Altering the Plans Ch. 01

Story Info
Maya moves, but things don't go as planned.
9.7k words
4.76
11.9k
29

Part 1 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/04/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PennLady
PennLady
1,732 Followers

Hi. Hope you enjoy this story.

Content warning: this story features a main character who leaves an abusive relationship, and whose ex engages in harassment post breakup. I would characterize it in terms of storytelling as "mild", although I realize that no abuse is mild or justified.

Chapter 1

"Okay, I think that's it." Maya Stone looked around her now-bare bedroom in the apartment she shared with her cousin, Allie Hudson. "I think I'm ready to go. All my stuff's in the car, so I guess I just need to leave." It was harder than she'd thought it would be.

"I can't believe you're moving," said Allie. She blew her blond bangs out of her eyes. "My little cousin, off to the big city, going to seek her fortune."

Maya laughed and brushed her own dark brown hair back from her face. "I'm not sure it'll be a fortune, but it's time. And it's not like you're just sitting here. You're leaving for grad school in a couple of weeks."

"I know, I know." Allie shook her head. "I can't believe that's happening either. God, I'll be older than everyone else."

"Yes, you'll be getting the senior discount," Maya teased and laughed when Allie stuck her tongue out in reply. "Come on. You won't be that much older. Lots of people go to grad school when they're older. Or even undergrad."

"I know. It's just weird. I haven't been to a class in years." Allie shook her head as they walked out to the living room. "The idea of sitting at a desk, listening to a lecture; ugh, it's bizarre."

"Oh, god, I am so excited," said Maya. "I'll miss you, and Gabe, but I really want this, Allie. More than I've wanted anything in a long time." She paused. "I'm tremendously nervous but I'm going anyway."

"I hope the job works out," said Allie, "but if not, I'm sure you'll find something. I'm a little worried about you moving in with Dean, though."

"Why?" Maya asked. Dean Chalfont was her boyfriend, and they'd been together for about a year.

"Because to be completely honest, I haven't liked what you've told me about him," said Allie. "Or what I've seen, especially lately. Like when we went to lunch and he ranted about that person at work that gave him the wrong file or whatever. He went on way too long about that."

"He'd had a bad day," Maya said. "You know, one of those work days where things just pile up."

"I get that, and I've had those, and he has my sympathy for it. But then he took it out on you, and the server." Allie shook her head. "I don't trust people who mistreat service workers."

"He shouldn't have done that," Maya acknowledged. "I apologized to the server and left her a big tip."

"That's great, Maya, but he should have been the one to do it. And I'm less concerned about that than I am how he treated you."

"He just had a bad day, Allie. I was teasing, and he wasn't in the mood." Maya said. She knew Allie was right, but it was reflex to defend Dean.

"That's no excuse. Look, I know I'm biased, but I'm worried one day he'll take his bad day out on you." Allie gave Maya a hug. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to bring you down when I know how excited you are. You know I'm here if you need me, okay?"

"Thanks, Allie." Maya returned the hug. She couldn't be mad at her cousin. Not when she'd had similar thoughts herself.

When Maya had begun working on her relocation plans, she had expected Dean would suggest she stay with him. Not necessarily on a permanent basis, but at least as a friend might offer. He hadn't, and so Maya had brought it up herself. He had agreed, albeit with less enthusiasm than she'd have hoped, and he'd been clear that didn't want her "taking over" any part of the house. It wasn't the most encouraging start.

Never mind, she told herself. Get there, get settled, and then you can adapt.

"I wish I could go with you," said Allie, "but I have to work tonight and I couldn't make it back in time."

"It's fine." Maya shook her head.

"Dean should be helping you," Allie said with a pointed look.

"He couldn't get off work," said Maya. She'd opted to move during the week, aiming to have the weekend to unpack and get settled, hopefully with Dean's help, which she didn't think was too likely.

"You've been planning this for weeks, Maya. I think he could have managed half a day."

"It's fine. I don't have that much stuff. No furniture or anything. Just clothes and my sewing machine. It all fit in the rental car. I don't need help with that."

Allie made a frustrated sound. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I know I said I'd leave it alone, but I can't help it. I'm worried."

"I appreciate it, Allie, I really do. I know you care. But I'll be fine. I'll text you later to let you know I got in." Maya's ring tone floated up from the table where she'd left her phone. She picked it up. "Hi, Mom."

"Hello," said Denise Barrett.

