All That Glitters Ch. 54

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The interview went on for some time afterwards, however, the important part of the interview had now been delivered...

Office of the Director, Main Control, Liramor-23, The Piscium System

The second act of splitting the enemy forces took place on Liramor-23 itself as Cynthia Stewart interviewed the Director Fiona Marsh herself.

"Good day Director Marsh, it is good to see you once again," Cynthia began for her audience.

"It is always a pleasure to host you Cynthia," Fiona shammed as Cynthia was based out of Liramor-23, though most of her audience had no idea of this.

Cynthia asked some basic questions as to how the station was doing and what was happening in the immediate future before she asked a loaded question...

"I recently interviewed the Chair of the Landstradt of the Alliance, Martin Grovern and he had some interesting comments about the Mercenary Force in the Asocan Realm. He called it the Grazia Pirate Fleet.

"As I understand it, Sector Fifty-Nine includes the safety of Asocan Space, at least until the Asocans can field their own fleet. Are there any plans to go after the Grazia Fleet?"

"Unfortunately, the President has declared that the situation in the Asocan Realm is an internal situation over the succession of the Asoc. As such, we have been banned from entering Asocan Space until this situation has been resolved one way or another," Fiona replied.

"But Chair Grovern has indicated that this fleet has broken the Lannette Nuclear Protocols and that the fleet should be prosecuted," Cynthia countered.

"They have indeed and, should they return to Union space, they will be prosecuted to the letter of the law," Fiona assured her.

"Meaning?" Cynthia asked rather dramatically.

"Meaning that they will be given one chance to surrender then they will be destroyed. Even if they surrender, they will then have to pass judgement for being part of a fleet that broke the Lannette Protocols. Unless they can prove they were not part of the decision making process of that launch, they will likely be executed," Fiona explained.

"And what if they could prove they had nothing to do with that decision?" Cynthia was curious (for her viewing audience of course).

"Then they will have to answer to being pirates and not accepting the offered peace agreement provided to the Alliance to end piracy," Fiona stated firmly.

"So, some leniency for the younger members but those that have been involved with raids resulting in deaths will be heavily prosecuted?" Cynthia guessed.

"I am not a lawyer but I am pretty sure that would be a good assumption," Fiona answered.

The interview carried on with some lame questions but the important part had already been established. The pirates had no home in human space anymore...

Warship Carillon, In Orbit of ShemetAR, Eighty-Six Light Years from AsocAR, The Asocan Realm

The Fleet Grazia was in the habit of watching news from the Alliance taken off the ICS Web. They did not trust the news coming from the Union, though they did look at it for 'intelligence' purposes.

Today, the crew of the Warship Carillon, a Ballaron Class Escort Ship, would get quite a shock. They all heard the Chair claim that the Alliance would not accept them back into Alliance space after having refused the act of clemency once. They also heard that they would be prosecuted for breach of the Lannette Protocol should they be found in Alliance space or in Union space.

The crew looked at each other. Their last ties to human space had just been forcibly cut. They had no retreat. They would have to rely on Unaayel, an Asocan who was certifiably insane, to abide by her agreement. They all knew how that kind of deal ended...

"Sir, Comms O, we have an Asocan wishing to speak directly to you," the Comms O reported.

"Right, send it to my ready room," the captain ordered.

He opened the screen to an Asocan that he did not know (though truthfully it was, as yet, difficult for him to easily identify the different Asocans that had contacted him or the fleet).

"Sostoc Dener?" the Asocan demanded.

"I am, and you are?" Dener replied.

"I am Dragon Utan> Mutt Beng, Junior Ambassador to the Asocan Embassy of the Interspecies Embassy on Liramor-23," Utan> identified herself. "I speak for Asoc >Catal Mutt Herrtt with an offer of clemency if you and your crew will surrender to the Asoc."

"An offer of clemency?" Dener asked. "And just how would that work?"

"The ships of the Grazia Pirate Fleet have all been painted as rogue by the humans for having broken with the Lannette Protocols. We Asocans know that only one ship is actually responsible for the launch of the weapon that destroyed Semt Shall.

