Along Came A Spider Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I love it." Cindy said. "So when are we leaving?"

"We are not." I said. "You are going to stay here, hold down the fort for me, and look after my children... your cousins... if you don't mind. Don't worry, I'll have help up there.. even though they don't realize it yet."

Cindy thought about it, then said, "Oh, the FBI." She thought about it some more. "Ahhhh, the gunrunning. Something to do with that?"

"Your insight serves you well, O! Daughter of Psychic Eckhart." I replied. "But I'm going to leave that to them... for me... it's about cleaning out some trash and exacting some serious Justice..."

I thought about it and said "Well, not Justice... Revenge..."

A moment later, Teresa Croyle and Todd Burke appeared with a pitcher of beer. "Hi guys." Teresa said. "Mind if we join you?"

Part 5 - Rotten Apples

"Ah, that's good bourbon." said Sheriff Spaulding as he sat behind his desk in his office, his feet propped up on the desk. His red hair, darker than the Iron Crowbar's titian hair, seemed to have a 'flaming' quality to it in the light of the bulb above him.

"Yes, it is." said Mitchell T. Baker, IV, the president of the Fillmore Bank and Trust, the only bank in the county. Baker was originally from North Carolina, having worked in the Big Banks there, and carefully groomed and schooled by their leadership. He was tall, with a full head of now-graying black hair, a chiseled face with a square jaw. He'd been brought to lead the Fillmore Bank and Trust after the previous owners of the small bank had been 'encouraged' to sell to Baker's financial group. "Hamilton, do you like bourbon?"

"This is good, but I'm a Scotch drinker myself." said Hamilton Phillips, Esq., who was more elderly. He was the lead partner of Grove & Partners, P.C., the law firm that had bought out all competition, including Douglass Troy's practice not too long before Troy had died. "And right now, it doesn't really matter what it is, as long as there is alcohol in it."

"Well," said Baker, "it won't be much longer."

"No, it won't be." said Sheriff Spaulding. "Maybe even just days. 'Operation Apple Grove' is set and ready to be implemented. I'm just waiting for the word. We're going to have to move soon. One of those families we took it to the mattresses with were FBI informants. We have to strike quick, before they get time to implement counter-measures."

"Just let me know when." said Phillips. "I want to be a good distance from here when it happens. I'm not a man of violence; I'd just as soon let you and your people handle all that."

"You have nothing to worry about, Hamilton." said 'Mitt' Baker cheerfully. "Nothing is going to happen in Apple Grove itself."

"That's right." said Spaulding. "And me and my boys will be hanging back here to make sure nothing does happen. My only question is, what other areas of the country are going to implement the plan, and when?"

"From what I've been told," said Baker, who was well-connected with the country's Financial Elites, "this is the first major operation. If it... er, when it goes well, we'll begin implementing it in other places, and fairly quickly."

"It's a good plan." said Spaulding. "It will work. After we have eradicated the nigger filth in this county, we'll begin setting up operations to move 'supplies' into neighboring areas." By 'supplies', Spaulding meant military-grade guns. "We'll also start stocking up on foodstuffs and other essentials for the time when shit hits the fan. I've even heard some rumors that FEMA might work with us to set up some camps, though I don't really want them in here, either. But we'll have a solid base. Once a few more are set up in various strategic locations around the Nation, we'll be in good position to expand outward."

"Yes, it'll be good when that happens." said Mitt Baker. "It's time the common people understand that we know better than them what is best for them. They call us the 'Elites'... and that is exactly what we are. We have 95% of all the money, the wealth, because we are the intelligent ones, the ones who know what to do and how to do it. If we didn't, and the common pukes out there did, then they'd have all the money."

"All the money in the world won't matter when the blacks began rioting." said Phillips. "Some Government agencies are actually behind some of these incidents we've seen the last few years. Stirring up chaos." Baker and Spaulding grinned at that.

"Hamilton," said Mitt Baker, "don't you know that the people controlling those rioting blacks are the same people controlling the white supremacists, and controlling the Government, as well? You realize of course, that it is our hands holding the puppet strings over all of them? We rule both political parties, and they know it. Our friends all over the world are implementing the same plans in their countries."

"Yep." said Spaulding laconically, making a carving into a wooden stick with a sharp hunting knife. "If it weren't for the Second Amendment, and so many of your so-called 'common men' having guns, your plans for the world would've been successful decades ago."