"Allie's here, I've put you on speaker." Maya put the phone on the table.

"Hi, Aunt Denise," Allie said.

"Hello, Allie."

"Mom, where are you?" asked Maya. "It's really noisy."

"We're at the airport."

"The airport? What are you doing there?"

"Don't be silly, Maya. Roger and I are moving. I'm sure I told you."

Maya glanced at Allie, who shook her head. "Mom, you never told me you were moving. Where to?"

"North Carolina. Roger's company is opening a new branch there," said Denise. Roger Barrett, Denise's husband and Maya's stepfather, had several offices for his law firm. Maya wondered if Landon, her stepbrother, was moving as well. She was sure he at least knew about the move.

Maya dropped onto the couch, feeling slightly sick. "You're moving to a completely different state, and you didn't think to tell me before now?"

"Does it matter?" asked her mother. "You didn't have anything left at the house. You didn't even live there that long."

"Call me crazy, I like to know where my mother will be living," said Maya. "Anyway, I guess it's the day for it. I'm moving, too."

"Where? And why?"

"To Chicago and because I want to. Because I have a lead on a job at a dressmaker's shop and I want to try it."

"Oh, Maya." Her mother tsked. "You know that will never work."

"Thanks for the encouragement, Mom."

"Be serious, Maya. I don't know why I bother; there never was any changing your mind when you were set on something. I guess you'll just have to learn from experience."

"Don't see why, I haven't yet," Maya muttered.

Allie stifled a laugh and squeezed Maya's hand.

"What's that? Maya, I have to go. It's time to board the flight." Denise ended the call without even a good-bye.

"Well," said Maya, "I'm glad we avoided the tearful farewell scene."

"That was crazy," said Allie. She gave Maya a sympathetic look. "I had no idea, you know that."

"I know you didn't." Maya sighed. "I bet Landon knew. I wouldn't be surprised if he helped them look for houses. Maybe he's moving, too. I'm sure Roger would find a job for his own son in his firm."

"You okay?"

Maya shrugged. "Yeah, I'm fine. It's fine. She's not interested in me. She hasn't been since Roger, at least, and that's that. I don't know why I keep thinking she might be."

"Put it out of your head for now," said Allie. She squeezed Maya's hand in hers. "Forget all of it. You are about to set out on a new adventure. You should be happy and excited, like I am for you. If she's not, it's her loss."

"Thanks, Allie." Maya hugged her cousin. "I guess I should go, and get all these plans in motion."

Two weeks later

Maya sat nursing a coffee in Dean's kitchen, wondering what to do next. Her plans had crumbled.

The deadbolt clicked as Dean unlocked the door and came in. He tossed his jacket towards a chair, missed, and left it on the floor where it fell.

"Hi," said Maya, but nothing else. It was safer that way. She'd learned quickly; when Dean came in without speaking, he'd had one of his "long days."

"What's wrong with you?" he asked. He didn't come give her a kiss, or even a pat on the shoulder, not that she expected he would. Maybe early on in their relationship he would have, but those days seemed long ago. He'd changed, and she'd tried to adjust to it, but now she knew she'd never be able to keep up, and she didn't want to.

Another part of the plan that was coming apart, she thought.

She sighed and shrugged. "The job at the dress shop fell through."

"And you're surprised?" Dean shook his head. "I knew that was pretty shaky. Honestly, Maya, that's not a good way to make a living. Pick that up." He waved at the jacket on the floor. "I'm going to get a beer."

"Really? That's all you have to say?" She looked up at him as leaned against the doorjamb with the bottle. "Not even 'I'm sorry' or 'That's too bad?'"

"Jesus, Maya, don't whine. I've had a long day and I'm tired. Working in the mayor's office is actual work, you know. Not like your arts and crafts. I'm sorry if I'm not Mister Sensitive on cue."

"I don't think a little sympathy is too much to ask," she said, almost to herself.

"Look, you tried, it didn't work. That sucks, so you'll have to do something else. It's not rocket science." Dean glanced around the kitchen. "You didn't even make dinner?"

"No," Maya said shortly, "I did not make dinner. I didn't feel like it. In case you missed it, I am not having the best day."

"Fine. I'm going to change and go meet the guys."

"I thought you were tired," Maya said.

He glared and in a move that took her off guard, he slammed the bottle down on the table, grabbed her by the shoulders and dragged her to standing. "Don't start. Just because you lost a stupid job doesn't mean you have to drag me down with you. Fuck it. I'm changing and I'm going out and you can sit here and sulk if you want." He pushed her back down in the chair and stalked out.

