All The Young Punks Pt. 47

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Wasn't there an inspection before you signed for that place? It seems there are a lot of unpleasant surprises."

"That's what happens with buildings from the last century. There's a hundred and eighty years of wear and tear, occupation, and who can guess what shoddy work was done over the decades?"

"How much time is this gonna cost?"

"Another week, maybe ten days."

"I'm so fucked."

"Why?"

"Because I promised Tina I would be here to help her decorate and set up once the construction was done. She wants me here for her opening gala, the first day of business, and a few more. I leave for London on September 1st."

"I see. She did mention this, but I was unaware of a deadline."

"I took the entire summer off for her, and these delays have fucked me. We'll she be opening in August?"

"I honestly can't say, but I believe so." Gail stopped walking and looked up at Joe. "You seem distressed."

"Yeah, I am. She's been very stressed out and she's adamant that I be here, but I have no control over it. I can't shake this feeling of dread."

Gail smiled, "She's madly in love with you, Joe. You'll figure it out."

"I don't see it that way. For years I've felt Tina is out of my league. Someday, she's gonna see what I see. It might take a while, but she'll realize she can do better, dump my ass, and marry some super wealthy man twenty years older than her. Look around, those couples are everywhere. Older men with money marry younger women like you. Sorry if that offends you."

"No, not offended at all. It's a fact. I hope you never express those feelings to Tina. She would certainly be offended and you could have yourself a self-fulfilling prophecy."

"I cannot reason with her. She demands I do whatever it takes to keep my promise. I thought I did, and now I don't know."

"Tina tells me you're very resourceful. You'll be fine."

After the party, walking to the subway, feeling better about his experience at this party but not about his deadline, Joe was quiet while Tina talked. Eventually, she sensed he was not well.

"Did you have a bad night?"

"Not at all. This was the best of these events, which isn't saying much. It was good. except for Gail telling me about your support beam delivery running late. I'm worried your opening will run into my tour."

"It looks like the end of August."

"Fuck!:

"You've always made things work, Joe. You run that band. Just do whatever it is you must do to be here for me. That's all I'm asking."

"I'm not running these tours, T. You know that."

"You'll figure something out. You always do."

"Why does everyone keep saying that?"

--- MILK CARTON ---

After two weeks in NYC with nothing to do, no gigs, no recording, and no business meetings or lunches, Joe was excited to be on the road to Rhode Island. He had the top down, the wind in his hair, and no music on. He was in his head. Since Christmas, he spent two nights at home in February, and two more in April. He needed to see his sisters.

When Joe arrived, Jackie was home alone, reading at the kitchen table. When he walked through the door, she looked up and smiled. There was no big reaction. Jackie got up and hugged her brother.

"We saw your face on a milk carton last week. I'm so happy you weren't kidnapped."

"Nope, just crazy busy on the road and dealing with Tina at home."

"So that's home now. We know, but you've never said it before."

"I know." He leaned against the kitchen cabinets. Jackie sat down. "Where is everyone?"

"Today's the last day of school. They'll be home soon. Mom is out with Nana doing old lady stuff. How's Tina?"

"Stressed the fuck out. I needed to get away, sis. I'm not kidding." Joe told Jackie the basics of Tina's summer of chaos and his summer of nothing.

"All I'm doing in The Village is my daily errands, shopping, cooking for Tina, and sometimes Jenna. I do the laundry and clean the apartment."

"Ha! You do laundry and clean?" Jackie made a 'ya right' face. "Have Tina take some pictures for me. I need evidence of your domestication."

"I've always cooked and helped around the house. I practically raised you brats."

"I mean laundry, cleaning, and dishes. You do none of those."

"Well, she's working and I'm not. I do all of those in New York. It's nice being home, but I'm bored. I have too much time on my hands."

"You can't help with her project?"

"Nooo, the unions would pitch a fit. She's got carpenters, electricians, pipefitters, all unionized. I think the guy in the catering truck is in a union. If I tried to help, that would make me a scab. I can't even hang out... safety regulations."

"Come here." Joe put his arms out. Jackie got up and embraced him again. "I'm sorry I haven't been around. I know you don't believe me, but I miss you. I miss my girls."

"We miss you too. The postcards mean a lot, Joe. We know you haven't forgotten us. It's so funny how excited everyone gets over a silly little postcard."

"Postcards are cool," he kissed his sister's hair and stepped back. "It's the whole picture speaks a thousand words thing. And I get to put a dumb joke on the back."

