All That Glitters Ch. 40

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Aurelia was surprised by this statement. Usually, the Patriarch would wait for a year after a marriage before formally acknowledging a new woman in the household.

Marius leaned forward.

"Father, is it wise to do such at this time?" he asked of Jaar.

"It is my right to name my successors, as I have named you," Jaar reminded him. "It is also my right to name the Lady of the House. Aurelia has proven her worth to this house. I would reward that, in much the same way as I have rewarded you as heir."

Marius gave Aurelia a look that showed he was less than pleased but he did not dispute his father.

Korman leaned back and touched his comp to Aurelia's. She suddenly found herself with much more, legal, access to the Adenomere accounts than she previously had.

As Marius was peeving, Korman could not set up him up with the codes for the Heir. He eventually gave up trying, satisfied to wait until later in the day.

"Does anyone contest this action?" the Chair asked, knowing that only the members of House Adenomere could. There were no dissenters, Jaar had formally made his son the heir and given Aurelia status as a member of the House of Adenomere.

A few more people stood and followed Jaar's example, naming their heirs.

The Chair called for new Landstradt business.

"First order of new Landstradt business," the Chair boomed out. "The status of the Great Houses. There are seven Great Houses that are currently suffering significant damage after the Union raid on the Alliance. We need to determine what will befall these specific Great Houses.

"We have three options: first, to impose voting restrictions and a set time limit on these houses for their return to full member status, free of debt; second, to provide a loan from the Landstradt to assist these seven houses in order that they retain their position and voting rights.

"This option is not feasible at this time as the Landstradt, too, is suffering fiscal restraints due to the pressures placed on the Great and Lesser Houses from this recent Union raid.

"And last, to remove one or more of the seven houses as members of the Great Houses, taking away from them their right to vote as a Landstradt Great House.

Aurelia leaned forward.

"Father-in-law, the Landstradt is significantly divided on change at this time. Most of the members believe that they need to retain the Landstradt's current status during this time of crisis," Aurelia whispered to Jaar.

"That may be, however, this is something that we have been waiting to do for over thirty years now," Jaar returned testily. "There are those who want these Houses turned over, giving new blood to the Landstradt."

"I am only passing on what I am hearing from the other members of the Landstradt," Aurelia told him. "The situation is volatile though, pushing for change now could come back to haunt us."

Jaar knew that Aurelia was right but he could not back down now that he had put so much effort into what was about to occur.

"Are there any who will speak for these houses?" the Chair asked.

Some of the Great Houses stood up and supported four of the seven houses, leaving House Gordon of New Hadria, House Pendar of Erden's World, and House Palay of Planet Surdend unsupported.

All were aware of the enmity that House Adenomere and House Climb had for these three houses. They were deliberately left out on a limb by the other houses.

"Are there any who will speak against these houses?" the Chair asked. Jaar Adenomere stood.

"Chair, I, Jaar Adenomere, speak against these three Great Houses. They owe much to House Adenomere, to other houses, and to the Landstradt, debts that they will likely not meet within the next year. They should be removed as Greater Houses and three new members of the Great Houses, chosen from the Lesser Houses, should be placed in the Landstradt," Jaar stated.

"A motion has been put forward by Master Adenomere to remove these three houses from Great House status and have them replaced by suitable Lesser Houses. Is there a second on this?" the Chair asked.

As expected, Master Climb stood and seconded the motion. The stage had now been set.

Several Patriarchs of the Lesser Houses stood.

"The Chair recognizes Master Ligne," the Chair indicated.

"House Ligne is opposed to destabilizing the Landstradt at this time. We would know why House Adenomere cannot grant an exception to debts owed by these three Great Houses when they apparently have granted exceptions to the other four Great Houses," Ronald Linge demanded.

Jaar rose to answer. "These three Great Houses owe significantly more than the four other houses. If we, House Adenomere, granted them dispensation, it would be a significant detriment to our own financial situation. We cannot allow that," Jaar informed the Chair.

"How much is owed by these three houses?" Ronald Linge demanded.

"Chair, House Gordon owes more than seventy-five billion AP above what it can pay, House Pendar owes Fifty-two billion AP, and House Palay owes thirty-five billion to House Adenomere and House Climb alone. We do not know how much above that is owed to other houses.

