Always Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The world suddenly didn't make sense. Here Raph was, a working-class guy, sitting beside the most beautiful woman at 'any' ball, and being chauffeured by billionaire Steve Barrett to dinner at a country club. Things like this weren't supposed to happen. Riley reached over and took his hand, bringing him back to Earth. He looked over and smiled, still not believing the impossible vision sitting next to him.

"I love you," he whispered.

"I love you too," she whispered back, squeezing his hand.

*****

The valet parking crew descended on the SUV as soon as it came to a stop in the circle drive of the main country club building. All three doors were opened by valets. Raph got out and quickly walked around to assist Riley but she was already out. The valet held her hand a little too long in Raph's opinion. When the valet finally released her hand, Raph reached to take it.

They were led into the elegantly decorated main hall. It was extravagance on steroids. Large crystal chandeliers, gold fixtures, and marble columns. They were led directly to The Antlers, the formal dining hall for the club. They were escorted to a table with seating for six. The waiter took their drink orders and Raph was relieved when Riley ordered sweet tea. Raph ordered the same.

"So who are we meeting tonight, Dad?" Riley asked.

"Will and Max Anderson. They're brothers from Las Vegas. They're old money, third-generation aristocrats. They have some oil interests in Nevada. They want a partnership to get their hands on some of our proprietary technology. In return, we get a cut of the profits. They're coming tonight to make their pitch. Riley, I will expect your input and this will be a joint decision. If it doesn't seem right to you and you vote no, then it's no deal."

Riley was surprised. She had been working hard at the office and trying to learn all she could but she had no idea that he would allow her to be a part of client negotiations. Her response was simple and understated. "Yes Sir."

The three of them talked casually for a few minutes until three smartly dressed men were shown to their table.

"Mr. Barrett," one of the older men said as they approached. Everyone stood as the men approached. Steve reached out to shake hands.

"Good to see you, Will," Steve said, shaking the man's hand.

"Let me introduce my brother, Max, and my son, Archibald," Will said. Max shook Steve's hand but Archibald was openly staring at Riley and completely ignoring Steve.

"Archibald," Will hissed.

Archibald seemed to come back to reality and quickly grabbed Steve's outstretched hand. Raph saw the winch flash across Archibald's face as Steve squeezed the smaller man's rather delicate-looking hand in his bear paw of a fist.

"Gentlemen," Steve said, "this is my daughter and Barrett Oil VP, Riley Barrett. This is her date, Raph Savage." Everyone shook hands and then Barrett invited everyone to sit. A waiter was there immediately to take the drink orders of the new arrivals.

The conversation quickly turned to business. Steve and Riley listened intently to the pitch made by the Anderson brothers. They both asked questions of the brothers. Raph could see the pride in Steve's eyes whenever Riley jumped in with a question or observation. Both of the Andersons seemed impressed with her knowledge and her questions as well. Archibald attempted to join the conversation but even Raph could tell his questions or comments were off the mark. It was like he knew the words, but not the context.

The food was ordered and delivered to their table. Raph and Riley both had the Chilean Sea Bass with a garden salad and twice-baked potatoes. Steve and Max had the Prime Rib with baked potatoes. Will had the t-bone while Archibald had a filet mignon.

When the business talk ended, Steve advised the brothers that he and Riley would take their offer under consideration and would discuss it further. He promised them an answer by the end of the following week. The conversation turned more general as the men discussed sporting teams and events.

"So, Raph was it? Are you in oil as well? I'm afraid I don't recognize your name," Will Anderson said.

"No, I'm a pilot," Raph said simply.

"Which airline?"

"Charter Air. It's a local charter service out of Amarillo."

"It's how Raph and I met," Riley interjected. "I chartered a flight to Austin and Raph was the pilot. We just hit it off," she said, reaching over to take his hand.

"Oh," Will said, a confused look on his face.

Archibald looked like he'd swallowed a turd. The look on his face was utter disgust.

"What type of plane do you fly?" Max asked to end the awkward silence.