Shivering a little, Maya stared blankly ahead as her coffee grew cold, listening to Dean moving around upstairs. He clomped down the stairs and slammed the door on his way out.

She had to leave.

Over the last couple of weeks, she'd been forced to confront what Allie had said. Dean had become not a different person since she'd moved in, but more of the person she had started to suspect he was. The person who was rude to servers, who was only nice to her when it suited him, and who made her feel she had to adjust her behavior due to his temper. It wasn't a good situation.

This was the first time he'd gotten physical with her, but she was sure it wouldn't be the last.

Still, she was hesitant to break it off when she had just uprooted herself and had nowhere to go. She'd just have to be careful for a little while.

Idiot, she thought to herself. If this happened to Allie, you'd tell her to leave right now and never look back.

However, Allie was not the one who would then face the prospect of finding somewhere to live in a city she wasn't familiar with. Maya decided to give herself a night to indulge in a little self-pity, but that was all.

After half an hour, she'd had all the self-pity she could stand, and called Allie. Her cousin was adamant that Maya get out as soon as possible, noting what Maya herself said thought earlier: that if this happened to someone else, she'd advise them to leave immediately.

"Maya, you can't give this a chance to get worse," Allie said. "If you need help, you know Gabe and I will help you, or your dad."

"I know, I know." Maya took a deep breath. "And I appreciate it. I just can't stand feeling like I've failed in so many areas so quickly. And I didn't—I didn't plan for this."

"You haven't failed anything," said Allie. "You tried, and it didn't work, and I'm sorry, but that doesn't mean you failed. Now, here's your plan, okay? You pack your stuff, and you call a cab, and you go to a hotel. Let me know when you get there."

"I'll go in the morning," said Maya.

"You should go now," Allie said.

"Maybe," said Maya. "But I feel like I need a minute. I'll get it together tonight, like you said, and I can go after he leaves in the morning."

"Maya, I don't think you should."

"I'll be okay," said Maya. "He won't be home until late, and he'll probably be drunk. Oddly, he's nicer when he's drunk. I'll sleep in the guest room. I'll tell him in the morning, and then I'll leave. He'll probably be glad to see me go; he didn't really want me to come live here anyway."

"I'm not crazy over that," said Allie, "but it's up to you. Promise me you'll call when you're out, okay? Please."

"I will, Allie, and thanks."

After the call, Maya did as she'd promised her cousin. She packed up her sewing machine, and made sure she had her computer. Before she could get to her clothes, to her surprise, Dean came home.

He was drunk, but as she'd told Allie, he was nicer than when he was sober. He didn't mention what had happened earlier, and Maya didn't bring it up.

"I'm going to play some video games and go to bed," Dean said.

"That's fine. I'm going to go to bed myself. I'll sleep in the guest room. I feel like I'm coming down with a cold or something and I don't want you to get it," she said.

"Okay." Dean shrugged. When he didn't even ask if she was all right, Maya knew she was right to go.

Upstairs, Maya grabbed a few things and stowed them in her suitcase, afraid that if she did more, Dean would notice. He might be mellower now, but she didn't want to risk him getting angry. She'd get the rest tomorrow.

The next morning, Saturday, Dean was in a relaxed mood. Part of her was pleased, but she didn't trust it.

"What say we go downtown and take a walk?" Dean said. "I wanted to check out a couple of places and was thinking of getting a new phone."

"Oh. That would be nice," Maya said. This could work in her favor, she thought. Out in public, with Dean in a good mood, it seemed like the best time to say they should break up.

It was harder to say that than she thought. There was no conversational opening for it, and broaching it out of the blue felt impossible. Still, she knew she had to do it.

"I've got an idea," Dean said as they walked down the street.

"What's that?" she asked.

"We should get tattoos," he said with a grin. "I was talking to Pat last night, he and his girlfriend did it. In fact, that's the shop up there. I figured I'd surprise you."

"But I don't—" Maya began.

"Oh, come on," he said. "It'll be fun and it won't take long."

"Dean, I don't want a tattoo." Her heart started racing.

"For god's sake, Maya." He rolled his eyes. "Don't be stupid. I want to do this, and here we are, so let's go."

Apprehensive, she followed him into the store.

x-x-x-x-x-x

"Thanks for coming to Chandler Designs," said Krista Chandler as she handed the customer a receipt. "We'll see you again in three weeks? Does that work for you?"

