All That Glitters Ch. 37

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You seem to be taking this rather calmly," Fiona indicated.

"I think it is inevitable, however, you will have to add a pool, probably a few of them, on Liramor-23, for the benefit of the children of course," Junelliya smiled.

"Our Godparents were impressed," Hanalei said, with an offhand smile, referring to the Kumar-Pair's impression that Urano had taken on an armed foe and had received injuries protecting the children of the day care, including the Jurte's Brood.

"I think that they would endorse having Urano at Liramor-23," Junelliya returned.

"Urano wants to complete her doctorates," Hanalei stated.

"So? Do we not have a campus of the Malton University at the platform?" Junelliya asked, causing Fiona to pause.

"I think that Fiona is more worried about the impact of all of this on the mining operation," Fayad said. "I do believe that it is time to force a decision on the Liramor Mining Company, Fiona."

"Yes, I think you are right," Fiona admitted. "We are going to need to bring in another platform to take over mining in the Piscium System."

"Two, actually, as Pallanders will want to have a shipyard out there to teach the respective species how to build our ships," Fayad interjected. "Easier for Pallanders to have them built under licence than to try to build them all for the Greater Community. We are talking about many thousands of ships per species after all."

"It's a pity that we couldn't convince Annette or her father to be here," Junelliya said.

"Why don't we just call them?" Hanalei asked. "Liramor Prime was the first planet to receive the ICS, due mainly to the system being built at Aruna Labs. Fiona called up Annette and requested a vid-link. A few minutes later she had it.

"Hi, Fiona, how is the vacation going," Annette asked with a smile, doing air quotes around the word vacation.

"Yeah, we have some significant issues coming forward now, Annette," Fiona admitted.

"The delegates are asking to bring their families to Liramor-23. That really is not much of an issue, however, it means that we must install a couple of pools on the platform and it will mean a marked increase in ship traffic," Fiona told her.

"Yeah, I was hoping that would not happen this fast," Annette replied. "What do you suggest, Fiona?"

"We will need to build another platform to take over the responsibilities of mining in the Piscium System. As well, I think that Pallanders will want to open a shipyard in the Piscium system to help teach the Interspecies community how to build our ships. The shipyard can be placed outside the asteroid belt as it is in the Punarjanm System," Fiona stated.

"The big issue is getting that new mining platform built sooner rather than later," Annette said, instantly following Fiona's thought processes. "Well, this will be a test of Dr. Aruna's new system then. We can build the platform in orbit here much faster than we can build it in the Piscium system. We can have a new platform ready to go in eight months, minus the ore ovens, which we will remove from Liramor-23 to place on the new platform.

"The question is, what do we do with Liramor-23?" Annette inquired of no one in particular. "We might have to let the TGA take it over."

"You do not want to do that, Ms. Liramor," Fayad said. "If we give up authority over Liramor-23, then we will also give up authority in the system. We can let the TGA buy into the platform, as the dedicated Interspecies Embassy, but we cannot let them buy us out.

"If they do, then they have control over any new products developed from new scientific co-operations with the Interspecies Community. As well, if the TGA believes that it has full control over Liramor-23, they will attempt to impose their authority over the system. It is inevitable. Ergo, we must maintain control over the platform even if we do not use it for mining," Fayad ended.

"He's right, Annette," Fiona put in her thoughts. "The TGA will attempt to impose it's authority over the entire system. They are already trying to do that now. We have to figure out how to keep control of the platform when we are not using it for mining.

"I suggest we do what we would normally do for any embassy renting space in a commercial building. We own the building; the embassy is only part of it. We have to enforce that thinking on the UDC and the TGA now, before safety concerns force us to stop mining on the platform," Fiona finished.

"We need the President's support on this," Junelliya mused. "Without it, we will be constantly fighting the UDC and the TGA for control of the platform and the system."

"How do we do that?" Annette asked.

"Simple, we tell the President that we own the building and are willing to do whatever is necessary for the renters, however, we will not relinquish control of the building nor sell it to the renters," Hanalei stated.