"I started in single-engine piston planes such as the Cessna 172 and the Piper Comanche. I then moved up to multi-engine piston aircraft like the Beechcraft Baron. From there I certified on the single-engine turboprops such as the Cessna 208B and the Socata TBM-850. Finally, I checked out in multi-engine turboprop -- the Beechcraft King Air 250. My next step from here would be jet ratings. Our company doesn't have any jets yet, but we've seen enough growth in demand that we plan to have two jets within the next year or two so I'll get to start on my jet ratings then."

"Don't you have a jet?" Max asked Steve.

"Barrett Oil has a jet, yes."

"Well there you go," Max said to Raph. "Just go to work for Steve and you could start your jet rating now."

"I already have a job," Raph said, "with a company that hired me right out of college. They always make sure I get enough hours to keep advancing my training. They even pay for my ratings. They've taken me from a student pilot to a professional pilot with several ratings. If I wasn't dating Riley, Steve would have no idea who I was. I will not use my relationship with his daughter to curry favors or try to get something I haven't earned."

"But think of the doors he could open for you."

"I'd rather overcome those obstacles myself. I've never had anything handed to me. I've worked for everything I have, although in this crowd that may seem paltry. I'm not done. I have my whole life ahead of me and many new challenges. I look forward to overcoming those challenges by working hard and earning my way."

Raph feared his speech may not have gone over well with Steve, or Riley for that matter. As he turned back toward them, Riley was beaming at him and Steve had a satisfied smile on his face.

"Well said, young man," Steve said.

After the food was eaten, Steve invited the men out onto the patio for a cigar and brandy. Raph started to stay behind with Riley, but she had been invited to a table of young women who'd seen her and were waving her over.

"You can go with the boys," she said graciously. "I see some friends I'm going to say hi to."

"Okay," Raph said, leaning down to give her a peck on the lips before following the men out onto the patio.

Steve and the elder Andersons sat at a table. Each with a glass in one hand and a cigar in the other. Archibald sat at a table alone so Raph went over and pulled out a seat at his table.

"Mind if I sit?" Raph asked.

"Sure, whatever," he said, after a long pause.

Raph pulled the chair back and sat down.

"So, what do you do Archibald?" Raph said, just trying to start a dialog.

"I work for my father's company."

"What's your job there?"

"I do different jobs, as needed. I'm learning the whole operation so that I can take over when my father and Uncle Max finally retire."

"Wow, going to run the whole company. That's a lot of responsibility. I'm not sure I could handle all of that."

"No, I'm sure you couldn't. I've attended the best private schools. I have an MBA from Stanford. I've been groomed for this my whole life. You, well, you're an aerial taxi driver, no offense," he added like the insult was nullified.

"Well, it's a little more than that," Raph said diplomatically.

"So, why is Riley dating you?" he said as though it was some cosmic mystery.

"I'm afraid you'd have to ask her that," he said, trying to keep his voice even and quiet.

"I don't know what your game is but she will see through you and dump you like yesterday's garbage."

"I'm trying to figure out why any of this is your business, Archie."

"It's Archibald and it's my business why I care. Riley Barrett is out of your league. She's from a different world. You're just going to wind up embarrassing her, and her father. You have nothing to offer her. What could you ever buy her that she couldn't get with pocket change? You're just going to be a boat anchor for her. She'll see that soon enough and dump your blue-collar butt," he hissed, vitriol in his voice.

"I suppose I should just bail now to make room for someone more worthy of her -- yourself perhaps."

"Exactly. Riley Barrett and I would be this nation's next power couple. We could run this country."

"The last I checked, Riley wasn't really into world domination," Raph said. He was amazed by the balls of this man. All he needed was a cat and a Mike Myers makeover to make him the stereotypical B-movie villain. Raph was quickly going from anger to sympathy. There must be some serious mental issues going on for this guy to just come in here and make some sort of 'class' claim on Riley.

"Enjoy it while you can, Mr. Pilot. I give it less than a month before Riley realizes you're just after her money and sends you packing."

"I've never asked Riley or Steve for anything," Raph said, a little edge to his voice. Mentally challenged or not Raph was getting pissed.

"Oh, you will. It's human nature to want more, especially those of you who have so little. You envy those of us that have everything you've ever wanted. It's inevitable. The day will come when you ask her for something and the veil will be lifted from her eyes and she'll see you for what you are. A typical money-grubbing middle-class dreamer, trying to live the American dream the easy way, with someone else's money."

