All That Glitters Ch. 61

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Once the public begins to purchase and build commercial ships, we will have a potential threat to the Resestess. So, we are looking at six to eight years out," the Kumaraie explained.

"Something to look out for then. What of the High Priestesses? I understand they have access to the avatar. Will they be subject to manipulation by others?" Angelique asked.

"The short answer is, yes," the Kumaraie replied. "But we will be keeping an eye out on that issue."

"So we have done what we can for now?" the President asked.

"We have, though there is no guarantees in life, Wilford," Na-Maj told him. "Look at what has happened to us in the last couple of years...none of this was expected."

The President smiled at that and gave a nod of acknowledgement to that as he ended the call.

"Well, time to head back to the barn," Raymond said. "Speaking of which, I would like Prakeshya to be available to our language specialist, Doctor Litton. She oversees the creation of the language matrices and is the person currently working on the new Sandekk matrix and the ancient Pod-Drran translation. As Prakeshya and Junelliya are the experts on the language, having access to them would be a benefit to Doctor Litton if one or the other was not available.

"The faster she finishes the matrix, the faster will the Pod-Drran and Maha-Rrin have full access to the avatar," Raymond clarified.

"Can we introduce Prakeshya to Doctor Litton when we return to Liramor-23?" asked the Kumaroe. "We have been invited to dine with the Piscium family tonight and our brood is looking forward to that. Could we request that Doctor Litton drop by if that would be possible?"

"We will make it happen," Liea assured him.

L-1894 The Piscium Apartment, Liramor-23, 109 Piscium System, 106 Light Years from Terra

The brood were having a great time dancing to recordings of Miss Barbara. They had never moved like that before so were thrilled to try new things under the guidance of the Piscium Children. They had been thrilled to be given their own collapsible staffs and even more thrilled to learn that their new PSS had special pockets in the legs to keep them, along with pockets in back for collapsible batons!

Kim had taken all the Kumir-Rai/Ro away to show them how to use their very own collapsible staff weapons and collapsible batons. She, Ululla, and the Brucomma Saalaa, had grilled them mercilessly on the use of these new weapons that could be hidden on their persons. They then took them out to the Food Court for a feast while Gillaya, Violletiya, and remaining two Brucomma had kept up security at the apartment, with Marrallan helping the Piscium ladies cook.

The guest list was a little smaller this night with only Raymond, Liea, Gillaya, the Kumar-Pair and their brood, the Mylatin Alafka, her two Brucomma Deerla and Meerlaa, Alafka's PA Marrallan, Martte Garnal Mutt Herrtt, her aide and bodyguard, Fiona with her aides Capt. Émilia Pétillante, and Grace Holloway, and the Santos family Juliana, Clemente, and Armando.

The Pemipinae had begged off as she was not feeling so good so had stayed on The Wanderer under the watchful eye of Ayesha.

The door chimed. "It be Miss Litton, mamma," Zarreniya informed them. Violletiya let her in.

"Hello, I was told that I was needed here tonight," she said as she passed something in a plastic container to Violletiya. Noting the presence of the Kumar-Pair, Mylat Alafka, and Martte Garnal, she gave a low bow.

"Hi, Hillary. Come on in," Hanalei called out. "We know that you are working with Junelliya to perfect the language matrix for the old Pod-Drran so the Kumar-Pair have a request of you."

"We do. You are probably aware of the recent event of finding the original Resestess with the AI avatar?" the Kumaraie verified. "Well that means we would like you to make a priority of the old dialect, please. In order to assist you, we would like you to take our daughter's contact code so that when the Atohan is not available you can still continue with your translations."

"OK, the best thing we could do is keep you appraised of Junelliya's schedule so that Prakeshya would know when she needs to remain available," Dr. Litton advised. "Otherwise, I will try not to impose on Prakeshya."

"That sounds like a sensible solution, unless Prakeshya wants to be more active in the translation?" Junelliya asked, getting a positive Pod-Drran nod from Prakeshya.

"Right, same thing then. With Junelliya here on the station, she will be my number one go to person, though we will include Prakeshya in our discussions as frequently as we can. Is that OK?" Hillary asked, getting nods all around.

"You're just in time, Hillary, sit down and enjoy the meal," Hanalei called out as she began moving covered pots to the large table. The Pod-Drran all hummed excitedly as they sniffed the delightful scents coming from the pots. The meal was just as good as it smelled...

