All That Glitters Ch. 37

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Non-delegate guests can still take rooms here at Denders for tourism," Junelliya interceded. "Denders will likely become the talk of the Interspecies Community when the current guests return to their home space and tell them of all the fun they have had while at the resort. Sylvie has indicated a significant spike in Interspecies internet requests for Denders already," she finished.

"The amusement park here will have to be upgraded soon," Hanalei stated, "as it has proven popular to the Interspecies guests, as has the ocean for the Byandi, and the swamps for the Asocan."

"Don't forget running on the beach for the Paacon and the Umick," Sylvie added.

"So, if we put this to you, the delegates then, would you be willing to pay a monthly fee to secure space in the new facility which will be owned by Hanalei Anar?" Fiona asked formally of the representatives present."

The delegates all thought the idea had merit and informed Hanalei that they would pay for the rent of rooms at the secure facility for what would be anticipated as frequent travel requirements to Terra.

Hanalei now had a use for the Johal Compound, a means of keeping the current staff on and a real role for said staff.

Silver Conference Room, Denders Resort, Terra

After the morning brief in the gold Conference Room, where delegates prepared for Wednesday's events, with the Byandi and the Feeyan making their presentations of credentials, senior representatives of the UDC, senior representatives of the delegations still available at Denders, representatives for the Johal Compound, and of Denders Resort, were in the Silver Conference Room to discuss the issue of the control over the Liramor-23 platform.

On one side of the table were Mark Preston, Director of Finances for the UDC, Peter Williams, Assistant Minster of Foreign Affairs, Cecilia Lourdes, Assistant Minister for Interplanetary Trade, Michelle Halten, Ambassador at the Union Embassy on Liramor-23, and Juanita Invierno, the UDC Co-ordinator at Denders.

On another side of the table was Annette Liramor, who had shipped in that morning on the Princess from Liramor Prime to protect the interests of Liramor Holdings, Cmdre. Fiona Marsh, Commander of the Piscium Defence Force representing Navy interests, Fayad Piscium, Assistant Director of Liramor-23 representing the platform itself, and Pascal Dejeu, representing Pallanders Shipyards' interests.

On the third side of the table were senior members of the Interspecies delegations there to ensure their interests were not infringed on, their ambassadors all being at the Presidential Compound for this day's presentations of credentials with the Byandi and the Feeyan.

On the fourth side of the table was newly appointed Manager in Charge of Interspecies Visitors, Sylvie Triand, representing the interests of Denders Resort, Junelliya Herlan, Hanalei Anar, Raymond Clark, Liea Samson, and Ji'en Nahdi, all representing the rebuild of the Johal Compound.

"The issue is that as the traffic in and around Liramor-23 increases, it becomes more and more dangerous for us to do mining operations from the platform," Annette informed the attendees to the emergency meeting. "With Pallanders planning to install a shipbuilding station in the system, it will get even more crowded, though that station can be out of the asteroid belt in relatively safe area of the system.

"We plan to dedicate Liramor-23 to the Interspecies Embassy. All renters will continue as they are now, renting offices and quarters for their needs but we will be able to allocate a lot more space to the embassies' requirements. The only thing that changes is that you will now be renting from Liramor Holdings vice the Liramor Mining Company.

"We intend to add things like pools, a dedicated day care, and other amenities that the platform currently lacks, which means that over the next year or so, the living conditions on the platform will become better for all," Annette informed them.

"We will continue to use Liramor-23 for mining until such time as we place a new platform in the system, which should be roughly one year from now. As well, the Piscium Defence Force will continue to operate out of the platform, with Cmdre. Fiona Marsh commanding, which means that the Interspecies Embassy will be secure," she finished.

"Would you be interested in selling the platform to the UDC or the TGA?" Mark Preston asked. Immediately, the delegates lodged a vehemently protested over this. It was one thing for the delegates to rent space from a human company, giving them quasi-independence from the TGA, it was another for them to be renting space directly from the UDC or TGA. Preston wisely dropped the issue.

"What about using the old Djinaëte station?" Peter Williams asked.

The Drone known as Rikki responded to the question, his clicks and whistles translated by the matrix.