Jeanie saw Joe's Caddy in the driveway. They heard her scream, feet stomp up the stairs, and across the porch. The outside door flew open, more stomping on the inside stairs, and the kitchen door burst open.

"Joey!" She ran to him. Her arms wrapped around his neck. "I love your postcards from the Rocky Mountains. I miss you. How long will you be home?"

Joe looked her in the eyes. "I don't know, but I have the whole summer off."

"Really? Today was the last day of school."

"I know. Then I'm going to Europe."

"Oh, my God." She smiled. "I want an Eiffel Tower postcard, and Big Ben."

Jeanie didn't stop talking for fifteen minutes. Joe sat with Jackie at the kitchen table and watched their little sister, so happy to see him.

Jules and Mom arrived home at the same time and it all started again. While Joe updated them on his life in NYC, Jeanie ran off to get her box. When she returned, she pulled a few postcards off the top and dumped the rest on the table creating a pile.

"These are my favorite new ones," she said. "Then she showed Joe The Space Needle and the Golden Gate Bridge. I like the other tower too."

"CN in Toronto?"

"Yes."

"And the one with the horses and city skyline."

"Calgary."

Jeanie was now fourteen, a soon-to-be freshman in high school, and not a kid anymore, but she hadn't yet metamorphosed into a moody teenager as Jules did. She remained a deep well of positive energy, full of wonder.

"Do you want to know what I missed last summer that I want to do this week," Joe asked. "I want to go to the beach."

"Can we ride with the top down?" Jeanie asked excitedly.

"Of course."

Two days later, Joe drove his three sisters to Scarborough Beach. They claimed a sandy spot near the pavilion, swam, soaked up the sun, and had lunch at the snack bar. As they dined on bad beach pizza and burgers, an old friend approached. Kelly Marsh wrapped her arms around Joe from behind. When he turned, she kissed him.

"I'm so happy to see you. I can't believe your band. You're all over the radio."

The sisters looked up, wondering who this girl kissing their brother was.

"Yes, in Rhode Island," Joe said. "not everywhere." He looked at the girls. "These are my sisters, Jackie, Jules, and Jeanie. Girls, this is Kelly. We went to high school together."

"Why is she kissing you?" Jeanie asked. "You have a girlfriend."

"Take it easy. It was just a peck."

"On the lips."

Kelly smiled, "Because your brother is adorable."

They talked for a while, sisters watched with suspicion in their eyes. Kelly told Joe of her new job and he spoke of his upcoming Euro Tour. Kelly was shocked they were going overseas. After she left, with another kiss, his sisters grilled him about who she was and why she was so kissy with him.

"She's an old friend. We had a thing once. Don't worry about it."

There was one thing about their beach day that made Joe uncomfortable, dudes checking out his little sisters in their bikinis. He noticed it all day and he didn't like it. As they swam in the ocean and walked on his beach, Joe realized his sisters were growing up fast and he was missing it.

---- FOOL FOR THE CITY ----

Back in The Village, Tina was thrilled to have him back, because she needed someone to vent to. Her anxiety level was at nine.

"I told Mags I would help find my replacement. We've had six girls come in, four were highly qualified, two were outstanding, and I know both of those girls personally. Mags is not impressed. I want to wring her neck."

"Would Jenna have a shot at that job if she stayed behind?"

"No," Tina said lowly. "Mags isn't impressed with Jen either."

"Just another reason to hate that Nazi cunt."

She put her hands around his neck and kissed him. "I need you, right now. I don't care about dinner. We can order out and eat in bed."

Tina needed more than venting. She needed to fuck. Sex was her ultimate stress relief. Joe rarely initiated sex. If he was home, Tina wanted to fuck every day, or suck his dick, usually both. She had an active libido, imagination, no inhibitions, and she had to make up for all his lost nights on the road. She hates sleeping alone. Tina was stressed at work, and on her job site, and Joe knew her best stress relief was an orgasm. It was Tina's favorite remedy for all that ails her.

After an hour of messing up the sheets in various positions, they sat in bed eating kung pao and low mien from cardboard take-out containers. Tina had a look of contentment. Her mood was adjusted.

"How are your sisters?"

"They were very happy to see me."

"What did you do?"

"All the stuff we usually do when I'm home. I took them out for pizza and ice cream. Jules and Jeanie went to Haven Brothers with me and we hit the East Side bookstores. You know the drill."