"You've never worked a day in your life, Archie. You've had everything handed to you. You've never had to work the crap shifts or extra hours. You've never had to work night jobs so that you could stay in school and get your degree. You've never started at the bottom rung of the ladder and worked your way up, pulling extra shifts and doing the grunt work. I've worked hard my whole life. I've earned the things I have and if I want more, I'll work harder.

"Riley is not some trophy that you and I are competing for. She's a human being with a mind of her own. So instead of us sitting here arguing about who she 'should' be with, I'm going to go and find her because as of this moment, she chooses to be with me," he said, getting up from his chair and turning away before Archibald could respond.

*****

Riley was talking with a group of the 'country club' regulars when Raph approached.

"Ladies, if you all will please excuse Miss Riley, she owes me a dance," Raph said, taking Riley by the hand and leading her toward the small dance floor where a live band was playing.

Every eye in the room was on Riley as she walked with him. Every man and he noticed several of the women watched her hungrily.

"You are the belle of the ball," Raph whispered in her ear. "And I am the luckiest man on the planet."

"Shameless flattery," she said, "but don't stop on my account," she smiled at him.

"I get lost in your beautiful hazel eyes, your lips are the most kissable I've ever seen or felt..."

"Okay, okay, that's enough," she giggled as they reached the dance floor. The song that had been playing came to an end, but the band immediately kicked off another cover song. They played 'I cross my heart' by Texas' own George Strait. Raph turned Riley to face him and wrapped his long arms around her waist. Riley reached up and wrapped her arms around his neck, laying her head against the base of his throat.

*****

Steve Barrett and the Andersons came in from the patio. Steve looked toward the table where Riley had been visiting. One of the girls saw him looking and pointed toward the dance floor. He turned and could only smile as he saw Raph and Riley, swaying slowly around the floor. Her eyes were closed but a smile played on her lips. Raph's head was bowed, turned to the side so his cheek rested lightly on top of her head. Steve's old heart warmed, seeing the happy contented look on his daughter's face.

"What does she see in him?" Steve heard Archibald say to his father.

"Hush," Will hissed.

"I'm serious," Archibald persisted. "What does that guy have to offer her?"

Steve turned slowly to face Archibald. "You see that smile on her face?" he said calmly. "That's what that young man has to offer. You will learn that there are things that no amount of money can buy."

Steve stood and watched until the song ended. Raph and Riley looked reluctant to break their embrace but finally parted. They saw Steve and the Andersons and walked toward them.

"It's been a great evening," Steve said, turning toward the Andersons. "I'm glad we had the chance to sit down and discuss your propositions and as I said, we will have a response by the end of next week."

"The pleasure was ours," Will Anderson said. "Steve, Riley, Raph, it was nice to meet you all."

Everyone shook hands and headed outside. Steve's SUV was already waiting as well as a Town Car for the Andersons. Raph helped Riley into the SUV before taking his seat next to her. Steve Barrett put the vehicle in gear and started toward home.

*****

Steve and Raph sat in the den talking while Riley had gone upstairs to change.

"You handled yourself well with the Anderson's tonight," Steve said. "Rich people can be pompous asses sometimes. Especially those that come from old money. They're not really in touch with the masses."

"Well, I admit, it was kind of hard to follow the conversations tonight but they seemed like nice people."

"What did you and Archibald talk about out on the patio? I can't imagine you two had too much in common."

"He was just telling me about his education and his work."

"In other words, bragging," Steve chuckled. "That boy has never worked a day in his life. He wouldn't know real work if it came up and bit him on the ass. I thought I heard Riley's name come up in your conversation," Steve said pointedly.

"Archibald seemed rather confused by the fact that Riley and I were together," Raph said simply.

"Did he now? And what did you tell him?"

"I just told him that if he wondered why she was with me, he needed to ask her because, to be honest, I have no earthly idea why she's with me," he confessed.

"Raph, I'm going to tell you something, man to man. Riley used to be the happiest child. She was always smiling and carefree. At the time, I wasn't Steve Barrett Oil Billionaire. I was just a guy trying to start my own business. I had a small 2 bedroom house in town, a wife, and a baby girl. I leveraged nearly everything to start my business and we had nothing, but that little girl was a ray of sunshine. When I finally got my business started and the money started rolling in my wife decided that she loved the money but not the work.