************

A routine set in after the event with the children attending the daycare, learning the Cattass from Arttra in the daycare and at the apartment, and learning the piano and guitar from Clemente, again in the apartment.

Armando was now in school full time and attending the junior class in what was, for now, effectively a one room school (due principally to the small numbers of children). His intelligence, and the effects of being around the Piscium children, was beginning to show through and he was now the lead of his age level in the class.

Bullying of any kind was strictly forbidden and the daycare/school made a statement of cooperation with everyone. The multi-species nature of the environment precluded anything else. After all, Shamot were armed with their Damate and likely to take bullying as a formal challenge. When explained in this manner, most young humans who had a propensity for bullying suddenly decided that discretion was indeed the better part of valour.

The Piscium children were required to surrender their actual Damate at the door of the daycare. This was so other human children would not ask to have knives or other weapons in the daycare.

The daycare was growing, now having more than 150 students of various ages and races. Urano was happily working on her dissertation for her Doctorate in Early Childhood Development. Her dissertation was based on the differences in childhood development of the various races she had access to as half of the available races had still not brought children to Liramor-23. However, that was changing as more members of the other races were scheduled to arrive on the platform soon.

Hospital, Hotel Deck, Liramor-23, The Piscium System

The Kumar-Pair stopped in to the hospital to see Temp-Harn Kai-Rai. They indicated to the Rai not to rise from her bed as the pair entered the room.

"How do you fare?" the Kumaraie asked.

"Much better, My Kumaraie, though these marks will apparently never leave my skin." Tempa was referring to the Lichtenberg Figures, the marks left behind when a large electric charge coursed through a person's body. "I am fortunate that I am recently mated as I doubt I would have secured a mate with this disfiguration."

Tempa was referring to the fact that the Pod-Drran were very proud of their bodies. They did not appreciate those who had disfigurements that made them stick out. Scars from battle were one thing and something that a Rai/Ro could be proud of but physical deformities and disfigurement was something totally different. It was not unusual for families to leave out to exposure brood members that were not perfect, something that the Kumaraie wanted to change but was currently very much fighting an uphill battle against.

"How did your mate take this?" The Kumaroe asked in curiosity.

"He thinks they are beautiful, but then, he is a strange Ro," Tempa stated, though there was pride in her voice at the comment. That brought a smile to the Kumaraie.

"When will they release you?" she asked of Tempa.

"Right now actually," said a new voice that entered the room. They turned to see Kayl-Ur Sai-Sin-Dae. "She is doing much better today. Your balance will be affected for a few more days so I would advise not getting into any challenges for the immediate future," Kayl stated half jokingly.

Tempa laughed at her then jumped out of bed and almost fell to the floor, catching herself on the bed at the last moment.

"I see what you mean," she joked as she stood up with the help of the bed.

"You should be fine so long as you don't make any sudden moves. Next time, listen to your doctor when she makes a statement. It took me many years to achieve my Sirch (trade) and I appreciate it when those who I am serving in that capacity take my advise seriously," she snapped testily.

"Yes, Sin-Dae," Tempa replied with a smile. "Forgive me for not bowing to you, My Kumar-Pair, however, I would prefer to not find myself face down on the floor."

"You are forgiven," the Kumaroe answered, "this time," he said with a smile.

"It was our intent to return to Pod-Saar today, Tempa," the Kumaraie stated. She turned to look at Kayl-Ur.

"Absolutely not!" she told them in no uncertain terms. "The last time she jumped on the Wanderer, it left her in a state of nausea for more than a day. She will remain here for a week before we allow her to take the chance on making a jump. By then, her balance should be properly restored."

"Listen to the Sin-Dae, Tempa," the Kumaraie ordered. "We will advise the embassy that you are here for the week. Besides, you need to make a call on a certain little girl and inform her that you are doing better. She was worried about you."

Tempa gave a very short nod of her head and thanked the Kumar-Pair for looking in on her.

L-1894 The Piscium Apartment, Liramor-23, 109 Piscium System

Early the next morning, The children were having breakfast when the door chimed. Zarreniya looked confused and then smiled.

"It is Tempa-Harn," she informed the family with a smile.

Violletiya opened the door and gave Tempa a withering look. She smiled back at the family's guardian.