"And your record shop."

"Of course. And I took them to the Roger Williams Park Zoo."

"I'm glad you saw them but I'm happier that you're home. I need you here to keep me sane."

"I'm not a miracle worker."

"Ya, know," she said, slurping noodles. "Don't be shocked if I come home early someday after walking out on Mags. I was so close three days ago."

"I suggest tomorrow. I'll pay the bills for July and August."

"Thank you, but I'm going to try to stick it out."

Joe played doctor at night and Mister Homemaker during the day, and he still had time on his hands. He took drives around the city in Ellie. He surprised Tina with lunch a couple of times, eating in her office at VSGG. He might hit a diner and record shop, or stop by Tommy's to have a beer with day-drinking punks.

His flight to London and Tina's opening night loomed, a dark cloud on the horizon. Days passed with no updates. He needed to know the damn date of the Amethyst Gala.

---- DEAD MAN WALKING ---

Joe first heard it from Jenna. In late June, he phoned VSGG to learn Tina had stepped out of the office to deal with a problem at her work site. Jen informed him Tina and Gail had set a date for her opening.

"Friday the 31st? Fuck! That's the night before I fly. I have a 7 AM flight out of JFK."

"Does she know that?"

"Of course she does. I keep reminding her. She's sick of hearing it."

"What are you gonna do?"

"What can I do? Assuming that date happens, I'll be at her gala and fly out the next day."

"You'll be here for the hard work, decorating and getting ready, and for her big night. I'm sure that will be good enough. After that, it's just normal business."

Joe exhaled. "I don't think she sees it that way."

When Tina got home that evening, she didn't mention the date until late at night. He had no intention of asking, expecting her to be upset if he raised his concerns for the hundredth time. She hadn't been sympathetic. He had two months to figure out a way to make this work. When Tina finally informed him her gala was August 31st, he didn't react and she didn't mention his tour. It was as if she hadn't made the connection that September 1st, and his flight to London, were the very next day.

Joe began plotting. At a deli lunch with Stan and Marty, he told them of his dilemma. They knew he was dealing with personal problems because he was always managing Tina's expectations and disappointments. It was part of doing business with Joe.

"One has nothing to do with the other," Stan said. "If you're here to help her set up shop and for her la-dee-da gallery opening, she should be happy. You have to be on that flight."

"She wants me to be there when she opens for business on Monday too."

"You can't be."

"What if I flew a couple of days late? I could arrive the morning of the first show, the fourth."

"You have obligations other than performing. Benjamin expects you to be there glad-handing his clients and promoting this tour. Ticket sales are not great."

"Ticket sales are fine," Marty said. "It's still nine weeks away."

"I told Ken Harris months ago that these venues were too big. We can sell those numbers here in New York and our established markets, but our West Coast gigs don't sell out."

"You sold out a lot of shows out west," Marty said. "And the ones that didn't were close."

"Marty, those theaters were two thousand seaters. There were a few over 2500. They're booking much larger venues."

"You needed two shows in San Francisco."

"Because The Fillmore only holds 1300. I wanted to play there because it's historic."

Stan pointed a finger at Joe and peered over his glasses. "Don't be getting any silly ideas in your head that you can delay this thing. You can't. This is the last tour we have to deal with Benjamin's people. Just do the job, and we're done with him."

Marty looked at Stan. "So you don't think we should work with EIC? These tours are bringing in good money."

"Fidel here doesn't want to work with evil capitalist corporations," Stan glanced at Joe.

"Piss off, Stan." Joe turned to Marty. "I can't call David Benjamin and ask for another reprieve. Can you call Ken and ask if I can push my flight back two days?"

"Goddamnit," Stan slapped the table. "You're gonna fuck this up over your girl?"

"I can tell Tina I tried but Stan wouldn't allow it."

Stan looked at Marty. "Make the call. It won't hurt to ask."

Joe had been doing pre-show meet and greets for EIC for most of the eighty-six shows. The company had partners and friends in every major city, people who expected access to the bands coming through town. While he loved his band's fans and enjoyed meeting them, Joe had no use for the corporate hangers-on who attended these phony, fake smile events. He hated pretending to care. He figured missing the pre-tour party in London would not be a major problem. No money would be lost. He would be there for every show and all the parties afterward. While he waited for an answer, he worked on a contingency plan.