"The other four houses owe less than ten billion AP and can be expected to make that up in the near term," Jaar responded.

Ronald stood again. "In that case, we ask for an independent review of the fiscal situation between all seven Houses, House Adenomere, and House Climb. Both House Adenomere and House Climb are known to 'fudge' fiscal documents. We would know for sure if these numbers are correct."

"Chair, the Governors of the Bank of Adenomere have already made a review of debts owed by these houses," Jaar responded. "These are the numbers that they have provided."

"Chair, House Adenomere controls the Governors of the Bank of Adenomere. We ask for an independent review in order to have the true numbers available to us," Ronald Ligne returned.

The Landstradt broke out into howls and jeers after that comment. The Chair was forced to gavel down the incident and demand order.

"We will have a divide!" the Chair roared. "We will vote by electronic means."

Jaar stood, he didn't want this to be a secret vote. "I would know who is voting for these Houses," Jaar intoned. "I ask for an open vote."

Of course, Master Climb seconded the motion. Surprisingly, it passed unanimously.

Aurelia leaned forward again. "This does not look good. I suspect that you have overstepped yourself in this issue."

Jaar was visited by a premonition. Aurelia so far proved correct on all political and economic issues, and this was an issue of both.

The voting began, with each Patriarch/Matriarch standing and voting yea or nay on the issue of an independent review of the bank. The vote from the Great Houses was principally against the review, however, all but seven of the Lesser Houses voted in favour of the proposal, with seven other Lesser Houses abstaining, catching Jaar, and the Greater Houses, by complete surprise.

"The vote is 106 to thirty-seven with seven Great Houses unable to vote and seven Lesser Houses abstaining. As the vote is greater than the two-to-one margin necessary for the Lesser Houses to overturn the vote of the Greater Houses, the motion passes. There will be an independent audit of the seven Great Houses at the heart of this issue and of House Adenomere and House Climb," the Chair spoke. Pandemonium broke out in the Landstradt at the announcement. The Chair gavelled down the outburst and demanded order.

"The Landstradt will take a fifteen minute break," the Chair growled, banging in gavel as he rose and stepped away from his desk in front of the Landstradt. He went immediately to Jaar and Martin Climb.

"What were you thinking?" the Chair hissed of the two.

"I wanted to know who was against House Adenomere," Jaar informed him.

"Well now you know; it was the entire fucking Landstradt! Electronically, we could have controlled the vote, by giving them an open house, you may have cut all of our throats!" the Chair turned and marched away, leaving a panicking Jaar and Martin to strategize over what was to come.

Aurelia was moving amongst her acquaintances and friends. She was canvassing the feeling of the Landstradt. It didn't take her long to determine the pulse of the issue. She swiftly returned to Jaar's side.

"Father-in-law, the Landstradt is not happy with how House Adenomere has been using the Landstradt over the last few years. You, House Climb, House Burling, and a few others of the Greater Houses, have become the boogie-men under the bed to the Lesser Houses.

"This situation has given the members of the Lesser Houses a chance to speak out against the Great Houses and specifically against our house and that of House Climb. The Great Houses are nervous, anticipating a revolt by the Lesser Houses on how politics is conducted in the Landstradt.

"Do not expect anything to go your way, or in favour of the Greater Houses during the remainder of this Landstradt," Aurelia advised him.

"What do you think will happen?" Jaar asked her.

"If I was running this, I would seek to take the Chair from House Burling, which openly supports House Adenomere. It would give the Lesser Houses a big advantage if they could rest control of the Landstradt from the Greater Houses," Aurelia said after a moment of pretend reflexion.

Aurelia knew this would happen, as she had suggested just that to one of her friends, a daughter of House Latten from New Hadria. She expected that the rest of this morning would be an interesting session.

While Aurelia was now nominally a member of House Adenomere, having been so named by Jaar himself, she was not going to allow Jaar to break House Gordon, nor the Landstradt.

The Dewfall, In Orbit, Planet Varus, Clément System

"Well that was interesting," Liea Samson muttered to those with her as they watched the feed of the Landstradt from their comms picket at Planet Adenomere. "That would imply that the Lesser Houses are going to take over the Landstradt."

