Altering the Plans Ch. 06

Story Info
Maya tries to handle things herself.
9.5k words
4.81
5.4k
7

Part 6 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/04/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PennLady
PennLady
1,733 Followers

Content warning: this story features a main character who leaves an abusive relationship, and whose ex engages in harassment post breakup. I would characterize it in terms of storytelling as "mild", although I realize that no abuse is mild or justified.

Chapter 6

"Pass the potatoes, please, Tobias," said Auntie Clara.

"Yes, ma'am." Toby moved the bowl closer to the older woman.

"This is delicious, Krista," said Auntie Delia. "Are you sure you can't be our personal chef?"

Krista laughed. "I think you'd get tired of my cooking pretty quickly."

"I wouldn't," said Jackson, reaching for seconds--or was it thirds?--on the beef roast.

"You could learn to cook," Lacey told him.

Jackson stared at her in shock. "Me? Cook? There is no way. You have me confused with someone else."

Everyone laughed and Jackson persisted. "I'm serious. You have no idea how lucky you all are that I don't cook. I would probably flatten a city block. Or at least burn down the house."

Toby chuckled at his friend and glanced at Maya next to him. She met his eyes and smiled, but he thought there was something behind it. They'd been spending a lot of time together since that night at the club, and most nights. Sometimes it was a little awkward, getting to know each other, but they were managing; he tried to tamp down his protective instincts, and she worked to share her thoughts with him, instead of trying to manage any concerns by herself.

As he learned to read her, he noticed that there were times she was pensive, and he didn't know why. If he asked, she brushed it off as being tired, and he couldn't argue. She was working on the dresses for Clara and Delia, working her shift at the coffee shop, and a couple of the queens at the club had also asked for her sewing services. Maya had also said she was thinking something over and would talk to him about it, but hadn't yet, which made him a combination of curious and worried.

Then there was her stepbrother. Toby wasn't sure if Landon was? cause of her mood, but he couldn't dismiss the timing. Maya was working on building a relationship with Landon, who had even joined them for tonight's dinner. Toby hoped she was successful, but feared she was setting herself up to be hurt.

"So, Landon, you're Maya's stepbrother?" Auntie Clara asked him.

"Yes, ma'am," Landon said with a nod. He'd been quiet for most of the meal, talking mostly to Maya. Clara and Delia were trying to draw him out as they had with Maya, but he was even more reserved than she'd been.

Landon seemed different since their first meeting, so Toby was withholding judgment. Landon had apologized again to both Toby and Krista, and Toby had heard him apologize to Maya at least twice, so it appeared the man felt genuinely bad about what he'd done. As well he should, Toby thought.

Maya's phone chirped. She glanced down, bit her lip, then silenced the device. Toby didn't like the look on her face.

"Everything okay?" he asked quietly.

"Yeah, fine." She gave a short nod.

Toby could tell she wasn't anywhere near fine, but didn't contradict her. He took her hand in one of his, hoping to provide a little support that way.

"What do you do, Landon?" It was Delia's turn.

"Right now, I'm a bartender at the Blue Dahlia. By trade, or at least degree, I'm a lawyer, but I try to ignore that," he said.

"Bartender's not a bad job," said Delia. "Hard to find a good one."

"Mm-hmm," agreed Clara. "Remember when I tried it? I think I spilled more on the floor than I got into the glasses."

"That sounds about right," said Delia, making everyone laugh.

"I like working with people," said Landon. "I know this probably won't be what I do for the rest of my life, but it's good for now."

"You just need some time," said Delia. "And you should take it if you can."

"At least I don't have to hear lawyer jokes all the time," Landon said. "That's kind of a break."

Clara shook a gentle finger at him. "There is nothing wrong with being a lawyer. My father was a lawyer. There are good ones and bad ones, just like any other profession. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

"That's right." Delia covered Clara's hand with her own. "Her father helped us a lot, fought for us. Lot of people didn't want to rent to us. Black? Forget it. Black and gay? No way." Delia shook her head and Clara rubbed her shoulder.

"Anyway." Clara cleared her throat. "That's just to say there's nothing wrong with being a lawyer, if that's what you want. If it's not, then you should find what it is, and working at a bar is nothing to be ashamed of in the meantime."

"Thank you, both of you," said Landon.

Clara and Delia both worked to lighten the conversation after that, and everyone laughed when Jackson begged for dessert. There was cake this time instead of pie, but Jackson wasn't complaining.