"Shit, that might actually work," Annette said, smiling at the thought.

"It can't be that simple," Fiona reflected.

"No, it will not be," Hanalei admitted, "but we can enlist the delegates themselves to help us keep the UDC and TGA at bay."

"How do we do that, Hanalei?" Fiona asked.

"Well, would you want to have your embassy inside of UDC HQ?" Hanalei returned.

That got smiles from everyone as they saw the logic.

"We can also tie that in with the Johal Compound," Hanalei mused. "We can let the UDC know that we own the building and that we are renting it to the delegates. That establishes the facts of the situation for us. However, in this case, the Johal Compound does not become an embassy per say, it just functions as a place of business for the delegates that require anonymity from the TGA and the UDC while the respective delegates are on Terra. This forces the UDC to give it legal embassy status for the benefit of the delegates. Juanita is already working that out for us with the Minister. We can't begin building until we are confirmed as independent for the delegates and I want to start the building process as soon as possible, as do the delegates."

"OK, I can see what we need to do to make this happen," Annette said. "We need to have the delegates working for us to keep Liramor-23 independent and in our hands. We need to start building a new mining platform here in orbit and move it to the location we need. This will establish a new routine for all future platforms and stations.

"We also need to speak to Pallanders about moving one of their shipyards to the Piscium System or having them build a new station for that purpose for the Piscium System. And we need to do all of this with some haste," Annette ended.

"And we cannot let our control over the platform or the system slip," Fiona added her piece.

"Agreed. Thanks for the call, Fiona, it is going to cause some headaches for us starting first thing tomorrow. I will provide a budget for installing some pools for the platform and work out a more secure rental agreements for space on the platform," Annette ended the session and signed off.

Morgan High School, Capital City, Terra

Professor Amy Halen looked at the two people sitting in front of her. Both were from prestigious families, one the President's daughter, the other the youngest son of the most prestigious family on Planet Adenomere.

"I've reviewed the clips that were captured on this incident, and frankly, I am quite disappointed in both of you," Halen began.

"Miss. Holloway, you will always be in situations where you will be provoked by others. However, you are the child of a person of such distinction, that you can never allow yourself to give in to your baser reactions. Especially with people who are likely to become angered by your comments.

"Mr. Adenomere, this is not the first time that you have gotten yourself into a predicament based on your attitude and your contempt for others, contempt that is ill-placed in this establishment.

"You are an elite person amongst a group of elite people. Your arrogance does not fit here and will not be accept, especially when you are showing contempt for those who are in fact much better than you in both their social stature and in their intelligence.

"This may be the way you act on your home planet, Mr. Adenomere, but it will not be the way you will act in this school. You have already been cited for three other examples of arrogance and fighting this year alone. In this incident, your rage could have inflicted serious damage to another person. Fortunately, you attacked someone with the training to look after herself.

"Miss. Holloway. This is your first incident of fighting in this school. Expect it to be your last. However, I also suspect that will not be the case. While I admire people who stick up for others, I do not admire them when they goad their antagonists into fighting. Find a better way before you get yourself into some real trouble, young lady.

"You both will receive a list of punishment routines designed to encourage you to change your ways. That list will be delivered tomorrow to you both and shall be conducted each day before you return to your homes or to your living quarters.

"Is that clear?" she snapped the last three words crisply and with authority.

"Yes, ma'am," both of the teens promptly answered.

The Professor handed Grace an envelope. "Make sure your father reads this tonight, signs it, and return it to me before tomorrow morning's home room session. Do you understand, Miss. Holloway?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Good, you are dismissed."

The Professor turned her attention to Michael Adenomere.

"I do not know how things are done on Alliance Planets, Mr. Adenomere, however, you are now in Union space and subject to Union law. Here, all people are considered equal and find their place in society based on merit.

"I will allow that the children of the famous families do have a leg up on their contemporaries in comparison to the average citizen, but all people are considered equal under the law and are normally protected from the kind of attitude and stupidity that you ten to frequently show.