"We will provide clemency for all the other ships so long as their crews surrender their ships and take up residence on a planet in Asocan Space. Why Asocan space? Because you are no longer welcome in human space nor anywhere else in the Greater Community.

"Under the terms of the agreement, you will be allowed to take the monies provided by Unaayel as fees for your hire to be used to provide you with material to set up on the new planet.

"The planet is just that, a new planet, wild and uncivilized. You would be pioneers in developing the planet," Utan> finished.

"What's the catch?" Dener wanted to know.

"The catch is that once you land planet side, you will never be allowed to return to space again, on pain of death. However, you will be allowed to help develop a new planet and make of it what you can," Utan> informed him.

"And our ship?"

"The Asocan realm will purchase your ship, the funds being made available for the use of your crew in developing the planet," Utan> answered. "In addition, the Asocan government will continue your current pay for the next ten years as a form of compensation for having surrendered. Call it severance pay if you will."

"And if we decide not to surrender?" Dener asked.

"We are coming for Unaayel, Sostoc. We will take her down, if not tomorrow, soon enough. Those ships that refuse this offer of clemency will be captured or destroyed and the surviving crew will face justice. Asocan justice is not human justice, Sostoc. You will all face the death penalty if you refuse this offer."

Utan> let that hang in the air for a bit.

"What of the planet itself?" Dener inquired.

"That planet is well within the human habitable grade. It is not truly suitable for Asocan habitation, having too few swamps for our needs. As such, it will be opened up to other races to exploit, though the administration of the planet will remain with the Asocan government because of its location in the Asocan Realm.

"An offer will be made to the other races that would find the planet suitable for their members to assist in opening the planet. That includes humans from both the Union and the Alliance so you will not be completely alone as a species on the new planet.

"We estimate that the planet will eventually hold more than eight billion inhabitants. Eight of the twelve species would find this planet suitable, so we intend to allow for the eventually immigration or birth on planet of one billion members of each of these races. That will take place over several decades, the numbers being low to start with.

"You, and those of the Grazia Fleet that accept this offer, will be of the first humans to be placed on the planet. The planet has much to offer, not the least of which is a place of refuge to the members of the fleet," Utan> stated.

"And where is this planet?" Dener demanded.

"We will not disclose the location of the planet until such time as you have surrendered. We do not want other members of your fleet to seek out and destroy those who have accepted clemency," Utan> returned.

"So, we will only find out the location of the planet after we have surrendered?" Dener asked.

"That is correct," Utan> confirmed. "You will surrender at a specific location from where you will be brought to the planet. You will be given as much equipment as you can afford to set yourselves up on the planet. Once down on the planet, you will never be permitted to leave again.

"Realistically, where would you go? Anywhere in the known galaxy will be hostile to you," Utan> ended.

"You expect us to believe that you will bring us to this planet once we have surrendered?" Dener said with a sneer.

"Sostoc, I am not sure who you have dealt with previously, however, we Asocans are people of our word. If we say we will do something, then we shall do whatever it is we have agreed to.

"However, this offer has a time limit. Once we begin to bring the war to Unaayel and the Grazia Fleet, this offer will be terminated, as will you. You must act before then or not at all.

"Your options are limited. You are on borrowed time, Sostoc. Any who refuse this offer must be willing to accept death as a consequence. I am sending you a web address. If you decide to accept this offer, send a message to this address. We will send you additional information for you to peruse. If you accept the offer, we will then make arrangements to conduct your surrender and your placement on the planet in question."

The message abruptly ended.

Well, shit, Dener thought. I wonder how many other ships of the fleet have received this message?

Asocan Embassy, Interspecies Embassy, Liramor-23, The Piscium System

Dener's thoughts were being mirrored by the team at the embassy.

"How many do you think will take up the offer?" one of the new Sostoc demanded of Utan>.

"Hard to say. These people are pirates, criminals. They have lived a rough life and are constantly under the threat of death. But, when they cut their links with The Alliance, they put themselves at a disadvantage and they know it.