"Your plans, too, Spaulding." said Phillips.

"Harrumph." said Spaulding. "All I want is my county here. Once 'Operation Apple Grove' is successfully completed, I'll have full control. You can have the rest of the world, Mr. Baker, and I'll rule this corner of it for you."

"And friends like you are what we need." said Baker. "Your part in this is valuable, and we recognize it, and will reward it. You're at the center of your web here, and we have many Spiders like you, all across the country, ready to help us with our noble goal of serving the People by taking care of them as they cannot take care of themselves."

"And all will be right with the world." said Spaulding sarcastically, as he seemingly lazily carved his stick, "Of course, there are only three things wrong with this world now: niggers, common people with guns, and dogs. Once we eradicate all three, I'll be a happy man."

"Why do you hate dogs so much?" asked Phillips.

"The man we're working with, consulting with, who is advising us on setting up our nation-wide operations... you know, the real Spider at the center of all webs..." said Spaulding, "... he explained it to me once. He said that dogs are filth, represent filth. The Muslims hate dogs, too, and rightly so. He said that people who love filthy dogs are inferior, and weak in their hearts. They are food for the strong, and pawns for us to use at our whim, for our betterment. Show me a dog owner, and I will show you a piece of dog shit."

Mitt Baker and Sheriff Spaulding helped themselves to more bourbon, toasting to an end to all dogs. Phillips passed, citing indigestion. And it wasn't indigestion from age and liquor not mixing... he was sick to his stomach at what was going on, the violent aspects of it. He wanted nothing to do with it, but knew that he was also a pawn, and had to toe the line with Sheriff Spaulding... a man of temper, of violence, and of an insidiously evil mind...

Part 6 - Warning Flags

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the lovely redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Wednesday, June 8th. "It's official! The Reverend Robert Patterson, now head pastor of the Oldeeds Ministries, will include our Town on his twelve-city speaking tour! The event is set for Wednesday, June 22d! There will be a special service at 6:00pm in the 2000-seat auditorium of First Baptist Church, then a rally at University Stadium at 9:00pm!"

"Oh, that will be so great!" squealed Detective Joanne Cummings Warner. "I can't wait to hear Rev. Patterson's inspiring message!"

Hoo boy, I thought to myself. "As long as he doesn't try to speak at the Fairgrounds." I replied.

"Stoppit." said Cindy, knowing what my underlying message there was.

"Okay, okay." I said. "Joanne, better put in for leave time now... or you might end up on security duty."

"Oh, put me on his personal security detail, if you're asked to have one." Joanne replied. "I'll get to hear him anyway." I could not argue with that logic.

"And in other news," said Bettina as we were talking, "a formal lawsuit was filed by the office of State Senator Katherine Woodburn, on behalf of several Members of the Legislature, against the State Office of Ethics and Review, and specifically SBI Inspector General Brittany Maxwell. Senator Woodburn charges that she and others have presented evidence of corruption by Town & County Police Commander Donald Troy, and that Inspector Maxwell is refusing to investigate Commander Troy and indeed is stonewalling on his behalf.

Bettina continued: "The State OER has filed a counter-claim to the suit, stating that no evidence has been presented to their office concerning Commander Troy, and that Senator Woodburn is attempting to make political points to counter the corruption of the SBI's Narcotics Task Force. As you know, SBI Agent Leonard Sharples is in custody and awaits trial on charges of murder as well as the attempted murder of Commander Troy."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Priya Ajmani, Five Alive News in the Morning!" Priya said at 8:00am as Cindy and I watched in my office. Priya was made up, her hair just so, her lipstick glossy, and a smile molded onto her pretty face as she made her report.

"State Senator Katherine Woodburn has filed a lawsuit against the State Office of Ethics and Review, citing that SBI Inspector General Britt Maxwell is refusing to investigate Town & County Police Commander Donald Troy despite clear evidence of corruption on the part of Commander Troy. Specific charges include physically assaulting suspects in his custody with his crowbar, intimidating suspects and witnesses and other citizens, acting outside his jurisdiction on criminal cases, physically assaulting fellow police officers, graft, taking bribes and unauthorized perks, and withholding evidence from the SBI in the course of their lawful investigations. The State OER has responded to the lawsuit with a counterclaim."