"Sure," said the guy, a twenty-something named Jake. He was in the second stage of an elaborate tattoo on his back.

Krista gave him a time for his next appointment, reminded him to take care, and he nodded and left the store.

"I booked you a two o'clock tomorrow, Toby," Krista said as she tapped the keyboard on the front counter.

"Thanks, Kris."

"It's a new customer, but they've got some ideas. Sounds like they've done this before. Might be a consult more than anything."

"Good." Toby didn't mind working with new customers, but preferred it when they did at least a little research and put some thought into the idea. As his sister and co-worker, Krista knew his habits well and rarely gave him a newbie.

Toby stood and stretched. He'd just finished an hour-long session with Jake and needed to move around after so long bent over the chair. He shook out his arms and straightened his work area, then pulled out his painting sketchbook and opened to a blank page. He kept one book for tattoo design ideas, and another for the paintings he did at home. He hadn't had a ton of inspiration for the latter lately, but he kept at it, never knowing when he might find an idea.

At the sound of the door chime, Toby looked up as a couple entered the store. Krista moved to greet them. She was a far better fit for that part of the job than he was.

Krista had a routine: the door would chime, she'd look up and smile at whoever it was, say hello and how are you today, establishing a rapport before moving on to discussing tattoos. She treated everyone the same whether they were a timid first-timer, a person looking for more information, or a senior citizen with a bucket list. Given that the shop was located near a college campus, it paid to have someone who was good with people.

This time, Krista made no effort to be chatty. As the couple approached, with the woman hanging back, Krista withheld her customary smile and crossed her arms over her chest. Not a great sign, but Toby had learned to trust his sister's instincts when it came to people.

Toby sized up the newcomers. The guy was around five-ten, with a stocky but soft build and an arrogant air. The woman with him was maybe five foot three, with dark hair and big eyes that looked apprehensive. Toby didn't know what the situation was, but he didn't like it.

He liked her, though. He liked the way her jeans hugged her legs, and the way her shirt fit over her chest, the way her long jacket brushed her hips. Even more, he'd like to see what her body was like under all of that.

Mostly, he thought, it was her eyes. They were a soft brown and he wanted to see the fear gone from them. Jesus, he scolded himself, what is wrong with you? You don't even know her name.

"Can I help you?" Krista asked, bypassing any small talk.

The guy smiled. "Hi. I'm Dean Chalfont, and this is my girlfriend." He gestured at the woman next to him. "We're here for tattoos. Something matching, for the two of us."

"Not me," said the woman.

"What are you talking about?" The guy's head snapped around and his good nature evaporated. "I told you I wanted to do this, Maya."

"I don't care. I'm not getting one." Maya met his glare and didn't back down, even though it looked like it was an effort.

The guy flushed and darted his eyes to Krista and then back to his girlfriend. His expression was dark, and Toby didn't like it.

"Don't embarrass me here, Maya. I said we're doing it, and we are." He turned to Krista, smile back in place as though he'd glued it on. "I'd like to see some designs."

"No," Krista said.

"No?" Dean looked confused. "Excuse me, I am a customer. You have to serve me."

Toby came over to stand near his sister, although he didn't say anything. She was more than capable of handling this herself, and Toby wanted a front-row seat while she did. But he also wanted to back her up.

Maya darted a glance at him, then Krista, then her boyfriend, and seemed to shrink in on herself.

Toby felt guilty; he knew he had an imposing presence, with his height at six-foot-three and his arms full of ink, but he didn't aim to intimidate people. He certainly didn't want to intimidate the lovely woman in front of him. Lovely? When had she become lovely? He made himself focus on the situation at hand.

"We have the right to refuse service," Krista said. She tapped a sign they kept taped to the counter. "And I am definitely refusing service here."

"Do you know who I am?" the guy asked, and Toby noted that even Maya rolled her eyes at that.

"I don't care," said Krista. "We don't work with assholes, so you will need to go somewhere else."

"Look, I don't think you get it." The man leaned over the counter, but Krista didn't move back. "I work for the mayor's office. I know people, important people. My girlfriend and I want tattoos, and your place was recommended, and I want to see some designs."

Krista leaned into his personal space, startling the man into leaning back. "No," she said.

"Dean, come on." Toby saw that Maya was embarrassed. She shifted her weight and nodded towards the door. "There are other places you can go."

PennLady
PennLady
1,732 Followers