"You need not fear me," Tempa spoke. "I have come bearing a peace emblem." She showed two very nice looking sheathed knives and what appeared to be several scrolls.

At a raised eyebrow from Violletiya, she opened one of the scrolls to show Pod-Drran music. That brought a smile to Violletiya.

Tempa entered and smiled to Junelliya and Hanalei. "Atohan. I would speak with your little ones. I owe a formal apology to one of them," she said to Junelliya.

"You say sorry already," Ikekiya replied for herself. "You need say no more."

"That is true, little one. However, I was informed on more than one occasion that it was you who not only warned me but also saved my life by sending in Kayl-Ur Sai-Sin-Dae and her mate, Hend-Ur Sai-San-Dan. I would have died if they had taken longer to get to me. While I have apologized for not listening to you, I have not thanked you for saving my life."

Here, Tempa gave the children two scrolls each. They opened them up and cooed at what they saw, their eyes lighting up at the new music.

"What of the knives, Tempa?" Hanalei asked. "The Children already have a Damate.

"I am aware of who has and who has not a Damate in your family, Gurn Hanalei. These knives are not for the children. They are for your guardian and for your PA who do not have a Damate of their own," Tempa stated with a smile.

Violletiya smiled at her, reached behind her back, and flicked two extended batons out to show that she was indeed armed. She raised an eyebrow to Tempa, who burst out laughing. Pod-Drran did not have eyebrows and found humans doing this more than amusing.

Tempa raised both knives in one hand. Nodding toward them, she silently told the guardian to choose one. Violletiya took one of the knives, the one in the gold sheath. She pulled the knife and inspected it critically. It was well balanced, and sharp, but at 21cm was a little longer than she preferred, It was still a good knife. The blade was two sided and thin, the hilt made for human hands. It was likely purchased on the platform's concourse. Nothing wrong with that, it was a well made blade.

She sheathed it and pulled the other. It was identical to the first other than being clad in silver instead of gold. She smiled and threw the gold knife to Sylvie who pulled it and went through a few variations of knife Kata's that she had learned along with the children. Tempa was impressed. This one was not the guardian yet was well versed with the weapon. Sylvie sheathed the weapon and gave a smile that lit up her face. She had wanted to buy a knife for some time but did not know who to ask about the purchase as Kim and Galiya were always busy and Violletiya rarely used them. Now, she had one of her own.

Tempa laughed at seeing her expression. "I gather that I am forgiven for doubting the Prophetess?" she asked.

"I say, you listen?" Ikekiya asked rather sternly. Tempa nodded. Ikekiya smiled and came over to give her a hug. "Thank you for music, Tempa. I like."

Zarreniya too gave Tempa a hug then the children ran into the music corner and attempted to analyze one of the sheets of Pod-Drran music using their Ukelele to do so. They were having fun and it showed on their faces.

"Time for me to go to work," Fayad said as he stepped away from the table. He gave his wives kisses, then got hugs and kisses from his brood. He stepped up to Tempa and extended his hand in Pod-Drran fashion. The two clasped arms.

"I am impressed, Tempa. Most Rai are not capable of analyzing their errors, let along correcting them," Fayad said. He gave a curt nod, then left. Tempa noted the long knife at his left side, and the Damate on his right. She remembered that Fayd was named a War Dragon and a Sai-Ro...War Dragon Fayad-Piscium Sai-Ro, a formidable foe who had used that same long knife at his side to defeat several accomplished Rai during the recent attempted coup against the Kumar-Pair and to successfully go into battle with the Asoc against her hated foe.

Tempa would not want to face an Asocan with anything less than a Kaldar. That Fayad could and did so was nothing short of incredible. That he did the same against Asocans with >Curlat was on another level altogether!

After having witnessed the knife forms that their PA had just displayed, she was suddenly very aware of just how vulnerable she was in this space. When she had walked into this home, she had thought the guardian would be the one to be warry of. How wrong she had been!

As soon as Fayad left, Sylvie once again pulled her knife. She was rolling it over her hand on the balance point, having fun playing with it.

"Sylvie, please don't cut yourself, blood is hard to get out of silk," Hanalei admonished, getting a giggle from Junelliya. The Cats suddenly dropped down on the shoulders of Hanalei and Junelliya, they had noticed Tempa from their Cat House and now that Fayad had left, they were curious about the new person.

"Behave," Junelliya told them as they began to get somewhat excited on her shoulder, bobbing their little heads up and down. "They want to greet you but they are a little too excited at the moment. We shall let them calm down a little first. Come, sit at the table. We shall have tea."

Tempa came over and gingerly sat at the table to worried looks from the others. Suddenly, Zarreniya was there beside her. She reached up and touched the soft spot on her shoulder that was the indicator of heat for the Pod-Drran (instead of the forehead like with humans). She put the back of her hand against it and waited a moment.

Zarreniya looked into her eyes and then took her pulse, placing her fingers on the appropriate spot, which was much higher up on Pod-Drran arms than on human arms. Tempa was impressed that the child knew so much about the anatomy of her people.

Zarreniya smiled and patted her forearm. "You be fine, rest more," she told her, very much surprising Tempa. "She need stim tea, mommy," she informed Hanalei. Tempa looked at the two very much amused Marti of the brood.

"We have yet to find an area of study that the children have not found an interest in. That includes medicine as well as music," Hanalei told her. She placed a box on the table in front of Tempa, who opened it. There were many jars inside. She opened one and found a very pleasing aroma from it.

"Teas from Anuura, our home world," Junelliya informed her. Tempa began going from jar to jar, enjoying the smells. When she opened the fifth jar and took a sniff, she suddenly found the fuzziness in her mind lifting. She gave a surprised look to her hosts.

"A mild stimulant that Pod-Drran find interesting," Hanalei said, "it is also the 'stim tea' that Zarreniya suggested."

The door chimed. "It Mind-Ur," Zarreniya informed them. She waved her hand and the door opened, which surprised Tempa. She noted that the others did not respond to this so assumed it was something that they had rigged up with the apartment's door sensor.

Mind-Ur entered. "Hello, who have we here?" she asked.

"Mind-Ur, Phrat-Mahi of the House of Ur, this is Tempa-Harn Kai-Rai," Hanalei introduced them.

"The same Tempa-Harn who was struck by electricity from the Resestess?" Mind asked, amused.

"Yep," Zarreniya replied for all. "She 'lectric lady."

An amused Junelliya barked a laugh at Tempa's new nickname. "You do realize that whenever you visit here now you will be known as Tempa-'lectric lady-Harn?"

Tempa smiled at the thought. "So long as it is only here in this place I will not mind," she replied much to the amusement of the others.

Mind sat at the table and pulled the box of teas toward her as the Cats came down to greet her. The three looked over to Tempa, bobbing their heads as they did so.

"OK, we can greet her then," Junelliya said, sitting near to Tempa. She reached out her hand to Juneya and had Tempa hold out her hand in the same way. The Cat jumped lightly over to Tempa's hand and ran up her arm to her head. Tempa felt something inside her head and turned to look at the little creature. It's red eyes seemed to be glowing. She remembered that these were the Chlaerge who had judged the people in the throne room.

Juneya suddenly rubbed her head against that of Tempa's. Tempa heard and felt as the Cat rumbled into her ear. It was the most peculiar feeling. Quite unexpectedly, Juneya slipped through her hair from one shoulder to the next, chittering excitedly. Juneya jumped back to Junelliya and the other Cats moved up to greet Tempa, each also taking the time to 'swim' through her hair.

"They like you," Ikekiya said, appearing beside Tempa. She smiled at the Rai and then ran back to the music corner, the excited Cats flying along behind her. Tempa then realized, she had been judged by and excepted by the Chlaerge! She turned to look at Junelliya, awe expressed on her face.

Junelliya patted her hand. "It takes some getting used to," she unnecessarily informed Tempa, who could only agree.

Once Mind had made her selection, Hanalei made up portions of teas for each of them and set them in cups to steep. Tempa had the presence of mind to run her comp over the tea cup to be sure it wasn't dangerous. The first sip of the new tea brought a pronounced clarity of mind to Tempa. "Woah!" she exclaimed.

"Yes. It has that effect on the Pod-Drran and Maha-Rrin," Junelliya told her. "For this reason, we do not sell this tea to your people, other than the medical teams, who use it sparingly for medicinal reasons, as we are doing for you."

Tempa gave another look at the children who were now beginning to play one of the pieces of music that she had brought them. She was surprised that they had deciphered the musical piece so quickly.

"I have taught them modern and ancient Pod-Drran music notation," Junelliya informed her. "The children really do enjoy music and they are good at it."