Elaborating no further on that side of the story, Priya then said "Inspector Maxwell was once the University Campus Police Captain, and worked closely with Commander Troy during that time. She was appointed to her position by Governor Val Jared, who is a close friend of both Commander Troy and his former Chief, Antonio Griswold. Jared is running for Governor against SBI Director Jack Lewis, whom Commander Troy has openly and heavily criticized in the past."

Priya went on, obviously enjoying herself as she said: "Lieutenant Frank Soltis of the SBI's Office of Ethics and Review worked on the same team in the Midtown Police Department with now-TCPD Chief Sean Moynahan as well as Nextdoor County Lieutenant Molly Ross Evans. Evans is the sister of Town & County Police Captain Cindy Ross, who is Commander Troy's formal partner in the TCPD. We have to wonder if these close personal friendships are the real reason that Inspector Maxwell refuses to investigate these serious charges...."

"Damn, one hell of a hatchet job." Cindy said.

Turning on my anti-bugging device, I said "I am honestly surprised Priya didn't tell them that Molly's children were fathered by me, and that you and I both have had sexual relationships with Britt Maxwell."

"Why are they gunning for you so hard?" Cindy asked. "I know they hate you immeasurably, but still..." After a pause, she asked "Do you think you're hurting Lewis's chances in the polls a lot more than we realize?"


"We can only hope so." I said. "But I've been anticipating an attack of this nature, upon my reputation, by the Consultant of Crime for some time. The Spider is now weaving his web to ensnare me. And as you know, the time of his reckoning draws near."

I continued: "It's the worst possible timing for me, though. I have to respond to this just when I might have to go out of Town-------"

I stopped dead in my tracks as it hit me like a freight train roaring out of the High Sierras. "Oh my God." I whispered.

"What?" asked Cindy, peering hard at me, and I could feel her mind trying to reach into mine. "The Consultant is about to do something?"

"No..." I said. "Something else." Gathering my wits, I said "Okay, Captain, let's get to work. Go get ready for the 'Detective Fiction' meeting while I send some emails." Cindy looked puzzled and a bit peeved, but she did what I wanted her to do: she left the office.

Once alone, I took out my most valuable of burner phones and fired it up. I sent a text that said "Check your sources. Within five days?"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Look, Don," said Chief Moynahan, as we sat in his office at 8:30am. Sheriff Allgood was also in the office, and sitting in the chair next to mine. "This lawsuit by Woodburn is very serious for you. You saw what some politically corrupt people tried to do to me and to Frank Soltis down in Midtown. Katherine Woodburn is doing the same to you, and she's using the Media as her bullhorn."

"Yes sir, I know." I said. "It's a hatchet job, pure and simple. And I believe it's to help Jack Lewis politically. I'm not counting on people to know that and to not believe the lies the Media are telling them, so we'll have to counter it."

"I've learned enough from you, Don," said Daniel Allgood, "to know a coordinated attack when I see one. I've had three Members of the Council call me this morning already, and verbally beat me about the head and shoulders as if it were the Police Boxing Matches of politics. They are outright demanding I suspend you."

"Three guesses who they are." said Moynahan. "They woke me up this morning, as well."

"Kelly Carnes, Thomas P. Cook," I said, "and... well, it could be Malinda Adams or Pastor Westboro."

"Westboro." said the Sheriff. "He says he's concerned that you are not setting a good example for his Flock, and the children of his church in particular."

"The children." I muttered. "That's always their mantra, isn't it?" I then said "Sorry, I digressed."

Sheriff Allgood said "I also got a call from Councilman Reginald B.F. Lewis. He supports you, but he is very concerned about all this. He says that your personal integrity is respected among his people, and that if you were to be found to be corrupt, it would have a negative impact upon relations between Blacks and the Police."

"So, what are you going to do, Mr. Crowbar?" asked the Chief.

"First, I'll make a statement that the Press will not read on the air." I said. "Then, I'll offer Bettina an exclusive interview, as long as it's broadcast live. Then ..."

I broke off, looking around. "Er, where is our Press Relations Officer, Lt. Peterson?"

"In his office." said the Chief. "And still in my doghouse. I'll be dictating terms to him through Commander Harlow. Just let me know what you want him to do, and to set up."

"I'll set up the Bettina interview myself." I said. "Now... is there any possible way I can co-opt KSTD, and break them to my fist, to use a little falconry lingo, there..." I began thinking...