"Rose, my wife, figured out she could divorce me and get half of everything. She also insisted on alimony. The one thing she didn't fight for was custody of Riley. She just gave me full custody, left, and didn't look back. I was hurt, of course, but Riley was completely devastated. She lost her smile. She withdrew and became a different child. When she became a teenager, instead of rebelling, she became more studious. She threw herself into her school work, her athletics, everything. She graduated high school number one in her class. She went to college and earned a four-year degree in three years. She came back here and went to work and she's thrown herself into that as well. She's learned everything she can get her hands on. She's polite, generous, and gracious but she still wasn't happy. Not truly happy.

"I was at a loss for what to do. I'd tried everything I could think of. Then Riley takes a trip to see her mother. She still insisted on seeing her a few times a year. When she came back from her trip, I saw a glimpse of her childhood happiness. I thought maybe she and Rose had some sort of a breakthrough. A week or so later, I came home a few days early from a business trip and I smelled her grandmother's homemade spaghetti sauce. She hadn't made it in years. It was just one of the many things that she had lost interest in over the years. I walked into the kitchen and when I turned to the table, I saw it. It was back. Her smile had returned. The kind of smile that just outshines everything around her. Sitting next to her was the reason for that smile. You, Raph.

"I don't care if you're a millionaire or you push a broom for a living. You have awoken something in her that I feared was gone forever. She's happier at work, at home, and when the two of you are together, well, she just beams," Steve finished, his voice near cracking with emotion.

"I feel the same way when I'm with her. I'm happier than I've ever been before. She is so smart. She can be innocent and sweet but tonight, at dinner, she was like a completely different person. I could only watch in awe as she talked about business tonight. It was like watching a sleek and powerful tigress in its natural habitat. It was beautiful," he said.

"What are you boys talking about?" Riley asked as she walked soundlessly into the den on bare feet.

"You," both said in unison.

"Me? Why were you talking about me?" she asked, confused.

"About how beautiful you looked tonight," Raph offered.

"And how well you did talking to the Andersons," Steve added.

"You taught me well," she said, blushing.

"Well, it's getting late for this old man," Steve said, getting up. "Raph," he said, extending his hand.

"Goodnight, Steve," Raph said, standing and taking Steve's hand and shaking it.

"If you go home tonight, drive carefully. If not, keep the noise down," he said, winking at Riley as he turned and headed upstairs.

Riley blushed fully as she looked from her father and back to Raph who still stood with a stupefied look on his face.

She closed the distance between herself and Raph, rose onto her tiptoes, and kissed Raph lightly on the lips. "You looked so handsome in your suit tonight. Now how about we go upstairs and get you out of it," she said, taking hold of his tie and turning toward the stairs, leading him by still holding his tie over her shoulder.

"Yes ma'am," Raph said. He'd follow her anywhere.

*****

Raph opened his eyes as the sun began to peer through the window. The first thing that came into focus was Riley's beautiful face. Her eyes were still closed, her face serene. A wisp of hair had fallen in her face. Raph reached over and moved the hair, gently, with his finger, tucking it behind her ear. She stirred slightly, a small smile forming on her beautiful lips.

"Good morning," she whispered, her eyes still closed.

"Good morning, Beautiful," Raph whispered in return.

"I didn't want to open my eyes. I was afraid I was dreaming," she said, opening her hazel eyes and looking at Raph.

Raph leaned over and kissed her softly on the lips. "I'm the one who's living in a dream," Raph said. "Every day that I wake up and receive that first text or call from you, the dream continues. Waking up here, with you, it's like a fairy tale. People like me are not supposed to get a woman like you. I worry that even though he's an insufferable ass, maybe Archibald is right. I don't want to be an embarrassment to you, or hold you back from anything."

Riley quickly raised on her elbow. The sheet slid down, exposing one perfect breast. "He said that?"

"Well, I think he had hoped that I would step aside graciously -- making room for him."

"What?" she asked, her eyes wide. "He wanted you out of the way so 'he' could move in?"