"You are officially placed on probation for the next three months, Mr. Adenomere. If you get yourself into any more trouble during your probationary period, this establishment will end its contract with you and the Adenomere family and you will be returned to your home world.

"Do you understand, Mr. Adenomere?" Halen asked.

"Yes, ma'am."

"Excellent. See me tomorrow before you attend your home room to receive your punishment routine. And, Mr. Adenomere, this incident was all on you. Miss. Holloway only reacted to you and only defended herself from an attack. It is very fortunate that it was Miss. Holloway you attacked, as the blow you had thrown at her would have seriously injured someone else. At least Miss. Holloway was trained to react and protect herself from your physical attack.

"You need to get control over your anger, Mr. Adenomere, before it comes back to haunt you. Keep that in mind, young man. You are dismissed," Halen ended, watching the teen leave. The entire session had been recorded of course. The elite tended to be litigious. It was always better when you had hard evidence of what exactly was said in any disciplinary session...

The Presidential Compound, Capital City, Terra

When Grace returned, she unceremoniously gave her father the envelope, before giving him a gentle kiss on his cheek, and sitting opposite at the table.

The President recognized the envelope as coming from Morgan High School. Grace had brought home a number of them, usually with good news in them. However, from Grace's actions, it was obvious to the President that this envelope was the exception.

He opened it to find a letter and a chip. He silently read the letter.

Dear Mr. Holloway:

Uh, oh, thought the President. It's always bad when they address you as the Parent vice your station in life...

This letter is in reference to an action that occurred earlier today when your daughter, Grace Elizabeth Holloway, was involved in a fracas on school grounds with one Mr. Michael Adenomere.

The incident was over swiftly, with Mr. Adenomere on his face on the floor after having attempted to strike your daughter. However, the incident should never have happened, as Miss Holloway was engaged in a display of insult tantrum which goaded Mr. Adenomere into the assault. While you daughter was justified in her defensive actions, she should not have needed to use them. Miss Holloway should have simply ignored Mr. Adenomere.

The chip included in the envelope includes imagery taken from students present who recorded the exchange. Pleases discuss this with your daughter.

Your daughter will have to endure disciplinary actions after school for the next several days.

Professor Amy Halen

Home Room 351

The President gave the chip to his people, who checked it and confirmed there was nothing malicious on the chip. The President then inserted it into his comp and touched his discreet earpiece to ensure that he alone would hear what was on the comp.

There were three clips on the chip. He opened them in private mode, so that only he could see it and started the first.

It showed Grace interacting with her contemporaries, exchanging imagery of her time at Denders the night before, showing pics and clips of her interacting with the luminaries and with the average people of the Interspecies Community, including some young members who were probably teens of the same mental age as Grace. The President hid a smile at that, he was proud that his daughter had include those who were not of the power elite of the Greater Community in last evening's activities.

That's when Michael Adenomere entered the picture. His comments were meant to be hurtful, however, Grace's comments were more telling and quickly brought anger to the youth. He launched a fist at his daughter's head. The President could tell immediately that the fist was thrown in anger and was meant to hit his daughter hard. It never got to her, as she swiftly blocked, threw an arm bar on him, and propelled him to the floor. The impact was devastating.

That's when Grace's home room teacher intervened, telling both combatants that they would speak to her after class.

"You teacher is correct, Grace. You could have avoided this incident if you had simply walked away from him," the President spoke softly to his daughter.

"You heard what he said, father," Grace replied. "Adenomere is not a nice person. He would not have let me walk away. I will accept that I will be punished for my actions but I will repeat this action the next time that idiot speaks to me as he did."

"Not the wisest of situations, Grace," her father returned.

"No, father, it is not," Grace conceded. "It is, however, the only option that Michael Adenomere will allow me."

"We will speak of this further, tomorrow, after we learn of your punishment routine," the President dismissed his daughter.

