All The Young Punks Pt. 47

Story Info
Under Pressure.
8k words
4.85
636
0
2
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The nurse tried in vain to remove Stan's visitors from his hospital room. Marty, Joe, Tina, and Stan's son Jonathan sat or stood at his bedside. Stan was not pleased with the bossy nurse.

"We know he's okay," Joe said. "He's complaining."

"You heard her," Stan said. "There's still seven minutes of visiting time and she said it's over. She's a goddamn liar."

"You're going to need her, Stan," Marty said. "Being a difficult patient isn't going to make your stay any more pleasant."

"Pleasant? You think I'm worried about pleasantries. It's a hospital, not a resort. She has a job to do whether she likes it or not."

"You mean whether she likes you or not," Joe added. "And we know the verdict."

Tina turned to Jonathan. "Was he like this when you were growing up?"

"No. It came later."

Jonathan was a quiet man, in his forties, and appeared eager to leave. Joe got the impression that father and son did not have a warm relationship.

"When did he become a monster?" Joe asked.

"It's hard to say," Jonathan said. "It was a gradual change."

"It's called getting old... and being sick and tired of bullshit," Stan grumbled, then coughed.

Stan suffered a broken toe, a badly bruised foot and hip, and may have suffered a mild heart attack. Seven hours after the accident he seemed his old self, miserable. The nurse popped her head in the door.

"Visiting hours are over."

"It's 7:58!" Stan shouted. "I have a goddamn clock. You should learn how to read one."

Joe, Marty, and Tina laughed. Jonathan didn't find his dad's outbursts amusing.

"I'll pop by tomorrow to see you," Joe said. "Try not to piss the nurses off too much."

"You don't need to be here," Stan pointed at him. "You need to get on that bus and do your job." He turned to Tina, softening his tone. "But if you'd like to visit me, that would be nice."

"Are you hitting on my girl, old man?"

Tina leaned down and kissed Stan's forehead. "I have a busy day, but I'll come by in the evening."

"Good. Your boyfriend will be out of town," Stan winked.

Joe was quiet on the subway ride. It had been a very long day. As they walked home from the station, he remained quiet.

"Are you okay?" Tina asked.

"This fucking city."

"Oh, that again," She bumped against him. "Stan stepped off the curb too soon and some jackass in a hurry cut the corner on the light change. That has nothing to do with New York."

"That's not what I mean. It's the callous disregard for someone in distress. Not one person offered assistance. One woman asked if he was okay. Dozens of people stood gawking, hundreds walked by without a glance. This city doesn't give a fuck."

"And you give too many, Joe. Your emotions work overtime. If you see someone hurt, it affects you, and you jump right in. I admire your empathy and I love that you're a caring man. You get angry that everyone isn't like you, and that's not helping anyone. You're just angry."

"I'm sorry. I can't control how I feel."

"But you can control your reaction. You told me that yourself, that fifty-percent thing you learned in therapy."

"That's not the same."

"Sure it is. Don't overreact. You do it all the time."

As they approached their stoop on Jones Street, Tina pulled him close. "Stan is okay. This is our last night. Can you snap out of it for me?" She kissed him and reached down for his junk.

"Yes." He walked up the steps. "Do you know what I was thinking today?"

"What?"

"A few years back, a taxi did the same thing to Sheila. She jumped the light, he cut the corner, and she got splattered with gutter swill." He turned to Tina under the stoop light by the door. "If that cabbie had turned a few seconds later... he would have saved me a lot of fucking trouble."

"That's terrible."

"I'm not the nice guy you think I am. I have a dark side."

"I know you do." Tina walked inside and upstairs.

As she unlocked the door to 3C she asked. "Do you know what I was thinking today?"

"What?"

She opened the door, tossed her purse on the side table, and turned to Joe. "It's late April and you've been home less than one month this year. These tours are crap, but I'm trying to not be a bitch about it. I hate sleeping alone."

"I know."

"Do you have any idea how little sex we've had this year? It's fucking insane."

"I'm painfully aware." He kissed her. "In one month I'll be home for the summer." He held up three fingers. "For three months."

She hugged him. "I can't wait. It'll be glorious."

The short tour in May was the middle America route hitting cities they missed during the northerly and southerly routes. It was a one-way zig-zagging bus ticket through the Midwest, Great Plains, and Rocky Mountain states roughly following Interstate 70 and then I-80 to the Bay Area. The band would fly home out of San Francisco. After that, it was three months off, and not everyone was happy.