"The station was unused and unmaintained for over two hundred Union standard years and is in a serious state of disrepair. That the engineers of the Liramor-23 got it back into some semblance of functionality is a testament to their skills. However, after being in such a neglected state for so long, it will soon have to be abandoned. The FTL drive is irreparable, so the station cannot be moved. The best that can be done is to harvest the material for use on other projects," he advised.

"As it is currently doing, Minister, the UDC will be renting space on the platform for the Union Embassy to the Interspecies Community but now it will be renting from Liramor Holdings," Annette reminded him.

"Why are these five here?" Minister Lourdes asked of Junelliya, Hanalei, Raymond, Liea, and Ji'en.

"We are partners with Hanalei Anar for the rebuild of the Johal compound, Madame Minister," Raymond answered.

"I have become the guardian of the Johal Compound," Hanalei informed the attendees. "The compound simply has no future as we are currently not living on Terra and have no plans to do so.

"The compound was left to the Church of Andanii by the late Ahmed Johal with the caveat that members of the Church of Andanii staying at Denders Resort have access to the little temple there. With no future use, I would only wind up breaking my guardianship of the compound.

"Instead, I have decided to renovate the compound and make it available to the delegates of the Interspecies Community that need someplace to stay with their unique physical requirements in mind, the only caveat being continuing access to the temple for members of the Church."

Hanalei called up the proposed plans for the renovation of the compound, flipping it to the large room monitor, showing rooms dedicated to each of the species, with the little temple outside of the walled compound. The new building was much larger than the current compound.

"The delegates have all agreed to a rental agreement with the caveat that the compound receive consular status from the UDC. We are currently waiting for this status before we can start renovations," Hanalei informed the ministers.

"In addition, the new compound will conduct consular services for Union businesses and individuals wanting access to Interspecies space, a consulate as opposed to an embassy. Those services will be conducted from offices outside of the secure compound," Hanalei indicated the offices on the plans.

"I have no awareness of this issue at the moment," A/Mnst. Williams stated.

"It should have been part of your portfolio when you were sent here this morning sir," Juanita told him, calling up the relevant details on her comp and passing it to the three senior personnel. "The President himself is interested in this particular option for the Interspecies Community, Minister Williams."

"I see, yes this should have been included in our brief," Williams agreed. "So you plan to build this on your own, Ms. Anar?" he asked.

"I need to provide a future for the compound, sir. This is the best one that I can give it," Hanalei informed him.

"And you will not require funding from the TGA?" A/Mnst. Lourdes asked.

"My friends, Raymond and Liea, are billionaires, ma'am," Hanalei told them. "I could fund the renovations myself, however, at the expected seventy five million it would take me a year before I could finish the project. I may be a multi-millionaire but my ready cash reserves will not extend to that much free cash, Madame Minister. With my friend's assistance, the remodelling can be completed within six months."

"You would need people to run the compound if you are not staying on, Ms. Anar," Lourdes stated.

"I already have them, Minister Lourdes. They are members of the current staff of the compound, who agreed to stay on once they found out what I wanted to do with the place. They are fascinated by the fact that they will be seeing to the needs of the Interspecies Community," Hanalei informed the ministers.

"So you plan to make this a vacation center for the delegates?" Lourdes asked.

"No, not at all. Denders has spent a lot of money to prepare its housing units for the Interspecies Community. They will act as the future vacation center in much the same way as they are acting now. There will always be a place for the Interspecies Community here at Denders, provided the TGA agrees to allow the Greater Community continued access to the resort," Hanalei replied, nodding to Sylvie, who smiled back at her.

"You seem to have this well thought out," A/Mnst. Lourdes stated, suspiciously.

Annette barked a laugh. "Trust me, Madame Minister, we are flying by the seat of our pants on these issues, both Liramor Holdings and the Johal Compound members. Liramor Holdings wanted in on the ground floor of the Johal Compound rebuild but we were told by our lawyers that we would be in a conflict of interest by doing so, to many eggs in the frying pan in effect."

Lourdes smiled at the reference, knowing that Annette was correct.