There was no chance Sal would be sympathetic to his cause. Nate was unlikely to go along, but if he could get Simon to play along, maybe the band standing behind him in a minor rebellion would help his chances. When Simon arrived back in New York after weeks in the UK, Joe invited him to lunch. He explained his situation.

"If they won't let me fly late I'll say fuck it. I'm not flying Saturday and if they don't like it I'll fuck off the entire week and show up in Liverpool or Birmingham. I just want someone to stand with me, band unity."

"Ha!" Simon laughed while stirring his tea. "Good luck getting Sal. He's become bloody hostile over this Tina shit."

"If I have you, maybe I can get Nate."

"So you'll fuck the London shows?"

"Honestly, I don't know. Maybe it's just a bluff, or maybe I will tell them to fuck off."

"I just spent twenty-four days telling everyone I know we're playing the Hammersmith Odeon on the 4th. I have dozens of mates coming to that show. I don't want to fuck off on that gig. This is my neighborhood, Joe. I'm bringing The Young Punks home."

Joe's heart sank. He knew the UK leg of this Euro tour meant a lot to Simon. It was a long shot, but he tried. "I'm afraid she's going to lose her shit and do something crazy if I don't keep my promise."

"Like what, leave you? That bird is crazy for you, mate. She's not going to dump you over a couple of days."

A day later, when Marty got back to Joe, he made it clear in the harshest terms. "Ken didn't want to bring this to David. I pleaded with him and assured him you'd be at the first show. He talked to Benjamin and from what he said, items were thrown in his office. David said any breach of contract would set off a lawsuit."

"Where did I sign saying I would do these bullshit appearances?"

"I have the contract, Joe. EIC gave me a copy after you backed down and agreed to do the shows. Trust me, it's in there. They have done everything you've asked. You took the entire summer off. They've already moved shows for you. You're pushing them too far."

"I'm not flying on Saturday."

Marty moaned. "I didn't want to say it, but David will be at that tour launch party. He told Ken if you're not there he will ruin you and our company."

The fight was over. Dreading the moment of informing Tina there was nothing he could do to delay his departure, Joe simply put it off for a few days. He was surprised she had not yet raised the issue herself.

While cooking dinner one evening, he mentally prepared himself to tell her that night. When Tina came home in a foul mood, he chickened out. Two days later he was ready to bite the bullet again. He ordered a pizza. When she arrived home in a surprisingly good mood, he decided he didn't want to ruin her evening. Her happy days were rare. Why mess it up? He could tell her over the weekend.

When she informed him they had dinner plans with her parents in Brooklyn on Saturday night, he figured that was not a good day to break the news. He'll do it on Sunday. On Sunday morning, she was horny, jumped on Mr. Morningwood, and rode him hard. After squeaking and squealing through an orgasm, she fell on his chest and kissed him.

"How about we stay in today and have a play day?"

"I can do that," he said. There was no way he was ruining a day of sex with bad news.

Days passed. Each time he tried to summon the courage to deliver the news, he'd back down, finding another excuse why this was not a good time. He wasn't going to ruin the Fourth of July holiday. A few days later, Happy Hour with Jenna and some of their artsy friends wasn't a good time. Days turned to weeks.

--- FORTY NINE DAYS ---

Tina sat on the bed in her summer jammies doing some nail clipping on her oddly long monkey toes. Joe calculated the danger posed by nail clippers. He sat on the bed beside her, took a deep breath, and said what he had to say in the fewest words possible.

"I don't know if you realize this. I'm flying on September 1st, the morning after your opening night event."

She stopped clipping, looked at him, but said nothing. Joe wondered what she was thinking. She normally reacted swiftly to bad news. Tina remained calm but he knew a storm was coming. He had seen the hurt-storm many times over their road troubles. The anger storm was rare. He had only weathered that a few times, like New Year's Eve. He suspected he'd be getting both, but which one first?

She stood up, took two steps, and turned to him.

"That's probably the second worst possible date. Leaving the day of the opening being the worst, How did you let this happen Joe?" she let out an 'oomph' type exhale. The next part was louder and more emotional.

"You promised, Joe! You promised to be here for me when I need it and I need you there when I open. I'm counting on you. You know this. How could you break that promise?" She paced around three sides of the bed. "Don't answer that question because I know what I'm going to get; the bullshit story of Sheila and the contract and the 125 shows and you trying to fight them and now you're fucked and so am I." She wasn't screaming, but she was emotional.