Altering the Plans Ch. 08

Story Info
Maya plans for the future.
10.4k words
4.86
6k
13

Part 8 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/04/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PennLady
PennLady
1,733 Followers

Content warning: this story features a main character who leaves an abusive relationship, and whose ex engages in harassment post breakup. I would characterize it, in terms of storytelling, as "mild", although I realize that no abuse is mild or justified.

Chapter 8

The next day Maya went to meet Landon at the Blue Dahlia, her stomach churning. Toby had gently tried to get her to eat some breakfast, but tea was the most she could manage.

Landon opened the door as she walked up. "Hey, Maya," he said. "How are you doing?"

She tried to smile but could see from Landon's expression it didn't quite work. "I'm doing," she said. "I'm here, at least."

"Come on." He held the door for her as she walked in, then couldn't seem to decide what to do. He raised his arm as though to put it around her shoulder, frowned and dropped his hand again, then put a hand on her arm to guide her over to a table.

Maya sympathized. Despite the progress they'd made in making a relationship between them, she often didn't know quite what to do around Landon. She'd hugged him a couple of times, spontaneously, but she never knew if he'd mind, and she didn't want to press him. She shook her head. They'd figure it out, and these were minor obstacles; the main thing was that they were becoming friends after so many years of not.

"Are you okay?" he asked as they sat down.

"I am. I'm just nervous." Maya gripped her purse to keep her hands from shaking. "I've never done anything like this before."

"Look, it's pretty common, and pretty straightforward," Landon said. "I realize this doesn't make it a lot better, but you aren't the first person to do this. I hope you don't mind, but I got in touch with a friend of mine, a lawyer. I thought she could help, since I'm not licensed."

"Thanks. I appreciate it." Maya wasn't sure how she'd afford a lawyer, but she'd worry about that later.

"Don't worry about the cost," Landon said as though reading her mind. "She works with a legal aid group and they have a sliding scale. It'll be fine, and I'll help if it's still too much."

"Okay, thanks." She took a deep breath. "It's still a little hard accepting help, but yes, that's great."

"Roger and Denise sure messed us up, didn't they?" Landon said with a wry smile.

"They did, but at least we're working on fixing it."

Landon checked his phone. "Hold on, I'll be right back. Irene's here." He walked over to the door and came back to the table with a woman who projected cool and calm.

Maya hoped some of it would rub off on her.

"Maya, this is Irene Chang. Irene, this is my stepsister, Maya Stone."

"Hello, Maya. Good to meet you." Irene smiled and shook her hand as she sat down. "Landon tells me you have a stalker."

"I guess so," said Maya. Irene was slim and wore an elegant suit, and her sleek black hair was pulled back. She was no taller than Maya, but had a presence that Maya was sure came across in a courtroom.

"First thing," said Irene, "is you can't be afraid of the words, or of him. You need to be confident. Not arrogant or aggressive. That won't play well in front of a judge, even though it should be irrelevant."

"Right, a judge." Maya swallowed. "I looked up the process online."

Irene smiled. "Don't worry, we're not talking a big Law & Order setup here. We will go fill out the forms for a restraining order, then we'll get a date for a hearing, which should be a couple of days later. Then the judge will issue, or not, the order."

"What if he doesn't?"

"Don't worry about that yet," said Landon.

"Landon's right," Irene said. "Anyway, back to the details. You need to call it what it is. If your ex hit you, he hit you, he didn't 'accidentally' do anything. Don't soften it. Don't exaggerate, but don't downplay it."

"All right." Maya nodded. "You're the boss."

"Actually, you're the boss," said Irene, "but the smart bosses delegate to those who know what they're doing." She winked and patted Maya's hand. "Seriously, I won't do anything you don't want me to do, and I will explain every step of the way."

"Okay. Thanks."

"Before we go, can you give me a quick rundown of what's happened? I've read the information Landon gave me, but I'd like to hear it from you."

Maya took a breath, collected her thoughts, and then laid it out for Irene, trying to follow her advice of being calm and confident, and describing things accurately. Even though it had been some time, recounting the times that Dean had physically and verbally assaulted or accosted her were difficult, and it was an effort to keep her voice steady. She was grateful for Landon's presence, smiling when he put a hand on her arm in support.

Irene was pleased that Maya had documented her interactions with Dean and had it organized into files and folders on flash drives.

"That will be helpful," said Irene. "Evidence is good. I don't know if we'll need it all but I'd rather have too much than not enough. I'll take these and look them over later."

"Of course," said Maya. "Let me know if you need anything else."