"We need the Minster of Foreign Affairs to sign off on the Johal Compounds status before the end of the week," Hanalei said. "The status of the resort for the vacation needs of the Interspecies Community is not as pressing an issue, however, when the delegates return to their home worlds and report on the activities available here, the resort will garner a lot of interest, in fact, it already has. Best if we include some kind of agreement for the resort as well, though that will run into issues of other resorts crying foul that they are not included.

"Personally, after the recent incident at the day care, I would prefer one location for the Interspecies Community to come to Terra and visit," Hanalei stated. "As the resort is right next door to the Johal Compound, it would be the obvious location."

"Who should we speak to here at Denders?" Lourdes asked.

"Sylvie Triand is the new Manager in Charge of Interspecies Visitors, Madame Minister. She has been doing an excellent job so far, setting up for and making sure the delegates are all happy during their time here at the resort," Hanalei stated, getting nods of approval from the Interspecies delegates at the table.

"Thoughts and comments from the Interspecies members?" Minister Williams asked. There were a few but, overall, the delegates were pleased by what had occurred so far and in agreement with most of what they had seen or had had been stated.

"We will advise the Minister that we need to agree to all of this," Williams stated. "I cannot guarantee that he will respond before the end of the week, though, with the President's interest, he might."

"By the Gods, Hanalei, to think, that it is only Wednesday! What's going to happen for the rest of the week?" Junelliya laughed, getting laughter all around.

Presidential Compound, Capital City, Terra

The President laughed as he watched the clip from Juanita's comp. "With that group, that is the question, isn't it. They do move fast when they need to."

"Too, fast if you ask me, Mr. President," Minister Ronter stated.

"Nonsense, Charles. You are just too content with the speed of the Senate," the President replied. "These people, who have been at the center of this storm for so long, are moving at the speed that is directed by fate. The rest of us have to stay out of the way or rush to catch up."

"They are a force of nature, Mr. President," Juanita agreed smiling.

"You like them that much, you can join them on Liramor-23, Ms. Invierno," Ronter snapped.

"OH! Thank-you, Sir!" Juanita responded instantly, excitement in her face. That just caused the President to laugh even harder.

"They are correct though, Charles," the President stated. "We do need to get this situation resolved before they go back to Liramor-23. I am good with them having the compound out near Denders as a consulate for the Interspecies Community and giving Denders cart blanche to act as a vacation resort here on Terra for the Greater Sentient Community. I'm sure that Denders will become part of a vacation package between the Interspecies planets. I would like to see some of those worlds myself, even after I have served my two terms in office."

"Sure of your self, eh, Mr. President?" Ronter said with a smile. He did like the President and thought the man a much more capable representative in the office than the previous person was.

"Are you taking the opportunity to conduct Trade and Foreign Affairs business at the resort, Charles?" the President asked.

"Of course, Mr. President," Ronter admitted. "We have conducted a lot of business with our counterparts who joined us here for these historic events. It is an unprecedented opportunity for us, in fact, for all members of the Interspecies Communities that brought their senior government representatives. I have even had our Assistant Ministers take rooms at Denders so they can be there all hours of the day for negotiations, Sir."

"We had the Byandi this morning Charles, who do we have this afternoon?" the President asked.

"The Feeyan, Sir. That will be at 14:00 hours. You will be meeting their Ambassador at Large, Ambassador Tricana and my counterpart in their government," the Minister informed the President. "Better them than the half-naked Byandi, Sir. I shudder to think how the media is playing out those pictures of you from this morning, surrounded by so much bare skin, Sir."

"I do admit, despite the tint of their skin, it was a delightful experience for me," the President stated with a smile, getting a 'Harumph' from Charles and a giggle from Juanita.

PV The Trine, Denders Resort, Terra

The Piscium family was sitting on loungers in the airconditioned tents, Hanalei and Junelliya breastfeeding the children with family and friends around them when Hanalei got a call from Sylvie.

"Hanalei, there is a ship in orbit requesting permission to set down at the resort's shuttle port. They are specifically asking for you," Sylvie reported.

"For me?" Hanalei inquired. "I am not aware of any ships that would ask specifically for me, Sylvie. Do you know the name of the ship?"