Grace could read people rather well. However, like all young people, she tended to see things in black and white, and reacted in the same manner. This was something that he, as a parent, would have to deal with, or she would wind up in situations beyond her ability to control. After all, she was only fifteen.

Grace would likely be allowed to take the grade twelve final exams after her grade eleven finals this year. Meaning that next year, she could find herself at university. Sixteen at university was a little too young, considering her current involvement with Michael Adenomere. He thought she needed something to do as a gap year, before she attended university. He wondered if he could convince Charles Ronter to take her on as part of the staff at the Interspecies Embassy at Liramor-23 for a year?

He turned to his daughter's bodyguard. "You might want to see this," he said, sending the clips of the afternoon's action to the woman. He watched the smile light up her face as she reviewed the clips.

"Who do we have tomorrow, Jason?" the President asked.

"In the Morning we have the Byandi, Mr. President, with their Ambassador at Large Porra, and Chargé d'affaires, Mottu," Jason replied "And we have the Feeyan Ambassador at Large, Ambassador Tricana in the afternoon.

Denders Resort, Terra, The Sol System

Dr. Heyya had been away on a boating excursion during the day so only heard about the commotion when she returned at around the same time as the delegates started returning to Denders from the capital. She quickly moved to the clinic to check up on the woman and found Ayesha there.

"Ayesha," Heyya gave the diminutive woman a hug. "Aren't you supposed to be with your husband right now?"

Ayesha giggled. "Yes, he is nearby, waiting for me to come back out. The local doctor is passing information to me about my 'patient'. He was impressed with the work I did until I told him that I had been an acting ship's doctor aboard a Navy vessel."

"How is your patient?" Heyya asked.

"Better, the nanites are doing their job, and she is resting, having been given something to make her sleep. Her name is Takebayashi Urano. She is smaller than me and she stood up to this woman to protect her charges. She deserves a medal for what she did," Ayesha said.

"She will likely be nominated for the Medal of Bravery at least," Heyya said. The pair went further into the clinic and checked out Urano, coming away satisfied by what they saw.

"How much longer at school?" Heyya asked.

"Another two months at least, maybe three. But I can see the end of the tunnel now," Ayesha told her with a smile.

"Good. We have been nurses together and I look forward to working with you as a full doctor," Heyya told her. "Now, lets get back to your husband, and that lovely looking lounge chair on the beach."

Ayesha smiled and taking her hand, led the way out to find Sean, who was sitting on a rather large lounge chair, so the two ladies sidled up to him on either side. They remained together like that until the evening meal. By mutual consent, the three stayed the night together in Sean and Ayesha's room...

Gold Conference Room, Denders Resort, Terra

"That is a rather interesting idea, Hanalei," Juanita responded to the inquiry on the Johal Compound in the Wednesday morning's brief. "That would give the ambassadors and VIP guests a place to stay when they need to be here that is away from the capital and prying eyes, and that is secure. They would also have access to Denders on a daily basis."

"I would suggest that you purchase monthly passes to Denders for each of the delegations, Hanalei, as opposed to by name of the delegate," Sylvie advised. "That way, they can have access to all the facilities at Denders, save for accommodations. Denders can manage the overflow from the compound as required, now that we have arranged for the necessary plumbing changes."

"The staff will have to train at Denders to ensure that we have a good standard between the two sites," Hanalei stated. "While the compound will not be part of Denders, we would like to have a good rapport between our facilities, training our personnel at the VIP level. The training will aid those currently taking up Hospitality as a trade and ensure that they have a good understanding of their future roles.

"As well, the staff will be required to have training in security from the IPPF and from the UDC. We will also have to sweep the compound and Consular offices daily for surveillance devices, so they will have to receive that training as well," Hanalei told those in the room.

"While I am sure that Denders would like to be the site of future delegations, you are too open for the more security conscious of the UDC and IPPF. Having a secure compound dedicated to the needs of the Interspecies Ambassadorial Community here, not far from the resort, would be ideal," Fayad explained.

1...7891011...14