Toby noticed that Maya only picked at her slice of strawberry cake. Something was definitely off; that was her favorite.

He put a hand on her shoulder. "Hey, what's wrong?" When she didn't respond, he squeezed gently. "Maya."

She jerked up. "What? I'm sorry."

"What's wrong?" He tried to keep the edge out of his voice and almost did. At least she no longer flinched.

"Nothing. I'm just tired, I guess."

"Maya."

"Later, okay?" She smiled and patted his hand. "Not here."

"All right." There would damn well be a later for whatever this was.

After the plates were cleared, Maya stood up. "Auntie Clara, Auntie Delia, are you ready to go downstairs? Let's work on those dresses."

"Oh, yes!" Clara stood and clapped her hands. "I am so excited!"

"She is," Delia confirmed. "She hasn't talked about anything else all day."

"Hush, you're excited too." Clara poked her in the side. "You just like to play it all cool."

"We're all going downstairs," said Krista. She gave pointed looks to the men, including Landon. "You guys can have your brandy and pipes or whatever, but after you do the dishes. Come on, ladies."

Toby, Jackson and Landon watched them go. An awkward silence fell for a few minutes, then Jackson broke it, as Toby had known he would.

"Come on, guys. The quicker we start, the quicker we're done." He started towards the kitchen, then turned around. "I'm warning you guys. If you don't help, I'll tell Krista and Lacey and then may god have mercy on your souls."

Both Toby and Landon laughed.

"You should be an expert at this, right?" Toby asked him.

"I have my dishwashing experience," Landon said, "and let me tell you, working the bar is a lot easier. People who bus tables and wash dishes deserve more credit than they get."

There was a burst of noise from the basement, something loud and startling, replaced by exclamations and some laughter.

"Dare I ask?" said Landon.

"My guess is that someone turned on Maya's music and Clara and Delia got an earful," said Toby.

"She still listens to all that metal?"

Toby glanced at him, surprised he even knew about Maya's musical taste. "Yeah."

Landon shook his head and huffed out a small laugh. "Man, the first time my dad heard that in the house, he about went nuts. And her mom, Christ, I've never seen anyone clutch their pearls so hard. You would have thought Maya was conducting a human sacrifice in her bedroom."

"Your parents sound kind of, I don't know, old-fashioned?" Toby said, casting about for the right word. Or at least a non-offensive one.

"Something like that." Landon nodded. "Traditional, for sure, in a lot of ways. I was supposed to be the hot-shot lawyer. I don't know what they wanted for Maya." He sighed. "Actually I don't think they gave it any thought. I hate to say it, but Maya never seemed to be a priority for them. And I didn't say anything."

"You were kids," Toby said as they stood and started to the kitchen.

"Yeah, for a bit. That's not an excuse after a while, though."

Toby nodded, not sure what to say. Landon wasn't the asshole he'd thought, it looked like.

"Okay. Assembly line," said Jackson as the other two entered the kitchen. "Wash, dry, put away. We can do rock, paper, scissors, or arm wrestle, or whatever to decide."

"How about I wash?" said Landon, "since I don't know where anything goes."

"I'll dry," said Toby.

"I don't know where anything goes, either," said Jackson, "but what the hell."

The men talked as they worked, the conversation gradually getting easier. It turned out that Landon, like Jackson and Toby, was a basketball fan. They talked about the current season and who was in or out, and Landon agreed to join them at the court sometime.

When Jackson started to put the plates on top of the fridge, Toby intervened and switched jobs. He didn't know where everything went, but he knew better than Jackson, and at least he knew dishes went in a cabinet. He was pretty sure he got the right one, but if not it still beat the top of the fridge.

"I think that deserves a beer," said Jackson. "Landon?"

"Sure, I wouldn't mind."

As Toby took his, he heard what Clara would call a ruckus in the living room. He glanced at Jackson and Landon, who both shrugged, and then they all went to see what it was about.

"Maya, why didn't you say something?" Krista asked. She paced while Lacey sat next to Maya with an arm around her shoulder.

Maya murmured something Toby couldn't hear.

"But you know we'll help you," Lacey said.

Again Maya said something too quietly before burying her face in her hands. Whatever was going on, Toby didn't like it.

"All right, enough." Delia stood up and shooed everyone back. "Give the woman some space. I know we all mean well but it won't help if we all pile on."

Toby went over and squatted down in front of her so they'd be at eye level. He took her hand and made a conscious effort to keep his tone even. "Maya, what is it?"