"Yes, P.V. The Trine," Sylvie replied, suddenly shocked at the excitement that came through her comp.

"The Trine? My ship is here? Oh, my, yes, give them permission to land please Sylvie!" Hanalei almost shouted.

A laughing Sylvie told her that they would be on the ground in twenty minutes and that she would provide transport for them to the shuttle port.

"You have a ship, Hanalei?" Lamees Sarraf, her mother asked, surprise showing on her face.

"Yes, mother, we can all go to see the new ship," Hanalei replied.

************

It turned out they needed eight six person electric carts to get everyone interested in seeing the ship out to the shuttle port, arriving just as The Trine set down.

Even from outside, it was unlike any ship they had ever seen. There seemed to be a grid of gold all around the ship and it had no vanes attached to its sides. The ship looked sleek, appearing fast even standing still.

A technician touched a static boom to the ship and got a large discharge off it, grounding the vehicle. A moment later, the hatch at the side opened, and a man that Annette recognized as Martin Pallanders, the middle son of François Pallanders, peaked his head out and smiled.

He came down the ramp to address the people there.

"Hello, Ms. Liramor, why am I not surprised to see you here?" Martin quipped.

"Hello, Martin. They are my people after all," she returned. "May I introduce you to your client, Hanalei Anar."

"I am very pleased to finally meet you in person, Mrs. Anar, and to show off this incredible ship of yours. We have just returned from three days of intensive testing of your vessel. The final jump was a long jump from Hadrian's Planet and we ended up twenty-three light years on the wrong side of Terra after the jump," Marin explained.

"The ship has a 165 light year jump capacity, Mr. Pallanders," Henadi Noor asked, surprise showing on her face..

"It does, Capt. Noor and, like all ships with the new M/A generators, she can recharge quickly. If we string the jumps, we could jump 330 light years in quick succession, wait for an hour and do another 330 light year jump," he informed the surprised audience.

"Because this ship is the test bed for the new drives, she has a full power, military grade FTL engine. All civilian models will have the standard drives, giving them approximately 60% of the capability that your ship, or Valour Class ships, will have.

"Because of her capabilities, it has been decided to make her the lead ship of a new class, The Trine Class, ma'am," he said with a smile to Hanalei.

"Martin, my dear young man, when can I get an upgrade to The Valour?" Fiona asked, with an exaggerated simper in her voice that caused everyone to laugh.

"We have eight more days of testing to do on this ship. Once that is completed, and we have looked to see what changes to the drives and systems that are necessary, we can then start mass producing the new FTL designs. The biggest issue isn't the drive itself; it is the jump power distribution grid on the surface of the ship, which will eventually replace the jump vane technology that we currently use.

"What you saw as a grid of gold around the ship is actually made of exotic metals that can respond to high energy surges through the grid, without melting and without transferring the energy back into the ship. That, of course, is a proprietary technology of Aruna Labs and Pallanders.

"Incidentally, Mrs. Anar, Aruna Labs has used your ship as a test bed for other systems as well. You have newly redesigned sub-light engines, a new special awareness system in place of the current system of sensors that ships use today, an upgraded FTL Drive, the Jump Grid that replaces the vanes, and a far more efficient static electricity discharge probe for self discharge when landing on rough planets. As well, the ship has a new jump comp that is even more accurate than those currently in use of the Princess Class and Valour Class ships. It is so accurate, that we were within ten meters of the predicted entry point after the 165 light year jump from Hadrian's Planet.

"All-in-all, your ship is going to be one very capable ship, ma'am," Martin finished. "Would you like to look inside?"

"Yes, please. I would very much like to see how my ship looks," Hanalei said with a smile.

They went into the ship in groups, the Pisciums and their extended family in one group, their friends broken up into three other groups.

The livery colour scheme of soft gold, the brown of the Anuuran sands, and the dark-blue almost purple colour of the families eyes, was continued into the interior of the ship, painted in just the right way to stimulate the eyes and not jar one's sense of aesthetics. Everywhere, there was opulence, in fact, it seemed to Hanalei that it rivalled the opulence on The Valiant, or the Delilah. Only this ship was hers, or rather, the Trine's, and should have been slightly less opulent.

1...89101112...14