"We're gonna spend our entire summer home because of Tina's bullshit," Sal complained when he was first informed of the change in plans.

Joe ignored him.

"How many times do we have to bend over backward to keep the peace in your house?"

"Bend over backward? What the fuck are you talking about? When have you ever lifted a finger outside of showing up for gigs? Now that you don't drive, you do nothing except play bass and fucking complain."

"I do my share."

"And more than your share of bitching. I need the summer off from you!"

"Go fuck yourself, Joe. You think you're the boss. You have everything your way. I'm fucking sick of it."

"I'm sorry you have no meaningful relationships, Sal. Women are nothing but fleshy toys to you. It's pathetic."

"Whoa," Simon stepped between them, putting hands on each man. "So you get the summer off, Sal. Take a vacation. No one says you have to spend three months in the garage."

"Who the fuck is gonna go on vacation with him?" Joe laughed. "He'd have to hire a fucking hooker."

Sal lunged through Simon. "Fuck you, asshole!" Simon held him back.

Joe smirked at Sal and gave him a head nod, almost a challenge.

When The Whale left NYC for middle America, Joe was grateful they had Larry again. It would be his fifth tour with The Young Punks. The tension between Sal and Joe was enough that even Larry noticed. When Sal was in his bunk and Joe was in his seat by the door, Larry asked.

"What's going on between you and the gorilla?"

Joe exhaled. "He's pissed off that my personal life has left us with the entire summer off. A few days back he said some stupid shit. I lost my cool." Joe shrugged. "Sal and I have always been like this."

"He doesn't want the summer off? That's a dream come true."

"Not when you have no woman in your life, no hobbies or interests, and not enough imagination to entertain yourself. Sal's like a bored first-grader. He gets all fidgety and acts out."

"How can you work so closely with someone you're always at odds with?"

"It's not easy. There were occasions when I was done with Sal. I thought it was over, but we patched things up and kept moving forward."

Simon walked up from the lounge, "He resents that Joe runs the band, more or less."

"More," Joe said.

"I had to get between them. I thought Sal was going to knock Joe's head off."

"Pfft," Joe scoffed. "Please."

"You think you could take Sal?"

"Not in a fair fight," Joe smirked. "He's got that gimpy football knee."

"You'd take out a bum knee?" Larry asked. "That's some dirty shit."

Joe steeled his eyes. "When it's him or me, there's such thing as a dirty fight."

"Why does he resent you for doing the work?" Larry asked. "That makes no sense."

Simon answered. "Because Joe's the ringmaster, he gets all the attention. You've seen the girls, Larry. Remember Diedre?"

"Sal does okay," Larry noted.

"Joe did all the tour planning before we met you. He dealt with any issues with club owners, which is a lot more than I imagined it would be. Because he did all the work he scheduled gigs to suit his personal life. Sal resents that. He thinks Tina is holding us back."

"And when I handed the tour planning job off to our management, Sal pushed for longer tours, and that mother fucker...."

"Hey," Simon interrupted. "Let's not relive that."

As the band was wrapping up their tour in California, with shows in Santa Cruz, San Jose, and San Francisco, Joe was eager to get home. Simon had his flights booked for the UK. He was excited to have the summer off.

"As soon as you have the UK dates and venues you've got to pass them on," He said to Joe. "I'll be telling all my mates The Young Punks are invading England. I'm really looking forward to the next tour." He smiled. "We're touring Europe. Can you believe that?"

"Yes, but I'm not as jacked up as you are. I think Ken is booking us in venues we won't sell out."

"We've sold out a bunch of theaters."

"Yes, in our country. We sell out two thousand seaters, maybe three thousand in bigger cities back east. They're booking four thousand seat theaters over there."

Simon shrugged. "That's not your job anymore. You can't control it so don't worry about it."

"I think EIC is making a mistake. That's all I'm saying."

--- DINNER FOR THREE ----

During the May tour, Joe called home a couple of times per week. Tina was stressed out on some of those calls. There were problems at both galleries. The only thing Joe cared about was opening day and if it was being delayed further. Tina had no answers. When Joe got home, he learned the new date was in August.

"I don't know exactly what day," Tina said, exasperated by his queries. "They just said it won't be done in July."

"I used all the capital I have to push our Euro Tour back. I can't do it again."

"That's September, Joe, not August."