"Ready to go?" Landon asked.

"Not really, but let's do it," said Maya.

"Irene?" he asked.

"Yes, let's go." Irene stood and took Maya's hand. "I know this is hard, but you can do it. I'm your advocate, but it's important that you advocate for yourself, too."

"I will."

With Irene's help, Maya filled out the paperwork and was relieved when she was granted a temporary restraining order. Irene arranged for Dean to be served the papers, and a hearing was set for the day after next.

"There, that was a good day's work," Irene said as they left the courthouse.

"It was, thank you so much." Maya couldn't resist giving Irene and then Landon a hug. "Both of you, I couldn't have done it without you."

"You're welcome." Landon smiled. "Happy to help. Looks all that law stuff was useful after all."

"I don't mean to be pessimistic," said Irene, "but remember this isn't quite over."

"Okay." Maya nodded, her excitement fading at Irene's words.

"That said, try to think positive," said Irene. "I'd be surprised if you don't get the permanent RO, especially with the evidence you have, but you never can tell."

"I suppose not." Maya sighed. "And I'm sure Dean will have some high-powered lawyer at the hearing."

"Don't worry about that," advised Irene. "Don't worry about what you can't control. I'll call you later and we'll see about witnesses, okay?"

"All right. Thank you again, Irene."

"Just doing my job." Irene smiled. "I'll see you tomorrow. I'm sure you would anyway, but dress nicely. Work casual, or maybe a step up. Doesn't have to be too dressy."

"I want to project an image," said Maya. "Calm and confident."

"Exactly." Irene nodded.

Irene said goodbye and called a Lyft. After she'd gone, Landon walked Maya back to Chandler Designs.

"Holding up okay?" Landon asked.

"Yeah, I think so. I didn't expect to get the TRO today. I mean, I just didn't want to get my hopes up." She sighed. "I'm sure Dean will have a fit when he gets the papers."

Landon shrugged. "Good. Let him have one. If he acts like that in court, it would work to your advantage."

"I guess. I hate to ask everyone to come to the hearing." Maya frowned. "I wonder if I really need to."

"Yes, you do," said Landon. "I know it isn't my specialty, but I think you should come ready for anything. Whatever evidence you have, bring it. Witnesses, too. I'm sure Toby and the others will come."

"I know, I know." Maya nodded. "You're right. I need to prioritize myself, I guess. And I promised Toby I'd ask for help when I need it, and I need it."

"You do." Landon squeezed her hand. "I'm the big brother right now, so I say you do."

Maya laughed. "Then I will." Her stomach growled and she blushed. "I guess I should eat something."

Landon rolled his eyes. "I honestly don't know how you make it through the day sometimes."

A few more minutes brought them to the tattoo shop, and Maya found herself enveloped in a bear hug from Krista before she'd taken three steps in.

"Hi," Maya said as she patted Krista's back.

"Hi. How did it go?" Krista looked anxious.

"I got the temporary restraining order," Maya said.

"Thank god," said Krista. "Was it hard?"

"No." Maya shook her head. "It really wasn't. You know me, I was nervous, but Landon helped and a friend of his, Irene, is a lawyer and she's working with me. She's amazing. She'll be at the hearing."

"Hold on, and you can tell all of us in a few minutes," said Krista. "Toby and Jackson are finishing up with clients. There's food for you in the break room."

"What?" Maya blinked. "Food?"

Krista grinned and nodded at Landon. "Our favorite bartender texted me earlier and said you hadn't eaten. There's a cheeseburger and fries in an insulated bag. Go eat."

"Did you really do that?" Maya turned to Landon.

He shrugged and scuffed the floor. "Yeah. I knew you probably wouldn't have anything before we went to the court house. You did that when you came to my place, and believe it or not, I remember you doing the same thing in high school before big exams and such."

"You do?" Maya stared at him.

"Yeah." He nodded. "I'm sure I didn't think anything of it at the time, but I noticed. And I'm sorry I never said anything."

"It's okay." Maya smiled and hugged him. "You're more than making up for it." She didn't care if either of them felt awkward; Landon deserved another hug.

"Yes, he is," said Krista, and hugged Landon as well.

Maya covered a smile as Landon's eyebrows jumped nearly to his hairline.

"Um, well." Landon cleared his throat. "I better get back to the club. Maya, you should text Trinity and let her know how things went. She and Roxxy were worried. I'll be in touch about the hearing, okay?"

"Okay. Thanks again, Landon."

He nodded, said goodbye to Krista and left.