"I agree," Fayad said. "There is no doubt that the Lesser Houses are not happy with the status quo. It gives too much power to the thirty-eight Greater Houses. This is a means for them to break the current power cycle and make changes."

"How does that help us in our issues?" Cmdre. Dostier asked.

"Unknown at this time," Fayad admitted. "We do not have the pulse of the Lesser Houses and what they want to do with the Landstradt. As well as changing the current political dynamics, are they willing to look at domestic issues, such as the treatment of slaves?"

"We need to have someone from the UDC go to the Landstradt," Dostier said.

"Normally, Ambassador Flynet would be there, sitting in the audience," Fayad stated, looking at the man in question. "However, he is currently not a popular person with the Alliance."

"Regardless, you need to be there to speak with the members of the Landstradt and to read the pulse of this situation," Dostier informed Ambassador Flynet, looking pointedly at him. "We cannot be left in the dark waiting to see what they decide. We need to push the issue and let them know what we will be doing to get our people out."

"My ship is currently on a run to Terra," Harold Flynet advised.

"We could bring you on our ship," Fayad told him, "as long as you name our ship as a Diplomatic Courier."

"I have the authority to do that," Flynet acknowledged. "Who would we bring?"

"I will go," Junelliya stated flatly. "My powers will come in handy to support our Ambassador if things get out of hand in the Landstradt."

"Anyone else we should bring?" Flynet asked.

"If my wife is going to be there, then I will be there as well," Fayad spoke.

"Kim?" Liea asked.

She thought for a moment and then gave a short nod. If things went wrong, they would need her support. She could, and would, openly display her weapons on Adenomere, as it was a habit of citizens to use long-knives in disputes.

"I do not know if it is wise to bring one who is so armed," Flynet noted. "While it is the norm for the people of the Alliance, they might object if one of our own carried swords into the Landstradt."

"We could just allow them to take her swords from her," Junelliya commented, sweetly, getting a laugh from those around the table. They could imagine the look of shock on people's faces as they lost an arm or a hand, if they were lucky...

"Very well, I will give you Ayesha in case there is a need, and I will also let you take Riley with you. I have a feeling that you will need her expertise," Liea stated.

They watched as the Landstradt came back from its break.

"This could be interesting," Junelliya commented.

Landstradt HQ, Adenomere City, Planet Adenomere, The Adenomere System

Jaar noted the hardened look on the faces of the members of the Lesser Houses. It appeared that Aurelia was correct. He sent a signal to the Chair, Advising Francis Burling that he might have to postpone a vote. The Chair gave him an almost imperceptible nod, acknowledging the message.

Before they could start, there was a commotion at the entrance.

"Who is disturbing the Landstradt in session?" the Chair demanded.

"Chair, I am Jorge Devine, I am the representative of the Attorney General of Planet Adenomere, sir," the man stated. "I have warrants for the arrests of several members of the Landstradt for conspiracy to commit murder and for actions in contravention to functioning of the Landstradt."

The Chair took notice of this statement. There would be nothing he could do to postpone this action without opposing the Attorney General of the planet, something that he would not like to do.

"Can these warrants be read in the Landstradt offices, sir?" the Chair demanded.

"Yes, sir, they can be if you so desire," was the reply.

However, that choice was howled down by the Lesser Houses who wanted to know which houses were implicated in misusing the recourses of the Landstradt.

"The Chair does not want to be seen as blocking arrests involving the contravention of Landstradt ordinances," the Chair stated, allowing the arrest notices to be read out in session.

"Sir, I will open the first warrant, it is in regard to the unjust accusations that led to the destruction of the Yunki Clan, ten years ago: the Attorney General of Adenomere accuses Master Jaar Adenomere, Patriarch of the House of Adenomere, his elder son, Marius Adenomere, Master Martin Climb, Patriarch of the House of Climb, Master Emond Burling, Patriarch of the House of Burling, and Peotre Adenomere, Head of the Third House of Adenomere, of being complicit in the conspiracy to undermine the confidence of the Landstradt with the Yunki Clan, by the planting of false evidence that led directly to the destruction of House Yunki."

That led to an explosion within the Landstradt which the Chair quickly gavelled down.

"Please continue, sir," the Chair instructed.

"Masters Jaar Adenomere, Emond Burling, and Martin Climb, are also implicated in the conspiracy to steal House Yunki property and resources and make them parts of their own companies and houses.