"Unless you have more delays."

"I can't wish the work done. I have no control over it."

After a few days of one-on-one time, they invited Jenna over for dinner. When she arrived, Tina was in the shower, Joe was cooking, and Jenna poured them shots of tequila.

"She's been spinning, Joe. Margaret is making her crazy. We think she might know that T is leaving but she doesn't want to say anything."

"Tina should quit now. She doesn't need that Nazi cow up her ass."

"I think that's why Margaret hasn't said anything. She's afraid Tina might quit sooner."

"How is making Tina's life miserable helping?"

"It's not. It's just the way she is." Jenna raised her shot and downed it. "Then she has her construction problems. The foreman is a condescending ass. He calls her Little Lady. T doesn't like it but she needs this guy, so she lets it go."

"What's the new big fucking problem?"

"They have to replace a beam between the first and second floor and then add supports."

"First permitting problems, then electrical, and now structural. If there are any more delays I'm fucked. Don't tell Tina this, but I can't make any more changes. She knows that, but she's not being reasonable. She just says to do whatever I must to be there for her."

Joe placed corn tortillas in hot oil. "I'm worried, Jen. I have this bad feeling that her project is going to collide with my tour. And she's gonna lose her mind."

"You did what you could. You took the whole summer off. She knows it's not your fault."

"It's not my fault. It's her Soho slum."

"It's not a slum, Joe. It's a very nice building"

"A very nice building with electrical and structural problems." Joe worked his tortillas. "The thing is, T doesn't want to hear it. She won't discuss it. There are no reasons or excuses that will get me off the hook. I made this stupid promise and now I'm fucked."

"Nothing has happened, Joe. It's June. You've got eleven weeks before you fly, right?"

"Yes, and that's a long time. Plenty more can go wrong in Soho and the extra month I bought is about gone."

"You don't know that," Jen leaned closer after hearing the shower turn off. "Why do you always think the worst will happen?"

"I don't."

"Yeah," She made duck lips. "You do. You worried yourself sick over Johnny. This thing with Sheila was high drama, and now this. You just assume..."

"Hey," Joe pointed his tongs at her. "How did Johnny and Sheila work out? I was right the whole time."

"Yes, but did all that worrying and anxiety change anything? Did it help?"

"Shut up, Jenna."

"Are those tacos ready?" Tina shouted through the bathroom door.

"We're done!" Joe shouted. "You got dishes."

"You assholes!" The door flung open. "You didn't eat..." she realized he was kidding. Tina walked over in her silky robe, her hair in a towel. "What are you guys talking about?"

"I was telling Jen about my museum adventures this last trip. It's the best way to kill a rainy day and I go when it's sunny too."

"I'm so jealous," Tina said. "He went to MOMA in San Francisco.""

"That was a nice way to spend a rainy day," Joe said. The whole time there I thought, 'T would love this."

Tina went to her tiptoes and kissed him. "Someday you can take me to these museums you've seen."

"Okay little lady, take your tortillas and build your own tacos. My work is done, little lady."

Jenna laughed. Tina made a face, trying to recall if she told him about Phil the chauvinist foreman.

Over shredded beef tacos, cerveza, and tequila, Joe pondered what Jenna said. Yes, his gut instincts were correct in the past, but what good did his anxiety do? It just seemed the stakes were higher this time. Tina was more important to him than his band. He didn't want to disappoint her. For Tina, disappointment was hurt. It was one of her childlike qualities, but not a cute one.

After dinner, Tina ducked into the bedroom to put clothes on. Jenna helped Joe with the dishes. She leaned against him at the sink.

"She's head over heels in love with you, Joe. I know you have problems, your road trips, and the groupies, she whines about it to me. And you meeting her parents, talk about anxiety. She felt terrible and was a wreck for weeks. But you got through it. Now she's worried about your career being a problem. Tina loves you. As long as you know that, you'll get through anything together."

"My band might be the end of us."

"There ya go again, Mister Doom. You've been through a lot of shit with your band. You'll figure it out. You always do."

--- SELF PROPHECY ----

Less than a week into his summer, Tina had a request. Joe wondered if it was a test. He had previously informed her he was done with the art snob fundraisers and galas and would only attend events at her gallery.

"Gail and her people who are supporting my gallery are having a cocktail party. It's not a fundraiser per se, but she's hoping to pick up more investors. You said you'd come to events for my gallery, right?"