Part 7 - Dog Days

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the lovely redheaded MILF reporter at 7:00am, Thursday June 9th, standing outside Police Headquarters. She was looking hot today, dressed in a clingy red and white dress with a red jacket, and red pumps. I knew this because I was standing next to her.

"Channel Two News is bringing you an exclusive interview with Police Commander Donald Troy, who has been accused of corruption by State Senator Katherine Woodburn." She turned to me, having to look up as I was much taller than her. The camera panned out to include us both. "Commander, what is your response to the Senator's charges?"

"As you know, Bettina," I said, looking down at her and not at the camera (the correct thing to do), "there are a lot of fireworks going on in political circles, especially at the State level, and I'm not surprised some politicians would try to drag me into the mud with them. I'll also say that there were no specific charges leveled against me, and that any past issues have had Boards of Inquiry investigating them. The results of these Boards of Inquiry are a matter of the Public Record, and you or any Citizen can see them."

"So you are denying guilt of the charges Senator Woodburn has accused you of?" asked Bettina.

"Again, Bettina," I said, "the First District State Senator has not made any specific allegations to be investigated, much less for me to deny. If she would care to state specifics, I'll have a response at that time."

"If there's nothing wrong here, Commander," said Bettina, "why not have Inspector Maxwell investigate?"

"Again, Bettina, investigate what?" I countered. "If someone thinks I've done something wrong, state the specific allegation, and it'll be addressed. Again, this is just political posturing by a political party whose candidate for Governor is the Director of the SBI, and is embarrassed that one of his SBI Agents is now in jail and awaiting trial for trying to murder me."

"Allegedly trying------" Bettina started, doing the legal thing. I was having none of it.

"Bettina, it was not 'allegedly' for me when a bullet was whizzing by my head." I said.

"Do you have any idea why Agent Sharples tried to kill you, Commander?" Bettina asked. This question was off-script, but I rolled with it.

"I have no comment on that." I said. "All of that will come out in his trial, I would think. I'll have to refer you to the D.A.'s Office, for any further comment on that case."

"Speaking of that," said Bettina, again off-script, "what do you think of the race for District Attorney?"

"I know that I've worked with both of them, and I'll be working with the winner of that race going forward." I said. Bettina was not getting any more out of me, so she wrapped it up.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Apple Grove, 10:25am, Thursday, June 9th.

Eight-year-old Timmy Owens was sitting on the front porch of his house, playing with his short-haired terrier Skippy. Timmy's father was the pharmacist at Apple Grove Pharmacy, the town's only apothecary.

Skippy was fetching a small rubber ball and bringing it back to Timmy when a car pulled up in front. It was the Sheriff's car. He was technically out of jurisdiction, as this was inside Apple Grove, but no Apple Grove Police Officer nor any citizen dared make a complaint; they might well endure a beating, or be forced to watch the rape of their spouse (of either gender).

"Boy, your dog is supposed to be leashed." snarled Sheriff Spaulding, walking up the walkway towards the porch.

"He ain't hurtin' nothin'." said Timmy. "And he's in the yard."

"You talking back to me, boy?" growled the Sheriff. "I'll take that dog to the pound, and they'll put him in the gas chamber." Just then, Skippy came up to the Sheriff and sniffed around him, then barked.

"Fucking little shit." snarled the Sheriff. He kicked at Skippy. Skippy dodged the blow, and started barking angrily, snapping at Spaulding's leg.

"You bastard!" snarled Spaulding. He kicked again, this time catching Skippy hard. The dog flew several feet and landed hard on his side, yelping loudly in pain.

"Skippy!" cried out Timmy, running up to help his dog.

"Get away from him." shouted Spaulding as he drew his gun. He aimed at Skippy and fired. Skippy yelped, shivered, and was still.

"Skippy!" yelled Timmy, going to Skippy. "Skippy! No!" He began crying as he held his dead dog's head.

By now several people were coming out of their homes, alerted by the gunfire.

"Everyone, get back in your homes, or I swear to God I'll arrest every one of you!" shouted Spaulding. Timmy's mother had come to the door as well.

"Get your kid back in the house, bitch!" said Spaulding.

"You bastard!" yelled the eight year old boy. "You shot my dog!" Timmy rushed the Sheriff, hitting and kicking his legs. Spaulding raised his hand up and slapped Timmy hard on the side of the head. The child went sprawling.