Maya laughed once he was out of earshot. "You sure surprised him with that hug. You should have seen his face."

"Oh, should I not have?" Krista asked. She bit her lip. "I didn't mean to cross any lines. I was just so pleased you got the TRO and that you guys seem to be becoming friends."

"It's fine," Maya assured her. "I think he's like me. He doesn't expect that kind of reaction from people. We aren't from the most expressive family."

"That's too bad," said Krista. "Toby and I aren't either, and I guess sometimes I go overboard to make up for it."

"That's fine," May said. "I think that's an excellent approach."

"Okay, you go have your food," said Krista. "Toby will come back when he's done."

"Thanks." Maya went back to the breakroom and was halfway through the burgers and fries when Toby came in.

"Hey." He kissed her on the cheek. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah." She told him what had happened, and about the hearing. "Can you come? It would mean a lot to me if you were there. Landon says I should pull out all the stops."

"Maya, I couldn't not go. I love you." He smiled and brushed her hair back. "We have an interest in addition to wanting you safe. He threatened us, too."

"You're right. And we have the footage of it, right?"

He nodded. "It's on the flash drive."

"Okay. Okay." Maya drank some water and took a breath. "Thanks, I--"

"Where the hell is she!"

Maya almost dropped her water when she heard Dean yell from the front of the store. She set the bottle down, and carefully put the lid on, the activity forcing her hands to be steady. She could hear Krista yell back, but for a moment was frozen to her seat.

Toby clenched his jaw, but otherwise didn't react aside from taking one of her hands in his. "It'll be fine," he said, his voice even but with an angry undercurrent. "You have the TRO and we'll call the police. We also have the security cameras."

"I know." Maya swallowed. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, riding out the emotions that roiled whenever she had to think about Dean. She kept hoping it would be easier, but memories of his attacks, physical and verbal, swirled through her mind.

"It's okay." Toby shifted and drew her against him. "Take your time."

"No, we can't leave Krista out there alone." Maya pressed against him and then stood up.

Toby held her hand as they left the breakroom. She was relieved to see that Jackson had come out to be with Krista.

"There you are. What the fuck is this?" Dean's face was red as he advanced on Maya, waving a paper that she assumed was the TRO.

"Get out of my store," Toby said firmly, stepping in front of Maya.

"Shut the fuck up, this has nothing to do with you," Dean snarled at Toby and focused on Maya. "You think this means anything? You think you can embarrass me with this?"

Maya stepped forward. "Dean, it's a restraining order, and you're in violation of it. Get out."

"I'm not going fucking anywhere." He glared. "You think you can ruin my life?"

"Krista, call the police," Toby said. He crossed his arms and fixed his eyes on Dean. "Tell them we have someone here in violation of a court order."

"Already on it," said Krista.

"I'll see you at this goddamned hearing," Dean seethed, "and then I will make your life miserable. This--" he shook the paper in Maya's face "--means nothing." He turned and stomped out.

Maya sagged against Toby, grateful for his arms around her. She was pleased with herself for holding her ground against Dean, but this confrontation on top of obtaining the TRO had taken it out of her. She wanted nothing more than to go home.

"Well, that was something." Krista ran her hands through her hair.

"No kidding," said Jackson. He shook his head. "That guy just does not learn."

"Kris, why don't you take Maya home," said Toby. "We'll be good for the rest of the day."

Krista nodded. "Yeah, that sounds good. I was going to see where Lacey is, too. Maybe we can all go together."

"I'll see you later, okay?" Toby said. Maya nodded, and he kissed her forehead. "Take it easy. Try not to worry."

Maya did her best to take his advice. They waited for the police and explained what happened, then showed them the security came footage to prove Dean's violation of the order. She called Irene to let her know what had happened. Irene said Dean would likely be found in contempt of court and potentially fined, and advised Maya to continue being vigilant until the hearing.

Maya was relieved to be home, where she focused on researching how to start a business and finishing Clara and Delia's dresses. Krista suggested that after the hearing, they have a girls' day out and look for dresses to wear to the gala. Maya liked the sound of that, and held on to it as a reward.

At last the time passed and she and Toby went to meet Landon and Irene at the club, which was a good halfway point to the courthouse.

"What is all this?" Trinity asked as she saw the group at the bar. "Hello, Maya." Trinity gave Maya a hug and an air kiss. "Hey, it's the strong, silent one. How've you been?"

"Good, thanks." Toby nodded. "You?"

"Fine. What is going on?" Trinity stared at the group. "You're all dressed so--nicely. Toby, you're even in dress slacks. I didn't think you had any."