When Maya didn't say anything, Krista made a frustrated noise. "Maya, please."

"It's Dean," Maya said, her voice low.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"He--he's been stalking me." She met his eyes and he saw the wall of fear there and wished desperately he could break it down. "I don't know how but he keeps finding my number. I've changed phones twice since I broke up with him, and I blocked the number I knew he had. I even blocked his email. But he calls from numbers I don't know."

"Have you talked to him?" Toby asked.

Maya shook her head. "I don't answer numbers I don't recognize. He leaves messages, or sends texts. I save them and then block the numbers. I haven't spoken to him since the call I told you about, where he said he knew what I did. I've seen him--"

"You've seen him? Where?" Toby demanded.

Maya hunched her shoulders. "Around. I think he's followed me. I've seen him outside the coffee shop. Sometimes outside your shop."

"And you didn't say anything?" Toby felt his anger start building.

She shrugged. "What was there to say? He was standing there. He never did anything or said anything. But he just started calling and texting so often." Maya dropped her head in her hands. "I couldn't keep ahead of it."

Toby glanced up at Krista. "Did you know about this?"

"I knew about the first call," she said, "because I was there when it happened. I suggested Maya get a new phone when she got a lot of calls after that, I didn't know he was doing this."

"You should have told me."

Maya pushed at his shoulder. "I'm right here," she said, a tinge of anger in her voice. "It's not Krista's fault. If you have a problem with something I did, talk to me."

"All right. What did he say?" Toby tried to keep his anger down, but it was getting harder.

"He kept saying he knew what I did, and I'd be sorry. He started to threaten you, and Krista and Jackson. The shop."

"And you still didn't tell me?" he asked, both hurt and incredulous.

"I'm sorry, I should have, but I didn't know--I was scared," she said.

"We could have told the police," he said, his anger rising.

"Told them what?" she said, tears starting to fall. "My ex is being a dick? Do you know how hard it is to get the police to take things like that seriously, let alone take some kind of action? Plus he works for the city."

"They can't do anything if they don't know," Toby pointed out. "And if he's threatening me and my sister, I think we have a right to know."

"Okay. I'm sorry. I should have told you. Now you know."

"Jesus, Maya." He stood up and started pacing the room. "Why didn't you say something? Why didn't you let us help?"

"Toby," Krista began but he shook his head.

"No, this is crazy. This asshole is making threats and she doesn't tell me? Doesn't tell us?" Toby turned to Maya, who was staring at the floor. He hated to see her like this, but fury, and not a little fear for her safety, drove him on. "Were we supposed to wait until he broke a window? Injured a client? Why the fuck didn't you say something? Don't you trust me?"

That was the crux of it, he thought. Aside from everything else, he was hurt she hadn't confided this to him.

She shrank away from him and that hurt even more.

"Lay off, man," Landon said.

Pleased to have a target, Toby rounded on Landon. "What? Suddenly you care? You and your parents treated her like a goddamn pebble in your shoe for years and now you're going to be the big brother?"

"I'm trying to change things," Landon said, stepping up to him, "and why not start here. I thought you cared about her, and you're yelling like she's a little kid that broke your favorite toy. You asshole. Yes, I'll be the big brother, because god knows she needs someone on her side and so far you sure as hell seem like you're on your own side."

"Hey, we all need to cool off--" Jackson started to say.

"Not now, Jacks," Toby said, eyes still locked with Landon.

"Shut up! Just stop, everyone, please!" Maya said.

She stood and hugged herself, shaking her head when Krista and then Clara started to offer support. After a couple of tries, she spoke.

"Krista, Jackson, Lacey, I'm really sorry. I should have told you before, especially when Dean started making bigger threats."

"It's okay, Maya," said Krista.

Lacey added, "We just want to help."

"I know, and it's not okay, but thanks."

"So they get an apology?" Toby asked.

"Be quiet," she said sharply, and he was taken aback by her tone and expression. "I'm trying to get all this out, and all you want to do is yell. I've been scared, Toby. More fucking scared than I've been in my life and it's partly because no one has ever cared about me the way you all have. I have been way, way more scared about what he might do to you, not me, you--you moron."

Toby started to talk but Krista shook her head and he huffed out a breath and stayed quiet. Goddamn it.

"Do you know what he told me?" she asked, her voice tight and quiet.

"How would I?" he snapped.