"Now, the actions of the warship Astigalin at Semt Shall have placed them all under a shoot first or execute them later order. If even a small number accept the offer, that will be enough for us.

"LoSostoc Clark thinks that we will get around ten but it depends on how swiftly they act on the option. If they move quickly, we will succeed. If they dither, then we will be dealing with the force as is and they will be prepared to battle to the death," Utan> explained.

"When do we make our first attacks?" someone else asked.

"I'm told that we will begin our assault in two week's time. The offer will be withdrawn at that time," Utan> stated. "Make sure that we have someone constantly monitoring that website."

Unnamed Star System, 154 Light Years from AsocAR, the Asocan Realm

Two days later, the first of the ships to take up the offer of clemency arrived in an unnamed star system. They found themselves surrounded by thirty modern and well equipped ships of the Asocan Navy.

The Byron flashed S - S - S on its white lights. The lead Asocan vessel returned the appropriate signal then opened coms with the ship.

"This is the Warship Byron, Captain Vion Pallia commanding. We have come in connection with the offer of clemency," a rather nervous human in a captain's uniform sat on the bridge of the ship.

"Byron, this is Sostoc Murld Mutt Mattas, commanding the Drall Asocan Ensch. We are here to accept your surrender. Are you certain that this is what you wish to do?" Murld demanded from the Battle Bridge of the Ensch.

"We are the first of the vessels that wish to surrender. If our surrender goes well, there will be others," Pallia replied.

"We understand. The situation is simple. We will shortly board your vessel and officially accept your surrender. As of that time, you will be considered non-combatants. You will be brought aboard one of the vessels in this fleet where you will begin the indoctrination for your move planet side. There is much that you must learn before you can be brought to your new home. So this will take some time.

"As part of the compensation for your surrender, the Asocan Realm will purchase your ship at a market value price. As your ship is a Handren Class Frigate, it will afford you some two billion Roppar. This will be placed in a consignment from which you and your crew can order equipment to develop your new home.

"The Asocan Ministry that administers this planet have provided a proposed list of minimum equipment that each of your crew will be required to purchase, basic survival material necessary to survive for one year on the planet. What you purchase above and beyond that will be up to you as a group to decide. Again, there will be a suggested list dependent on what you decide to do in the area of your landing site.

"Should you decide to make that site a town, then certain equipment will be suggested. If you should decide to make your site some kind of mineral mine or logging site, then other equipment will be suggested. Since the list of choices is virtually limitless, the list of potential equipment is also limitless. Much will depend on the decisions you make before you arrive on planet.

"For now, we request that you open your shuttle bay so that we may enter your ship and conduct your surrender," Murld stated.

Pallia looked up at the tactical board and noted that four shuttles were approaching the ship. This was the moment of truth. He looked around the bridge and silently asked the question. Each man in turn gave a swift nod of his head.

"Comms, give me all-ships," he ordered. "This is the Captain. We are about to open the shuttle bays and allow the Asocans to enter our ship. If any of you wish to object to this, now is the time to say so."

He waited several minutes and when no one responded, he ordered the shuttle bay doors opened.

The shuttles moved into the bays and disgorged some forty Asocans each. They moved throughout the ship, effectively taking it over. They were gentle with no threatening moves, yelling, or displays of weapons, though they did carry them.

A Gurd came onto the bridge and bowed to the Captain.

"Sostoc Pallia, I am Gurd Horra Mutt Sim. I must ask formally, is it your intent to surrender, sir?"

"It is," Pallia stated.

"Very well, sir. Please sign here," Gurd Horra said, showing a form with a place for the captain's signature. He signed.

"Sir, as of this moment, you and your crew are now considered non-combattants. You will be allowed to return to your cabins to extract your personal belongings. If you have civilian garb, it is best if you change into it. Uniforms will denote you as criminals on the planet. It would be better to avoid that. Please do not take weapons with you.

"Once you are ready, we will move you to one of four ships where you will be provided the equipment you will need for the initial extended stay on your new home planet. We will support you until you can construct suitable habitat for your needs.

