Altering the Plans Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He smiled as she sighed in her sleep. The cool colors he'd seen in his mind when he'd first met her were no longer what he thought of when he looked at her. He saw warmer colors, maybe not bursting out, but they were there.

Toby lay for a while longer, ideas for a picture floating through his mind, and he decided he needed to try and get it on canvas. He hated leaving his bed while Maya was in it but he would try to be quick.

An hour later, he was deep into his painting and jumped when Maya knocked on the door to the room he used as a studio.

"Hi," she said. "Didn't mean to startle you."

"It's okay." He smiled as he took her in. She'd put on one of his t-shirts, which hung halfway down her thighs, and wrapped herself in a blanket.

She bit her lip. "Hope you don't mind I found a shirt. All my clothes are downstairs."

"No, help yourself." He liked her in his shirt.

"I just wanted to say hi. I can leave you to this if you want."

"No." He shook his head and held a hand out to her. When she came over, he put his brush down and pulled her against him, her back to his chest. "Mmmm." He pressed a kiss to the back of her neck and liked it when she shivered in response. "Morning."

She turned her head up and kissed him. "Morning. What are you working on?"

"You." He tightened his arms around her.

Maya laughed. "You have a one-track mind."

"I'm shocked," he said. "I am a serious artist. And your mind went there."

"I'm so terribly sorry." Maya snuggled against him. "I take it back."

"I'll let it go this time." Toby kissed her cheek. "But it's true. This is, well, how I see you. In these colors."

"Oh, wow." Maya studied the canvas as she leaned back against him.

"Sorry," Toby said. "I wish I did more realistic stuff, but that was never my strength." He'd never thought about it before, but now he did wish that he could do a lifelike portrait of Maya to capture her eyes, and her smile.

"No, no, I like it." Maya gripped his hands. "It's like you're painting how I feel. I'd rather that than how I look."

"I'm glad you like it."

"I know we both have to work later," said Maya, "and I have to see Allie and Gabe before they go, but we should find some time to talk." She turned to face him. "I know it might not do any good, but I want to take all this stuff with Dean to the police, or maybe a lawyer. Or both. We should get Lacey, Krista and Jackson in on it, too."

"Good idea. Have you thought about asking Landon what he thinks?"

"I did, but I don't know. He seemed so sick of anything to do with being a lawyer. I don't want to pressure him."

"Asking a question isn't pressure," said Toby, "so long as you'll take no for an answer."

"Did Auntie Clara say that?" Maya asked with a smile.

"No, Delia did, and it's true. And maybe Landon would like it if you asked him. Maybe he'd want to help." Toby remained skeptical about her stepbrother, but Landon had come through in the clutch. He decided to cut Landon some slack.

"All right, I'll ask him. I wanted to talk to him anyway."

"What about?"

"I haven't had a chance to tell you, but remember when I said I had something I was thinking about? I want to start my own dressmaking business. For drag queens. And whoever else, I guess, but I could specialize. I think I might do it." Maya took a breath. "Trinity and Roxxy thought it was a great idea. What do you think?"

"Do you want to do it?" he asked. "I mean, not just because it's there. Do you want to?"

"Yes, I think do." She nodded. "At least, I want to try. I know it'll be a lot of work, and there's no guarantee of success, but I like the idea of doing what I'm good at, and what I enjoy. If I can't find a job somewhere, why not make my own? And if I fail at it, at least I'll know I tried."

"I think that's a great answer." He kissed her. "If it's what you want, then I will do whatever I can to help you."

"Thank you." She hugged him. "I hoped you could. I don't know anything about setting up a business." She sighed. "I got through college, but didn't study business or anything like that, so I feel at a disadvantage. And I was hoping Landon could advise me on legal things, or help me find someone who can."

"Don't let the school thing stop you. I don't have a four-year degree, neither does Krista. You should talk to Clara and Delia, too," he said. "They've been around, and they have some connections."

"Good idea." She kissed him. "I'll let you get back to painting."

"Wait. I have an idea."

Maya gave him a puzzled look as he reached over to a table covered with brushes, paints, and other assorted supplies.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"You'll see." Toby dabbed a brush into some water and then paint and took one of her arms from under the blanket. "Here we go," he said with a wink.

He kept it simple and quickly painted a skull over two crossed guitars.

Maya laughed. "Marked as a metal head, am I?"

"Do you like it?" he asked.

"I do." She studied it. "It's a shame it won't last too long, but I'll take a picture." She glanced up and narrowed her eyes. "This is water-soluble paint, right? Or did you use something permanent?"

Toby chuckled and kissed her before he put the brush down. "It's just water colors. I usually use acrylics, but this will come right off."

"Thanks." She frowned. "I guess this is about as close to a tattoo as I'll ever get. I hope--is that okay?"

"Of course, it is." Toby rubbed her shoulders. "Look, I like what I do, and I'm good at it, but I don't care if you get one or don't. Besides, maybe you can let me practice some designs." He wiggled his eyebrows. "I can paint all kinds of things in all kinds of places."

"I was right. You do have a one-track mind."

"Are you kidding? This would all be in the service of art."

Maya chuckled and shook her head. "Of course it would be." She leaned against him for a minute, and he had to resist the urge to make love to her again right there on the floor. "All right," she said. "I should get moving. I was going to get a shower."

"Do that, and then we'll talk," said Toby. "You're right, you need to take this to the police, and I'll help. We all will."

"I know, and that makes it easier."

"Good."

x-x-x-x-x-x

"I can't wait for Sunday," Maya said to Lacey. For once they had the same shift at the coffee shop. Maya had dragged when getting up so early, but she had wanted to clear her evening. "Clara and Delia's dresses are almost done. I hope they like them."

"They will love them," Lacey said. "Every time I talk to them, they tell me how excited they are. Thank you so much for doing that, Maya."

"No need to thank me. It's been a lot of fun."

"Are you going to the gala?"

"I am." Maya smiled. "Toby even said he'd wear a tux." She couldn't wait to see him in it.

Lacey laughed. "That'll be something to see. Looks like we're all going, then. I was hoping to check out some more thrift shops soon for a dress."

"That sounds like fun," said Maya. "Maybe we can find a time to go with Krista and all find something. I'd be happy to do alterations."

"That would be great, if there's time," said Lacey. "But don't overload yourself."

"I know, I know." Maya nodded. "I don't mean to but I enjoy doing it. Besides, I need practice for my new business. Maybe you and Krista can model for me."

Lacey laughed. "We'll see about that. I guess you're feeling better then?"

"God, yes. So much better." Maya shook her head. "I should have gone to the police right away. Landon was so helpful, too. He might not like being a lawyer, but he's pretty good at it."

After talking with Toby, she had strategized with Landon on whether and how to approach the police. Toby had gone with her, and with his support she'd remained steady while speaking with an officer. Landon had been impressed with how she'd documented everything and had helped her organize the information to present it to the police.

It had also helped to speak to a sympathetic officer who had called in a social worker. The department, they told her, was trying a new approach to domestic violence cases. There hadn't been much they could do, but Maya felt better having filed her report. The next step was a restraining order. She didn't think the odds were great that she'd get one, but she decided she'd try.

"Landon seems really nice," said Lacey.

"He is." Maya nodded. "I hate to say it, but I wouldn't have expected it, not the way I knew him before. He's been great. He said he'd help me with the dress business, too."

"That's great," said Lacey. "Have you thought of any names yet?" She worked on cleaning behind the counter while Maya went onto the floor and wiped down the tables and chairs.

"Not really. I'll probably go with something simple, like 'Dresses by Maya.' Although I'm open to suggestions."

"I'll let you know if I think of anything."

Maya moved out to the floor to wipe down tables as Lacey cleaned up and organized behind the counter.

"We should take some coffee over to the tattoo shop after the shift," Lacey said. "You up for that?"

"Sure." Maya nodded. "Better remember a muffin for Jackson. I can't imagine how disappointed he'd be if we didn't."

"I think that man lives on sugar and caffeine," agreed Lacey. "You know how people say they can't even boil water? I think that's Jackson." She shook her head. "If we didn't feed him, I don't know what he'd do."

"Krista would say he'd mooch off someone else," said Maya and they both laughed. "But I don't think it's true," she continued. "Jackson holds up his end of things, from what I can see."

"He absolutely does." Lacey nodded. "He's a great friend. He jokes around a lot, but he's there when you need him."

Maya smiled to herself, wondering if Lacey and Jackson knew how much each liked the other. If she was a matchmaker, she'd set them up, but she had a feeling they'd have to figure this out for themselves.

The door chimed and Maya turned to greet the customer. Her heart skittered when she saw Dean. Maya tried to steady her shaking hands by squeezing the cloth she was holding. She found herself frustrated; she was tired of being afraid of him, but she couldn't shake the residual fear of what he'd done before.

"I knew it. I fucking knew you still worked here." He glared as he advanced on her.

"Get out of here," said Maya, holding her ground. "And leave me alone."

Dean ignored her. "I told you, I know what you did, and if you think I'm going to take it lying down, you're completely fucking wrong."

"Sir, I'm asking you to leave," Lacey said, her voice calm and steady.

Maya looked over to see Lacey with her phone out, recording the interaction.

"Put that fucking phone away," Dean snarled and turned towards Lacey.

"Leave her alone," Maya said. She stepped in front of him, her anger outweighing her fear. "Get out. I've been to the police. I'll get a restraining order."

He barked a laugh. "You think that scares me? You might have gotten me fired, but I still know people."

"I didn't get you fired," Maya shot back. "If you think I put that much thought into you after I broke up with you, you are more self-centered than I thought."

Dean stepped towards Maya, but she refused to retreat.

"I warned you," he said. "You think you can just fucking upend my life?" He leaned ever-so-slightly forward, into her personal space. "You think I don't know that you and the low-lifes at that tattoo shop planned this? Oh, yeah, I know." He gave her a malicious grin. "I followed you, and you're so goddamned stupid you never noticed."

At the mention of being followed, Maya felt a jolt of adrenaline as her anger turned to fury.

"Get the fuck out," she said. "I didn't get you fired, you asshole. I wouldn't waste my time on you." She took another step forward, forcing him back. "You're not fucking worth it."

"Goddammit, Maya--" Dean reached out to grab her arm, but Maya dodged.

"Maya, I'm calling the police," said Lacey. She reached for the store phone by the register, keeping her phone recording all the while.

"Oh, Jesus Christ." Dean threw his arms up. "The police? Seriously?"

"Yes, the police," Maya said. "And yes, I'm serious. You're a bully, and I am done with you. I don't imagine a police record will help in finding a new job. Get. Out."

"You will all be so fucking sorry." Dean glared and then stalked out.

Maya was sure she hadn't seen the last of him, but part of her was almost euphoric that she'd stood up to him and that as he had with others, he'd caved.

Lacey replaced the phone and exchanged a relieved look with Maya.

"Are you okay?" Lacey asked.

"I am." Maya nodded, then grinned. "I did it."

"You did." Lacey came around and gave her a hug. "I was worried for you, though."

"I guess I should have been, but I was just so angry."

"I don't blame you." Lacey blew out a sigh and ran a hand over her face. "Well, that was excitement I hadn't planned on."

"Tell me about it." Maya covered a yawn as her adrenaline rush faded.

She finished her shift, her mind replaying the events and wondering what she should or could have done differently. She believed Dean when he said it wasn't over. What would he do?

x-x-x-x-x-x

Later that night, Toby watched as Maya paced his living room, recounting what had happened.

He was furious that Dean had shown up and threatened Maya, and Lacey, but tried to keep it from showing too much. It wouldn't help, and he didn't want to upset Maya, who was already distraught.

"I don't know what to do next," she said, throwing her hands up. "I don't understand why he's fixated on me. He never cared about me. And as for his job, I don't get it. He seemed to know so many people, getting another job doesn't seem like a big deal."

"Next you get the restraining order, like you said. Have you talked to Landon?"

"Yes. He said he'll go with me to make sure I fill out the forms properly and he's looking around to see if there's a lawyer I can work with. I'm sure Dean will have one."

"Okay, that's a plan. What else is bothering you?" Toby asked.

"I'm worried." Maya rubbed her forehead. "I don't know what he'll do, or even what he might be capable of, or how quickly I can get the restraining order. He's followed me, which makes me kind of sick. He's hurt me, what if he hurts someone else? What if he does something to your shop? Or at the drag club?" She stopped and took his arm. "My god, Toby, what if he does something to Auntie Delia or Clara?"

"Hey, hey, calm down." He led her over to the couch and pulled her onto his lap. Focusing on Maya made it easier to keep his temper down. "Don't go worrying about things that haven't happened yet."

"I don't want anything to happen to anyone." Her hands started to shake again and Toby took them in his own.

"Maya, slow down." He rubbed her hands until her breathing evened out, then pulled her down into a gentle kiss.

Maya sighed and tried to relax. "I'm sorry. I don't mean to be so crazy."

"It's fine," Toby said. "I just hate to see you so upset. We'll figure something out." He brushed her hair back. "I'm not trying to downplay anything, I promise. We'll talk to someone, maybe that social worker from the police station. We'll all be careful. I do think one thing is important, though."

"What?"

"I don't think you should go anywhere alone, okay?" He rubbed her shoulder. "I don't know if he's telling the truth about following you, but let's not take the chance."

"You're right." Maya nodded, then tried for a smile. "I also appreciate that you're keeping calm. Because I bet you're pretty angry."

"I am always--put out when people I love are in bad situations."

Maya laughed. "That's an understatement."

"It is, but I'm serious." He tipped her chin up. "I can't help it. I've always been protective of people; Krista could tell you stories. But this is more than that. I don't like what he's doing, or says he's doing. I know you haven't had good luck with the police in the past, but I'm glad you're trying."

"I'm not optimistic," she admitted, "but I know I need to. If it was just me, I'd find a way to deal with it. But I can't leave it alone when he's threatening you and the others.

"If it was just you, I wouldn't let you leave it alone," Toby said. He struggled with what to say, to let her know that she was just as important as anyone else and deserved proper protection. "Maya, you have to realize that you matter, too." He smiled. "I do remember one other thing from Drag Race."

She gave him a puzzled look. "What?"

"At the end of every episode, RuPaul would say, if you don't love yourself, how the hell can you love someone else? And it's a good point," he said.

Maya laughed. "I didn't think I'd ever be getting relationship advice from you via RuPaul."

"Inspiration comes from odd places." He brushed her hair back again, then trailed his finger down her neck. "Look, the point is, you don't deserve to be treated the way Dean's been treating you. I believe it, and you need to believe it, too."

"I'm trying." Maya sighed. "It's all just very daunting." She shivered as his finger wandered down her neck, to her shoulder, then around the collar of her shirt. "You're distracting me."

"Yeah." He smiled and kissed her. "Is it working?"

"It might be. Guess you'll have to try again."

"Lucky for you, my evening is free." He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into a deep, slow kiss.

"Good thing, because as nervous as I am, I don't think I'll be sleeping much."

"We'll see what we can do about that."

Toby kissed her again and sighed as she threaded her fingers into his hair. He coaxed her lips apart and swept his tongue against hers. She made a soft, surprised noise when he left her lips and kissed along her jaw, then her neck, finding that irresistible spot that made her tremble.

"Ready to go upstairs?" he asked.

She nodded, breathless from the kiss.

In his room, he sat on the bed and stood her before him, slowly stripping off her clothes. He kissed the exposed areas of skin, smiling to himself as she gasped and whimpered and her fingernails dug into his shoulders.

"Hey, I have an idea," he said.

"What?" she asked, her eyes bright.

"I'll be right back. Lie down on the bed." He pushed the covers back for her.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"It's a secret." Toby grinned, kissed her hard, and slipped out of the room. When he returned, she was on the bed but sitting with her arms around her knees, which he thought was a shame because it hid her lovely breasts.

"What's that?" she asked, eyes narrowed.

"I figured I could practice some designs," he said. He set up a folding table and then put some tubes of paint on it along with a couple glasses of water. When he had them ready, he looked at her and shook his head. "No, this won't do."

"What?"

He sat on the bed and moved her arms to her sides, then nudged her knees down. "I need to uncover my canvas."

Puzzled but amused, she helped him remove her jeans, but then insisted he take off his shirt. "I need something to look at, too," she teased, then ran her tongue along the center of his chest up to his chin.

He swallowed as his cock jumped, somewhat uncomfortable in his jeans. Later, he told himself.

"Come on, lie back," he said. He dipped a brush into some water and mixed it with some yellow paint.

"What are you--oh." Maya sucked in a breath and tried to hold still as Toby dragged the paint brush over her skin. "You'll--you'll get paint on the sheets," she said breathlessly.

He shrugged and nipped at her earlobe. "I don't care. They wash."

Taking his time, Toby drew all kinds of nonsense designs on her body. There were swirls and figure eights and whatever else it came into his head to do. Sometimes he kissed her and let his hand wander with the brush over her stomach, or her thigh.