her friend that they needed to discuss something, now! Without having said a word.

Fiona, Cdr. Balakrishnan, Heyya, Anaya, Gillaya, Fayad and his two wives, stepped into Fiona's office.

"Fiona, Junelliea is highly empathic," Heyya stated as soon as the door was closed.

"How do you mean, highly empathic?" Fiona asked.

"She is as strong, if not stronger, than many of the senior empaths from Hollander's World," Anaya stepped in with her assessment.

"How is that possible?" Fiona asked. "No offense, but she doesn't look like an empath from Hollander's World to me."

Heyya laughed. "No offense taken, Fiona. But empathy is not unique to Hollander's World. Though most usually fall within the 'norm' for our world, there have been documented cases of people with empathic abilities just as strong and often stronger than the more powerful of us from Hollander's World. Junelliea is one such.

"She needs to be trained to use her abilities, and her training needs to start immediately, for her own safety and the safety of others," Heyya finished.

"How do you mean our and her safety?" Fiona asked, suddenly worried.

"Junelliea, do you ever get the sense that your presence has made things better for others around you?" Heyya asked the young lady.

Hanalei let out a giggle. "She can quell an argument, or bend people to her will with a single word. Her presence always brightens up even the dimmest of parties. No one can be sad in her presence; she won't allow it. Whenever she leaves a group, they always are looking for ways to bring her back, being jealous of those she goes to."

"Hanalei is our First Wife," Fayad took over hugging both of his wives close to him, "but Junelliea binds us all together, I don't know what we would do without her, and I hope I never have to find out," he finished.

"All that, without training," Heyya said, looking significantly at Fiona. "She is still new to her powers, and already she is a presence wherever she goes. The three of us just left the conference room. We didn't know she was in the Control Center, but as soon as we saw her, with Fayad and Hanalei, we moved towards her. "We...trained empaths...moved to her. We did that without knowing why, just that we needed to talk to her.

1...34567...10