"We're going to the hearing," Landon said. "You know how it is, appearances count."

"The hearing for the restraining order?"

"Yes," said Maya. She gave Trinity a brave but shaky smile. "I got the temporary one, now we go for the big one."

"Would you like me to come, sweetie?" Trinity asked. "I promise to behave myself."

"That might not be a bad idea," said Landon. "You saw him, right? The day you met Maya?"

"I did. He was a complete dick."

"If you have the time, I'd appreciate it," said Maya. "I want all the bases covered."

"Smart girl. I'm ready when you are."

They met Krista, Lacey and Jackson at the courthouse, introduced Irene to everyone, and headed inside. In the courtroom, Maya sat between Toby and Irene. Charles, Krista, Lacey, and Jackson sat a row behind with Landon. Being surrounded by her friends calmed her a little, and she reminded herself that she was in the right, taking steps to protect herself.

Even so, she tensed and grasped Toby's hand when Dean stalked into the room with his lawyer. His lawyer looked every bit as high-powered as Maya had imagined, but also annoyed. He didn't hide his eye rolls when Dean muttered at him. When Dean spied Maya, his face darkened and he took a step towards her, but his lawyer managed to stop him before he said anything.

Irene leaned over. "Stay calm, Maya."

Maya nodded despite her racing heart. "It's good. I'm okay." Even if I'm not, I'll pretend I am, she thought, and her effort received a boost when Toby rubbed his thumb over the back of her hand in a soothing gesture.

Dean turned and found Maya. He started to give her a malicious glare, but did a double take when he saw the group with her.

"I think the dick is having a reality check," Charles said quietly.

"I think so," Maya agreed.

When her case was called, Maya followed Irene's lead. Irene laid out the facts, and Maya answered the judge's questions calmly and concisely. Dean seethed as the judge called a couple of witnesses and they backed her up.

The judge turned to Dean's attorney and before the man had ten words out, Dean threw a fit. The lawyer tried to calm him down, but Dean was having none of it.

Maya glanced at Irene who shook her head slightly and leaned over. "If he's doing to do our work for us, I'm going to let him," Irene said in a low voice.

The judge's patience ran out quickly and he called for silence, but it wasn't until he threatened Dean with another contempt charge that he got it.

The judge granted Maya the restraining order, and she was so relieved she had to swallow back tears.

Dean was still furious, but his lawyer let him have it, and this time the bluster went out of him.

With the copy of the order safe in her wallet, Maya felt better than she had in ages. She reminded herself to call Allie and Gabe; she'd been keeping them posted and couldn't wait to tell them.

"Why don't you all come to the club tonight and celebrate?" Charles asked as they left the courthouse. "Come a little early, Maya. Some of the girls want to talk to you about dresses."

"Sure, that sounds wonderful. Thank you so much." Maya squeezed his hand.

"Then tomorrow we'll go shopping for clothes for the gala," said Krista.

"Shopping? Gala? Tell me more," said Charles as they walked.

Maya let Krista and Lacey fill Charles in on everything with the gala. Her head was spinning with the events of the last couple of days and she could barely focus.

"You okay?" asked Toby.

"Yeah." She nodded.

"You sure? You don't exactly look it," he said with some concern.

"I am, really, but it's a lot. Part of me is euphoric at getting this, and the rest of me is trying to adjust to the fact that it's really happened."

"That's fair." He nodded.

"I think I'll still be scared, well, apprehensive for a while." Maya sighed. "I'd like to not be, but I can't help it. I really don't know if Dean will follow it."

"He might not, and I wish I could say otherwise," said Toby. "But you have some solid legal backing now. For what it's worth, he looked pretty shaken in court. Maybe all this got through to him."

"I hope so."

"Maya, Maya!" Krista hurried up to join her. "Guess what? Charles said he'd do our makeup for the gala. Won't that be great?"

"I can do yours, too, Toby," said Charles.

Maya burst out laughing at Toby's look of confusion.

"Relax, man, I was kidding." Charles grinned. "Nice to know you can be gotten."

"Please, it's bad enough I have to dress up. I can't remember the last time I wore a tux," said Toby.

"Senior prom?" asked Charles.

Toby raised an eyebrow. "Do I look like the type of guy who went to his senior prom?"

Charles laughed. "Point taken. I'll bet you did, though. You might not have settled into the full strong, silent persona at the time. All right kids, it's been fun. I'm off. See you tonight, Maya?"

PennLady
PennLady
1,733 Followers