All Comments on 'All That Glitters Ch. 46'

by bigtddybr

Sort by:
  • 12 Comments
DogmancyprusDogmancyprusabout 2 years ago

Another excellent chapter. 5*

H2OBorneH2OBorneabout 2 years ago

Brilliant as always! Now to wait for the next chapter. Be well and write as quickly as possible, while maintaining your usual standard of excellence.

DistantConstellationDistantConstellationabout 2 years ago

Huge fun. I'm especially enjoying the exploration of empathy and telepathy in the kids.

Nit -

"Sir, Science, the ship is carrying.50C," Science indicated the speed of the oncoming vessel. (p4)

“This is SSP Winston … We … have no means of slowing ourselves down at this time, over.” (p4)

“If that ship cannot separate by more than a full degree by the time it gets to 500km, we will use torpedo impacts to turn it," Fiona ordered. (p5)

"Two thousand kilometers and closing, Ma'am," Science called out.

[dialog]

"Sir, I am showing more than one degree of separation by the ship," Science called out two minutes later.

Edit check – you want to change the velocity or the distances. The whole thing works if you use 400,000 km in place of 2,000 km, and 100,000 km in place of 500 km.

Or, if you use 750 km/sec in place of .50C. Still plenty fast for maneuvering near planets.

Either change makes it work without causing short circuits in brains that follow the math.

Otherwise – 1500 km passes at 1/100th of a second at .50 C, so there ain’t no 2 minutes of waiting to see if the course has changed enough to avoid blowing up the Winston.

arrowglassarrowglassabout 2 years ago
Another wonder!

Your detail makes this so believable! A remarkable read!!!

reader291reader291about 2 years ago

Another great chapter. I just read the whole series again. I find something new each time I read it. I love the way the story line and cast evolve over time.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Brilliant as always. Looking forward to lots more to read.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Leia had an interesting idea to provide passenger service in addition to the freight service. This could be a nice income stream for at least a decade or more. I would imagine each civilization to acquire government and military use ships initially. So it would be likely several years until they get around to building civilian and freight FTL ships. This will allow their company to become known in the interspecies space as a regularly scheduled FTL option for travel and delivery.

Just curious if these new ships will be able to be armed in interspecies space? Their borders are not well guarded yet so it would be appropriate for them to be able to protect themselves un the borders are secured.

Another thing that was confusing in this chapter is on why they had to depend on the new mutual assistance treaty with the greater community, rather then a similar mutual assistance agreement within the union. They are only getting about 2k additional engineers from the other races. Surely they could get that many or more from the 40+ Union planets that were already fully trained. I'm sure that in the long run, the additional trained engineers would be a benefit to the Greater Community, But if they would have received them from within the Union, they would have been trained and there would have been no need for as much supervision from the Military.

bigtddybrbigtddybrabout 2 years agoAuthor

To Anonymous: Yep, Liea anticipated that and applied said logic to The new builds. Civilian ships can be armed but Union regulations limit the armaments on civilian ships to the Maximum of the Mk48 pulse cannon, the smallest pulse cannon available. The new ships, of course, will get the upgraded version, which is very much overpowered. They can, and will be, armed with rail guns as well but most civilian ships do not have the ability to track targets for rail guns. That would have to be built into or retrofited into a ship, an expensive option for most companies.

If you had read carefully, there are No human engineers available in Union Space with all the new construction going on. Better to bring in engineers certified to work in space and train them to work on human systems rather than train apprentice engineers from scratch, which would take considerably longer. This benefits all of the member races and gives Pallanders the necessary time to train new human engineers from scratch, a process that would take a minimum of one year and likely longer. Hope That clears things up a little.

RayvenCloudRayvenCloudabout 2 years ago

Another excellent chapter, which I have read three times already, catching little nuances each time..

RayvenCloudRayvenCloudabout 2 years ago

I can just see it now being broadcast over the ICS;

"Bonjour! We are Hanalei and Junelliya, and welcome to another delicious edition of 'The Piscium Kitchen'. Today we will be making ...."

silmarillisilmarilliabout 2 years ago

coming from an academic background, your use of et al. is quite unusual - I'm not sure if it quite works? especially as it isn't used in the same way in previous chapters (i don't think)? feel it would be better to just say something like "and so on", as et al. isn't something commonly used in dialogue and normally denotes additional authors of academic texts.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

An interesting story full of intrigue, adventure, humor, even Happy feelings at times. When read as a work of fantasy it provides great entertainment.

I often used my browsers “look up” feature (Google/Web Search ) to look up the meaning of words, names, locations, et al. in stories (Grin). Who knew that I would learn so much about the different uses and meaning of words (vice, homophones, etc. ), even grammar just reading for entertainment!

And I learn that not everyone is “American” and talks the same way as I do. C’est la vie.

- pal

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userbigtddybr@bigtddybr
20 Apr 2024. Ch. 65 is nearing completion. Hopefully it will go to the editors by the end of next week. I want to put out at least one chapter per month. The new version of the Notes chapter (v 14), was finally posted. I do not know why it takes so long to post these Notes cha...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES