All The Young Punks Pt. 35

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So you hired a manager for that? What percentage of your income is she getting for that?"

Joe froze. Laura's question was a light punch in the stomach, a belly that had already been queasy over this business relationship. Barely three months after hiring Sheila Abrams as band manager, Joe was having serious doubts.

"I'm sorry," Laura said. "That's not my business."

"It's not that," Joe said. "You're right. We never should have hired her, or any manager. We could have hired a girl like you to work at Guerilla Records to run our tours. You'd have Marty there, and Marsha." Joe leaned closer and whispered. "I fucked up."

Laura didn't know what to say. Joe stared at her. He had just confessed that he regretted hiring Sheila, her boss, and now he had to decide if he trusted Laura enough to continue. He scooted his chair closer, to the side of her desk and leaned in.

"Look. I don't know why I trust you." He whispered, looking into Laura's green eyes. "Maybe it's the loyalty and discretion thing. But I'd like you to reconsider your loyalty and help me figure out what the fuck is going on here."

Laura felt a rush of warmth in her chest. It moved up her neck. Joe noticed her face turn pink. He smiled. She was affected by Joe's manners, his voice, the way he was so comfortable and forthright in conversation. His confession surprised her. She had seen Joe perform a handful of times. The Young Punks were her NYU friend's favorite club band. They all thought Joe was talented and gorgeous. Now he's inches away asking for her loyalty in the most calm and seductive tone.

Laura stared into Joe's dark eyes. "What's going on here?" She said meekly.

Joe laughed, startling her. "I don't know! That's the problem. Why did she open an office to do a job I once did from hotels and payphones?"

"You're not her only client. Sheila has her Broadway talent."

"How many have you met?"

"Five. Maybe six." Laura scrunched her nose. "What are you asking me to do for you, Joe?"

"I would like eyes and ears in this office."

"You want me to be your spy?"

Joe nodded. "It seems every chick I meet from NYU is a smart girl."

"Oh, and you're going to use flattery to lure me in?"

"And the best ones are beautiful too," he smiled

Laura laughed, trying to maintain coolness as her heart pounded. She felt another wave of warmth. "I've heard this about you too."

"What?"

"You're a flirt, but you have a beautiful girlfriend. You like to tease girls."

"I confess to being a flirt, but I'm not trying to hurt anyone. I'm friendly to dudes too. I have lots of male friends and I tease them too."

"What's in it for me?"

Joe put his hand out. "You would be my friend, and I'd owe you a chip."

"What does that mean?"

"A favor. Maybe someday you'll be in a pinch, something I can help you with, and you can cash in that chip."

His hand was still out there. Laura stared at him. He pulled it back and reached into his inside breast pocket. He removed a pen from a holder on Claire's desk and wrote five letters on the back of the card. Joe handed Laura the card.

"What's this for?"

"It's my business card, duh."

She rolled her eyes, "No, these letters you wrote."

"If you show that card at Tommy Guns you won't have to pay the cover... for life."

Laura laughed, "First it's flattery, then flirting, and now bribery?"

"We're friends, right?

Laura didn't answer. It was now her turn to decide if she trusted him. Joe leaned back and looked at Laura, taking in her face and hair, and then it dawned on him why she was so familiar.

"I just realized that you look just like my ex."

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

"I love Claire, and she's beautiful. It's a good thing."

Laura blushed. "You love her?"

"Yeah," Joe sighed. "She was fun and I have no hard feelings."

"You're shameless. You're telling me I remind you of someone you love to recruit me into whatever scheme you have cooking?"

"No scheme. I just need eyes and ears." Joe put his hand out again. "Do we have a deal?"

Laura looked at the hand. "Okay. I'll be your inside girl." She accepted his offer.

Joe stood up. "I have to run." He slid the chair back to the wall.

"You're not going to wait for her?"

"I have your eyes and ears," he said, smiling. "I don't need to meet with her. She won't tell me anything. Sheila is not very trusting, she told me that herself. That was a red flag I should have noticed. People who don't trust are often untrustworthy."

Joe walked to the elevator. He pressed the button and turned to her. "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Laura laughed, "Okay, Rick."

As Joe took the elevator down four floors he smiled. 'She knows Bogart.'

---- To continue with the author's note ramblings in my profile, I had to delete previous notes. ----