"Fine." Maya stepped up and poked him in the chest. "He said he'd leave you alone if I broke up with you. He doesn't want me back, and god knows that will never happen, but he wanted to hurt me by threatening you. I have never been in that position, because no one has ever cared about me like you have. I have been sitting here, trying to figure out what to do, scared of answering my phone, or that I'll see him when I turn the corner, petrified that he'll throw a brick through your window or send the goddamn health inspector, or whatever else.

"And you know what? I am so fucking sick of being afraid," she said. "Dean's scaring me. I'm afraid to call the cops because Dean works for the fucking mayor. It all scares me, and I'm scared for you, and scared of your reaction and afraid of losing you, and I've had it. I can't take it."

Toby stared down at her, his anger simmering despite seeing that this had been difficult for her. "So, what then? What are you going to do about it? Cower in the corner?"

Maya looked stung, and then gathered herself. "I don't know yet, but I am sure as hell not putting up with this shit from you." She darted out of the house.

Toby stared after her, too shocked to move. It seemed everyone else was too, and a heavy silence settled over them all until Delia stood up. She clapped her hands and everyone jumped.

"All right. You and you--" she pointed at Landon and Krista "--go find Maya and make sure she's safe. Move it."

"Yes, ma'am," they both said and ran out.

"Lacey, baby, could you get us something to drink? Water would be fine," Delia said.

"Sure. Come on, Jackson, give me a hand." Lacey pulled him along with her.

"Tobias, you sit down," Delia said.

"Why? So I can think about what I've done?" He dropped into a chair.

"Watch yourself, young man," Clara said. "And yes."

At their severe and disappointed looks, he sighed. "You're right. I'm sorry, Auntie Delia."

"I know, and I know you're upset. Let's figure this out," said Delia.

Lacey returned with glasses and a pitcher of water. She filled while Jackson distributed. "I really wanted to bring out the whiskey," said Lacey, "but didn't think it was the time."

"You were always the smart one," Clara said with a smile.

"I don't feel so smart today," Lace said with a sigh. She sat at the table and Jackson took the seat next to her. "Dean came by the coffee shop a while ago. I never said anything."

Toby dropped his head back and stared at the ceiling. "Why does no one ever say anything?" he asked of no one in particular.

"What happened, Lacey?" Clara asked, giving Toby a warning look.

"Nothing, really." She shrugged. "He tried to be friendly, but there was something off about him. I recognized him from a picture Maya showed me. I said I didn't know where she was. He tried to press me, and I told him to get out. When he came again, I told him Maya had quit." Lacey threw her hands up. "I didn't know what else to do, and I thought he'd stop coming around if he thought she wasn't there."

"It wasn't a bad plan, Lace," Jackson said, laying a hand on her arm.

"Did he ever come back?" asked Delia.

"A couple of times, but he never talked to anyone, I don't think. Luckily it was at times Maya wasn't working. He stopped coming by, or at least I didn't see him again, so maybe he really did think she'd quit."

"What was this sh--what was with the phone calls?" Toby asked. Calmer now, he was able to watch his language around the older women.

"I don't know a lot about that," said Lacey. "Krista knows more, I think. I just know Maya got them and it was freaking her out. She was really stressed."

"She should have said something, god--" Toby swallowed. "She should have said something."

"I guess we all should have," Lacey said.

Krista came back and Toby jumped out of his chair. "What's going on? Where is she?"

"She's going to Landon's place," Krista said.

"What?" Toby stared at her.

"She's upset, and scared, and embarrassed, in no particular order, so she's going to stay with Landon. I'm going to get her things. No, Toby," she said as he stood up.

"What do you mean, no?" he demanded.

"I mean that Maya is beyond stressed and cannot deal with you right now," Krista said.

"But she can deal with Landon?" Toby was incredulous. "He barely knows her. They've only even been friends for about ten minutes."

"Tobias, sit down and let her go," Delia said.

Toby spun around, ready to argue, saw the look on Delia's face, and sat down.

"Go on, Krista," said Delia. "Give Maya our love and tell her to take her time."

Toby heard Krista walking around upstairs, then down the steps and out the door. When it closed behind her, all of the anger and confusion drained out of him.

"Tobias, love, are you all right?" Clara asked. She sat next to him and patted his hand.

The concern and sincerity in her voice drove home what an ass he'd been in a way no shouted comment ever could.

"I don't think so, Auntie Clara," he said. He leaned forward and put his face in his hands. "Christ, no, I am not."

PennLady
PennLady
1,733 Followers