Joe nodded. "Where is it?"

"At a gallery in Tribeca, not far from my place."

"Is it a black tie affair?"

"No, and I think you'll find this crowd a little more palatable. It's not just investors and donors. There will be many young artists there."

"When is this?"

"What else do you have going on?"

"I need to go back to Providence. I talked to Jackie this morning and she gave me hell. You complain that I've been home for four weeks this year. They've had me for four days and they're upset with me."

"The party is on Friday night. Can you wait until Monday to go home?"

"Yes."

"So is that yes for the party?"

"Yes."

Tina stared at him. "Is that all you have to say?"

"Yes."

When they arrived at the gallery in Tribeca, it was in an old warehouse, larger than the other spaces Joe had visited. He liked that there was more room to roam, but he was especially pleased to see a good mix of young and old people. He and Tina went straight to the open bar, once she had her martini, Tina was pulled away. Fortunately, Joe saw friendly faces across the room.

Jenna smiled as he walked up, "You made it. Tina thought you might back out."

"I'm trying to keep the peace at home. It's been rough."

"I know. She's been stressed out. Margaret didn't take the news well. I'm glad you convinced Tina to give notice sooner. I think she and Mags will be okay. It might get better."

"How did she take the news that you're going with T?"

"Pfft," Jenna scoffed. "Mags doesn't care about me, and that's why I'm following T."

"I'm very happy to see you. You can save me tonight. Tina will be everywhere but by my side tonight. You watch. I'm glad I have you to lean on."

"I know," Jenna made eyes. "I won't let the old ladies hurt your feelings."

"You sound like T, when she's being a bitch."

Jenna laughed. "This thing is about pulling in more money to cover these cost overruns."

"Why can't she leave Mags now? Just be done with it."

"You know, T. She told Margaret she'd stay another month and Tina feels how she exits this job will reflect on her. She also needs the income until her place is up and running."

"I'll pay the bills. She doesn't need to work. She could focus her energy on this and be done with Mag's abuse."

"You'll have to take that up with Tina."

He and Jenna were joined by another NYU friend, Stephanie. Joe had done a couple of happy hours with blonde, curvy Steph. He liked her but she was coarse at times. She and Jen walked Joe around and introduced him to several young artists. A few knew his band. Tina was recruiting talent for her future studio. This event was more to Joe's liking. The younger people had their own thing going on, away from the main party and powerbrokers. He would have been perfectly happy spending the evening with the next generation until he saw Gail Mortensen alone at the bar. He excused himself.

She smiled as he approached, "I'm glad you decided to attend, Joe. Tina said you vowed to never come to another of our soirees after your terrible New Year's fight. Shall we have a drink?"

"Sure."

She turned to the bartender, "Make that two dirty martinis."

"I told Tina I would attend her gallery events, no others. I'm done with these geriatric snobs. This party is okay." He pointed across the room. "Look, young people."

"I think you'll see more younger artists at Amethyst events." Gail leaned in. "That's one reason I'm backing your girl. We need an infusion of youth... and cool. She brings that."

"That's good news."

"Tina and I had a long talk after your fight at my place. I felt awful. I'd like to apologize for the rudeness of my guests that evening."

"I appreciate that you had my back. She never believes me when I tell her how awful these people are. Thank you for setting her straight."

"Yes. She said it was all in your head and you're overly sensitive. I told her what I'd witnessed. Not just that night. I saw it at other parties."

"I needed that. Your party was a sobering reminder I don't belong in your world. I love and support T but I cannot stomach these events. This is like the ninth or tenth I've attended. I leave feeling like crap every time. Tonight feels different."

"Hopefully Joe, you will find a balance between your world and hers."

The bartender delivered Gail's martini, and then Joe's. She held her glass up.

"Here's to your lovely lady." She took a sip. "Look at her. They love her. She's going places, Joe. I hope you're ready for the ride."

Joe sipped his cocktail and exhaled. "Have you ever been with someone and not liked their friends?"

"Oh my, you think these people are our friends? Please, I want them to donate money to help young artists. I don't like many of them, really."

Gail put her arm out for Joe to take, as she always does, and they strolled the periphery of the party chatting. She updated Joe on gallery construction news. The second martini relaxed him. When she mentioned the latest delay, Joe felt a lump in his throat. He was unaware of this new development.

"When did you hear this?" He asked.

"Yesterday. It's just one of those things."