"In addition, House Adenomere and House Climb are accused of taking into their possession the members of the Yunki Clan as slaves and working the elder members of the Yunki Clan to death while selling off the younger members of the Yunki Clan as slaves to other houses and or companies on other Alliance planets."

This statement caused an uproar in the house that was again required to be gavelled down by the Chair.

"Sir, I have here the orders for the arrest of these individuals forthwith. A Judge has already established that, as this was a deliberate act, it constitutes multiple First Degree Murder charges, kidnapping charges, the illegal sale of non-slaves as slaves for profit, theft of property, theft of funds, and the misuse of the Landstradt ordinances for the illegal purposes. There will be no bail."

Again the Landstradt erupted in comments both for and against the actions. However, because the Alliance was formed by pirates and thieves, any actions by the law on Alliance Worlds was an almost foregone conclusion as the law could not act without irrefutable proof.

"Chair, I also have additional arrest warrants," the man advised.

"Go ahead," the Chair replied resignedly.

"This is in regard to the Attempted Murder of Aurelia Gordon, now Lady Aurelia Adenomere, when she first arrived on this planet on 31 August 2486. It calls for the arrest of Master Jaar Adenomere, Patriarch of the House of Adenomere, his son Marius Adenomere, Antonius Adenomere, Head of the Second House of Adenomere, his son Fabian Adenomere, Peotre Adenomere, Head of the Third House of Adenomere, his son Lucius Adenomere, and the Marcon Security Agency, which carried out the attempt, and lays out the structure of the conspiracy and its purpose."

Aurelia stood and looked at Marius. "Marius? You would have me killed? Why?"

"Silly girl, you are worth ten million AP dead or alive," he told her with a sneer. "I never intended to marry you. You were foisted on me by your father and mine."

Without thinking, Aurelia's hand lashed out, striking Marius squarely in the face with power, nearly knocking him out of his seat. The blow rocked Marius hard and left a large red handprint on his face.

Before a blinking Marius could react, he was placed in cuffs by the local police. The Landstradt watched in shock as the men were led away.

Aurelia had to act. She moved to the Patriarch's chair, purposely sitting down while all watched her.

"I am Lady Aurelia Adenomere, now the head of House Adenomere, as confirmed by Jaar Adenomere, by the Landstradt, and by the Attorney General just now," she intoned, looking squarely at the Chair. After a moment, he nodded his head, acknowledging her position.

"Mr. Korman, I need control of all House Adenomere computers and assets," she whispered, looking to her left. Korman nodded his compliance to his new boss.

"Lady Adenomere, Marius never took possession of his status as heir," Korman whispered back. "I can redirect that status to you and then declare Jaar Adenomere incapacitated. Technically, he will be within a month or so. The courts will likely find him guilty and he will be executed, that's as incapacitated as it gets.

"Once the house computers have been redirected, that will make you the sole owner of the Main House of Adenomere," Korman told her.

Aurelia nodded and Korman did something on his comp then set his comp to hers, she felt the rumble and heard the beep. Korman checked his comp, giving a short nod, then indicated that Aurelia had the title. The house computer acknowledged this and all accounts were immediately transferred to Aurelia.

"Well done, Mr. Korman," she spoke, genuinely impressed.

Korman blushed with pride. In all his years, none of the Adenomeres had ever praised him for any of his hard work. He now understood why her servants were willing to give so much of their time and effort to Mistress Aurelia.

No, he amended to himself, Lady Adenomere.

Aurelia rose and was acknowledged by the Chair. "Chair, with the information that the Prosecution has provided, is House Yunki going to be reinstated as a Great House?" Aurelia pointedly asked.

All members of the Landstradt now turned to face the Chair, who suddenly found himself in an untenable position.

"By Landstradt law, any house that has been falsely accused of a crime must receive reparation after the false accusation is confirmed. However, there is not much that can be done for a dead house," the Chair stated.

Aurelia stood again. "Chair, it has been noted that all of the children of House Yunki have been sold off as slaves. Do we know where they went?"

She looked around at the members of the Landstradt. If any of them had taken possession of the Yunki children, they were either not aware of it, or not saying so for fear of being implicated in the conspiracy.

1...456789