"During your indoctrination, you must decide what you will do on the planet. There are many different kinds of opportunities for you there. You should decide individually and as a group what you will be doing and set yourselves up to accomplish those tasks.

"An administrator will have each of you sign a form for your continued pay, which will be provided each month to an individual consignment over which you individually have drawing power. Any additional funds you currently have can be placed in this account. It can be used to purchase necessary equipment to do whatever you need or to assist in your comfort on the planet.

"Do you have any questions?" the Gurd asked.

"Only personal items, no weapons, and none of our own survival gear?" Captain Pallia asked.

"Military weapons will designate you as something that you are not. This will not be good for you on the planet when other humans begin to arrive. You will be provided with suitable weapons to use for your defence against the larger animals on the planet but they will not be military grade. Once again, military uniforms and paraphernalia should be avoided, though some items like swords and knives can be included," the Gurd replied.

"What of our slaves?" someone asked.

"The Asocan realm does not recognize slavery," the Gurd emphasized. "As such, the moment you signed your surrender, your slaves were free. They will remain on this ship and be provided assistance for their release into the human sphere."

"What if they decide that they wish to join us on planet?" another asked.

"That will be their choice to make, however, that choice will be made only when they fully understand that they are in fact free people. We will brook no further discussion on this issue," the Gurd stated.

"I will ask, do you wish to withdraw your surrender?" the Gurd demanded, this time with a little more emphasis.

Pallia looked around the bridge and got no dissent from his people. It helped that the slaves were communal slaves and not personal slaves to anyone on the ship.

"We accept the terms of surrender. We wish to be able to keep in constant contact with the other ships of the fleet that are contemplating surrender," Pallia stated.

"That will not be possible as it will allow those monitoring you to possibly determine where we currently are. However, we will not object to frequent contact between you and the others contemplating surrender. You will forgive us if we choose not to give our location away until we are ready to receive the others."

Pallia nodded his understanding.

"You may send a brief message if you wish to indicate what has occurred so far, however, it will be sent from one of our ships as a burst transmission to the ICS grid. Please do not include locations or coordinates," the Gurd indicated.

Pallia formulated a brief message and sent it to the Ensch which forwarded it to the grid. A few moments later, the crew were taken a few at a time to their quarters where they changed into civilian attire and took those items they wished to keep. Only knives and swords were allowed as this was in keeping with the Asocan way.

The piecemeal surrender of the Grazia Fleet had begun, even if Admiral Grazia wasn't quite aware of it, yet...

Main Conference Room, Juliet Deck, Interspecies Embassy, Liramor-23, The Piscium System

Four days later, Raymond was giving a summary of the surrender process to the Asoc.

"After the first ship surrendered, we had received indications from fourteen ships that wished to take up the offer of clemency. That number increased as the process continued.

"We have been bringing them in four ships at a time. The process is labour intensive in that it takes time to indoctrinate the crews for their move planet side. However, we can now state that five ship loads of crews have arrived on the planet and are beginning their new lives.

"We have since learned that the Grazia Fleet has 5,682 crew and an additional 3,218 slaves spread over seventy-six ships. We now have seventeen ships in the process of surrender, with some 1,253 crew and 812 freed slaves, and an additional eight ships that have indicated their intent to surrender.

"The slaves are being processed separately. The crews of the ships demanded that we allow the slaves to join them on planet, however, once the slaves determined that they were actually free, none of them chose to join their former Masters on the planet. No surprise there," Raymond said.

"So we have or will shortly remove twenty-five of Grazia's ships from the fleet so far?" the Asost inquired.

"That is correct. So far we have had no problems during the surrender but we are keeping a watchful eye on each ship. These people are dangerous and must be treated with extreme caution," Raymond advised. "We do not anticipate a rebellion; however, we are prepared for it."

"Twenty-five ships out of seventy-six. That is roughly thirty-three percent of their fleet. And they have not noticed yet?" Ambassador Alvoie asked.

123456...9